Do I hate Epic LESS then Origin?!?

OFaceSIG

2[H]4U
I used to be thoroughly annoyed at that thought of an additional launcher on my desktop. Well I got Crysis remasterd for free and I wasn't going to pass it up. I think I hate Epic less then Origin! Origin annoys me to no end.

Origin is a crap launcher, with terrible UI, but at least they don't throw around money to make 3rd party games disappear from other platforms. And I'm pretty sure they don't mine for coins / data? on your PC, or whetever the F was the epic launcher up to.

They all suck, even steam is joining in the suck with every patch. Broken friends lists, cluttered UI, glitchy point shop, crappy voice integration. they can't just stick to what they where good at, and its gonna break em.

It has worked for me without issues for many years. Epic's thing works fine for me now to. There are a features I'd like to see here and there for both. I don't need or want them to become as bloated as Steam though.

i've accepted all the launchers i guess, but if i had to rank them, then yes these 2 would be at the bottom of the list for various reasons. GOG would be at the top simply because its DRM free.

I used to be thoroughly annoyed at that thought of an additional launcher on my desktop. Well I got Crysis remasterd for free and I wasn't going to pass it up. I think I hate Epic less then Origin! Origin annoys me to no end.
I still dislike Origin, but it's not the "worst" anymore. Epic is the worst, followed by Uplay. I cannot support either company.

Origin is a crap launcher, with terrible UI, but at least they don't throw around money to make 3rd party games disappear from other platforms. And I'm pretty sure they don't mine for coins / data? on your PC, or whetever the F was the epic launcher up to.
Well, the money that Epic is throwing around is funded by the CCP. So...there's that moral conundrum to consider too.

They all suck, even steam is joining in the suck with every patch. Broken friends lists, cluttered UI, glitchy point shop, crappy voice integration. they can't just stick to what they where good at, and its gonna break em.
Steam has been around long enough that most people are stuck in that ecosystem. Now they can start adding features in to force other competitors out as well, such as voice chat.

How did you get Crysis Remastered for free?

I don't mind Epic's Launcher. They give away free games constantly and it's pretty painless. EA is about to finally move on from Origin. They have a new app called EA Desktop that's in beta right now. It's no better (and in some way's it's worse - it's ugly as sin), but Origin isn't long for this world.

If you hate Epic: I think they pay for every free game that you get, so...

Also you do not need the Epic launcher, the alternative launcher Legendary exists

Steam has been around long enough that most people are stuck in that ecosystem. Now they can start adding features in to force other competitors out as well, such as voice chat.

Thpse features are broken and/or subpar compared to their competition (discord as an example), and every update makes the system glitchier. I am not sure they are capable of adding said features.

Steam has gotten pretty bloated and clumsy over the years, but I really appreciate how nice it is to use as a gaming front-end. Not only can you add games from other services (and customize the artwork and such), but it also infuses Steam features into them. PS5 controller support, screenshots, and such. I have 5-6 other stores like Epic, EA Desktop, Battle.net, Uplay, etc. installed but I use Steam to launch all of those games.

Origin is great these days and has been for years now. The only things that sucks about it and always has is the store.

Epic is slow for me.

Got a free game in Epic.. installed it, which it asks for Origins creds... Game installed but you simply cant run it from Origin you have to start it from Epic. So I have Origin and Epic open to play Star Wars Battlefield 2 o_O . (Never played it, free on Epic.)

Epic launcher is worse than Origin these days. Mostly it just runs slower and I despise that every time I exit a game, the launcher pops up from minimize to tray and loads the store screen, not my games list.

Well, the money that Epic is throwing around is funded by the CCP. So...there's that moral conundrum to consider too.
I'm no commie, but you know this how?

I don't mind Epic's Launcher. They give away free games constantly and it's pretty painless. EA is about to finally move on from Origin. They have a new app called EA Desktop that's in beta right now. It's no better (and in some way's it's worse - it's ugly as sin), but Origin isn't long for this world.
Came for free with an i5 10400 I bought for my step son.
Steam has gotten pretty bloated and clumsy over the years, but I really appreciate how nice it is to use as a gaming front-end. Not only can you add games from other services (and customize the artwork and such), but it also infuses Steam features into them. PS5 controller support, screenshots, and such. I have 5-6 other stores like Epic, EA Desktop, Battle.net, Uplay, etc. installed but I use Steam to launch all of those games.
NOTHING beats Steam's back up function. I only have a 85mbps connection and I download new games over night and back them up to my NAS over gigabit. Then download them at gig when I'm ready to play.

It's still pretty meh. Lacks a lot of features of other launchers and has had issues with CPU utilization for seemingly no reason.

I still get the free games and have bought some indie games from them, but it's not like I'm running the launcher any more than I have to.

Only reason I have the Epic Launcher was when I got my RTX 2080ti I got 3 free games and one of them was Metro Exodus which was (or may still be idk) a Epic Games store exclusive. Ever since then i've been collecting all of the free games and i've grown quite a large game collection on Epic launcher now. Star Wars Battlefront 2 is free right now in case anyone didn't know.

EA Desktop is just a rebranding I assume. Obviously the GUI looks a good bit different, but I half expected that. Origin's layout hasn't changed in around a decade. Not that I have a problem with it.

EA Desktop is just a rebranding I assume. Obviously the GUI looks a good bit different, but I half expected that. Origin's layout hasn't changed in around a decade. Not that I have a problem with it.

Yeah, for the most part. I think there are some under the hood changes since not all games are supported. It doesn't seem to use Java or any of the weird quirky things on the back end of Origin, either. Instead it seems to have a wrapper program that allows EA games on other platforms (like Steam) to work while using it instead of Origin.
Functionality-wise, it's not all that different. It's UGLY, though. The color scheme is neon pink and navy.

