Did the crazy, out with Titan Xp, in with Vega 64 Liquid...

When’s the last time you used an AMD card?

As I said

My last few gaming cards have been:

< 2015 all Nvidia 100% back to 3dfx voodo days.

2015 - GTX 670, AMD 285, AMD 380 (I turned to nvidia for PLP support which Nvidia didn't and still doesn't support - https://hardforum.com/threads/can-someone-clarify-for-me-which-amd-cards-support-plp-gaming.1861756/)

2016 - AMD Fury X

2017 - AMD Vega 56, AMD Vega 64, and then back to Nvidia with a 1080ti

*If you want to count mining card experience - add just about every card from either vendor since RX480 to this list, and 1060 and up for nvidia.

I play 20-30 hours of PC games a week and have since grade school. I’m 38 years old. I’ve hosted and organized at least 50 LAN parties.

I’m telling you AMD GPU drivers are more buggy. There is no question. You know the reason I was 100% Nvidia before the AMD 285? Because of all those LAN parties I hosted where the AMD GPU owners were fighting bugs in their drivers —- to the worst of it in the early days —- actually having older drivers the AMD owners would reinstall to make certain games work and regularly swapping drivers multiple times during the LAN party to play each different game. (UGH!!!!)

I suspect I have more experience with recent cards than most people. Feel free to back up your statement with evidence to your experiences.

If Nvidia drivers are a solid "A" for reference then AMD 285 drivers were mostly good - I'd grade them a "B+". AMD Fury X drivers were Grade "A-" by the time I picked one up in Jan. 2016, and issues I encountered were minimal, but not absent. Vega 56 and 64 drivers were an absolute "D" at launch. (Freesync didn't work, Crossfire didn't work, Eyefinity Bezel Correction didn't work, Chrome Browser didn't work, FPS ranges were terrible -- PUBG for instance I'd get 90FPS, then 8 FPS in the same match. Same thing for Wolfenstein New Order 90FPS - 30FPS range was common in playing through the game) Overclock settings didn't stick in Wattman, Red Screens of Death, my CPU overclock that was stable for many months suddenly became unstable. When I went back to Nvidia, I was able to restore my original CPU overclock with not one issue. The Vega drivers for the first few months after launch were nothing short of junk). I'VE NEVER ENCOUNTERED AN NVIDIA DRIVER EVEN CLOSE TO A SUBJECTIVE "D" RATING in 20 some years of using Nvidia.

Subjectively, I'd say it's a 3:1 ratio for AMD bugs to Nvidia driver bugs AFTER AMD drivers are mature. Before they are mature - it's not even worth owning the AMD card. I imagine Vega is approaching a mature driver by now - and most of the bugs are probably defeated - but certainly not all -- I was over at my friends house last night, looking at his Vega 64 and his new 38" monitor. He loaded up Path of Exile - the textures were blurred in town???, he got 72FPS in town and 150FPS in the game world - even though he set his frame rate target to 72FPS. (Neither issue happens with nvidia), he loaded up Vermintide 2 and his mouse cursor wouldn't disappear off the screen (doesn't happen on nvidia) he loaded up the Freesync windmill demo - Freesync didn't work. He tried to set a game profile in the AMD drivers with a target FPS, and it wouldn't stick when he launched the game - only the global config would stick. We tried to play a half dozen 4K videos on youtube with Edge browser to experience HDR - Edge wouldn't play above 1440K.even if you selected 4K - it would always just pick 1080p or 1440. We couldn't figure it out. We loaded up Firefox and it played the 4K videos just fine as expected - so it must be some Edge incompatibility with Vega drivers preventing 4K playback in Edge. (doesn't happen with Nvidia). Get the idea? These were issues we just discovered in casual use. I can only think of one single issue I have with my 1080TI. When I play Kingdom Rush ( a little casual tower defense game) at 1100FPS - I get blinking on the 1080TI. I've encountered NO other glitches on my 1080TI since last summer.

Your personal experience, although legit for you, does not indicate an across the board issue or issues. Was this a clean install? Did you DDU? Where the 18.4.1 drivers, which I know have bugs but the 18.3.4 works just fine? Is this a many year old installation of Windows 10? Is this the 1803 or 1709 build? And hundreds of other questions that could be asked to eliminate problems.

Lets get realistic here. The OP's monitor "LG 32GK850G-B" according to his signature is a 2560x1440 monitor. This is not a demanding resolution.

