Do I really need G-sync?

Bravo25

Limp Gawd
I have a 7700k, 16ggis ram, 1080ti. When I upgrade from my 27" 1440P 60hz monitor. Do I really need g-sync?

No, the 1080 ti gives you so much FPS at 1440p you won't really notice it. The 144Hz kills tearing very effectively by itself. However if you were running 4K around 60 frames, I think G-sync would be something you "need".

No, the 1080 ti gives you so much FPS at 1440p you won't really notice it. The 144Hz kills tearing very effectively by itself. However if you were running 4K around 60 frames, I think G-sync would be something you "need".

I'm not sure if i'm going up to 4k or just another 1440P monitor with 90+hz. I'm def going to see a 144hz monitor in action before I upgrade tho.

Yes, you need it. No, a 1080Ti will not give you 144FPS minimums in newer demanding titles, unless you want to turn all your settings to LOW. At that point you are simply wasting the potential of your 1080Ti.

In short, DO NOT buy a 1440p gaming monitor without G-Sync if you have a nVidia setup. Unless of course you enjoy judder/stutter. Then by all means cheap out!

You need it.

You bought all top end components and now you're thinking of cutting corners on your primary interface to your system?

Just get it.

I rarely use the G-sync feature with my 2560x1440, 144Hz display on a GTX 970.
Instead, I use the ULMB feature most of the time, since the majority of my games don't have issues with rendering, at least, 60fps.

Yeah I'm in the "didn't know I needed it until I had it" and "won't go back to a monitor without it" camp.

I can no longer play FPS on my 60hz 4k display without feeling drunk from fast turns.

Even with an OC'd (2100mhz) water cooled 1080ti, on a 1440p ultra wide, there's plenty of games I can't maintain even 120hz of this monitor consistently, but even when I can, it's much smoother with g-sync. It also often doesn't seem like "tearing" to me as much as fully dropped frames, maybe because they're refreshing so much faster, but I definitely see significantly less smoothness without it regardless of the fps.

For me it was subtle at first, I didn't really "see what the big deal was" when I tried it, until I went back to another display. Clearly my mind just adapted to the new normal automatically. I recommend checking one out if you can, play some high speed FPS for a bit, then go back to whatever you've been using without it, and see how you feel.

You don't need G-Sync. Just like you didn't need a 7700k or a 1080Ti when you could've settled for an i3 7100 and a GTX 1050Ti.

Reactions: DG25
like this
Is there a noticeable difference between 60 and 75hz? I ask because I was thinking about finding a 4k monitor with 75hz refresh.

Is there a noticeable difference between 60 and 75hz? I ask because I was thinking about finding a 4k monitor with 75hz refresh.
Yes there is, especially if you can g-sync that 75Hz it's pretty much "halfway" 144Hz experience.

There arn't any. They are all 60Hz. I believe that there will be some 120Hz ones in the coming months but no one has a firm release date yet.

As someone with 1440p and a 1080ti I can confirm you're completely wrong.

he is more often than not wrong, not " completely" wrong.

but I definitely see significantly less smoothness without it regardless of the fps.

Vsync+Frame capping at ~119.95 fps will improve your gaming experience. Check blurbusters tests comparing gsync against Vsync+ fps limit. use this guide to find your sweetspot fps limit

I believe that there will be some 120Hz ones in the coming months but no one has a firm release date yet.

Actually Cirthix from Zisworks is finally delivering the 4k 120Hz kits, those who live on the bay area are being served first.

I don't think my 1200P monitor (manufactured in May 2008) will last long enough until the 4K 120Hz are released and come down in price to that I could afford ($500-700). 4K 120Hz monitors are really almost pointless as it is already hard to hit 60FPS at 4K on almost any modern game, even with the best hardware. The real question is should I go 4K 60Hz or 1440P 144Hz (both with GSync and 27") as they are about the same cost? I won't be in the market for at least 6 months (or if my monitor dies sooner than that).

Its not a need thing. I didn't need it before I had it. Playing on displays without it now though.. tearing is unbearable. I still don't think i "need" it.

