Display Gaming Poll

5:4 on a 17" LCD @ 1280x1024. (Is the physical monitor 5:4, or just the resolution?)

Even if I did feel that 16:9 helped in games, I wouldn't get a widescreen display.
In fact, the extra-unwide 5:4 is perfectly fine by me. (More lines of text makes me happy.)

I do consider getting a monitor that's easily rotated. After all, the next logical step in aspect ratio is 1:1, and that's taking things just a bit too far. The choice of 3:4 for text and 4:3 for gaming looks to be almost ideal.
(9:16 is a bit too skinny.)

Are you playing your computer games on a 4:3 display or 16:9 or 16:10 Widescreen display?
4:3 on a 21" CRT.
1600x1200 @ 75Hz for normal desktop use. For gaming, the highest resolution that is still playable with my ancient graphics card.

Widescreen displays sound interesting but a new monitor is not in the budget.

Another vote for 1920X1200 :p

And it would be interesting to see the [H] do some laptop video card reviews - maybe a DIY notebook mobo along with some MXM compliant cards would allow for true apples to apples system setups necessary for a good review?

Isaacav2 said:
1280 x 960 = 4:3 a.r (normal)

1280 x 1024 = 5:4 a.r (makes games look wierd)

F.Y.I :)

Thanks for pointing that out. Up until now, I never knew 1280x1024 wasn't 4:3. No wonder when I play standard 4:3 DVDs there's tiny bars at the top and bottom of the screen. :p

Why do you say 5:4 makes games look weird? :confused:

Matrox462 said:
Thanks for pointing that out. Up until now, I never knew 1280x1024 wasn't 4:3. No wonder when I play standard 4:3 DVDs there's tiny bars at the top and bottom of the screen. :p

Why do you say 5:4 makes games look weird? :confused:

Stretches the games screen somewhat...

Back OT: Nokia 21" 4:3

Will be going widescreen very shortly...

4:3 17" CRT.

However, after upgrading to this LCD, it has little ghosting compared to my last LCD that I have considered getting rid of the CRT. I still play games on the CRT but I have tried on this LCD and the compromise is not much.

16:10
1650x1080

Greater horizontal viewing area, at least in games that don't stretch or chop the top/bottom. Feels like it fits my field of vision better than a large 4:3 display.

Mostly 5:4 LCD, but occasionaly 4:3 CRT. I'd love to get a widescreen when I get the cash.

plywood99 said:
(5:4) Stretches the games screen somewhat...
But that's only when running a different resolution like 1024x768 or something, right? If i were to select 1280x1024 in game, that wouldn't look strange, correct?

Im playing on a 24" Sony CRT 16:10 Ratio
My favorite rez is 1280 x 768
Benefits that I have experienced are... in multiplayer situations i have a wider field of view letting me see more of my surroundings at one time. Also in games like wow the ui is much less cluttered.

Isaacav2 said:
1280 x 960 = 4:3 a.r (normal)

1280 x 1024 = 5:4 a.r (makes games look wierd)

F.Y.I :)

Cheers Isaac, I was just ready to be the smartarse to point that out :D

A few people still put 5:4 thou, kudos to you all.

Meh, doesn't really matter, its near enough 4:3, anyway, does anybody happen to know why 17" and 19" LCDs chose that resolution? Correct me if I'm wrong, but 15" LCDs are usually 1024x768 native (4:3) and 20" LCDs are usually 1600x1200 native (again 4:3). Why the discrepancy?

To answer Brent's question; I game at 1024x768 or 1280x1024 usually, I find this is okay, would be nice to try widescreen, but I can't afford a new monitor and a new graphics card needed to drive those kinds of resolutions. Probably will do when I'm loaded :)

My old physics teacher reckons there are still plenty of studies around showing that 4:3 is still the most natural ratio to watch things in, and that widescreen was brought in to flog more TVs. Has anybody read anything about these? I'd be intrigued to know what kind of tests they did to determine this.