If the OP is actually interested in getting 144FPS+ out of it, 1440p is most certainly a demanding resolution. Personal experience with system in signature has a single 1080Ti, running 2,000MHz core, as being inadequate here for many AAA games today. Settings must be reduced, or lower performance must be accepted.

And here, the OP went with something that would realize even lower performance- magnifying the usefulness of VRR- and at the same time lost VRR!

Wild.

Again, he clearly does not care and why would he let you comment or make this choice for him given your post history and handle.

Reactions: otg
like this
People shitting on OP's thread. Good for you OP. Hope you're enjoying it.

But, you should get a Freesync monitor. I'm very happy with mine, even though it only goes to 75hz, its very smooth & finally no screen tearing.

But, you should get a Freesync monitor. I'm very happy with mine, even though it only goes to 75hz, its very smooth & finally no screen tearing.

If you don’t want differing opinions throw the thread in the Vega owners thread, at least in the AMD section.

Usual suspects throwing a fit over a personal choice, as for the driver argument it's getting old, both companies have released duds for Drivers from time to time. Enjoy your new card nEo717.

Usual suspects coming to the defense of poor AMD and their oppressed userbase :ROFLMAO:

Well, the OP's position as presented is along the lines 'I downgraded and it was awesome!', which is quite silly on the face, and inexplicable upon inspection, partly because:

But, you should get a Freesync monitor.

The OP could and should grab a FreeSync monitor, which is going to incur an additional cost due to lost value of their current setup.

The overall reason I responded is due to the potential for the OP's position to be misread as 'there's no difference between Vega and Titan Xp'. That's not what the OP said of course, but the discourse following largely serves to explore why the OP's (perfectly fine) decision wouldn't really be good advice for basically anyone else.

take a few days off and learn to play nice
Usual suspects coming to the defense of poor AMD and their oppressed userbase :ROFLMAO:

The overall reason I responded is due to the potential for the OP's position to be misread as 'there's no difference between Vega and Titan Xp'. That's not what the OP said of course, but the discourse following largely serves to explore why the OP's (perfectly fine) decision wouldn't really be good advice for basically anyone else.

Usual suspects indeed. :ROFLMAO:

Who fuckin cares? OP made a thread about a new piece of hardware he got and wanted to share. All you newfags said he made the wrong choice, like your opinions really matter.

Bingo. Like anyone, the OP is free to make his choices and I don't see that being the issue. I get not liking nVidia but there's no way in hell I'm going to rip out my 1080 Tis for Vega 64s. At that point it's too late, nVidia got my money already and the only thing that suffers at that point is my gaming performance.

The true test of this comes with new gen parts. If that situation is similar to the last two years, there's just no way in hell I'd consider a part that always looses in gaming performance at the same price point without some extenuating circumstances. And I'll be far from alone.

Usual suspects indeed. :ROFLMAO:

Who fuckin cares? OP made a thread about a new piece of hardware he got and wanted to share. All you newfags said he made the wrong choice, like your opinions really matter.

And that’s why you had to throw in your worthless opinion too?

Opinions are like assholes . Everyone has one. Except only the assholes are showing up here.:D

Reactions: otg
like this
Your personal experience, although legit for you, does not indicate an across the board issue or issues. Was this a clean install? Did you DDU? Where the 18.4.1 drivers, which I know have bugs but the 18.3.4 works just fine? Is this a many year old installation of Windows 10? Is this the 1803 or 1709 build? And hundreds of other questions that could be asked to eliminate problems.

lol

all of my driver issues were confirmed by other Vega owners at launch. These were not system specific issues. The joke of it was - that others would have these unacceptable issues, but keep their mouth closed. Myself included for the most part - because we didn't want to let the nvidia fan boys be right. SURELY they'd get that fixed in the next driver release right? After three months - I gave up in disgust. YES, I reformat my system and reinstall from scratch every time I change video cards from one team to the other. I typically reformat multiple times per year. I reinstalled my OS multiple times trying to sort out the Vega issues. I tried many different drivers version, beta, alpha, regular release, WHQL, whatever I could find. I tried DDU I tried the AMD first party driver clean up utility. I obsess about my hardware more than any other person I know -- and I'm in IT, so that's not a limited pool.

Besides that experience I had, I gave you four examples of Vega driver issues from my friends system just last night with less a month old Windows 10 install, and current Vega drivers that you can likely replicate on your very own Windows 10 system with Vega 64 - right now. Try it. Report back.

