Dishonored 2

I'm on the cusp of preordering this (my absolute last attempt at a AAA preorder ever, I suppose), but has there been any word on whether you can quicksave/load anywhere like you could in the first? I've seen lots of people pissing on "not living with your choices" but frankly zero chaos, fully nonlethal runs are INCREDIBLY difficult without it. I'd much rather my immersion be broken a bit than having to reload the whole freaking map if you get caught.

I'm hoping for a lengthy campaign...I like long games
In that Twitch stream I posted earlier the devs expect around 15 hours in your first playthrough for the "average" player. Their testers ranged between 6 and 25 hours, if I remember correctly.

I'm on the cusp of preordering this (my absolute last attempt at a AAA preorder ever, I suppose), but has there been any word on whether you can quicksave/load anywhere like you could in the first? I've seen lots of people pissing on "not living with your choices" but frankly zero chaos, fully nonlethal runs are INCREDIBLY difficult without it. I'd much rather my immersion be broken a bit than having to reload the whole freaking map if you get caught.
Yeah, that developer gameplay video mentioned save/quicksave anywhere.

This game will not disappoint.

For anyone still looking, you can pick this up at www.cdkeys.com for $40.95, or if it's your first time buying from them, you can like their FB page for a 5% off coupon. I scored the game, which includes the "Assassin's Pack" DLC for $38.85. Not too shabby. They email you your Steam Key pretty much the instant your pay source clears. These guys are pretty great so Enjoy!

Silver
(Former MS Employee)

Yeah, GMG and CDK have decent pricing. I really want this too. But, I don't think I'm going to have time to play it any time in the next few weeks. :( I may pick it up while the prices are good anyway though for when I do get a chance.

I agree, quicksaving (i.e. save scumming) is fine, but it does break immersion. As time consuming as it is, I like to go into a level blind, run through it once attempting stealth and then immediately play it again with full-stealth-non-lethal, or (a very cathartic) full chaos run. Trying to do it in one shot is difficult for sure, but satisfying to pull off. And there's a certain degree of "winging it" that I find fun with no equal.

Yeah, GMG and CDK have decent pricing. I really want this too. But, I don't think I'm going to have time to play it any time in the next few weeks. :( I may pick it up while the prices are good anyway though for when I do get a chance.

The good thing is, if you can stay away from spoilers, there's no penalty for coming to the party late. I've been recommending Dishonored 1 to friends non-stop since it came out in 2012 and as long as they stayed away from spoilers and YouTube, they were all very happy campers.

Dishonored 2 PC performance and settings. Spoiler; it runs like sh*t on anything less than a GTX 1070. Even with a GTX 1070 it dips from 80 to 60 if you turn slightly into a new direction. AMD did release new drivers tonight for the game. Will be interesting to see how it runs with those. I assume that Nvidia has drivers out / coming also?
http://www.pcgamer.com/dishonored-2-pc-performance-and-settings/

The recommended volume for the use of video resolution of 1920x1080 would be 6144 MB of video memory, to allow 2560h1440 -6144 Mb of video memory and to allow 3840h2160 about 8192 MB of video memory.
http://gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/dishonored-2-test-gpu

d_1920.png

d_2560.png

Last edited:
Might find some help for performance in the Dishonored subreddit. ID Tech5.

It looks really good. I just played it now (only the tutorial level). Seems to be running great on my system using very high settings.

Didn't preorder this one. Nov and Dec are MP game months for me typically.
However, I am excited to see that this also does not support SLi and runs like utter crap... :rolleyes:

I just ran it on my pc (295x2 with the latest 16.11.3 drivers) on ultra at 2560x1440 without any problems, I did the tutorial and half of the first mission so to speak and it looks like I'll be enjoying it as I enjoyed the first dishonored, I'm currently debating on slaughtering everyone or try a non-lethal approach the first time.

Damn. This game just not optimized or what? No way the graphics should actually require such a beefy rig at 1080p.

Just got done with the Crown Keeper or whatever most boring quest I ever played they still have electric walls and stuff game looks good but it's just a ugly quest and fetch.
Looking for Runes and Bone Charms is pretty mind numbing.

I was expecting to be blow away with the game it's just more of the same......unless it gets better later on

according to the ever reliable Wikipedia :D..."Dishonored 2 uses the Void Engine, described as "based on Id Tech 6 [but with] rewritten quite everything that's 70% of the engine"

70% = stuttering mess obviously. ;) ID Tech5 is also probably 70% of ID Tech6 if you really think about it. :)

Just having a bit of fun with you. ;)

the game seems pretty much like the last one so far, although stealth seems to have been tightened a bit. shall be interesting.

