Dishonored 2

Isn't today technically day zero? Preorder peeps get first crack and tomorrow, the 11th, was "official street date?"

Wouldn't halfway surprise me to see a "day one" patch tomorrow.

Arkane is a hell of a good studio. These issues will be short lived. I certainly expect a public acknowledgement of said issues in the near future at minimum.

Agree completely. I'm of the opinion that these guys care about their work, and the people that play it. We'll see of course, but this stuff happens, and it's how the dev responds that actually counts.

For example. Even though I still like No Man's Sky, and play it from time to time, I've stopped giving them any benefit of the doubt. I no longer post wishful, no they'll pull through comments. They proved otherwise. Arkane has never been known to be like this. They'll have this sorted in no time.

They already acknowledged the issues that users are having and are working on developing a patch. Read through this Twitter user's snarky question and the developer answers.

Good.

I really get pissed off seeing all these entitled, snippy know it alls. The game just came out. The snarkiness and bullshit is just uncalled for.

It's a new engine and I think the Twitter accounts have been telling people to contact Bethesda Support.

idT5 with tweaks called the "Void Engine."

It would have been nicer to see the idT6 DOOM engine with tweaks.

Without having to comb through that huge reddit thread... anyone with good memories or some such have a summary of the best tweaks and tips so far that are wortwhile?

Yes, I don't feel like combing through that huge thing. Sue me. ;)

It's a new engine and I think the Twitter accounts have been telling people to contact Bethesda Support.

idT5 with tweaks called the "Void Engine."

It would have been nicer to see the idT6 DOOM engine with tweaks.

Well you have to take into account when ID Tech6 was finished, was it ready for anything other than a corridor shooter? How easy is it to adapt to a more open world type game at least in relation Doom? Do the assets that they were bringing from the old game plug easily into ID Tech6?

Don't want to end up with a Duke Nukem where the game is delayed over and over for 10+ years to bring the graphics up to par.

By the same token you owe it to your fans to polish your game.

Have a physical copy on my doorstep. Will see how things shape up, otherwise may return and buy it later for less. Hope SLI can work, otherwise will be SOL. Waiting for 1080Ti or whatever's next.

Have a physical copy on my doorstep. Will see how things shape up, otherwise may return and buy it later for less. Hope SLI can work, otherwise will be SOL. Waiting for 1080Ti or whatever's next.
SLI does not work going by the benchmarks posted on the previous page.

SLI does not work going by the benchmarks posted on the previous page.
Yea, hoping for a patch that makes it work, but not holding my breath. Looking on google there are ways with NV Inpsector to get SLI working as usual. Be so glad to be rid of SLI...

Well you have to take into account when ID Tech6 was finished, was it ready for anything other than a corridor shooter? How easy is it to adapt to a more open world type game at least in relation Doom? Do the assets that they were bringing from the old game plug easily into ID Tech6?

Don't want to end up with a Duke Nukem where the game is delayed over and over for 10+ years to bring the graphics up to par.

By the same token you owe it to your fans to polish your game.

id's engines have always been adapted beyond their signature Doom/Quake type environments, but I agree that they seemed geared toward giving the best visuals possible within a limited environment. Tech 5 changed that a bit I think though. In fact RAGE's outdoor areas are absolutely gorgeous. It was the corridor sections that actually needed better texturing and lighting. I'd be willing to bet that Tech 6 would be great for more open level design since they tuned everything, and added dynamic lighting back in. I'd be curious to know what Arkane did to their version of the engine. If you remember how The Evil Within started out, they had tacked on their own lighting engine to Tech 5, locked things to 30FPS, and the engine was horribly clunky. They eventually sorted it all out, but that makes me think a couple of things. id's engines are highly tuned to do what they do best. Removing portions, and replacing them with other things that aren't quite honed in the same way may detract from how integrated everything is in the base engine. I don't have a great analogy, but IMO it would be somewhat similar to just buying a highly refined German sports car in the first place, or buying something less refined, and bolting things on until it almost reaches that performance, but never quite pulls it all together. (for lack of better example...)

I'm not saying that's what Arkane did here. That was more a comparison to The Evil Within's version of Tech 5 as opposed to say Wolfenstein or even RAGE. Arkane's engine might be great, and just has some "first game on the engine" flaws that will be sorted out shortly.

