Did the crazy, out with Titan Xp, in with Vega 64 Liquid...

Someone failed to read the thread, I see. He made the right and good choice, something some people are willing to see. Oh, and who said he sold his card or is selling it?

Seems like this is worse than Facebook around here.

I didn't say anything about selling or keeping his card. More over, how is selling or keeping the card relevant at all? nVidia has his money either way, and he got a lesser card either way. He was upset at GPP and his way of getting back at them was what? Simply not using a card that they already got his money for? If you disagree then please explain how he benefited while nVidia was hurt by this decision.

I didn't say anything about selling or keeping his card. More over, how is selling or keeping the card relevant at all? nVidia has his money either way, and he got a lesser card either way. He was upset at GPP and his way of getting back at them was what? Simply not using a card that they already got his money for? If you disagree then please explain how he benefited while nVidia was hurt by this decision.

Here, I will just let the OP speak for himself:

lol, as much as you tried to take a jab, you missed :) - I still have the Titan Xp... can't let Steam see that and count it for Nvidia for a couple of months :) - AMD gained a top (of its gaming line) card sale it would have never had, and Nvidia didn't get my Titan V order they otherwise would have got.

lol, as much as you tried to take a jab, you missed :) - I still have the Titan Xp... can't let Steam see that and count it for Nvidia for a couple of months :) - AMD gained a top (of its gaming line) card sale it would have never had, and Nvidia didn't get my Titan V order they otherwise would have got.

Heck, I am still trying to get another reference Vega 56 so I can do some mGPU goodness again. However, the prices are still way to high and I have yet to catch a sale myself.

Here, I will just let the OP speak for himself:

Same question applies lol... It doesn't matter if it's you or the OP saying things that are nonsensical. Again, please explain how he benefited while nVidia was hurt by this decision. Sounds like you don't have an answer.

"I was going to get a more powerful nVidia card than I currently have, but decided to get a slower AMD GPU then my current nVidia GPU because of GPP" makes absolutely no sense. If you think it does, you're lying to yourself or just aren't too bright. Take your pick.

Same question applies lol... It doesn't matter if it's you or the OP saying things that are nonsensical. Again, please explain how he benefited while nVidia was hurt by this decision. Sounds like you don't have an answer.

"I was going to get a more powerful nVidia card than I currently have, but decided to get a slower AMD GPU then my current nVidia GPU because of GPP" makes absolutely no sense. If you think it does, you're lying to yourself or just aren't too bright. Take your pick.

I already let the OP speak for himself, the fact that you do not like the answer is on you and you alone. Your problem, not ours, your jab missed and hit you square in the middle of yourself. :D

I already let the OP speak for himself, the fact that you do not like the answer is on you and you alone. Your problem, not ours, your jab missed and hit you square in the middle of yourself. :D

Your reply makes as much sense as the OPs reasons behind the purchase. You did clear up one thing, when I said “you’re lying to yourself or just aren’t too bright”

You’re obviously not lying to yourself.

:D

OP you did this because of the GPP? What if I tell you about AMD's viral marketing program? What are you going to do then?

I'm in the industry (still), and have been since mid 80's - Over the years I've worked closely with many of the brand names, I've been part of bringing products to market with them - I'm a Hardware (product) Engineer, Linux and MCSE with all the +'s, and more, served in sales, technical, and for number of years executive level - I'm pretty well versed in the friends in low places many brands have had over the years... by no means surely am I a where of them all though.

That all out of the way, AMD (like most all the others) is far from perfect too... they're more times than not the underdog, and have trashed talked at times too (of course) - though its fair to say they've paid the price along the way for their missteps (as many others have, and will yet).

Why in any way should Nvidia get a free pass? Or, why should everyone only be on the Green Team just like you?

Nvidia has some solid products (I'm not knocking them, don't get me wrong here, I'm just not a fan of their business move with GPP), however, I have to say beyond all the trash talk and some of the reviews so does AMD (video cards) for market segments such as myself. Nvidia will barely miss my $3,000.00 (on Titan V) I didn't spend with them (I've had every Titan along the way and at that a couple of them each) - In just a few weeks Nvidia and perhaps even AMD will have some sort of refresh coming, Nvidia next to take mine (and many others) cash...

