Disney Completes Fox Acquisition

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
In spite of regulatory hurdles and anticompetetive accusations, The Walt Disney Company completed their acquisition of Fox yesterday. Disney themselves value the deal at about $71 Billion, and say they expect to make at least $2 billion from it by 2021. As we've noted before, the deal could have a significant impact on Hulu, as Disney is now a majority shareholder in the company with a 60% stake, while Comcast only owns 30% and AT&T owns a non-voting 10%. Some might expect Disney's competitors (and their shareholders) to be worried about the portfolio they've amassed, but Netflix's stock price actually rose 5% in the wake of the merge, while Disney's was relatively flat.

The acquisition includes 21st Century Fox's renowned film production businesses, including Twentieth Century Fox, Fox Searchlight Pictures, Fox 2000 Pictures, Fox Family and Fox Animation; Fox's television creative units, Twentieth Century Fox Television, FX Productions and Fox21; FX Networks; National Geographic Partners; Fox Networks Group International; Star India; and Fox's interests in Hulu, Tata Sky and Endemol Shine Group. Disney and 21st Century Fox entered into a consent decree with the U.S. Department of Justice last year under which Disney will divest 21st Century Fox's Regional Sports Networks. Earlier today, 21st Century Fox completed the spin-off of a portfolio of 21st Century Fox's news, sports and broadcast businesses, including the FOX News Channel, FOX Business Network, FOX Broadcasting Company, FOX Sports, FOX Television Stations Group, and sports cable networks FS1, FS2, Fox Deportes and Big Ten Network, and certain other assets and liabilities, into Fox Corporation.

I understand Capitalism. Capitalism has done more to lift people out of poverty then any other force on Earth. I know it's value. What I don't understand is allowing these MASSIVE corporations to continue to grow and swallow everything else like the Borg. Why do we allow EVERY industry to be controlled by one or two giant firms. It's infuriating.

I wonder if Disney will get them to stop spreading propaganda on their news networks then...

Reactions: Madoc
like this
Sick of Disney's corporate beige.
I can like some things, but shit, they are a corporate beige behemoth, and I am sick of 'beige' in general.

Reactions: Madoc
like this
And here I thought the future of media would be controlled by ABCNNBCBS. Who'd ever thought it would be Disney?

So Klinger is an official Disney Princess? Woohoo!

My vote for "favorite new Disney princess" goes to Lana.

And here I thought the future of media would be controlled by ABCNNBCBS. Who'd ever thought it would be Disney?

Disney already owns ABC. TBH, I have a hard time keeping track of the ownership chains these days...

I hate Disney so much. Walt would hate it now too.

Walt was a staunch conservative, he's been spinning in his grave for decades.

I understand Capitalism. Capitalism has done more to lift people out of poverty then any other force on Earth. I know it's value. What I don't understand is allowing these MASSIVE corporations to continue to grow and swallow everything else like the Borg. Why do we allow EVERY industry to be controlled by one or two giant firms. It's infuriating.

Because politicians don't enforce antitrust law anymore, like the Sherman Act. Most of them work for Megacorp.

I wonder if Disney will get them to stop spreading propaganda on their news networks then...

Fox News isn't a part of 21st Century Fox and you have the propaganda part backwards.

Capitalisms is like fire. A Powerfull servent. But a horrid master

The isue is that the US has lifted this fire to goodlike statue and the fire got out of control.
We need to tame it again to make sure to get the warmth from it, without our house burning down.

the deal could have a significant impact on Hulu

since they now own hulu, it wouldnt make much sense for them to harm it. I could actually see them folding their own streaming service into hulu, as an add-on package if anything

Fox News and other parts are turning into their own network(s?)

Earlier today, 21st Century Fox completed the spin-off of a portfolio of 21st Century Fox’s news, sports and broadcast businesses, including the FOX News Channel, FOX Business Network, FOX Broadcasting Company, FOX Sports, FOX Television Stations Group, and sports cable networks FS1, FS2, Fox Deportes and Big Ten Network, and certain other assets and liabilities, into Fox Corporation.

since they now own hulu, it wouldnt make much sense for them to harm it. I could actually see them folding their own streaming service into hulu, as an add-on package if anything

Based on what I've seen, it seems that Disney will be launching their service as something seperate, and they can't necessarily take over Hulu since Comcast still owns a 30% stake. That puts Hulu in the akward position of competing with the company that owns a majority stake in it.

You aren't wrong though. My money is on a slow, subtle assimilation/merging of the services, kinda like AT&T is doing with U-Verse and DirecTV

Based on what I've seen, it seems that Disney will be launching their service as something seperate, and they can't necessarily take over Hulu since Comcast still owns a 30% stake. That puts Hulu in the akward position of competing with the company that owns a majority stake in it.

You aren't wrong though. My money is on a slow, subtle assimilation/merging of the services, kinda like AT&T is doing with U-Verse and DirecTV

one thing, that for the life of me, i havent been able to figure out is WHY.. ROKU hasnt taken more of a lead in the whole streaming services. Their device is a perfect platform to combine all the separate streaming services and have 1 billing service.

Does this mean the X-Men are going to save the Avengers?

More likely the Fantastic Four, the X-Men are actually kind of underwhelming (most of them can die to a simple bullet) and Reed is the one that cracked the secret of the Infinity Gauntlet.

Incorrect : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_Corporation

Fox Corporation, now owned by DIsney, was 21st Century Fox, is the parent company of Fox News.

Walt was a staunch conservative, he's been spinning in his grave for decades.

Because politicians don't enforce antitrust law anymore, like the Sherman Act. Most of them work for Megacorp.

Fox News isn't a part of 21st Century Fox and you have the propaganda part backwards.

At what point does this become anti-competitive. Surely this can't be good for the consumers.

Does this mean the X-Men are going to save the Avengers?

Nope. The final cut of Endgame was completed already. Unless they put something together completely last second (like the end-credits scene for the first Avenger's movie) there will be nothing about F4 or X-Men in Endgame itself or in the credits.

CNN != Fox News.

Disney does own Fox News, as it is a child company of Fox Corporation (formerly 21st Century Fox) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_Corporation

Disney does NOT own Fox News. Stop using Wiki as source and look at the damn news that has been discussed on this merger for over a year.

I understand Inverted Totalitarianism. Plutocracies has done more to lift people out of poverty then any other force on Earth. I know it's value. What I don't understand is allowing these MASSIVE corporations to continue to grow and swallow everything else like the Borg. Why do we allow EVERY industry to be controlled by one or two giant firms. It's infuriating.

Fixed that for you.

Once you understand the terminologies, then the control will make more sense.

I wonder if Disney will ever stop spreading propaganda on their non-news channels.

This is 100% true. Disney is going hard on SJW. Look what they did on Captain Marvel. They hired the perfect little millennial, Brie Larson. Bree Olson is more reality grounded individual.

Ok so you don't want a monopoly, but from a governments prospective What is easier? Managing/regulating and investigating 5-10 different corps, or only 2. I guess it would be a matter of resources and how much in tax revenue you would want to tie up.

Back