Steve linked this on the front page.
https://bethesda.net/en/article/4ni...ishonored-2-gone-gold-and-system-requirements

Dishonored 2 – Launch FAQ
UPDATE 11/10

We are aware that some of you may be encountering issues with Dishonored 2 on PC. Please take a moment to review our recommendations to help better your experience.

General recommendations

Avoid using Alt-Tab when playing. Relaunch the game if you see performance dropping after using Alt-tab.

Avoid having background applications running in addition to the game.

Video Settings

If you have performance issues, try lowering the resolution.

Use 1440p resolution only if you have a very high-end GPU ( GTX 1070/1080 or equivalent)

Keep the V-Sync activated, especially if you have large framerate fluctuations.

If you have framerate under 30 fps, adjust the “Adaptive Resolution” between minimum (50%) and default value (75%).

Advanced Settings

Use the “Auto” presets: this should adjust your visual settings without impacting your framerate.

If you still have performance issues with “Auto” presets:

Try deactivating the “TXAA Anti-Aliasing”

Try lowering the texture details

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Exactly the spot on support and communication I expected.

adjust the “Adaptive Resolution” between minimum (50%) and default value (75%).

Still want to know what this even is!

Bonus nitpick request: Get rid of those damned forced intro videos when firing up the game?

Exactly the spot on support and communication I expected.

Still want to know what this even is!

Bonus nitpick request: Get rid of those damned forced intro videos when firing up the game?

I might be wrong, but it is most likely resolution scaling. So it should be 75% of your chosen resolution or 50% of your chosen resolution. Like I said I could very well be wrong. ;)

I'm thinking it's the exact opposite of upscaling. ;)

like this
Dafuq?

I'm at 4K, guess I'll be waiting a long time to play this. I guess I could play at 1080p, but damn...

I definitely expect performance to improve with patches and drivers (better optimization.) Don't give up. The game doesn't "officially" even street until tomorrow.

I definitely expect performance to improve with patches and drivers (better optimization.) Don't give up. The game doesn't "officially" even street until tomorrow.

That's when the "Turn it up to SUPER ULTRA" Steam crowd starts leaving negative scores. :)

I'm thinking a 45/100 score by midnight.

like this
That's when the "Turn it up to SUPER ULTRA" Steam crowd starts leaving negative scores. :)

I'm thinking a 45/100 score by midnight.

Yup, a bunch of nonsense. A likely GOTY candidate but it's going to get trolled down by morons.

Not meant for a videocard versus post. Just look at how the frame rate changes when you do an action or turn.

like this
Dafuq?

I'm at 4K, guess I'll be waiting a long time to play this. I guess I could play at 1080p, but damn...

d_3840.png

Going from TXAA to FXAA High is big. Frankly it looks better, too. Less soft. Max everything out and do that and see what happens. I'm north of 60 so far at all times with a 980Ti at 1920X1200 although I definitely see the dramatic up and down on fps. V sync is off on a 60Hz monitor.

Thanks bro. Honestly, I expected a lot worse based on the previous 1440p chart. I'm on a 980 Ti. If performance improves like Q-BZ thinks it will, I might be able to have a decent experience. Currently trying to hold out for 1080 Ti to see how it compares to the newest Titan...a second 980 Ti SLI would be pretty boss overall but I don't want to deal with the extra heat, power requirements, unsupported games, etc.

like this
eh, I run it in a window. alt-tab in and out of it all the time. works fine for me. but then I am not running it 1080p but somewhat less.

Damn. I'm killing more than I want to. You can into this rhythm of sorts with timed blocked and all of a sudden you've racked up a bit of a body count.

It was tough deciding who to play with first and then you have to decide if you're going to take supernatural powers or not a little later on. (These aren't spoilers. This is common knowledge)

I chose to play as Emily first and declined supernatural powers.

got my copy...will install it later tonight...hopefully my 970 at 1200p will be able to handle it...pre-orders came with Dishonored 1 Definitive Edition...any improvements on PC with that or is it mainly for console?

