Disney Will Never Alter or Restore Original Star Wars Trilogy

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
You better hang on tight to those Despecialized Editions, as Disney or Lucasfilm has no plans on revisiting the original releases of Episode IV, V, and VI: when asked whether the theatrical cuts would be re-released, Kathleen Kennedy said, "I wouldn't touch those, are you kidding me? [laughs] Those will always remain his.” I am pretty sure Disney doesn’t give a crap about respecting George Lucas based on what has already become of Star Wars, though, so I imagine they are just waiting for the perfect, most profitable time to release the originals on BD (the mouse seems to be avoiding UHD and 4K right now).

Star Wars Celebration happened recently in Orlando, Florida, and there was a lot of big news and exciting stuff coming from every direction. So, a few things managed to fly a little under the radar. Such as an interview that Kathleen Kennedy did for the Steelewars Podcast. During the course of the interview, she was asked about the original trilogy and whether or not they have any plans on restoring the theatrical cuts. While she revealed that there is no agreement in place to keep the Star Wars cuts as they are, she also made it clear that Lucasfilm isn't planning on messing with them.

Disney would make a metric fuck ton of cash if they did release the original trilogy as it was originally shot.

That's a very common complaint from people about the Star Wars series (maybe even more than the prequels quality!).

"Messing with them". It'd be "Demessing" with them.

Disney would make a metric fuck ton of cash if they did release the original trilogy as it was originally shot.

That's a very common complaint from people about the Star Wars series (maybe even more than the prequels quality!).

Yep, I would love to get the originals on br, but I won't spend a dime on those "special updated editions". They don't add anything of value and in some situations what they add detract from the original story. Han stepping on Jabbas tail anyone? What was the point of that?

Disney needs to hurry up and jump on the 4K bandwagon first.

Disney holds out on so much with releases. I still have yet to be able to get Big Hero 6 3d because they won't release it until "their ready".

I guess I'm in the minority as I enjoyed some of the changes. I'd be fine if they released versions with the updated visual effects. I don't even mind some of the continuity adjustments like Boba Fett's voice being made to match the prequels. What I didn't like were the content changes.

I miss being able to click on front page news images and getting a larger version of them, and just the links in the news text going to the source article.

Yep, I would love to get the originals on br, but I won't spend a dime on those "special updated editions". They don't add anything of value and in some situations what they add detract from the original story. Han stepping on Jabbas tail anyone? What was the point of that?

The point was to get an unreleased scene into the new movie. As originally shot, Jabba was a human and Han Solo walks behind him, hence, with the updated Jabba from RotJ, they needed to do something with Han walking behind Jabba, hence the stepping on tail...<shrug>. Probably could have just had him walk behind with no tail step.

Disney holds out on so much with releases. I still have yet to be able to get Big Hero 6 3d because they won't release it until "their ready".
hrmmm. I have had Big Hero 6 on Blu Ray 3d for around a year...

I miss being able to click on front page news images and getting a larger version of them, and just the links in the news text going to the source article.

I updated the post with a larger version of the image (when you click on it). There are a lot of similar comparisons if you plug in "despecialized edition" in Google Image Search, for those curious.

????
IT has already been altered and restored. That idiot excuse of an actor Hayden Christiansen was inserted into the original films in certain places. Talk about no talent. He would probably do a great Pinocchio, a wooden boy for his wooden acting.

I'd really love the original in UHD. I've always felt the white boxes around the fighters were a bit too soft, but I think 4k will make them nice and sharp

Other than the "Han shot first" and the Mos Eisley arrival scenes I'm ok with the remastered versions

Other than the "Han shot first" and the Mos Eisley arrival scenes I'm ok with the remastered versions
I'd also like the Han/Jabba scene to either go away or figure out a way to make Jabba sufficiently large. But honestly, the sfx for tie-fighters are awful in the original. Hell, they still weren't perfect the in later versions.

I would be more interested in the re-mastered editions.

There's a whole generation out there that is ok with the remastered versions because that's all they've ever seen. Eventually, those originals will be a memory.