Its not a need thing. I didn't need it before I had it. Playing on 60Hz displays without it now though.. tearing is unbearable. I still don't think i "need" it.
Fixed it. I just played two weeks on a 60Hz laptop, and as I got back to my XB271HU I was again amazed by the "G-sync", all the horrible tearing was gone and it was soo smooth and responsive.

Turns out before I left I had set it to Fixed Refresh in the NVCP, so I accidentally blind tested myself and it passed as a G-sync :D

Get G-Sync!

If you wonder what the difference between G-Sync vs no G-sync the closest comparison I can come up with is
Regular YouTube videos vs 60FPS Youtube videos. Latter one are smooth as butter. Same wit G-Sync. Once you used it you will never ever buy another monitor without it.

BTW, my monitor supports 60Hz and 100Hz G-Sync and I didn;t really like 60Hz. It is still not smooth enough. 100Hz though is perfect :)

4K 120Hz monitors are really almost pointless as it is already hard to hit 60FPS at 4K on almost any modern game, even with the best hardware.

1600p was "pointless" ( required SLI 8800 Ultra for Skyrim at ~45fps) when it was launched as welll. that did not stopped me and thousands of other getting one.

The real question is should I go 4K 60Hz or 1440P 144Hz (both with GSync and 27") as they are about the same cost?

Please Do not take the discussion towards the uselessness of 4k at 27"

Get G-Sync!

If you wonder what the difference between G-Sync vs no G-sync the closest comparison I can come up with is
Regular YouTube videos vs 60FPS Youtube videos. Latter one are smooth as butter. Same wit G-Sync. Once you used it you will never ever buy another monitor without it.

BTW, my monitor supports 60Hz and 100Hz G-Sync and I didn;t really like 60Hz. It is still not smooth enough. 100Hz though is perfect :)
You just described the refresh rate effect, the smoothness you see in 60fps videos compared to 30fps videos has pretty much nothing to do with g-sync.

Last edited:
You just described the refresh rate effect, the smoothness you see in 60fps videos compared to 30fps videos has pretty much nothing to do with g-sync.

Hm, probably you are right. I should try to keep 100Hz and disable G-Sync and see the difference.

I also have a 100Hz G-Sync display (PG348Q) and something to note is you'll need to cap all the games you can at 97-98FPS or you'll lose the benefits. The games I can't cap, as soon as they break 100FPS its back to tearing.

If I can't cap it, just turn up the settings :-P

I have a 240hz with 1080ti, in overwatch I really don't notice the difference with G-Sync on and off. It actually seems the game runs better with it off somehow.

My FPS in overwatch range from 180-240 FPS.

If you asked me if G-Sync was on and off, and randomly changed it, I don't think I would be able to tell the difference.

I have a 240hz with 1080ti, in overwatch I really don't notice the difference with G-Sync on and off. It actually seems the game runs better with it off somehow.

My FPS in overwatch range from 180-240 FPS.

If you asked me if G-Sync was on and off, and randomly changed it, I don't think I would be able to tell the difference.
In a well optimized game with even frametimes like overwatch where you can/should tweak your settings to always be at max fps, g-sync will be somewhere between "not very noticable" and "completly pointless" (144Hz ulmb is much better for those scenarios). And if you let it hit 240fps it will behave worse than if g-sync was off (need to set fps limit to 235ish or something with gsync on).

I am not sure about needing GSYNC. It maybe a matter of preference, but I can guarantee you, modern games don't get 144Hz all that easily on ultra settings.

Witcher 3, a 2015 game, does not consistently run over 100FPS on ultra settings with HD textures.

Now, one might argue that the mods are affecting framerates, and perhaps they are right. However, with a 1080Ti, I am OK running games at 90-100FPS at ultra settings because I have a GSYNC monitor.

No you do not need Gsync. I have a 144hz 32" Korean that I play with on occasion and it's absolutely buttery smooth. I sold another 144hz monitor I had and the guy that came over was trying to argue with me about Gsync and 144hz ... It was mind boggling at how easily these new gamer kiddies can become brainwashed by marketing.

