Do From Software smoke a lot of crack at the office?

Morlock

Limp Gawd
Who doesn't know that on PC, Esc is supposed to pull up the main menu? That there is no "red button" and "green" button on a keyboard? Etc.

I've seen some lazy-ass, insulting, phoned-in Jap ports in my time, but DS2 takes the cake. If I had paid for this game, I'd be pissed.

Autohotkey script? You've gotta be kidding me. Douchebags didn't even have the courtesy to make the port they extruded from their ass mod-friendly so people could do their work for them? FFS *strangles a Japanese baby seal to death*

Anyone know if there's a mod to make this port make sense? Google crapped the bed.

You NEED a controller unless you a masochist. That's why I never play the game. One day I shall take the time to make my own Steam Controller config for the game as I don't like the ones on Steam.

Who doesn't know that on PC, Esc is supposed to pull up the main menu? That there is no "red button" and "green" button on a keyboard? Etc.

I've seen some lazy-ass, insulting, phoned-in Jap ports in my time, but DS2 takes the cake. If I had paid for this game, I'd be pissed.

Autohotkey script? You've gotta be kidding me. Douchebags didn't even have the courtesy to make the port they extruded from their ass mod-friendly so people could do their work for them? FFS *strangles a Japanese baby seal to death*

Anyone know if there's a mod to make this port make sense? Google crapped the bed.

And speaking of people that smoke crack....

So you're pissed about a game that no wait you aren't pissed because you pirated the game but the developer smokes crack. That it?

I bought a controller but it caused some hinky shit on my rig once, so now I'm loathe to use it again.

And shit lazy port is shit lazy port, my paying for it wouldn't make it less shit. Definitely doesn't deserve to be paid for. I don't not praise great games I don't pay for, why should shit games be any different?

Esc brings up the menu, that's how you find out what the controls do in a game where lazy, incompetent devs didn't put a keybind menu in the pre-game menus, either. FFS, not complicated.

Last edited:
And speaking of people that smoke crack....

So you're pissed about a game that no wait you aren't pissed because you pirated the game but the developer smokes crack. That it?
That was good. I didn't even get that out of the comment. Nor the title.

You likely just found out their latest form of DRM. Fucking with the controls and leaving features out.

It's not the first time FROM software has pulled this on pirates. ;)
Dark Souls Knows How To Deal With Piracy - #egmr
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113217-Early-Dark-Souls-Players-Get-a-Nasty-Surprise

Does From Software smoke a lot of crack at the office? Probably not. The drug of choice in the Orient used to be opium. My money would be on that. :p

From has always been console first, so the fact that it plays best with a controller is zero surprise. Inexcusable from a PC enthusiast's point of view? Most certainly. When I first joined these forums, I would have been up in arms with you.

Now? I own a USB XB360 controller, learned to stop bitching about crappy kb/m controls, and git good with a gamepad. I would have missed out on many memorable games (both on PC and seventh generation consoles) if I hadn't.

EDIT: and for whoever had issues plugging in a 360 controller, chances are it was a cheap knock off, or it wasn't plugged into a USB 2.0/3.0 port.

Last edited:
You're doing yourself a disservice if you try to play every game with a keyboard/mouse setup.Ditto with trying to play everything with a gamepad.
At one time there were a few PC games that advertised that you had to have a gamepad (or joystick) to play. Those days should probably come back. It's not like there aren't plenty of officially supported options now.

You're doing yourself a disservice if you try to play every game with a keyboard/mouse setup.Ditto with trying to play everything with a gamepad.
At one time there were a few PC games that advertised that you had to have a gamepad (or joystick) to play. Those days should probably come back. It's not like there aren't plenty of officially supported options now.
What is this 'gamepad' you speak of? My mouse and keyboard have heard your heresy and have spoken up to slay the evil concept of gamepad!!!

You haven't tried to fly a helicopter with a keyboard and mouse? There is no substitute!!!!

This comment has been sanitized by Logitech Mice and Alienware Keyboards worldwide!!

What is this 'gamepad' you speak of? My mouse and keyboard have heard your heresy and have spoken up to slay the evil concept of gamepad!!!

