Do you lube your mouse?

jesteadt

n00b
Ok, that title sounds disgusting, but it should get your attention, eh?

I'm getting a new plastic base mousepad (fUnc 1030) from newegg.com, and I hear people talk about using teflon tape "mouse feet", or sometimes using pledge on the plastic pad, or some sort of liquid synthetic polymer that fUnc or ratpadz makes. The pledge worries me since I use an optical mouse.

Should I get something like that? Sounds kinda gimmicky to me. What's your experience?

And while I'm on the topic of mouse pads and whatnot, do you clean your mouse and/or mousepad? Especially if you use any pledge or other liquid based low friction space age stuff...

Thanks,
Jesteadt

DR_K13 said:
use k-y just kidding :D

hoo boy... :rolleyes:

I need that stuff Chevy Chase put on the sled in the christmas vacation movie... anybody know where I can pick some of that up? :D

Anyway, any serious help is appreciated.

Ultimate mouse+pad combo:

Logitech MX500 + Ratpadz GS + CS Hyde C4 + CS Hyde mousefeet

Slickened up with simple coconut oil (mmm. smells like chocolate. :D ) Pledge and all that other stuff (which I tried) are too "chemicaly" and are too thick (attract tooo much dust). Coconut oil is thin and doesn't attract too much dust; plus, it spreads out better. In the end, this combination is the next best thing to a mouse on an air bearing.

ajm786 said:
Ultimate mouse+pad combo:

Logitech MX500 + Ratpadz GS + CS Hyde C4 + CS Hyde mousefeet

Slickened up with simple coconut oil (mmm. smells like chocolate. :D ) Pledge and all that other stuff (which I tried) are too "chemicaly" and are too thick (attract tooo much dust). Coconut oil is thin and doesn't attract too much dust; plus, it spreads out better. In the end, this combination is the next best thing to a mouse on an air bearing.

Logitech MX510

heheheh THE BEST MOUSE YOU CAN BUY!!!!!!!!!!!
went from a MX700 to a MX510 OMFG WHAT A DIFFERNCE.......

you dirty boy!... lubing your mouse EWWWWWWWWWWWWWW i say to use the "wet platnum" u can get it from lovers lane and it wont harm latex............ lolz jk

That warming KY really makes games hotter! :D

Now seriously, you could give those mouse feets a try. I have X-trac Eels under my MX700 and frankly, I haven't noticed any difference.

Then again, I don't use a mousepad...

Well, I just ordered a 30 pack of mouse feet from CS Hyde, so we'll see how much difference they make. For less than $5, it's hard to argue that it isn't worth trying it out. I'm curious about the pledge idea. Anybody have a reason NOT to use pledge?

You don't really have to use harsh chemicals at all. Just use a wash cloth with water and wipe your pad clean. I got mouse feet for my mouse along with a teflon sheet and it's the best, way smoother than even the FuncPad.

I have a MS optical, RadPadGS, and "mouse skates" (teflon tape for the feet).

The best results I've gotten is when everything is very, very clean; I use some IPA (isoprop alcohol) and a clean cloth and really clean the crud off. Works great..... :cool:

Rock On - B.B.S.

I've got the feeling that my mosue feet are worn up, but I dont really care...it seems that the cheapo mice survive better because they have harder pads..

lol, this may sound crazy but i just put some shampoo on a paper towel and start wiping my mouse/keyboard/mousepad w/ it and it always works and it smells good too :p

i use pledge on my ratzpadGS, citrusy goodness, my xtracs should arrive today, but i've had the mousepad about a month, it's due for another pledging. I dunno if it makes a difference, but I got a cleaning and dusting formula instead of the furniture polish kind.

You could also try some food grade silicone grease. It doesn't contain any harmful petroleum products. You can get it at a dive shop (lube regulator/tank o-rings) or at mcmaster.com

here is the problem: when you have two surfaces with lots of movement (in this case mouse and mousepad) things are going to wear down. I've been through 3 ratpadz simply from use. The old ones lasted longer then the new GS ones :(

lube sounds like a great way to reduce the fricton and keep it from destorying your ratpadz. In theory it should work and work well the first time you do it.
The downside of lube is how much dirt its going to attract so you'd have to clean and relube your mouse VERY often. Sounds like a great lan party gag though.

Teflon tape or replaceable mouse feet of sorts will probally offer the best preformance for the least amount of matinence.

I'm intrested in trying out lube on mysel... my mouse. I have an extra optical laying around. I would get a nice slab of alumnium and just sand it down really well or use some glass from a picture frame (put newspapper under it for the optical eye) then use some very thin water based lube. For a lan party gag I'd probally use butter because it would make more of a mess.

the_village_treky said:
but, 2 of them only work as scorlers, and a 3rd switches windows. so their are only 5 usable gaming butens :p

Huh? the 510 has fully programmable buttons via mouseware so you can program those scrollers and window switching button to anything youd like...I use the quick switch button in UT2K4 as my taunt.

anyways teflon tape + pledge + Ratpadz GS = pure lovin

Not to hate on Ratpadz... but I personally hate them. Ive got both the original and the GS, and the texture on both wore off in less then 6 months... (my original ratpad has lasted longer then the GS). They need to work on making the Ratpad stronger and more durable.