Dave

4:3 CRT 1024x768 mainly sometimes higher in single player, would love to do the widescreen but just not in current budget. maybe if this monitor dies ill find a reason to spend the money.

16x9 2005fpw at 1680x1050 resolution and a little lower when my system can't handle it.
I gotta get a longer vga cable so that I can play on my 50" 16x9 lcd tv.
Widescreen gaming all the way baby! :D

superostrich said:
16x9 2005fpw at 1680x1050 resolution and a little lower when my system can't handle it.
I gotta get a longer vga cable so that I can play on my 50" 16x9 lcd tv.

just so yall know.... the dell widescreen monitors (and i assume most other standard widescreen computer displays) are 16:10 aspect ratio. thanks. if you dont think so, get yer calculator out :D

all my gaming is done on my Sharp LC-26D5U 26" LCD TV 1280x720 60MHz, 16:9, 720P on ati 800 pro through DVI. image quality is much better than my 19" acer lcd.

16:10 (1920*1200 on a 2405FPW)

Benefits:
1. Better field of view - you see more going on
2. Games like WoW - they offer more real estate for mods and stuff
3. More attuned to natural human perception.

16:10 @ 1920x1200 when possible otherwise 4:3 @ 1600x1200 with black bars on a 2405FPW. Widescreen offers a wider FoV and more space for MMO interface tools and whatnot.

16:10

I generally try to run games that support WS at my 2005FPW's native res of 1680x1050, though I can't do this well with some newer games due to the older video card. Most games I play frequently are older though (WC3, CoD, HL2), so I haven't seen the need to upgrade.

As for the benefits over 4:3, I haven't really noticed a big difference in gaming from the aspect ratio change other than just a better feeling of immersion. Might have to do with going from a 17" to a 20.1" display though. If the game supports WS res, then you can actually see a little more peripherally too, which is always helpful in FPS games. I do enjoy WS's extra horizontal real estate for non-gaming things like audio recording/editing or just having multiple programs open simultaneously.

Volkum said:
Widescreen offers a wider FoV and more space for MMO interface tools and whatnot.

Wider, FoV, yes. But does it really offer more space?
Another way to view a widescreen monitor is as a 4:3 one with a bit of height cut off. ;)

HHunt said:
Wider, FoV, yes. But does it really offer more space?
Another way to view a widescreen monitor is as a 4:3 one with a bit of height cut off. ;)
the 1280x768 is usually the cutoff one. not the case on the 1920x1200

Are you playing your computer games on a 4:3 display or 16:9 or 16:10 Widescreen display?

16:10 Widescreen - 24" Dell

If you are playing your computer games on a Widescreen display what resolution are you playing at?

1920x1200

What benefits to gameplay do you the gamer experience with a Widescreen display versus a standard 4:3 display?

I prefer widescreen due to the enhanced resolution, and of course the shear space I have on my monitor, I like it to be fit properly. HD-type resolutions are always nice..

Martyr said:
the 1280x768 is usually the cutoff one. not the case on the 1920x1200

For all practical reasons, it can be seen as a 1920x1440 monitor minus 240 pixels of height. ;)
I'm sure they're not physically "cut off", but if you're already using that much desk space, why not get the extra horizontal resolution? If you want a wider FOV, there's always letterboxing.

HHunt said:
For all practical reasons, it can be seen as a 1920x1440 monitor minus 240 pixels of height. ;)
I'm sure they're not physically "cut off", but if you're already using that much desk space, why not get the extra horizontal resolution? If you want a wider FOV, there's always letterboxing.
easier to look left/right then to look up. plus widescreen is more leet.

Dell 2405FPW, 16:10, 1920x1200

I play all my games at that resolution, unless it's not supported *cough*Battlefield 2*cough*. It's really nice to have the wider field of vision, especially in games like EQ2, etc.

Martyr said:
easier to look left/right then to look up. plus widescreen is more leet.

It's easier to scroll vertically, and desk space > leetness. :D
(Neither of which makes 4:3 better for gaming, of course.)

Back