Release the whole series (Special super dooper JarJar Enhanced edition's) in 4K, but give a 'special feature' on the media for the originals in all their old ass glory. Make everyone happy.

Disney Will Never Alter or Restore Original Star Wars Trilogy

*10 Years from now*

Disney to re-release original trilogy as special upgraded deluxe cashcow edition. Buy now!

I have a feeling once Episode 9 is ready for home release Disney will release the original trilogy in it's original format.

Reactions: MV75
like this

Problem is, it does not exist anymore, Lucas cut the schnizzle out of the original Star Wars

I wonder if it's some clause in the contract that they aren't allowed to release the originals. I could see Lucas doing that shit.

I'd get a remastered theatrical cut in a heart-beat. if not... my older DVD set will continue to be used since it has the unedited versions on them. I still prefer them even with the crappy picture and audio :p

Now I want to get a laserdisc player.

Fuck this is why I'm poor as shit. Oh well, Star Wars: Original Trilogy mission is a go.

Sigh, so fucking stupid.

Allowing people to (legally) see the ORIGINAL movie how it was originally released and how they saw it the first time far outweighs "George Lucas" stupid need to alter and cgi the moves years later.

Do not get why on earth Disney would not release the original movies, and I can't understand why Lucas is so freaking adamant against it, it boggles my mind.

When you release a movie (or book/game) and people get to experience it, it no longer simply stays as "your" art, it becomes part of them.

IIRC, Disney doesn't own rights to publish the original trilogy until 2020, so their hands are tied for 3 years regardless. Ideally, I'd want UHD 4K BD with both versions on each disc.

This is the last ever time we are going to release this from the vaults of Disney....every year.

Some things are better uncut.

I still have the original's on VHS. I wish I could find a local service that would rip them and upscale them to HD resolution and clear up any artifacts. Eventually that tape will disintegrate.

IIRC, Disney doesn't own rights to publish the original trilogy until 2020, so their hands are tied for 3 years regardless. Ideally, I'd want UHD 4K BD with both versions on each disc.
And even then they won't have the rights to A New Hope. Fox owns that one.

They will release them at some point... likely a few months after Lucas kicks it. It will be their way to remember him $$$$$.

The most cringe worthy revision of Star Wars, was the addition of the 'Noooooo!' by Vader. I first saw that clip on Youtube and thought for sure it was just some troll trying to get fans enraged.

Unfortunately that troll was Lucas himself.

This is the biggest oddity. Disney made an incredibly good investment in buying Lucasfilms, but they are not giving what all the fans want; a remastered original trilogy without all the added CGI bullshit that was added by George. I am sure they must exist somewhere in the Lucasfilm vault.

Disney loves money; why not give us this?

They just need to put Boba Fett's original voice From Empire AKA Jason Wingreen back in. Can't stand the Temuera's voice

Why are you guys asking for anything? We already have the despecialized versions in HD and they look fucking great on our OLED screen. What I want Disney to do with Star Wars is dick all. I don't care about it anymore. I got what I wanted.

This isn't true...it's purely a licensing issue, and that's it. I could say more, but I can't.

Disney doesn't own A New Hope. Fox does. It would have to work out a deal with Fox in order to secure the rights to complete the whole thing.

There's a whole generation out there that is ok with the remastered versions because that's all they've ever seen. Eventually, those originals will be a memory.

Release the whole series (Special super dooper JarJar Enhanced edition's) in 4K, but give a 'special feature' on the media for the originals in all their old ass glory. Make everyone happy.
I saw the original when I was 7, still like the remastered versions better.

I still have the original's on VHS. I wish I could find a local service that would rip them and upscale them to HD resolution and clear up any artifacts. Eventually that tape will disintegrate.

Don't waste your money if you ever find someone that offers that service, because they're full of shit.

Are we sure that Fox doesn't own all 3 of them? My VHS copies all have the FOX logos on them.

Your VHS copies are over 25 years old. Fox is out since the Lucasfilm buyout. They still own rights to A New Hope, but Empire and Jedi now belong to Disney. You no longer hear the 20th Century Fox Fanfare in front of those films or any of the Prequel Trilogy either.

Back