Do YOU have Problems with YOUR RTX card?

Do YOU have Problems with YOUR RTX card?

• My RTX 2080 Died

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • My RTX 2080 Ti Died

Votes: 30 13.6%
  • My RTX 2080 has BSOD Issues

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • My RTX 2080 Ti has BSOD Issues

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • My RTX 2080 has Other Issues

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • My RTX 2080 Ti has Other Issues

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • I have RMA'd my RTX 2080

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • I have RMA'd my RTX 2080 Ti

Votes: 26 11.8%
  • My RTX is a Founders Edition

Votes: 62 28.2%
  • I have NO ISSUES with my RTX card

Votes: 156 70.9%

• Total voters
How can you when you can't even complete benchmarks. Its a smoke screen. No pun intended.

Welp - I think my 2080ti FE 2nd wave card is likely on it's way out. Was working fine up until today. Played some Hitman 2 all last night, and playing it today in the same areas that were running fine yesterday i'm getting a crash to desktop with a 'nvidia display driver stopped working' error in the event log.

I've ran Kombuster for a bit and haven't seen any issues, but that doesn't stress the VRAM like a real game does. I believe i'm still within the return window and i'm debating just returning it and living with my 1080ti until these issues are fixed.

One thing that worries me is how am I supposed to diagnose a bad card in a multi-GPU rig if I'm not gaming? I've noticed some incredible instability while attempting Iray renders which seems to be driver-related (after the screen goes black and then returns, the drivers end up reloading and the cards are back at original settings), but it just as easily could be one or more GPUs failing. How do I even go about diagnosing this?

One thing that worries me is how am I supposed to diagnose a bad card in a multi-GPU rig if I'm not gaming? I've noticed some incredible instability while attempting Iray renders which seems to be driver-related (after the screen goes black and then returns, the drivers end up reloading and the cards are back at original settings), but it just as easily could be one or more GPUs failing. How do I even go about diagnosing this?

No clue. It's tough even with a single card.

These cards are just un-trust worthy at this point for me IMO. I gave it a fair shot, but this pattern of a card failing in about of months worth of usage or so seems pretty consistent from user reports.

Remove one card and test with just one for a few days. Then swap the cards and test the other one for a few days.

These cards are likely having a 30% or greater failure rate by the sheer number of reports. Something is wrong and I think Nvidia is in real trouble when replacement cards are still biting the dust. Also with this kind of reputation those that sell to upgrade to the next gen are going to be in a world of hurt, as the value of the used card will plummet.

Looks like I spoke too soon on my card. Apparently Ansel causes random crashes in Hitman 2 and disabling it fixed my crashing issues.

These cards are likely having a 30% or greater failure rate by the sheer number of reports. Something is wrong and I think Nvidia is in real trouble when replacement cards are still biting the dust. Also with this kind of reputation those that sell to upgrade to the next gen are going to be in a world of hurt, as the value of the used card will plummet.
LOL. Sky is falling sensationalism. Where are your facts about this 30%? I bet if you ask EVGA, it’s about 1-2%. There is so much FUD floating around about this and people like you are perpetuating it. The vast majority of us are enjoying our 2080 TIs problem-free.

LOL. Sky is falling sensationalism. Where are your facts about this 30%? I bet if you ask EVGA, it’s about 1-2%. There is so much FUD floating around about this and people like you are perpetuating it. The vast majority of us are enjoying our 2080 TIs problem-free.

The returns rate of the FE edition is much higher than 1-2%. You go back and stick in your head in the sand some more.

The returns rate of the FE edition is much higher than 1-2%. You go back and stick in your head in the sand some more.
Lovely. Show me facts. Otherwise you’re pulling numbers out like the other guy creating FUD.

The card I sent that was having problems had Micron. My new card has Samsung. Week so far, no issues. Not out of the woods yet, but hoping for the best.

Windforce 2070 here, so far no issues, hope it stays that way.

How do you find out which chip the gpu has? Micron or Samsung?

Lovely. Show me facts. Otherwise you’re pulling numbers out like the other guy creating FUD.

LOL, why would facts make any difference to you? You are in full defence mode.

