DiRT and Starforce

CodeX

2[H]4U
Look at the nice present that the DiRT demo left for me... I keep a close eye on my system and I guarantee it was not here before I installed the demo, should have known...

starforcesu1.jpg

I thought it was common knowledge that some demos also had protection on them now a days..

Makes it slightly more difficult to use the demo's .exe as the basis for cracking the retail game's .exe....

SF has gone too far in the past, and show no intentions of fixing or even accepting the fact that there is/was a problem.. As such, any dev/pubs that support them, by buying their product, lose me as a customer.. Luckily it is not a game on my must have list..

When will devs learn? There's a lot of people who will simply not buy their games if Starforce is used, the smart ones have already moved on, I guess the learning curve is a steep one here.

Uninstalled the demo because of this and have no plans to buy the game, interestingly enough the chances of me pirating the game have actually gone up, and there's nothing Starforce will do to stop anyone cracking it. :rolleyes:

Oh WTF. Where's that starforce removal tool again?

EDIT: Hmmm, are you sure the demo has starforce? I didn't find it on my PC.

Well, screw this game then. I see no reason as to why devs are willing to use SF with their games considering it does not stop piracy. I'll probably be reformatting now unless there is a removal tool.

Eagle156: Go to the Dirt's directory and look at the two "protect" files.

God damn it!
I hate this Starforce shit. I really want to get this game but not if it puts SF on my computer.
Anyone know if there is a way to remove SF after its installed without removing the game?

Well, screw this game then. I see no reason as to why devs are willing to use SF with their games considering it does not stop piracy. I'll probably be reformatting now unless there is a removal tool.

Eagle156: Go to the Dirt's directory and look at the two "protect" files.

I uninstalled the demo already, so I hope that starforce actually uninstalls when you uninstall a starfucked game unlike the previous versions.

You can check, go into regedit and go to the key shown in my screenshot and look for the service. Or go into administrative tools, services, and look for it there

God damn it!
I hate this Starforce shit. I really want to get this game but not if it puts SF on my computer.
Anyone know if there is a way to remove SF after its installed without removing the game?

yeah. dl a hacked version.

starforce INCREASES piracy imho

You can check, go into regedit and go to the key shown in my screenshot and look for the service. Or go into administrative tools, services, and look for it there

So does it uninstall itself after DiRT is removed? I unstalled the demo before I heard about Starforce, and I find none of these traces left, and the removal tool finds nothing as well.

So does it uninstall itself after DiRT is removed? I unstalled the demo before I heard about Starforce, and I find none of these traces left, and the removal tool finds nothing as well.

If you have used the removal tool and searched in the areas that are known to harbor Starforce stuff, AND you have not found anything. Then my guess would be that you are now Starforce-free.

If you are still worried. Format and reinstall windows.

I installed the Dirt demo and have no StarForce on my system according to all known checking methods. This is a rumor gone too far.

I hope Quake wars or Crysis don't have Starforce. :(

Could N0D32 or any other anti-virus software remove starforce?

I installed the Dirt demo and have no StarForce on my system according to all known checking methods. This is a rumor gone too far.

You obviously don't know what you are looking for then. The files are right there in the main directory, protect.dll and protect.exe, also the last Colin Mcrae game used starforce, also I showed you screenshots of the service installed on my machine because of it... I don't know what more you want...

4th post down: http://fileforums.com/archive/index.php/t-63115.html

Perhaps its not being detected because it is the newest verson...

I'm sorry but what is so bad about SF that everyone hates it so much? The only game that I know has SF is SC-CT and that works fine. Little confoozled here. :confused:

It does use starforce, those claiming it doesn't are wrong, there's plenty of proof posted about this.

The demo however does uninstall Starforce when you uninstall the game, unlike previous versions.

I love how this Starforce scare has taken on a life of it's own.

I assume by the words chosen that you're implying that any fear is unfounded? There plenty of documentation about how starforce can be abused to grand ring 0 access to any code that doesn't already have it, and how it creates instability, performance issues and in the worst case scenario people have had to flash CD/DVD drives and even replace broken kit because of it.

This is all well documented on the web, and why Starforce has a bad name.

Read the wikipedia link I posted...