Ok, I had just enough time to install, setup, and muck around the tutorial, so this is by no means comprehensive. I did not install any new drivers. The last one I installed was about 3 weeks ago or so. Just installed the game, and hopped in. I had all settings maxed, except I didn't use HBAO+ as while it does some nice things in the subtle detail department, it doesn't really make me drool or my eyes pop out in wonderment. :p I'll of course turn it on later, play with other settings and such, but just to get rolling in the few minutes I had tonight. Running at 1080 on my GTX 1070, 4690K, 16GB, SSDs.

Through the tutorial, I never saw a hitch, or anything that looked like it dropped below synced 60fps (which is how I run all games). It was smooth as silk.

The mouse control IN GAME was fine. Responsive, smooth, nothing weird. Nothing amazing either, but solid. However, in the menus, the mouse was glitchy, and I often had to press enter instead of clicking to select certain options. I'm not sure if it's one of those things where you get an offset a few pixels away from the actual pointer tip, or if it was something else. I didn't want to waste time in the menus. So they definitely have some input related things to fix, which I've read elsewhere, and also read that they're working on that (among other things).

The graphics look very nice so far. (yes, I've only made it a little bit into it) Nothing revolutionary, but very nice.

So, very limited time, but it's performing pretty much flawlessly (though how much headroom above 1080/60 there is I don't know for anyone using higher res or refresh). No issues with the mouse in-game, but definitely has problems in the menus. I'll get going on an actual mission tomorrow, and see how things look under "real" game play conditions.

I'll also download the new driver for it, after first playing a bit with the current one. If I notice anything horrible, distracting, unstable, etc. I'll post back. It doesn't look like I'll be seeing anything like that though. I imagine they'll have my mouse-menu weirdness fixed soon too.

I wish I had time to actually play tonight, but I at least wanted to get a quick impression, and whip up a quick post.

More tomorrow.

I'll give a quick few thoughts too:

- Performance is VERY mixed -

I'm on the newest driver, and I've got a 980Ti with some overclocking and at 1440p I was anywhere from mid 90's to mid 50's. This is Vsync off (I have Gsync), high/very high (no ultra for me), and running full screen (no borderless windowed but more on this in below). CPU is all over the place, and one of the recommendations was to bump up the priority of the game's EXE. Can't say if this made it any better.

FXAA has extremely bad shimmering noise on edges (white pixels constantly firing on polygon edges). I would say it's aesthetically unplayable for me at this point so I'm stuck with TXAA aka Blurry McBlur.

I will say that I tried mucking around with the graphics a bit (i.e. hey how bad is 1080p on my screen, what is adaptive resolution, etc.) and my graphics driver did a "soft" crash. Performance tanked down to sub 30fps and was not resolved until I restarted the PC (restarting the game had zero effect).

FOV slider goes up to 110 degrees. My preferred setting is 105 and it feels just like the first game's FOV.

- The engine has a subtle new feel -

I think they did an okay job of recreating the first game's feeling in the new engine, but things are different. The way you mantle has changed, as well as jumping (there's a noticeable delay if you try to initiate a run and jump) so I find myself clumsier than I was in the first game, this is with both Corvo and Emily. I have tried blinking/jumping to the top of a post or perch spot and finding difficulty jumping off of it, most times when I try to do so I take a step or two forward so I fall off the point. Sliding is also different, although the addition of a parkour-styled vault/mantle is interesting and I can see this being both fun and highly annoying since you cannot accurately gauge what you can and cannot mantle over (i.e. some debris is a hard stop, some waist-high cover you can vault).

Enemies will see you a bit more frequently now, and there are two types of visibility: the white meter for suspicion, and the red meter for enemy aggro. You can no longer duck behind cover and lean safely. Lean also has three flavors (left, right, and up) but mapping to keyboard feels clumsy (i.e. I lean left and it gives me a HUD popup for the keys to lean in every direction). I also cannot tell if I move and break out of the lean, sometimes I do, sometimes I do not.

The radial menus are back but so are the hotkeys (1-9 in standard mapping).

I am happy to say that to slide you don't need to hold down crouch the entire time like the first game (I have an INI hack for this if anyone cares anymore). You can move forward, hit sprint (not needed to hold down sprint), and hit crouch (no longer hold) to initiate a slide. However your legs always move with the camera, so you can slide, flip your view 180 and all of a sudden your legs are facing backward. The first game did not do this.