All the people reporting issues on their cards and returning them are just making it up. Of 122 people who filled in the poll here, 21 cards were returned. Kyle had two bad cards, Other reviewers got bad cards. When have you ever seen a reviewer get a bad card never mind two?? So many returns that Digital River are apologising to customers for the delay because of the unusually high return rate. And don't forget that Nvidia themselves have actually admitted there is a problem. Do you think for one second that Nvidia would have come out and said there was an issue if the returns rate was in anyway normal?

off back to your little bubble.

Yeah, there are absolutely problems with this card. I've seemingly lucked out so far, but to have HardOCP (Or anyone) buy a card, and get another bad card is a really bad sign. The odds of that happening are really low if the failure rates were normal.

LOL, why would facts make any difference to you? You are in full defence mode.

All the people reporting issues on their cards and returning them are just making it up. Of 122 people who filled in the poll here, 21 cards were returned. Kyle had two bad cards, Other reviewers got bad cards. When have you ever seen a reviewer get a bad card never mind two?? So many returns that Digital River are apologising to customers for the delay because of the unusually high return rate. And don't forget that Nvidia themselves have actually admitted there is a problem. Do you think for one second that Nvidia would have come out and said there was an issue if the returns rate was in anyway normal?

off back to your little bubble.
No doubt there’s an issue, but this poll represents a very small, very critical sample size. Step outside your bubble and visit other forums and you’ll see for every 1 person with an issue there’s 20 happily gaming along. Pull your FUD blinders off.

I'm one of the lucky ones with 2 working cards pushing a month now. I think there is a real problem with the hardware which needs to be addressed. The [H] would have a good sample size of users who like to buy top tier gear while also being very very mindful of taking good care of it. This is a good community to pool diagnostic information compared to average users because of our experience with the equipment.

I have to say, Brahmzy, let it go. It's not fud. It's fact and its admitted at the source.

Is failure rate 30%? Probably not, but only Nvidia knows the real number.

Judging from the posts here, and on the Nvidia forum, the problems are for sure more than normal.

How much more, I don't know, but it's definitely an issue (I had to RMA a card myself).

Is failure rate 30%? Probably not, but only Nvidia knows the real number.

Judging from the posts here, and on the Nvidia forum, the problems are for sure more than normal.

How much more, I don't know, but it's definitely an issue (I had to RMA a card myself).
Exactly my point. Show me where the facts say 30%. Simply shouting random numbers from the mountain top is BS. It might get be 35% for all we know. Show me or shut it.

You are taking it personally for a single post exaggerating 30%. nvidia says 0.01%, we can and will speculate it is wrong and can speculate any number. It's a free world. Shall we vote on 5%? 10% 0.02%? Telling someone who is just tossing out a number doesn't make it fact. Chill.

Actually nvidia hasn't said anything besides test escapes. It's retail that has said 'normal rates'.

Exactly my point. Show me where the facts say 30%. Simply shouting random numbers from the mountain top is BS. It might get be 35% for all we know. Show me or shut it.

Fine want a [H]ard number then Kyle had a 66% failure rate on the TI. There were others that had several rma's already as well it's not hard to figure out the retail answer of 1% is total bullshit. Nvidia has even admitted something is abnormal so take your fanboy glasses off and realize it's a serious issue when you consider just how few actually buy these type of cards and the number of failure reported. I guaranty you my number is closer to the truth then what people will report. Hell we had 100% failure rate at Chrysler on the 2.0l head gaskets in Neon's, go find a statement from Chrysler stating that fact. Reality is the manufacturer knew it was ugly but will be damned if we say that out loud as it will kill the sales of the car and really hurt the profit margin. Fact was we helped anyone that called about it very quickly and quietly to try to keep the reputation of the car from being hurt. All of it was caused by the CEO wanting to save 35 bucks a vehicle and use the wrong head gasket for the engine. I worked in the manufacturing world and I smell whats going on here, someone made a bad call.

Last edited:
I picked up a new MSI Duke RTX 2080 ti and it looks like is Micron as well.
Duke.gif

Dude it might not be 30% but I don't belive this shit about 1-2%. They are dying on reviewers. When its as widely reported as it is, it means some shit is seriously wrong. Stop drinking cool aid. Some people are on their 2nd and 3rd card, and I have never seen as many people reporting issues alone in this forum. No need to defend nvidia at this point. There is an issue with the cards, that is not even a question.

Yeah mine was Micron and is ok. Kyle’s second FE card was Samsung and died after 8 hrs iirc. Who knows at this point.