As for games that have SF (NOT up to date):

7 Sins
Age of Pirates : Caribbean Tales
Air Conflicts
American Conquest: Divided Nation
Ankh
Anstoss 4
ArmA: Armed Assault (not in UK)
Bandits: Phoenix Rising
Bet on Soldier
Beyond Divinity (English versions now SF-Free with patch v1.49, but does NOT apply to Australian or other language versions)
Black Mirror
Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII
Blitzkrieg 2
Blitzkrieg: Rolling Thunder
Breed
Brian Lara International Cricket 2005
Broken Sword 3: The Sleeping Dragon
Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Castle Strike
Chaos League
Chaos League: Sudden Death
City Life
Codename: Outbreak
Cold War
Colin McRae Rally 2005
Cossacks II: Napoleonic Wars
Crazy Frog Racer
Cross Racing Championship 2005
Curious George
Curse: The Eye of Isis
Cycling Manager 3
Cycling Manager 4
D-Day
Dead to Rights
Demonic Speedway
Desert Rats vs Afrika Korps
D.I.R.T Origin of the Species
Diver Deep Water Adventures (SF v4.70.4.15)
Domination
Dreamfall
Ed, Edd and Eddy - The Mis-Edventures
Emergency Fire Response
Enigma: Rising Tide
Etherlords II
Fire Chief
Fire Department
FlatOut 2
Freedom Force vs The Third Reich
Gangland
Garfield
Gene Troopers
Gooka: The Mystery of Janatris
GT Legends
GTR: FIA GT Racing Game
Hammer & Sickle
Happiness
Heroes of Annihilated Empires
Horse Race Manager
I-Ninja
Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter
Journey to the Centre of the Earth
Keepsake
Kicker Manager 2004
Kill Switch
King Kong
Knights of the Temple 2
Korea: Forgotten Conflict
Kuro No Uta Hime
L.A. Rush
LMA Professional Manager 2005
Lock On: Flaming Cliffs
Mad Tracks
Medieval Lords
Micro Machines V4
Midway Arcade Treasures Deluxe Edition
Miko X Mono
Namco Museum 50th Anniversary
Neuro Hunter
Nibiru
Night Watch
Obscure
Pac Man World 2
Pac Man World 3
Pacific Storm
Paradise
Pariah
Pax Romana
Perimeter
Perimeter: Emperor's Testament
Pferdehof - Pferd und Pony
Pippa Funnell Take the Reins
Pop Star Academy
Postal 2: Apocalypse Weekend
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
Pro Cycling Manager Saison 2006
Pro Rugby Manager
Psi-Ops
Pure Pinball
Rally Championship Xtreme
Restricted Area
Revolution
RHEM 2 : La Cité Interdite
Ricky Ponting International Cricket 2005
Rise & Fall: Civilizations at War (NDA Beta Version)
Runaway: A Road Adventure
Rush For Berlin
Scrapland
Second Sight
Silent Hunter 3
Silent Storm
Silkolene Honda Motocross GP
Singles 2 : Triple Trouble
Singles : Flirt Up Your Life
Sniper Elite
Soldiers Heroes of World War 2
Sommerspiele 2004
Space Rangers 2
SpellForce 2
Splinter Cell 3: Chaos Theory
Star Wolves
Steel Saviour
Still Life
Street Racing Syndicate
Sudeki
SuperPower 2
Syberia II
Taito Legends 2
The Fall : Last Days of Gaia
The Moment of Silence
The Stalin Subway
The Suffering: Ties That Bind
The Westerner
TOCA Race Driver 2 : The Ultimate Racing Simulator
TOCA Race Driver 3
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six : Lockdown
Torrente 3
TrackMania
TrackMania : Power Up !
TrackMania Nations
TrackMania Original
TrackMania Sunrise
TrackMania Sunrise eXtreme
Traitors Gate 2: Cypher
Ubersoldier
UFO: Aftershock
Universal Combat: A World Apart
Universal Combat Gold
V8 Supercars 2
V8 Supercars 3
Virtual Skipper 3
Virtual Skipper 4
Vivisector
War on Terror
Wildlife Park
Wildlife Park 2
Wintersport Pro 2006
World Racing 2
World War I
World War II: Frontline Command
Worms 4: Mayhem
XIII
Xpand Rally
Xuan-Yuan Sword 4

To put this debate to rest once and for all:
http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187313&page=3&pp=10

Read the fist post on that page, from an admin on codemasters own forum...

Codemaster Forum Admin said:
...so feel free to vent in here, but this game will have it and that's the end of the discussion. We've not had any signifcantly increased number of problems get reoprted back to our CS department realted to starforce than we have with other Copy-Protection systems we've used in the past."

At this point I'm satisfied that the problems with starforce have been worked out; it's not as though developers want problems with their titles, and I don't want to miss out on a Colin Mcrae title because of something that has never affected me.