You haven't tried to fly a helicopter with a keyboard and mouse? There is no substitute!!!!

This comment has been sanitized by Logitech Mice and Alienware Keyboards worldwide!!

I used to have this elitist attitude, then i got old and bought a controller.

I used to have this elitist attitude, then i got old and bought a controller.
That's funny..elitest... I assume they don't teach humor classes where you are from.

I own a gamepad. I don't use it much.

Our turds smell the same. I don't do elitest.

I've played through all the Souls games on PC with kb/m...works fine...all it takes is some creative remapping and it's just as good as a controller...too many people don't know how to remap keys and think that the default is the only layout

I've played through all the Souls games on PC with kb/m...works fine...all it takes is some creative remapping and it's just as good as a controller...too many people don't know how to remap keys and think that the default is the only layout
Shhhhhh!!

I rock the arrow keys, so I have to remap more or less every game whether I like it or not.
When I get a new game my first step is the graphic/sound options immediately followed by remapping everything to on or around the arrow keys.

One knock on MS forcing universal gamepad support is that remapping buttons isn't part of that plan. The vast majority of games don't let you do it...at all. There might be an alternate scheme or two, but very few new games let you fully re-map gamepad buttons.

I rock the arrow keys, so I have to remap more or less every game whether I like it or not.
When I get a new game my first step is the graphic/sound options immediately followed by remapping everything to on or around the arrow keys.

One knock on MS forcing universal gamepad support is that remapping buttons isn't part of that plan. The vast majority of games don't let you do it...at all. There might be an alternate scheme or two, but very few new games let you fully re-map gamepad buttons.
I remember reading sometime ago that they (developers) believe control schemes to be integral to their design choices, so allowing the remapping of buttons would interfere with their creative vision.

It's complete horseshit, but there it is.

Maybe he was gifted the game? Everyone sure jumped to piracy fast, jesus...

I agree though, the port is complete dog shit. It took a third party modder to make it even playable.

OP is complaining about Dark Souls 2, which didn't need any modding to make playable.

So, what's wrong with controllers? They are fine for games like Dark Souls. In fact, I'd venture to say that you will have a faster response and better control using a gamepad over a M/KB with these kind of games. Just because consoles use them does not mean they are inherently bad in every situation.

Controllers are better for some games. Unrealistic vehicle games, games which require sensitive buttons, fighting games, platformers and the like. For niche games like flight/racing sims you need dedicated hardware. For FPS, RTS, and lots of other games a mouse/keyboard is better. Get what works good with each game. A $~28-30 360 controller isn't too expensive. I hardly use it but got my money's worth.

So, what's wrong with controllers? They are fine for games like Dark Souls. In fact, I'd venture to say that you will have a faster response and better control using a gamepad over a M/KB with these kind of games. Just because consoles use them does not mean they are inherently bad in every situation.

just because someone prefers one over the other doesn't mean something is wrong with the other one...it's just user preference...use whatever you feel most comfortable with...for me it's almost always kb/m

Personally, I use kb/m for ds3. I never really tried controller though. I did use it for demon souls way back when though. Either works pretty well, but trigger for attack just felt odd as hell to me.

I sort of understand it though, btw, with a game like this, it's not a bad idea since you need camera control, it just felt weird.

Do we really need another KB vs controller thread? Even for Dark Souls we have plenty of them.

I quote this all the time, but will do it again.

"Oh, you know, it’s a tool box. I don’t care. You put the tools in for the job. That’s all." (Ronin)

Put a mouse and keyboard in front of me. I'll play the game. Put a game pad in front of me. I'll play the game. Doesn't matter that much. Obviously I prefer a mouse and keyboard for some types, and a pad for others, but I'll play either way.

So I picked up Dark Souls since i've never played one of these games before only ever so briefly and it is absolute shit on PC. Probably the worst port i've ever seen. Virtually no graphics options, terrible UI, no customizeable controls. It's like they didn't even try.