I wouldn't be surprised its the massive die that has high failure rate at this point.

Dude it might not be 30% but I don't belive this shit about 1-2%. They are dying on reviewers. When its as widely reported as it is, it means some shit is seriously wrong. Stop drinkig cool aid.

Sir with all due respect it's kool-aid. And in this case it's lemon-lime.

Yeah mine was Micron and is ok. Kyle’s second FE card was Samsung and died after 8 hrs iirc. Who knows at this point.
Both of my FE cards are Micron. I never checked before on the first card that was RMA'd.

Anyone care to comment on how their RTX 2070s are going? Seems like most of the talk is regarding the 2080ti but a number of people seem to also have issues with the 2080. Wondering how the 2070 is stacking up.

Anyone care to comment on how their RTX 2070s are going? Seems like most of the talk is regarding the 2080ti but a number of people seem to also have issues with the 2080. Wondering how the 2070 is stacking up.

I have no issues so far with a MSI 2070 Armor.

Der8aurer said non-FE 2080tis rma rate was 1.4%, which is fine, and 2080 was around 0.08% IIRC. So if that trend continues the 2070 should be fine.

And Gamer’s Nexus said it appears most of the issues are with the Founders Edition cards.

Last edited:
I've been doing everything I can to kill my Gigabyte Windforce 2080ti OC card. I've run Furmark overnight on 4k, and run virtually every GPU intensive benchies at 4k and still cool and quiet. I'm starting to feel a little more comfortable with my purchase. Regardless of ray-tracing, Shadow of the Tomb Raider among other newer games are shockingly good looking at 4k 60fps.

I'm super happy so far, and I still haven't installed my new CPU and Motherboard. I'm still rocking the i7 2600k, and will continue to until I feel this new GPU won't fry my new silicon.

I've been doing everything I can to kill my Gigabyte Windforce 2080ti OC card. I've run Furmark overnight on 4k, and run virtually every GPU intensive benchies at 4k and still cool and quiet. I'm starting to feel a little more comfortable with my purchase. Regardless of ray-tracing, Shadow of the Tomb Raider among other newer games are shockingly good looking at 4k 60fps.

I'm super happy so far, and I still haven't installed my new CPU and Motherboard. I'm still rocking the i7 2600k, and will continue to until I feel this new GPU won't fry my new silicon.

I hope it doesn't break on you. But, a day or two of stress testing won't cause these cards to fail. The failures just seem to happen whenever, it doesn't seem to matter what you are doing. A guy on another forum did the same as you for a couple of days just to give the card a good test. This was before the issues were known about, a month later his card failed watching YouTube.

What I am trying to say is don't waste any more time stress testing, because that's all it is, a waste of time. Just use the card as normal and enjoy it, if it fails, it fails, you have an RMA. No point in worrying about something you can't control.

Week 3 now of EVGA card, week 5 of asus card. EVGA 2080 ti has been running 24/7 since I got it. Initial issues were drivers and a firmware update to get LED RGB working on the card. I game 6 days a week, 1-3 hours a night at most on week days, while weekends may find me doing as much as 10 hours across the 2 days. Card has had some oddities with fan speed which I fixed with the profile (it started running more audible fan speed and as a consequence gave me noise and 67C gaming temps instead of the 72-75 I am used to).

I did some early overclocking and benchmarking to find a max speed of 2100 peak, 2050's avg and a 575 max mem oc. Anything more for the mem resulted in some artifacting which after all the space invaders issues people were getting, I did not feel like testing my luck further.

I'm not actively trying to kill my card, rather I'm just using it.

I hope it doesn't break on you. But, a day or two of stress testing won't cause these cards to fail. The failures just seem to happen whenever, it doesn't seem to matter what you are doing. A guy on another forum did the same as you for a couple of days just to give the card a good test. This was before the issues were known about, a month later his card failed watching YouTube.

What I am trying to say is don't waste any more time stress testing, because that's all it is, a waste of time. Just use the card as normal and enjoy it, if it fails, it fails, you have an RMA. No point in worrying about something you can't control.

I'm actually done stress testing this card. I've played a ton of VR games using my Vive, and so far my PC has seen a lot of gaming activity since the day I purchased it. I have a hard time believing that 100% of the RTX2080ti cards are faulty, but I guess only time will tell.

Back