Domino's Delivery Robots

Local Dominos had 30 orders in the first few hours of opening so this would be a Godsend. I've been on a health kick of late but ordered Pizza Hut yesterday =/ 3 times a year can't hurt.

Am I the only one that finds it weird that we have the meat men making the pizzas and the robots delivering them? As a young lad I imagined things the other way around.
i agree. about a BILLION less variable in a kitchen. far easier to automate than driving and delivery.

Am I the only one that finds it weird that we have the meat men making the pizzas and the robots delivering them? As a young lad I imagined things the other way around.
Meat men? You mean meat bags?

But yes it is odd that this might happen first, supposedly McDonald's considered automating everything several decades ago. They decided against it according to economic impact is what I heard

Meat men? You mean meat bags?

But yes it is odd that this might happen first, supposedly McDonald's considered automating everything several decades ago. They decided against it according to economic impact is what I heard

McDonald's is consistently reducing labor requirements. I don't know that they're planning to go all the way, but little changes add up. Gadgets to put ketchup and mustard on at once, automated drink dispensing, order kiosks and mobile ordering; I don't think I've seen McD's use conveyor belts to cook patties, but Carl's does and I've seen them at some pizza places too. Of course, when McD's got cajoled into making food to order in the late 90s, instead of having burgers ready to go, that probably dropped efficiency a lot, but they seem to have gotten back to pretty close in the years since.

McDonald's is consistently reducing labor requirements. I don't know that they're planning to go all the way, but little changes add up. Gadgets to put ketchup and mustard on at once, automated drink dispensing, order kiosks and mobile ordering;
Circa 2006 they had the first two (drive-through drinks anyway), not sure on mobile ordering though.

i agree. about a BILLION less variable in a kitchen. far easier to automate than driving and delivery.

I imagine a lot of the work that was made for that automated delivery car was not for delivering pizza but the global effort of automatic driving that has been going on since the 80s (i.e. they would have not done it in that order if it was only about automating pizza, but using already made tools for automating driving made it possible)

I imagine a lot of the work that was made for that automated delivery car was not for delivering pizza but the global effort of automatic driving that has been going on since the 80s (i.e. they would have not done it in that order if it was only about automating pizza, but using already made tools for automating driving made it possible)
possibly, but I really think automating pizza making would have been way easier. to where Dominos could have done it alone without a global effort.

I like it! Get a pizza delivered and not having that awkward tipping conversation in your head "If this was a $20 meal, tip $3-4 no problem... but this guy drove here and maybe also has to pay for gas so...." the more tipping gets removed from this culture the happier I'll be as a consumer. That said I'd have to subject myself to eating Dominos pizza, which yeah...

This is what the $15+ a hour fast food people don't realize...how easily they are replaced

Exactly, plus how is the autonomous vehicle going to respond when it gets hijacked by one of the myriad of homeless people in CA :D.

Just what we need.. a slow ass vehicle that has no qualms about driving down the center median of the road.

Oh, and the whole point of ordering delivery is so I don't have to go out in the rain etc. to get it. With this I'll still have to walk out to the curb and get soaked....

Thanks, but no thanks.

They have them. Costco uses them for a good portion of their process. Right now I like to think companies are giving workers a fair shot but the $15 minimum wage for minimum work is defiantly going to amp up the automation.

possibly, but I really think automating pizza making would have been way easier. to where Dominos could have done it alone without a global effort.
They easily can if they want. It's just a matter of scaling and cost. I have no idea how much that stuff costs, but perhaps it isn't worth switching to yet.

There are pizza "vending machines" that don't simply dispense a frozen pizza, they make the entire pizza in the machine.

As a customer I can't wait for things to become more automated because the orders are less likely to be messed up, it's more hygienic, etc.

Dominos is the best chain pizza. I personally prefer local places tho. Hard to beat dominos prices for a large 3 topping pizza for $7.99.

They still deliver by bicycle by the campus in Lafayette. 🤷‍♂️

Sometimes with Tortinos the square Pizza the cheese doesn't melt because it's made of plastic.

I know a guy at work who eats a bag of 30 or 50 pizza rolls or pocket bites everyday for lunch I mean everyday.

embrace the autonomous car revolution

bean.gif

Dominos for me is one step above buying a frozen pizza at the store if I want quick(ish) food
Sometimes with Tortinos the square Pizza the cheese doesn't melt because it's made of plastic.

I know a guy at work who eats a bag of 30 or 50 pizza rolls or pocket bites everyday for lunch I mean everyday.
Sounds like Little Caesar's "pizza" that used to be the bomb back in the day, get like 2 pizzas for $8 or whatever, feed it to hungry kids/teens they don't know what good pizza tastes like and no leftovers!

Of course now I'd just do that with Costco pizza which is not half bad all this considered, just a major lack of options.

Dominos for me is one step above buying a frozen pizza at the store if I want quick(ish) food

Sounds like Little Caesar's "pizza" that used to be the bomb back in the day, get like 2 pizzas for $8 or whatever, feed it to hungry kids/teens they don't know what good pizza tastes like and no leftovers!

Of course now I'd just do that with Costco pizza which is not half bad all this considered, just a major lack of options.
Little Caesar is still pretty cheap. You can get a large pepperoni for $6. They are not that bad but nothing great either.

Good! The sooner we adopt this technology then the better we'll be. The less humans on the road the safer I'll feel.

Exactly, plus how is the autonomous vehicle going to respond when it gets hijacked by one of the myriad of homeless people in CA :D.
Someone will probably get ran over trying to rob one. And the intersection will be turned into another anarchic autonomous zone.

"But still, do you tip it?"

Probably easier than tipping a cow

This is what the $15+ a hour fast food people don't realize...how easily they are replaced
Replacement, now that's a fun topic. As if $15/hr much of a wage anymore 😂

Most of these people already been replaced, but not by robots. Of course, their replacements will soon be obsolete too. The same people outsourcing the labor will guilt trip you into using less carbon because we are becoming "overpopulated". Similar to how they will convince you it's a good idea to import labor globally so you can enjoy cheaper consumer products, they will convince you we need robots and subsequently UBI for the people who are no longer able to work.

Meanwhile the cost of housing, education, and everything else has gone through the roof. Want to start a family? Hope you're significantly ahead of the economic curve your parents and their parents faced.

The only Pizza worse than Dominos is Toninos.

Totinos pizzas are definitley near the bottom of the heap. I would add the chain Hungry Howies to the terrabad list but I'm not sure they are still in business, the one that was near us was changed to the Hungry Hippie. At that place the cardboard box was better tasting than the pizza.

Back