No you do not need Gsync. I have a 144hz 32" Korean that I play with on occasion and it's absolutely buttery smooth. I sold another 144hz monitor I had and the guy that came over was trying to argue with me about Gsync and 144hz ... It was mind boggling at how easily these new gamer kiddies can become brainwashed by marketing.

That may be your opinion but the truth is actually based on a per needs basis, for example, you play indie games and your setup is powerful enough for a constant 60/120/144fps, then no need for G-Sync, example #2, you play highly graphical games and your hardware/game setting won't allow you to hit a constant 60/120/144fps then you will get stutter under that refresh rate, G-Sync will be buttery smooth. Let's not leave out that some people don't perceive or notice stutter while some people notice it really bad. Don't also be fooled by replies/opinions from people who have never owned both too! Don't have any room to talk when you never owned one. Lots more examples to be had

My actual needs and why I chose G-Sync was that I had a 144hz 1440p monitor and play numerous graphical games with my 980 ti and under my normal game setting I was under 144fps and was a stuttering mess since my monitor was "out of sync" with the frame rate, now with my G-Sync I can be anywhere between 30fps to 144fps and not have ANY stutter whatsoever. I'm happy

Last edited:

Your definition of buttery smooth is sad. You're trying to justify buying your cheap korean monitor instead a more expensive superior gsync monitor and to people that know the difference it's just sad. If you can't afford gsync that's fine, but don't give us that BS.

I have my current monitor OCed to 75hz. Will reset it to 60hz in a week and see if I notice a difference.

15Hz will not be enough to be that noticeable, however when comparing FPS that really has no comparison on G-Sync. It's not the same. What is a good comparison is having a 144hz monitor and having a game that's under 144fps vs the same scenario with a G-Sync monitor, that WILL show a difference

No, you don't need it. But going back from using it would be pretty intolerable. It's better ON 100% of the time, in any game, Quake included. There is a more connected feeling between your mouse and your eyes that without it is just not possible. It's less noticeable at higher fps, but still noticeable and still better.

Gsynch is very nice to have. I'd say its not a necessity and more of a nicety. Obviously having free synch or gsynch is great if you can afford it so get either if you can.

No, you don't need it. But going back from using it would be pretty intolerable. It's better ON 100% of the time, in any game, Quake included. There is a more connected feeling between your mouse and your eyes that without it is just not possible. It's less noticeable at higher fps, but still noticeable and still better.
I'll have to say no, there is a immediate increase in the connected feel when you disable it. Like mouse going from 100Hz mode to 1000Hz. For very competitive shooters its better to run without g-sync.

4K 120Hz monitors are really almost pointless as it is already hard to hit 60FPS at 4K on almost any modern game, even with the best hardware.

It's not pointless unless you change your monitor every year or two. Given the option, I'd rather pay somewhat more and have a 144Hz 4K screen for later on, then get stuck with 60 Hz. Of course, the keyword being "somewhat" here; we'll see what the premium will actually be like once those 32" 4K 144Hz screens are actually released.

I don't see the point in buying a 4k 144hz monitor either if I can't drive it in most games. Reason being is that when video cards are able to drive it, I also want HDR 600 on a 4k monitor.

Gsync is only usable if you have slow FPS and accept slower FPS (slower than monitor hz) so take that into account as well.

I'll have to say no, there is a immediate increase in the connected feel when you disable it. Like mouse going from 100Hz mode to 1000Hz. For very competitive shooters its better to run without g-sync.

20 years of playing shooters without gsync to having gsync , it's better to me no contest. Mind blowingly what the fuck this is insane what have i been missing all my life better. I experience none of what you said with my mouse in the slightest, other than natural frame drops in a game. I bought my gsync monitor specifically for Quake Champions, and the second i turned on gsync it was a pants shitter. There is no reason i would turn it off, i have toggled and it tested it, and there no comparison. Mouse does not feel worse, it feels better, the whole thing feels better. It upped my game even, i mean it's not even a question.

Last edited:
Ugh. Stop fucking saying G-Sync is only usable if you "have slow FPS." Variable refresh is basically required for the best experience today.

Back