- Chaos is visible in your save/load -

You also have three main save "campaigns" with a series of save slots. Not sure if each save campaign has independent save slots. I want to say no but I have to look.

- Corvo speaking is weird -

I can't get used to it. Also, there is no continuation from the first game, i.e. it seems to believe you "cut down your enemies" to achieve saving Emily (this is a minor spoiler for Dishonored 1 but c'mon). So it already assumes Corvo was a bit of a killer. I guess that's fine, but it wasn't my Corvo. Also, where's Samuel?

- The standard id Tech 5 command line switches don't work -

Console, skip intro videos, etc., seem to be changed/disabled. In order to skip intro videos you have to replace the BNK's with a blank file (it's available on PCGamingWiki, I'll dig up the link later, or up it here).

- Okay this was not "quick" -

Kind of wish I took the day off from work!

I'll give a quick few thoughts too:

- Performance is VERY mixed -

Agreed.

I'm on the newest driver, and I've got a 980Ti with some overclocking and at 1440p I was anywhere from mid 90's to mid 50's. This is Vsync off (I have Gsync), high/very high (no ultra for me), and running full screen (no borderless windowed but more on this in below). CPU is all over the place, and one of the recommendations was to bump up the priority of the game's EXE. Can't say if this made it any better.

I'll experiment with some of this. For me I didn't overthink it: Full max, full ultra, full screen, vsync off, FXAA high and I've never gone below 60 yet although I'm at 1920X1200 on a 980Ti. There definitely is some wild up and down on the fps.

FXAA has extremely bad shimmering noise on edges (white pixels constantly firing on polygon edges). I would say it's aesthetically unplayable for me at this point so I'm stuck with TXAA aka Blurry McBlur.

Personal preferences of course but I can't stand the thin smear of vaseline from TXAA. Totally unacceptable. I'll take clarity with a few minor quirks any day of the week instead. YMMV

FXAA High all the way is my personal recommendation to everyone. It's quite a difference on clarity. The blur is unacceptable for me personally. Too soft.

Remember: I have everything including view distance set to ultra as well.

I will say that I tried mucking around with the graphics a bit (i.e. hey how bad is 1080p on my screen, what is adaptive resolution, etc.) and my graphics driver did a "soft" crash. Performance tanked down to sub 30fps and was not resolved until I restarted the PC (restarting the game had zero effect).

I've kept adaptive at whatever their default value is for whatever that's worth.

FOV slider goes up to 110 degrees. My preferred setting is 105 and it feels just like the first game's FOV.

I'm using 90.

- The engine has a subtle new feel -

I think they did an okay job of recreating the first game's feeling in the new engine, but things are different. The way you mantle has changed, as well as jumping (there's a noticeable delay if you try to initiate a run and jump) so I find myself clumsier than I was in the first game, this is with both Corvo and Emily. I have tried blinking/jumping to the top of a post or perch spot and finding difficulty jumping off of it, most times when I try to do so I take a step or two forward so I fall off the point. Sliding is also different, although the addition of a parkour-styled vault/mantle is interesting and I can see this being both fun and highly annoying since you cannot accurately gauge what you can and cannot mantle over (i.e. some debris is a hard stop, some waist-high cover you can vault).

I agree about nuanced differences here. Having the CTRL and ALT keys in play as much as they are at default is something I might mess with. Keybinding experimentation is going to happen today.

Enemies will see you a bit more frequently now, and there are two types of visibility: the white meter for suspicion, and the red meter for enemy aggro. You can no longer duck behind cover and lean safely. Lean also has three flavors (left, right, and up) but mapping to keyboard feels clumsy (i.e. I lean left and it gives me a HUD popup for the keys to lean in every direction). I also cannot tell if I move and break out of the lean, sometimes I do, sometimes I do not.

Yes, this is noticeable. I'm stick with Medium difficulty for now. Hard was kicking my butt a little bit.

The radial menus are back but so are the hotkeys (1-9 in standard mapping).