Your reply makes as much sense as the OPs reasons behind the purchase. You did clear up one thing, when I said “you’re lying to yourself or just aren’t too bright”

You’re obviously not lying to yourself.

:D

Keep it light RamonGTP... it's going to be just fine that others have different opinions... Nvidia lost a Titan V sale to someone who in-turn purchased a Vega 64 Liquid - You may feel that makes zero sense, and that's great, however, the fact still stands (albeit a tiny sale to Nvidia) when talking bottom lines, Nvidia's actions took a long time Green Fan Boy down the road to purchase Team Red's over their product this time (I've put my money where my mouth is) - It's not about the fact that the Titan V in CoD WWII will burn higher top-end frames than the Vega 64 Liquid, and to my surprise, the Vega 64 is holding its own to make 165 frames I ask of it (my set of games is very limited of course), and the out of the box experience has been good.

I find this pretty hilarious.

Why be a 'Fan Boy' for anyone?

Why not just be a fan of performance?

Gsync, samples, games (play) favor side, system design, pricing.... of course this all varies depending on the need and system being designed.

AMD (ATI) for a couple gens lost me to Nvidia as far as my main gaming system I personally use - though all gen top model from both companies make it into at least 1 of my other systems (though not Titan V).

I used the term fan boy far too loosely here, you’re correct - though since the 1st Titan launched, its been all Green Team in my main personal gaming rig.

Keep it light RamonGTP... it's going to be just fine that others have different opinions... Nvidia lost a Titan V sale to someone who in-turn purchased a Vega 64 Liquid - You may feel that makes zero sense, and that's great, however, the fact still stands (albeit a tiny sale to Nvidia) when talking bottom lines, Nvidia's actions took a long time Green Fan Boy down the road to purchase Team Red's over their product this time (I've put my money where my mouth is) - It's not about the fact that the Titan V in CoD WWII will burn higher top-end frames than the Vega 64 Liquid, and to my surprise, the Vega 64 is holding its own to make 165 frames I ask of it (my set of games is very limited of course), and the out of the box experience has been good.

I can fully understand buying AMD when you're due for an UPgrade because you're unhappy with nVidia's business practices. But to downgrade your existing card doesn't make any sense and does not accomplish what you set out to accomplish. Your upgrade window has not changed since you haven't actually upgraded. You're still going to need a new card at approximately the same time as you would have had you stuck with the Titan Xp, if not a bit sooner now. You may have helped AMD get an extra sale, but until your actually due for your actual upgrade, nVidia has not lost a sale. AMD may have gained something, but the only entity that actually "lost" anything is yourself, with a slightly deflated bank account and less performance. This isn't even a matter of opinion.

I can fully understand buying AMD when you're due for an UPgrade because you're unhappy with nVidia's business practices. But to downgrade your existing card doesn't make any sense and does not accomplish what you set out to accomplish. Your upgrade window has not changed since you haven't actually upgraded. You're still going to need a new card at approximately the same time as you would have had you stuck with the Titan Xp, if not a bit sooner now. You may have helped AMD get an extra sale, but until your actually due for your actual upgrade, nVidia has not lost a sale. AMD may have gained something, but the only entity that actually "lost" anything is yourself, with a slightly deflated bank account and less performance. This isn't even a matter of opinion.

My question is why do you care so deeply about what someone does with their cash? He has his reasons which you obviously dont agree with and Nvidia has lost future business as well that he otherwise would have provided. GPP was all bad and it will have consequences for Nvidia, not everyone cares nothing for ethics, some of us do care. No company is a angel either but at the same time supporting Nvidia when its trying to lock out your only other choice is only going to do you harm as the consumer, cause once it's gone Nvidia is free to rape you however much they feel like. I wish Matrox was still in the hunt as well but alas were stuck with just Nvidia and AMD and you want at least two horses, we saw what happened when the other horse almost died in the cpu race. Also unless he upgrades to a 4k monitor he wont be needing to upgrade, my 1080 doesn't even bog down at that resolution at max settings on any game I have so far.

The money doesnt seem to be an issue for him and there is no signifigant loss of performance for his use case. So what did he loose?

My question is why do you care so deeply about what someone does with their cash?.