1) Path of Exile - the textures were blur in town???, and frame rate target only works in town or in the PVE area - but not both. Free Game - download it and check -

2)Vermintide 2 mouse cursor won't disappear off the screen

3) AMD's Freesync windmill demo - Freesync doesn't work.
https://community.amd.com/external-link.jspa?url=https://1drv.ms/u/s!Asca4fpyZLwfjnbGGfKlHH74Dj8U

4) Edge browser won't Play 4K videos in 4k on youtube. (firefox will)

and I'll add a 5) one from last week that he found when I asked him to play Carmageddon with me.
Try Carmageddon Max Damage or Carmageddon Incarnation. Menus work fine, game won't launch it crashes to desktop.

Bear in mind my friend is still trying to support AMD - so those are issues I noticed in trying a few games at his house - NOT things he pointed out to me as flaws. WE just spun up a few games to test his new 38" freesync monitor and it was problems galore. NO THANKS MAN.

------------

You know what I liked about the Fury X card - and why I posted so positively for AMD for a while, based on my good experience with AMD 285, and Fury X? That it was actually a great card, that I had very few problems with the mature drivers in 2016, and that the "nvidiots" who constantly badmouthed Fury X didn't have their information right - They didn't own them and said they were terrible. I did own it and knew it was good. Crossfire was great, Eyefinity was great, drivers were very good. When I picked up Vega card at launch I expected the same --- it was everything (on my same system/with my same games) that people had long claimed was bad about AMD all in one hot mess.

I'll call a spade a spade. AMD Vega drivers have not been good.

Ironic thing is --- when I was supporting AMD a couple years back in most of the posts (Fury X ownership days) and when I now tout that Nvidia's got so much polish on EVERYTHING to make AMD not worth owning at this point in time, it's two different groups that consistently liked my posts. The hardcore supporters on either side. :) People like it when you support their preference -- then when you've changed your opinion - suddenly you must be doing it wrong. You were one of the AMD fellows who used to like my posts when I pushed back on the nvidia guys. lol
pshh whatever. I'm not brand loyal - I just want my games to work when I sit down to play them. If AMD did that - then I'd own two Vega cards right now and my three 32" Omen Freesync Monitors. I was already in their pocket after the 285 and Fury X, and three Freesync monitors in Eyefinity. The only thing they had to do was release a functional driver in the first three months of me buying my three Vega launch cards. Three months man. Three months. And judging by my experience at my friends house last night with his Vega 64 that I just detailed above - - perhaps that frustration point with drivers is closing in on a year! embarrassing...

Last edited:
And I can respect that. Except he'd already bought the Xp. And resold it. That's not a message that nVidia heard.

True, but to be fair he may have bought it before GPP, and he may stay with AMD for the next go around.

I did too. I went out and bought a RX 580 to replace my 980, of course the Village Idiot (Idiotincharge) lambasted me about that too. Seems to be a thing with him.

I would have done the same thing. The 8GB of RAM alone would be a worth upgrade if you were 1440p. I had a 580 4GB and I was getting similar performance to my 390x in BF1 at 1440p but ran out of Video Memory, so I went back to the 390x. 580 is a nice card.

I would have done the same thing. The 8GB of RAM alone would be a worth upgrade if you were 1440p. I had a 580 4GB and I was getting similar performance to my 390x in BF1 at 1440p but ran out of Video Memory, so I went back to the 390x. 580 is a nice card.

I got lucky, I found one on a local yardseller site for $250, Guy owned a business and only used it to write Linux drivers, said he put about 15 hours on it, looked and smelled brand new when I bought it. I also bought one of those 32 inch 1440p Omen Refurbs that were on sale. Its nice not having to deal with screen tearing or input lag anymore.

Well, before this thread gets closed because of the NDF and bashing from them, I will say that I think he made an excellent choice, the OP, that is. The fact is, he is sharing his experiences straight up and why he did so as well and I appreciate that. If someone wants to go the other way and they share their own experiences as too why, I am cool with that as well. GPP was anti competitive, that made Nvidia Anti competitive and the OP made a personal choice based upon that. Also, he never said what he sold the Xp for and he could of ended up with a profit.

