Disgusting Computer Award

HardOCP News

[H] News
And the award for the most disgusting computer of the week goes to this guy. I wouldn’t recommend viewing these picture if you just ate. You’ve been warned. Blame Izzy R. for this one.

Looks like a computer an exgf of mine had. Sure you can take it outside and hit it with the air compressor, but it will forever smell like an ashtray. (Along with all the books on your bookcase, your chair, your desk...)

Looks like something out of Bioshock. Guy did a pretty good job cleaning it up but if he's doing this for a pack of smokes, it's already going to smell like an ashtray.

You should work at one of the RJR plants where cigarettes are made. You talk about nasty, the smell leaves with you everyday. Only way to get off your cloths is to burn them.

Warning, the site is not 56k modem friendly lol

Somebody buy the man a copy of Photoshop to cut down the image size.

Looks to be a mixture of mold, dust, tar and moisture. I'm willing to bet that computer was in a room in a leaky basement.

That model case is a dustsucker anyway. Cat hair and dust with a little(alot) of tar and nicotine glue. If it wasn't for the smoke it'd blow out easy. The smoke makes it near impossible to clean.

That model case is a dustsucker anyway. Cat hair and dust with a little(alot) of tar and nicotine glue. If it wasn't for the smoke it'd blow out easy. The smoke makes it near impossible to clean.

I have an Antec Nine Hundred and I don't have a problem with dust and cat hairs - I have 2 cats.

Keep your house clean and floors vacuumed and you won't run into problems like this. I also don't smoke either. Quit 6 years ago after 13 years of it. Never again!

Not nearly as bad as some I have come across...

I usually get a serious migraine if I have to work on a computer in this condition. Just the foul odor of smoke hurts my head.

I have even turned down working on a few computers because of the condition they were in.
This computer has nothing on the ones I've turned down before - Try cat piss.

I've seen worse machines myself. One of which was an old Macintosh that was filled with fried roach parts and some live roaches. Yeah he took the compressed air to it and didn't think about it before hand. The end result was flying live and dead roaches all over the tech shop. This was along with roach feces, nicotine deposits, dust bunnies the size of golf balls, and crap we couldn't identify.

I've also found earwax in an Epson printer before. (Just a little side note.)

Not nearly as bad as some I have come across...

I usually get a serious migraine if I have to work on a computer in this condition. Just the foul odor of smoke hurts my head.

I have even turned down working on a few computers because of the condition they were in.
This computer has nothing on the ones I've turned down before - Try cat piss.

I've been there and done that. It was Macintosh G4 tower. It was COVERED in cat piss. It had run marks down the sides of it.

I've been there and done that. It was Macintosh G4 tower. It was COVERED in cat piss. It had run marks down the sides of it.

an employee asked me to fix his netbook once and I told him to bring it into work the next day. The laptop bag stank up the whole office. It smelled like he used the bag as a cat box for his cats. I told him to take the bag out of the office, then 30 minutes later the building guard told him to get the bag out of the building, it was stinking up the lobby. He ended up throwing it in a dumpster.

Talk about gross.

Before working on his netbook, I took it into the bathroom and sprayed Formula 409 all over it and scrubbed it down wearing gloves and let it dry all day. I told him next time I'm just not going to fix his computer if he ever gave me a computer like that again.

Anybody else remember Apple's policy about computers in this condition? Something about not working on them because they were hazardous to the health of the tech? Or was it just an extra charge?

that seems pretty average for a smokers pc

used to bill smokers double back when i did the repair shop stuff lol

Waiting for the crazies to come in and bitch about how they've had repair shops turn away stuff like this.

Laws for hazardous materials have got to cover this kind of thing. Surely.

Waiting for the crazies to come in and bitch about how they've had repair shops turn away stuff like this.

Laws for hazardous materials have got to cover this kind of thing. Surely.

never turned them away just billed them twice as much lol

seen worse....
actually my mother's computer looked about like that after her smoking and having cats and dogs....

stripped the case, stripped the mobo of every removable chip...

ran it through the dishwasher i shit you not....

let it dry for 8 hours.... powered it up, wouldn't post...

unplugged the PSU from the board, hit the board with a blowdryer and let it sit 24 hours....
plugged it back in..... been running fine for 6 months (mom quit smoking last april)

Anybody else remember Apple's policy about computers in this condition? Something about not working on them because they were hazardous to the health of the tech? Or was it just an extra charge?