So I picked up Dark Souls since i've never played one of these games before only ever so briefly and it is absolute shit on PC. Probably the worst port i've ever seen. Virtually no graphics options, terrible UI, no customizeable controls. It's like they didn't even try.

Are you talking about Dark Souls 1 or 2? If DS1, DSfix and a HD texture pack is your friend.

I wouldn't recommend unlocking the frame rate though, as it screws up jump distances and physics interactions.

And if you don't already have one, pick up an Xbox 360 controller. Practically a requirement for this sort of game anyway.

Trust me, it's worth the little bit of hassle getting it set up. One of my favorite games ever.

They didn't try, this is widely known. The community fixed more issues than From did. DS2 was better and DS3 was better again.

Are you talking about Dark Souls 1 or 2? If DS1, DSfix and a HD texture pack is your friend.

I wouldn't recommend unlocking the frame rate though, as it screws up jump distances and physics interactions.

And if you don't already have one, pick up an Xbox 360 controller. Practically a requirement for this sort of game anyway.

Trust me, it's worth the little bit of hassle getting it set up. One of my favorite games ever.

Dark Souls 1. So "DSfix" is what I need, and what HD texture pack do you recommend? Also, the resolutions are terrible. Is there a way to change the resolution? I have a 4K monitor and it would be nice to have some better resolution options.

Last edited:
Dark Souls 1. So "DSfix" is what I need, and what HD texture pack do you recommend? Also, the resolutions are terrible. Is there a way to change the resolution? I have a 4K monitor and it would be nice to have some better resolution options.

DSFix lets you change the resolution. Running it at 4K (over 30fps at least) takes a beast of a system, though. My 980GTX couldn't do it. I haven't tried a 1080, though.
Unlocking the framerate produces some quirks (mainly with jump distances and a rare bug where you can fall through the ground via a ladder) but I still prefer using it. The game lets you toggle back to 30fps for the rare 2-3 instances when you need to jump further.
This is the texture pack I used: Dark Souls HD Texture Pack at Dark Souls Nexus - mods and community Looks like it's been updated a few times since I last downloaded it, but it cleans the game up a bit.

they really didn't know how... and trust me when I say the PC community were screaming for any sort of port and we are completely happy with the port.. the alternative was a console only game similar to demon souls.. The history of it evening coming to the PC is story of legend (or maybe that was petition) but rest assured I am happy its on the PC even in its current state.. and thanks to the Community there are some good options to getting it working better

Dark Souls Miyazoe said:
This is going to sound bad but our main priority was to get the game onto the PC as fast as possible, because people wanted it on the PC," Miyazoe said. "The PC market in Japan is so minimal that originally there were no plans to make it on the PC, but with the strong petition from the North American and European fans, even with the lack of experience of working on a PC platform we still did our best to try to get it out as fast as possible. [The problems] were expected to a certain extent.

Dark Souls with DSFix/HD Textures is a different game than the console version. Outside 2 small tweaks (jump distance/ladder bug) it's worlds better.
I'd rather have them give us a game and not punish the community for optimizing it than not to give us anything.
At this stage in the game's life it's unlikely to ever happen, but it would be kinda cool if someone made a DSFix launcher that let you optimize the game settings with a GUI. I'm more than capable, but I tend to think that the days of tinkering with INIs is mostly over.

they really didn't know how... and trust me when I say the PC community were screaming for any sort of port and we are completely happy with the port.. the alternative was a console only game similar to demon souls.. The history of it evening coming to the PC is story of legend (or maybe that was petition) but rest assured I am happy its on the PC even in its current state.. and thanks to the Community there are some good options to getting it working better

I will try the community stuff to get it working. I almost bought Bloodborne the other day because it was so cheap for PS4 to give the series a try which I might end up doing eventually anyway since that game isn't available for PC.

Pretty much, the game was asked for, and the devs told them, they had no experience whatsoever with pc gaming.... Hell, I'm surprised that it didn't fail at detecting which video card was in your computer. But people bitch after getting what they wanted despite warnings, and continued to do so. I didn't fault From Software for it, and they clearly grasp more of pc gaming as time went on, so good on them.

Back