I don't. It's more the mind and train of thought that intrigues me. I find it fascinating that someone could work up in their head that somehow this action puts one over on nVidia.

The money doesnt seem to be an issue for him and there is no signifigant loss of performance for his use case. So what did he loose?

You still lose the money even if you can't afford to lose it
You still lose performance even if it's not much

Like I said above, I'm fascinated with the thought process here. The OP seems to have been very proud of himself for sticking it to nVidia, but the reality is, the only person who comes out on the losing end of this is him. AMD is slightly better off, nVidia is par for the course.

I'm sorry, but you have just shown how you really don't understand anything about color.

All you have shown is a preference for AMD's rendition and dislike Nvidia's.

Anyone who understands color accuracy and knows why monitor calibration is always required will then understand why color professionals use both AMD and Nvidia alike without them spouting ridiculously ignorant statements like yours. Color accuracy requires effort, something you are not prepared to put in.
You might also be confusing opinions here, I'll tell you why;
Of course monitor calibration is critical but you can't calibrate for what is not there. They mention a 980Ti, which FYI does not support 10BPC outside of DX windows, it will never look quite as good outside of games as a Radeon, because you are now comparing 8BPC to 10BPC with all the banding glory that comes with, when all is equal because it is specifically gimped to do so. Only 10 series does 10BPC outside of DX windows along with Quadro.
The other thing you must realize is 95% of us don't have hardware calibrators laying around and must use the cards out of the box. In this scenario, AMD is superior and multiple people using both camps have said this. 10 series vs radeon when calibrated should be identical of course. No one is denying that.

You're talking about 8bpc vs. 10bpc and not talking about source material, then you're off base.

Generally speaking you don't want to be running 10bpc unless your source is either calibrated for it or requires it, and that is neither desktop work nor non-HDR gaming.

Further, if someone prefers AMD's miscalibrated colors, good on them! But that doesn't make their colors 'better' any more than the colors on TVs at Best Buy are 'better'. You don't need a calibrator for please colors- you need one for correct colors.

Like I said above, I'm fascinated with the thought process here. The OP seems to have been very proud of himself for sticking it to nVidia, but the reality is, the only person who comes out on the losing end of this is him. AMD is slightly better off, nVidia is par for the course.

He bought the Titan Xp before the GPP happened. The OP didn't like the GPP and decided to change to AMD. It's simple as that. And because of GPP, Nvidia lost a Titan V sale and future business. And, Since he is in the industry, he probably gets asked for recommendations from family and friends for GPU purchases. Well, I think you can guess who he will be recommending.

All the rest of this post and your other posts are basically you trying to pin your values on him. Cost and Performance weren't a factor in his decision. He didn't change to get better performance, he changed because he didn't like Nvidia's business practices. You can't seem to get that through your head.

Cost and Performance weren't a factor in his decision. He didn't change to get better performance, he changed because he didn't like Nvidia's business practices.

That's the most important takeaway from nEo717's post in sharing their experience. Realistically they just chose to give AMD some of his business by purchasing the best that they have available, and shared that for their needs, the performance is more than adequate, despite being a measurably slower solution.

That's the most important takeaway from nEo717's post in sharing their experience. Realistically they just chose to give AMD some of his business by purchasing the best that they have available, and shared that for their needs, the performance is more than adequate, despite being a measurably slower solution.
Which is excellent news for folks under the impression that which brand of GPU to buy is somehow a moral conundrum, but not really of much import to the rest of us.

I would stop being fascinated and put effort into something more useful. It's a non issue.

I find it funny the OP is all steamed up about GPP to actually do something about it, yet sporting an expensive Intel CPU. Intel have engaged in far more egregious anti-competitive practices against AMD including aggressively dissuading their OEM customers from using AMD in their products. And which they got sued for and ruled against for $1.4 billion. Nvidias GPP pales in comparison for what Intel engaged in.

I find it funny the OP is all steamed up about GPP to actually do something about it, yet sporting an expensive Intel CPU. Intel have engaged in far more egregious anti-competitive practices against AMD including aggressively dissuading their OEM customers from using AMD in their products. And which they got sued for and ruled against for $1.4 billion. Nvidias GPP pales in comparison for what Intel engaged in.

In another lifetime, a long time ago. You seem to be just trying to reach and justify your point of view, if I am understanding you correctly.