I'm not saying that I'm happy that extra shit gets installed on my machine, but again I'm not going to miss one of my most anticipated titles of the year because of it.

That's too bad.. I would not have bought the game anyway, so I can't say they lost my dollar on this one..
However, I will discourage everyone I know from buying it.. Prolly won't cost them more than a handfull of sales.. Prolly meaningless to them, unless I am not the only one doing it...
Find another way to protect your content dev/pubs.. There are other ways just as effective,,

At this point I'm satisfied that the problems with starforce have been worked out; it's not as though developers want problems with their titles, and I don't want to miss out on a Colin Mcrae title because of something that has never affected me

Thats not the point, the point is you are supporting a company that violated your rights by installing software on your computer automatically and secretely, software that has been well documented to reduce optical drive speed and even cause permanent damage. I will never purchase any product that uses starforce just as sure as I will never download Bonzai Buddy to my PC...

Thats not the point, the point is you are supporting a company that violated your rights by installing software on your computer automatically and secretely, software that has been well documented to reduce optical drive speed and even cause permanent damage.

Violated my rights?!?!! Something tells me it would be detailed somewhere in the EULA or allowed in some of their legal speak.

I'd love to see the documentation to back that up with tests using the latest version of Starforce; I'm completely aware that earlier versions of Starforce earned the entire brand a bad name, but again I have to believe that developers wouldn't continue using the software if continued to have the same problems. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to miss one of the most anticipated titles (in my opinion) of 2007 because it's using a copy protection method that has never caused me problems.

EDIT: Just to point out, this isn't malware in the sense that Bonzaibuddy is.

Violated my rights?!?!! Something tells me it would be detailed somewhere in the EULA or allowed in some of their legal speak.

I'd love to see the documentation to back that up with tests using the latest version of Starforce; I'm completely aware that earlier versions of Starforce earned the entire brand a bad name, but again I have to believe that developers wouldn't continue using the software if continued to have the same problems. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to miss one of the most anticipated titles (in my opinion) of 2007 because it's using a copy protection method that has never caused me problems.

I'm going with him on this one.

So you believe you have no right as to what is put on your computer? That any company can secretely install any sort of crippling/damaging/privacy violating software and that you have no right to say anything against it? Thank god not everyone thinks like you...

quadnad]I'd love to see the documentation to back that up with tests using the latest version of Starforce;

what is in the current version doesn't matter, the point is the company has been deceptive in a way that put peoples computers in danger without them even knowing about it. I will not support a company that does something like this, I don't care how long ago it happened.

quadnad said:
I'm sorry, but I'm not going to miss one of the most anticipated titles (in my opinion) of 2007 because it's using a copy protection method that has never caused me problems.

If you want to sell your rights for shiney graphics be my guest.

quadnad said:

You're right, its a lot worse. Starforce allowed ring 0 access to any application, basically bypassing any measure of security in the operating system. This kind of crap from software manufacturers cannot be tolerated.

Basically the people that don't care about it are the people that don't understand it and don't understand why what the company did was bad. I am a software engineer and I understand exactly what starforce (the company) did and I am and have been outraged about it ever since. It is no better than spyware, browser hijackers, and root kits.

So you believe you have no right as to what is put on your computer? That any company can secretely install any sort of crippling/damaging/privacy violating software and that you have no right to say anything against it? Thank god not everyone thinks like you...
wtf is this?
I'm saying that if you agree to the EULA then you've already agreed to it. Why is this talk of rights?

what is in the current version doesn't matter, the point is the company has been deceptive in a way that put peoples computers in danger without them even knowing about it. I will not support a company that does something like this, I don't care how long ago it happened.
Again, the developers don't want to sell software that creates problems, otherwise they have to deal with customers on the phone with tech support.

If you want to sell your rights for shiney graphics be my guest.
don't be so dramatic........

You're right, its a lot worse. Starforce allowed ring 0 access to any application, basically bypassing any measure of security in the operating system. This kind of crap from software manufacturers cannot be tolerated.
I'm still guessing here, but something tells me that within the EULA you've agreed to this shit. If you don't want it, fine, don't buy/install it. I just think that it's gone out of hand, and most of the people grumbling about the protection are people waiting for cracks to be released for the product (I'm not saying you are, but I know for a fact that there are a lot of people that have been for the starforce protected products).