I don't know about that but I do know that some service shops would refuse to accept the machines for work if they could tell in advance. We also told customers to pick up their machines when we'd open them and find them in that kind of shape. We'd quarantine them by wrapping them in plastic, then make them pick them up.

Some people don't deserve the right to use a computer, even if they paid for it themselves!

I've seen many a case like that. SMOKING does it, you can tell by the dirt brown coloring. The tar sticks to the parts & then the dust sticks to the tar & then more tar sticks to the dust....etc. I've had a few where it was so bad that it actually stopped the CPU fan solid.

Holy Smokes! :D

Yeah they all came to pick up their machines with that horrible look of embarrassment when after telling them over the phone that they needed to pick up the Bio-hazard they called a computer.

The conversations usually went something like this:

Me: "I'm sorry ma'am/sir, your computer is too disgusting to work on and has been deemed a health hazard by management. When our technician opened the machine, he found it was filled with roaches, insect parts, insect feces, a dead mouse, and mouse urine. You'll have to come pick it up."

Them: "Well I knew about the cat urine on the outside of the machine, but I didn't think it was a problem. It didn't get inside the machine."

Me: "Oh so that's what that was. At any rate, its the fried mouse stuck to your sound card that probably killed it."

Them: "Well can't you just clean the machine out and fix it? I'll pay extra."

Me: "Our policy on the matter is clear. We do not work on machines in this condition."

Them: "Well how am I supposed to get the machine fixed? Where else can I take it."

Me: "Perhaps another store or technical service shop with more lax standards, who aren't as concerned about their health would be able to assist you."

Them: "Un$#^#$%*& believable." -Click.

GOD DAMN I'M EATING. I JUST WALKED AWAY FROM GORE BEING POST TO FIND THIS. THANKS..

that's prety bad but not nearly the worst I've seen. When we get a really nasty computer at the shop we take photos so we can show the owner why he needs to have it cleaned out more often, once I get home I'll post a few up.

I've seen worse than this and ran into a army of bugs once. Cleaning with 99% isopropyl alcohol works pretty good on smoking goo, if it doesn't discolor the surface in the process.

well, that was unpleasant.

blew out the case yesterday, think i'll do it again right now just to be safe.

Amazing that people can see shit like that and still smoke!

It is hard to believe how some people live (roaches, cat urine, etc.).

+1 not bad seen worse. Roaches make a much nastier mess

QFT

I've luckily never come across a PC that was Smoke+Roaches though.

Its even better when those little fuckers are still alive though and you have to setup a killzone around the PC to keep em from spreading to your house.

I don't know what's worse, working on PCs like that one or working on laptops. For whatever reason, every laptop that I've worked on looks like people use them as plates, cat beds, and ejaculatory backstops. Takes me about an hour and a half usually to just clean them so I'll actually sit there and use it. People are so fucking disgusting.

I look at them when I hand back their laptop and can't help to think what their houses look like.

I see worse then that on a daily basis:p
Here is a few from a Sony Viao that was in a house full of great danes and three smokers.
Hope their not too big.
CAD4466HK
[/URL][/IMG]

Okay, I smoke around my computer all the time.

Mine has never looked like this, thats just lazy. If you clean it once in a while, and go spend $20 on removable filters, you'll never have a problem anyway!

Meh, some of the old school computers I use to teach lessons on hardware, assembly, and overclocking looked much worse than that. Of course this was mostly due to teenagers jamming things, some perishable, into the floppy or CD drives.

I don't know what's worse, working on PCs like that one or working on laptops. For whatever reason, every laptop that I've worked on looks like people use them as plates, cat beds, and ejaculatory backstops. Takes me about an hour and a half usually to just clean them so I'll actually sit there and use it. People are so fucking disgusting.

I look at them when I hand back their laptop and can't help to think what their houses look like.

Hey, I cleaned most of the semen off my laptop before I took it in for service. Because I'm a gentleman.

Back