Since you have the time and effort to waste (as you say, lol)...

From the (your) bottom, nVidia par for the course, I would not agree, they did lose a $3k sale as result of them pushing the envelope a bit too far for me (look, if I did so, and am willing to admit it here, you can bet a few others did the same) -

AMD slightly better off, I would agree (though its one Vega 64, and one more AMD on Steam, let's not give over credit) -

The only person coming out on the losing end is me, I would not agree, the Titan Xp like the Vega 64 at 2560x1440 lacks (albeit not by much) for what I'm looking for (next gen cards will be sweet spot for me more than likely), I'd also add a win is getting some in-depth time with the Vega 64 and liking its out of the box experience, end result for me is far from a loss -

Proud and sticking it to nVidia, I would not agree, I'm not proud of GPP and hence decided in my own little world to find a way to make a tiny impact (clearly I have, it has you willing to put limitless time and efforts into my choice), on the sticking it to nVidia part, by no means, I'm clearly demostrating my free will and choice, nVidia like AMD is a choice, and their actions can help make a consumer decide which they buy (its not always the fastest, or the one that costs the most).

RamonGTP, I'm not knocking the Green Team here, its a simple choice nVidia has every right to have made, just like Kyle (and any other of the sites) has every right to report, and lastly like I have every right to buy the Red Teams product if I feel the Green Team crossed a line. You guys are about to launch a refresh over there on the Green Team, and the company ended GPP, I'd love to see that Kyle and all the others that reported on GPP get their samples and things move forward between nVidia and manufacturers, review sites, consumers, etc... Of course with every new gen card that comes from each camp, normally I work with them each, and from there at one point 1 of them ends up in my personal gaming system.

Does this help RamonGTP?

In another lifetime, a long time ago. You seem to be just trying to reach and justify your point of view, if I am understanding you correctly.
It's nice to know that there's a statute of limitations on shady business practices. It certainly must help some folks sleep at night, especially if they equate their every purchase with wholesale support of the company's moral foundation. :D

I’m trying to figure out if you’re an over zealous AMD rep or neo’s virtual body guard. Either way youre probably not getting paid for either.

Since you have the time and effort to waste (as you say, lol)...

From the (your) bottom, nVidia par for the course, I would not agree, they did lose a $3k sale as result of them pushing the envelope a bit too far for me (look, if I did so, and am willing to admit it here, you can bet a few others did the same) -

AMD slightly better off, I would agree (though its one Vega 64, and one more AMD on Steam, let's not give over credit) -

The only person coming out on the losing end is me, I would not agree, the Titan Xp like the Vega 64 at 2560x1440 lacks (albeit not by much) for what I'm looking for (next gen cards will be sweet spot for me more than likely), I'd also add a win is getting some in-depth time with the Vega 64 and liking its out of the box experience, end result for me is far from a loss -

Proud and sticking it to nVidia, I would not agree, I'm not proud of GPP and hence decided in my own little world to find a way to make a tiny impact (clearly I have, it has you willing to put limitless time and efforts into my choice), on the sticking it to nVidia part, by no means, I'm clearly demostrating my free will and choice, nVidia like AMD is a choice, and their actions can help make a consumer decide which they buy (its not always the fastest, or the one that costs the most).

RamonGTP, I'm not knocking the Green Team here, its a simple choice nVidia has every right to have made, just like Kyle (and any other of the sites) has every right to report, and lastly like I have every right to buy the Red Teams product if I feel the Green Team crossed a line. You guys are about to launch a refresh over there on the Green Team, and the company ended GPP, I'd love to see that Kyle and all the others that reported on GPP get their samples and things move forward between nVidia and manufacturers, review sites, consumers, etc... Of course with every new gen card that comes from each camp, normally I work with them each, and from there at one point 1 of them ends up in my personal gaming system.

Does this help RamonGTP?

If the impact you were striving for was to get my attention, I suppose mission accomplished. I doubt that’s what you’re trying to do though. I’m not that important.

I don’t care what people buy. I’m not criticizing the action. It’s the execution that fails to accomplish your intended goal.