I'm hoping for a lengthy campaign...I like long games
for most games that have stealth, the pattern goes as follows:
Stealth->many hours of gameplay
Lethal->steamroll through content
I suspect this will be the same

On Steam it only has a 63% rating. All of the negative reviews say that the game has a great story and action, but the dips to 15 fps and mouse lag sully the experience. Seems the mouse speed is tied to the frame rate.

On Steam it only has a 63% rating. All of the negative reviews say that the game has a great story and action, but the dips to 15 fps and mouse lag sully the experience. Seems the mouse speed is tied to the frame rate.

A shame they would make that kind of poor design decision on what's otherwise going to be a stellar game and product.

I expect a quick fix from this crew.

Lol I have a 980 Ti and according to that chart up there I wouldn't even be able to get it to run at 60 FPS at 1440p. Screw that. I'll wait to get this after all. A long time.

Lol I have a 980 Ti and according to that chart up there I wouldn't even be able to get it to run at 60 FPS at 1440p. Screw that. I'll wait to get this after all. A long time.

Ha ha read the Reddit thread. There are some settings you can adjust and get a much better frame rate.

Ha ha read the Reddit thread. There are some settings you can adjust and get a much better frame rate.

By "adjust" you mean "lower or turn off", I suppose. You can make any crappy port run fine if you turn off enough crap. That's not what I should have to do. I'm going to wait until I can get the same smooth and cinematic experience from this that I did from Dishonored. I shouldn't have to compromise on this one. My GPU is older at this point but a 980 Ti should be more than competent for 60 freaking FPS at 1440p. To me this game is just a clear sign that they didn't test their game in enough setups. They probably have just the one demo and that's it. Anyone who is close to that will run it like gold. Anyone who does not have that setup or something close to it will just run it like crap. And screw all that noise.

I posted this yesterday, but I'll post it again here. This game is going for only $37.19 at www.cdkeys.com. This includes the "Assassins Pack" DLC as well. If you've never ordered from them before, and Like their page on FB you get an additional 5% off. I've used them before and they are awesome. Rapid turnaround, and you get your Steam keys in your inbox pretty much instantly.

GLHF!

Silver
(Former MS Employee and avid gamer)

I'm almost positive the performance will improve very soon. The XBOne and PS4 versions require a 9GB patch day one. They're definitely working on it. I'm guessing since they set a hard release date, that it didn't release perfectly smoothly. These guys aren't stupid. All of their previous games have run flawlessly, so there's no reason to expect they won't get this one working that way as well. Give em a few days.

Also, on the Steam review thing. It's probably the same thing it always is. A bunch of idiots trying to play it on systems that they should know aren't going to play it maxed out. There's a reason games have settings and sliders on PCs. People always think they should be able to just turn everything all the way up, and start playing. Then they try to justify it by saying things like "Those graphics shouldn't tax my hardware like that." IMO this game looks really good. Better than a lot of others out there right now with a few exceptions of course. I'm sure they'll improve the performance, but I also think people will say anything to avoid admitting that it might be time for an upgrade.

Now I think I have to buy it just so I can decide for myself on this. My system is pretty mid-range: 4690K, 16GB, GTX1070, all SSD. I bet it runs this game just fine though. I'll probably need to bump a setting this way or that, but I've never been one to just turn everything all the way up for no reason either. Some settings yield little to no visual improvement compared to how much they tax a GPU.

Edit: Just bought it :p Couldn't really pass up $37. My guess is that I'll be running it just fine. Probably have to drop AO one notch, maybe play with a couple other settings in a very minor way, but I bet it works great. We'll see. Either way, I'll drop a little update here when I get a chance to try it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I was reading if you have less than a GTX 1070 you will have massive frame rate issues. You can set everything to Low and still have frame rate issues on those cards. :)

Come on! You know you want it! Give in to the curiosity. :p You're smarter than all those Steam morons. :D

On the other hand, I bet they release a patch within the first day or three.

Come on! You know you want it! Give in to the curiosity. :p You're smarter than all those Steam morons. :D

On the other hand, I bet they release a patch within the first day or three.

Isn't today technically day zero? Preorder peeps get first crack and tomorrow, the 11th, was "official street date?"

Wouldn't halfway surprise me to see a "day one" patch tomorrow.

Arkane is a hell of a good studio. These issues will be short lived. I certainly expect a public acknowledgement of said issues in the near future at minimum.

Back