Basically the people that don't care about it are the people that don't understand it and don't understand why what the company did was bad. I am a software engineer and I understand exactly what starforce (the company) did and I am and have been outraged about it ever since. It is no better than spyware and browser hijackers nd root kits.
You've always taken the same kind of "holier than thou" stance every time I've seen a post from you. I understand that you're a software engineer, but that doesn't change the fact that the market controls what these people do.

PS I'm drunk as fuck.

Honestly, who reads the 10,000 word EULA's? I mean, legally they are covered, but they lost the trust and respect of their customers, and if you don't believe me read any thread on any forum about starforce and see what the average person thinks of it. Read the one on codemasters own forum that I linked to

edit: read this too: http://digg.com/gaming_news/Starforce_now_found_out_to_be_a_worm.

Honestly, who reads the 10,000 word EULA's? I mean, legally they are covered, but they lost the trust and respect of their customers, and if you don't believe me read any thread on any forum about starforce and see what the average person thinks of it.

I honestly and fully and completely agree with you, but I'm just saying that if Starforce continued on its same path (as it did in the early days) it wouldn't be around anymore because developers/publishers wouldn't use their copy protection anymore because it would cause more headaches than it is worth.

I don't want anything ever to compromise my system, and I do my best to make sure that whatever I install never does; however, as I said, if this copy protection doesn't do anything on the scale of the previous iterations of starforce, I will install and enjoy this title as I would any other.

I don't like dishonest companies, but I do believe that they will change based on what the market demands of them.

Thanks for the heads-up. No reason for me to buy this game now, I refuse to purchase Starforce products...

I've seen some games that had Starforce in the version release in the UK (or everywhere but the US maybe) but didn't have it in the version released for the US. Hopefully this is the case for Dirt. Cuz...I'm lovin' the demo.

Starforce is bad um-kay. Can see how it protects anything and if any of you think it is ok now you should lay off your mom's breast milk.

And yes goldentiger for the hundredth time demos do contain starforce. uber lameness.

I've had one dvd drive fucked up cuz of it, had to wait 8 months for quicksilver to remove it from x3 before I could actually PLAY the game, and had to use the tool to remove it for making my ROCK SOLID STABLE system wonky, only to have it return to its awsomeness after I ripped it out.

Some people claim they have no problems with it, good for you. Not going on my rigs ever again. The fact they refused to acknowledge there were any problems with it, bad mouthed everyone who criticized it and put forth a bogus contest where you had to fly yourself and your rig to Russia on your own dime to prove it was harmful tells me this is nothing short of the shadiest company in the gaming arena I have ever seen.

I find it entertaining how lots of 'gamer's' lag out of online games for 'unknown' reasons too. Most of it has to do with Malware, but most people reporting problems may not be aware that this protection is even on the system. Put a logo on the box before you sell it and MAYBE I'll consider. But the fact you have to try and hide the fact that its there shows that 'our CS team has shown no significant problems with it' is bogus. I bet a good chunk of people who've had their system flip out on them probably blame windows when its this ninja cancer that's to blame.:rolleyes:

Skipping this game due to Starforce. I feel the same way about the new implementation of Punkbuster, so I'll no longer be buying the BF games either. The newest punkbuster installs (without asking, warning, etc) an always-on service that runs whether or not you're even running the game.

I honestly and fully and completely agree with you, but I'm just saying that if Starforce continued on its same path (as it did in the early days) it wouldn't be around anymore because developers/publishers wouldn't use their copy protection anymore because it would cause more headaches than it is worth.

Well, for awhile Ubisoft was putting Starforce on everything it had - I had a DVD drive get fucked up because of Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. After many many complaints, Ubisoft looked into it, and they never told anyone why (IIRC), but they came forth and said none of their future products (starting with Heroes V) were going to use Starforce ever again.

You've got people like the ones who made Beyond Divinity and X3 release patches to remove the Starforce off their games - I don't see patches for any non Starforce game removing the copy protection.

Basically, Starforce *ISN'T* around anymore - take a look at who is using it, and it's mostly small developers these days. You don't see any of the big companies like EA, Ubisoft, Bioware, Activision, or THQ running Starforce - these days, Starforce was pretty much a non factor in most PC games, I haven't had to worry about it until now.

The main developers who use it are CDV and Codemasters (along with a handful of one shot publishers), and I'm not missing anything if I don't buy games from them - you think they would realize that PC gamers, the ones that can actually run DiRT, know Starforce and don't want a product with it on there. But when sales are low, they won't blame Starforce, they'll blame everything else they can think of.

Back