Only reason I have the Epic Launcher was when I got my RTX 2080ti I got 3 free games and one of them was Metro Exodus which was (or may still be idk) a Epic Games store exclusive. Ever since then i've been collecting all of the free games and i've grown quite a large game collection on Epic launcher now. Star Wars Battlefront 2 is free right now in case anyone didn't know.
It's on Steam now (Metro Exodus), but same here, I have quite a few free games and a few paid ones that I used the $10 off coupons on.

the only thing annoying about the Epic launcher is the recent high temps associated with new Zen 3 chips (a hotfix apparently helped alleviate the issue)

I hate steam more.
Yeah, steam is getting pretty bad the past couple of years. Still though, you do own the games once you purchase them and aren't tethered to their launcher like you are with Epic.

If you hate Epic: I think they pay for every free game that you get, so...

Also you do not need the Epic launcher, the alternative launcher Legendary exists
I recommend trying out Legendary as well. It is command line only though. I was able to install the free GTA V copy I got and run it without ever having Epic installed (new install of Windows). I seems to work well enough.

I don't hate any particular launcher. They're all about the same and all work well enough. I do hate the fact that I have to use Steam, Origin, UPlay, Epic and BattleNet for the games I play.

So my answer is I don't hate either, I just hate I have to use so many.

This is only tangentally related, but the Mass Effect Remastered series is going to come out (they're taking preorders now, supposed to launch in March), and I'd very much like to buy/play it, but I also really don't want to ever use Origin ever... here's hoping that the reversed policy of not having their games on other platforms continues, and it ends up on Steam. Even if it takes a year I'd rather wait than use Origin.

(Side note, definitely don't preorder and don't assume I am either. I'm going to make sure they don't mess up this remaster like Blizzard messed up the WC3 remaster and only buy after seeing extensive reviews. I have zero faith in EA to not make mistakes even with critically huge series').

But even if Mass Effect Remastered series comes to steam, it will still launch through origin from steam right?

My goal is to see how free games I can get on epic without spending any money. So far about about 150 games I think and $0 :D

the only thing annoying about the Epic launcher is the recent high temps associated with new Zen 3 chips (a hotfix apparently helped alleviate the issue)
My 3900X would go from 35C idle to 55C soon as I launched it. Waited till I read here about a fix before I launched it again. That was a strange one indeed.

Epic launcher is worse than Origin these days. Mostly it just runs slower and I despise that every time I exit a game, the launcher pops up from minimize to tray and loads the store screen, not my games list.

Sounds like when you exit through the gift shop at rides in disney

I dunno, I click game, it launches. Never really had problems regardless of launcher.

But - do I wish I didn't have 97 of the fucking things? Yes.

I dunno, I click game, it launches. Never really had problems regardless of launcher.

But - do I wish I didn't have 97 of the fucking things? Yes.
I agree 100% I don't have anything start up on boot. I launch a store as I need and close it afterwards. People are too damn fussy about irrelvant thing. They bitch just to bitch cause it is not how they want things. I don't care anymore. It is a losing battle and all I just want to do is play my games.

a game launcher is just a simple platform to launch games...who cares about Epic vs Steam vs Origin...if something is exclusive to Epic I'll buy it there, if something is cheaper on Uplay I'll buy it there...ideally everything would be available on Steam but it's not so you need to adjust...why would someone not play a potentially great game based on which platform it's on?...makes no sense

do people also have the same issues as far as streaming platforms?...do you not install Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Video, Apple TV+, HBO Max etc?...most originals are exclusive to a specific platform...Stranger Things is Netflix, Mandalorian is Disney+, Justice League: Snyder Cut is HBO Max etc

a game launcher is just a simple platform to launch games...who cares about Epic vs Steam vs Origin...if something is exclusive to Epic I'll buy it there, if something is cheaper on Uplay I'll buy it there...ideally everything would be available on Steam but it's not so you need to adjust...why would someone not play a potentially great game based on which platform it's on?...makes no sense

do people also have the same issues as far as streaming platforms?...do you not install Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Video, Apple TV+, HBO Max etc?...most originals are exclusive to a specific platform...Stranger Things is Netflix, Mandalorian is Disney+, Justice League: Snyder Cut is HBO Max etc
I would agree, but Epic and Origin can make launching a game frustrating.

I only used the Epic game launcher for less than a month (the month they were giving GTAV out for free) on a gaming laptop I keep offline, but it requires an internet connection to launch and play games. Each time I connect it to the internet, it is always updating something every few days. Each updated takes ~10 minutes to download and install. If I go about two weeks offline, the updating can take ~30 minutes. I use to travel for work every week, so I was at the whim of hotel internet speeds, and if excruciating slow, I was not able to play GTA V. Got fed up with this issue, and just uninstalled the Epic game launcher. Fortunately, I learned about Legendary on this forum and am using it on my gaming desktop. I don't have to deal with senseless updates.

Origin is a pain if I am relying on offline gaming. I use to fly two days a week, and to occupy myself inflight, I game. Each night before I fly, if I am playing a game on Origin, I have to ensure the game will launch a few times offline. I experienced the "game needs to be validated online" more than I would like when trying to launch a game inflight to the point I planned on not buying a game on Origin again. I no longer travel for work, so it is a non-issue now. Steam and Uplay have an offline mode that works properly (always had a backup game to play because Origin was that unreliable).

Yes, there are several streaming platforms I will not subscribe to because I have issues with the company who runs it that transcend my desire to consume any content they offer.

Back