Diminishing returns

demondrops

Limp Gawd
Is it just me, or a good OC on a graphics card is when u start to hit diminishing returns on where if u added 10+ to core u got an increase but then u add 2 times or 3 times the same and u barely get any increase. That is more or less the limit of it depending on tempratures and increasing voltage beyond it is pointless? I like to know if im wrong on it but i dont think so. So u generally want to hit the point of diminishing returns and that OC will be stable 99% of the time.

You should always get an increase if your clockspeeds are going up on the core and memory.

Whether or not the increased performance is worth the extra power draw and cooling required is up to the individual user and their individual builds.

but it is like, before u cap. u have to increase the core double or triple to get same increase. and even then what u get is not much.

You're not being very specific. I'm guessing you mean you have to increase the core voltage in order to get the same clockspeed increase. Which, yes, is true in some cases as you get to the limit of the card.

but when u increase core voltage u hit mhz and thermal limits. what im thinking is when u start to hit this point, that is your stable oc. i increased voltage on 980ti 1080ti and 2080ti and i never got any more mhz, as i hit thermals and mhz.

Yes, you will hit a limit. As you get further up the curve, the voltage increase for the final few Mhz is usually not worth the extra heat and power draw for the small performance increase.

Think alot of ppl will try to push beyond diminishing returns in belief it will increase performance. But the limit is when u hit diminshing returns that is great OC that is stable no matter what. Like my 2080ti will boost to 1950 but from there i need to apply, 3-4x that to core to get a few mhz. cause it reached the diminishing returns, stable oc.so that is a good thing to reach for, diminishing returns.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Think alot of ppl will try to push beyond diminishing returns in belief it will increase performance. But the limit is when u hit diminshing returns that is great OC that is stable no matter what.

Like I said above, it really depends on each individual user and their setup. Someone with a nice water setup and a large case will probably think differently than someone with a mITX case.

Like I said above, it really depends on each individual user and their setup. Someone with a nice water setup and a large case will probably think differently than someone with a mITX case.
yeah just like my 1080ti fe it would hit 1950 on 100% fan but 2050 at best under a x42 g12 watercooled setup. no voltage or mhz on core would make it better, i could go from 120 on core up to 160 and max voltage, it would not boost more. It would be stable, but diminishing returns was more around 130 on core without voltage.Why i say when u reach diminishing returns on a GFX, that is a good OC.

This discussion is making me realize how lazy I am about GPU overclocking. I just watercool it and let it handle its own clocks stock.

I think the diminishing returns is really kicking in in terms of human perception. Back in the day you could notice a 5fps leap from 30fps to 35fps. But for your GPU overclock today can you notice the leap from 130fps to 135fps?

The benefits are getting either incrementally/exponentially smaller for or just beyond the perception of humans.

The days of flicking a jumper switch on your MB, getting another 33MHz and making Quake go from unplayable to playable are long gone.

my 1080ti would get around 2 fps on water, it would boost 100 mhz more. but even more core mhz wouldnt really increase boost, it was as if it hit a wall of thermals and mhz sort of :p

Back