When I first got my Ratpadz it owned my grandmothers face, but the texture wore off so quick.

=/... I dont want to buy a new one every 3-4 months.

Man how hard do you guys press down on your mice? Or do you have sand paper underneath the mouse?

I have a ratpadz (couple-few years old) that has one small wear spot, maybe around a quarter in size. It took me like two years to do that.

I am also one that like the teflon mouse feet and lemon or orange pledge on the ratpad.

yeah no kidding. I have the mx900 BT mouse, and a Ratpadz GS. I must not be quite as glued-to-my-computer as the rest of you because my GS is just like it was, brand new something like 6 months ago.

However, the price of them is so cheap that if you spend THAT much time in front of your computer, you must not be doing anything else, so you should have plenty of money for replacing a $15 item every few months...

lube? what the heck for? I like the control of the friction.

I have an MX700 and a (dare I say it?) Everglide Giganta, hard plastic mousing surface. Not only do I have the teflon mouse feet (which don't really slicken it up so much as protect the mouse feet from wear) but I also Pledge my pad frequently. Seriously, the thing is so damned slick that if I tap it, it literally can slide off the pad and off my desk. Wicked. :D

Supreme slickness and high sensitivity make me a happy boy! ;)

Yeah I was liking teflon tape and a Pledge-slickened GS...until I realize I can't control jack shit with things gliding all over the place. Need friction for control.

erm, for what it's worth i dont put ANY liquids on my mouse pad, jesus I don't think I could either stand some of those funky smells nor having my mouse hand covered in chemicals, whether it be pledge or something else. mx510 with some teflon feet and a ratpadz.. its really all you need.

I quit Pledging my RatPadz GS because between that and the teflon tape on my MX700 the damn mouse wouldn't sit still. It seems like any little movement on or around the desk would make the mouse go flying. Then again, I don't know why I would even bother since I use a trackball for gaming anyway.

I had a Ratpadz GS. The thing wore down after two weeks terrible. No knock against hardocp....I just prefer the Func 1030 myself.

Okay guys, I actually registered JUST for this thread. so here goes:

I don't lube the mouse, but I do infact lube the mousepad. I've taken a note from Mario aka "B3nt" of OverdrivePC. I got a chance to use his mouse at Quakecon 2002. What I have done is Simply replace the plastic stick-on feet with 3/8th's stainless washers. This mod only works if you are using a hard plastic mousing surface such as the fUnc or a Ratpadz etc. Peel off the "stock" Teflon feet and glue on the washers. Use Super Glue or Krazyglue, what have you. Now take a paper towel and a VERY LITTLE BIT of Vaseline ( yes, i'm sure even that KY will work. ;p ) and work it into your pad's surface.

A Note from Mario:

"Also, contrary to popular belief this puts very, very little to no wear or scuffs on the surface of the hard plastic Ratpadz surface.

If you have bought or seen "skatez" for mice that replace the feet on your mouse, I assure you they come nowhere near as close to *slick and accurate* as stainless steel and they are also prone to becoming inconsistent with time when they gather hand oil.

This is a simple mod folks. Don't be scared to try. Also, you must, must, must remember to buy "stainless steel" and not zinc or mild steel since those materials will wear very fast and will lose their smoothness."

Important: This does not work with all mice! The washers space your mouse higher off the surface of the mouse pad and only some mice like the MS IntelliMouse 3.0 optical have the tollerance for the further spacing.

It's like glass baby!

Mario has a video of his. im not sure if it is still posted or not. I will try to post a photo or video of mine if it isn't.

BlindedByScience said:
I have a MS optical, RadPadGS, and "mouse skates" (teflon tape for the feet).

The best results I've gotten is when everything is very, very clean; I use some IPA (isoprop alcohol) and a clean cloth and really clean the crud off. Works great..... :cool:

Rock On - B.B.S.

That's not far from what I do. About once a week, I wipe down my RatPadz GS and the teflon tape covered feet of my mx 700 with 70% (or 91%, whatever I have on hand) rubbing alcohol, then a layer of pledge to the ratpadz to help keep it smooth.

Btw, nice rig BBS. It seems to be a lot like mine :)

Jake said:
Man how hard do you guys press down on your mice? Or do you have sand paper underneath the mouse?

I have a ratpadz (couple-few years old) that has one small wear spot, maybe around a quarter in size. It took me like two years to do that.

I am also one that like the teflon mouse feet and lemon or orange pledge on the ratpad.

Its not the pressing down on the mouse that caused my GS to wear down to a mirror smooth finish. It's the fact that my logitech dual optical (best mouse design ever created, thank you) isn't big enough for my whole hand and so half of my palm slides on the mouse pad.

In fact, the only mouse I've found that fits my entire hand is the ms intellimouse, which I would never buy. :rolleyes:

Fortunately, in 2 days it will be replaced by an mx510 + fUnc1030. And I probably won't use mouse tape.

I have found that a SMALL amount of chocolate syrup on my ratpadz gs helps to keep things smooth, yet it doesn't do away with the friction you need for control. :rolleyes:

No lube here, all dry baby! :D

I do want to get a func pad though, I used one during my training, and it was way nice..

Back