I am happy to say that to slide you don't need to hold down crouch the entire time like the first game (I have an INI hack for this if anyone cares anymore). You can move forward, hit sprint (not needed to hold down sprint), and hit crouch (no longer hold) to initiate a slide. However your legs always move with the camera, so you can slide, flip your view 180 and all of a sudden your legs are facing backward. The first game did not do this.

- Chaos is visible in your save/load -

You also have three main save "campaigns" with a series of save slots. Not sure if each save campaign has independent save slots. I want to say no but I have to look.

I like all of this.

- Corvo speaking is weird -

I can't get used to it. Also, there is no continuation from the first game, i.e. it seems to believe you "cut down your enemies" to achieve saving Emily (this is a minor spoiler for Dishonored 1 but c'mon). So it already assumes Corvo was a bit of a killer. I guess that's fine, but it wasn't my Corvo. Also, where's Samuel?

- The standard id Tech 5 command line switches don't work -

Console, skip intro videos, etc., seem to be changed/disabled. In order to skip intro videos you have to replace the BNK's with a blank file (it's available on PCGamingWiki, I'll dig up the link later, or up it here).

- Okay this was not "quick" -

Kind of wish I took the day off from work!

LOL!

I'll hopefully some time later today to get into some of this myself.

I'm taking off work a bit early today, so I can actually get some real play time in with this. I agree on the blur being unacceptable. I even prefer no AA to that. I can handle a little shimmer. Maybe it comes from playing games in the DOS era at 320x200/240 but my brain is quite good a glossing over edge all by itself. This has always benefited me, especially when AA modes were extremely expensive on GPUs. It's always the first thing I sacrifice followed by AO. That usually allows me to keep all the real candy maxed. Can't wait to get into this further tonight.

Anyone else have mouse weirdness in the menus? (was fine in game, but it didn't register half my clicks in the menus) I'll pop the new driver on before I play more I think. Who knows maybe Steam will have patched it by the time I get home. :D

like this
you can also escape and click stats to view your current/global statistics. there I learned I had 1 kill for some reason. damned annoying. also the save game slots are really shitty IMO if you are trying for some type of playthrough. with only 1 for quicksaves and 2 for auto it is easy to blow through them without realizing you have failed your chosen playthrough

like this
you can also escape and click stats to view your current/global statistics. there I learned I had 1 kill for some reason. damned annoying. also the save game slots are really shitty IMO if you are trying for some type of playthrough. with only 1 for quicksaves and 2 for auto it is easy to blow through them without realizing you have failed your chosen playthrough
You can still manually save though, which I recommend.

I do hate blur but the short time I've played I found FXAA to have some serious problems on my GPU/display rendering combo: I got a lot of white specks on both polygon edges (around the head/body of characters) and texture edges (seriously, I looked up at the ceiling and got aliasing white spots). In the first game I used a custom Nvidia Inspector profile to force 4xMSAA, and I might try this again (of course that was Unreal, as opposed to id Tech 5). At this time though, I might deal with the TXAA. Tough to say.

like this
Glad I waited to buy this. Maybe by Christmas they'll have the bugs sorted out and a cheaper price to boot!

For those in even more of a hurry:

“We are actively working to provide an update to address your concerns. The patch and its release notes will be available in the coming days.

“With the feedback our support group as received, we are preparing a patch intended to provide improvements to allow for more consistent framerates on affected systems and provide an update to the mouse code for smoother input.

“While we prepare the patch, we encourage players to use the recommended settings posted on Bethesda.net and check out the Steam Community Guides for the best experience.”

I have full confidence in Arkane. Today is day 1. Yesterday was day 0. A little patience. ;)

It may have to do with the final stretches of development involving things like 18 hour days and such. I can't imagine too many people making the best decisions after a couple of months of that. :D I don't know that Arkane does this type of crunch-mode, but many studios do. I've known devs who lost their wives/families over this stuff, some went off the deep-end a little bit, etc. etc. Not saying this is the reason for this, but a three system simultaneous release, sleep deprivation, trying to meet a holiday release schedule. Something's bound to break.

I too would prefer things were just released fully tested, fully ready, and flawless. However, we all know that that rarely happens anymore. Some of it may fall on the developers, but I assume a lot of it is kind of out of their hands. I tend to cut a bit of slack though. As long as they get it sorted fairly quickly I'm good.

Back