A Very Different topic really... and Yes (there is background there, you are correct), I've had a close working relationship with AMD in the past, though also have had a close working relationship with Intel at times - While Senior Product Engineer I was part of major generation launch for both companies, first AMD, and then Intel. I understand well some of the things that Intel has done, least not forget that AMD's hands are not 100% clean either. I've stood with AMD in the past though, no worries there. AMD bought NexGen way back in time, my company way back then was a master distributor of NexGen64 RICS processors.

Last edited:
In that "other lifetime" did anyone create as big of stink vs Intel as they did with GPP? Nope. The hypocrisy holds and rings strong as ever.

Last edited:
The OP is free to make his choices. Every major tech company these days is controversial in some way. Three's something that all of them do or have done that somebody doesn't like. If an individual were to make tech buying decisions and choices based on all of the controversies then we all be using abacuses. And there'd be someone complaining about even those.

I didn't like GPP and thought it was a bad idea. Given the current state of the GPU market, anything from either the Red or Green team is going to sellout like hotcakes unless the part truly sucks.

A Very Different topic really... and Yes (there is background there, you are correct), I've had a close working relationship with AMD in the past, though also have had a close working relationship with Intel at times - While Senior Product Engineer I was part of major generation launch for both companies, first AMD, and then Intel. I understand well some of the things that Intel has done, least not forget that AMD's hands are not 100% clean either. I've stood with AMD in the past though, no worries there. AMD bought NextGen way back in time, my company way back then was a master distributor of NexGen64 RICS processors.
Point is, were you as similarly aggrieved by what Intel had done to have taken action against them as you did with Nvidia?

If the impact you were striving for was to get my attention, I suppose mission accomplished. I doubt that’s what you’re trying to do though. I’m not that important.

I don’t care what people buy. I’m not criticizing the action. It’s the execution that fails to accomplish your intended goal.

It's a simple small execution, nothing more... and hey don't sell yourself short as not important. It's not often (anymore) that the top really ever takes pause and cares these days (they saw, and the middle at least took some action) - None of us need (not even the AMD fans) nVidia to get bogged down in the mud over the small things like GPP, we need nVidia to stay focused and keep their foot the on peddle, there's only AMD and nVidia left, that is, until Jan. or so when Intel steps into the ring, and who knows how that's going to go.

Point is, were you as similarly aggrieved by what Intel had done to have taken action against them as you did with Nvidia?

Yes, for a number of years my personal main rig had AMD powering its core - Though the ads bucks and deals with Dell/Hp and others Intel made are what also made AMD stronger. The CPU war while it may look alike it's not.

nVidia carried the ball over the last couple of years, pushed the limits, all while AMD had all it could do to stay close - If Intel would of done the same as nVidia over the past few years AMD would of (in my opinion) had much more ground to cover to catch back up to Intel (referring to Ryzen).

In that "other lifetime" did anyone create as big of stink vs Intel as they did with GPP? Nope. The hypocrisy holds and rings strong as ever.

*Golf claps* Ok, if you say so.......... On the other hand, I find it interesting that you even care about what choice the OP made which has all of nothing to do with Intel. :D :)

You clearly have as much interest in defending and validating OP's decision as RamonGTP has in expressing their befuddlement with it.

He is not befuddled at all, he wants the OP to bend to his own POV but, that much is obvious. Me? I have no issue with the OP doing his thing and have to neither defend nor validate anything he does but hey, team Green and all. :)

Edit: Oh well, I enjoy the choice that the OP made and am slightly jealous that I cannot afford to use all the stuff he gets to use. :D I could not really afford the LC one anyways and even though I am using a Cooler Master Master Case 5, I would have had no place to install the radiator anyways. :)

Sounds to me like the OP is actually enjoying his purchase and not concerned what others would or would not have done, overall anyways. Right now, the only thing that stinks is that I cannot find another Vega 56 Reference at a good price, oh well. ;)

Last edited:
(I) have to neither defend nor validate anything he does
Coulda fooled me. My point being that OP's switch to AMD is as inconsequential to you as it is to anyone else here, so you argue from a pretty weak position when you employ the whole "What's it matter to you?" schtick. You're just as driven to proselytize for the church of the underdog as any of the Team Green fans are to defend Nvidia's crown, or you wouldn't spend the time doing it. To claim you're aloof from the fanboy wars is belied by your post history.

Back