Archaea, I do not and have not experienced those things you mentioned but then again, I also know there are issues with the 18.4.1 drivers and do not use them, why would your friend continue to use something that has known issues? :hungover::unsure::wtf: This thread is an excellent example of what happens when a person makes a personal and good choice but hey, why should that driver have gotten a Mustang GT when he already owned and sold his Camaro, right? :smuggrin:

And I can respect that. Except he'd already bought the Xp. And resold it. That's not a message that nVidia heard.

I still have the Titan Xp... can't let Steam see that and count it for Nvidia for a couple of months :) - AMD gained a top (of its gaming line) card sale it would of never had, and Nvidia didn't get my Titan V order they otherwise would of got.

As to comment of future games and how wonderful the Titan Xp will do vs. Vega 64 Liquid, I'll be so far moved on from either of these cards by that point - With the nature of what I do, the next top card will be in this system. Someone talked a bit about BF 1, I'll log some time in Alpha or CTE and share how much if any of a difference it feels to me (someone nailed it in that I only need to hit frame caps of 165 and hold it).

Drivers, I'm using 18.4.1 now, played WW II with zero issues last night - also tried upping the voltage as someone posted (thank you by the way!) with no problems. So far I'm not experiencing problems nor is my world isn't falling apart since as Nvidia Fan Boy I pulled my Titan Xp and replaced it with Vega 64, lol... (nor am I bashing the Titan Xp by any means). Driver problems really goes both ways, my titan Xp loved to crash on 1 of the DLC 1 maps COD WWII which Vega 64 pushes right through.

However I'm certain there are games where Titan Xp has no real drivers issues where Vega 64 may crash, that really is the nature of the beast. An interesting stat would be to see how many Nvidia crashes vs how many games AMD crashes - Again, that's a very personal thing as long as the games you play aren't a problem for the brand you have, it will go unnoticed.

Last edited:
Well, before this thread gets closed because of the NDF and bashing from them, I will say that I think he made an excellent choice, the OP, that is. The fact is, he is sharing his experiences straight up and why he did so as well and I appreciate that. If someone wants to go the other way and they share their own experiences as too why, I am cool with that as well. GPP was anti competitive, that made Nvidia Anti competitive and the OP made a personal choice based upon that. Also, he never said what he sold the Xp for and he could of ended up with a profit.

Archaea, I do not and have not experienced those things you mentioned but then again, I also know there are issues with the 18.4.1 drivers and do not use them, why would your friend continue to use something that has known issues? :hungover::unsure::wtf: This thread is an excellent example of what happens when a person makes a personal and good choice but hey, why should that driver have gotten a Mustang GT when he already owned and sold his Camaro, right? :smuggrin:

O.P.'s decision to get the graphics card of his choice based on his own ethical preference is totally fine - but just like the poster above - his original post definitely read as if the AMD Vega 64 gave up nothing to the Titan Xp.

I wouldn't have even commented in here if that part of the post wouldn't have come across like that. Let's call a spade a spade. As far as my friends driver version. He is actually juggling drivers right now. (just like those old LAN days). He uses a different driver to play Vermintide 2 than the other titles he is playing right now. I don't know anything about 18.4 vs. whatever other driver. I've not kept up with the AMD card drivers since I sold my Vegas and RX580s that I mined with. I just know when I was using my launch Vega's Freesync worked and was broken about 3-4 times in the first three months through various driver update. And the Chrome video 1 second pause issue was on Vega at launch, then fixed, then subsequently broke again in a future driver update.

All those issues were unacceptable to me, and should be unacceptable to anyone!!!

4229743.jpg

O.P.'s decision to get the graphics card of his choice based on his own ethical preference is totally fine - but just like the poster above - his original post definitely read as if the AMD Vega 64 gave up nothing to the Titan Xp.

I wouldn't have even commented in here if that part of the post wouldn't have come across like that. Let's call a spade a spade. As far as my friends driver version. He is actually juggling drivers right now. (just like those old LAN days). He uses a different driver to play Vermintide 2 than the other titles he is playing right now. I don't know anything about 18.4 vs. whatever other driver. I've not kept up with the AMD card drivers since I sold my Vegas and RX580s that I mined with. I just know when I was using my launch Vega's Freesync worked and was broken about 3-4 times in the first three months through various driver update. And the Chrome video 1 second pause issue was on Vega at launch, then fixed, then subsequently broke again in a future driver update.

All those issues were unacceptable to me, and should be unacceptable to anyone!!!

View attachment 73278

Except not everyone experienced those issues and I can imagine those issues were in the minority. That said, I have no issues with you moving on, since you did have those issues yourself. However, ya'll did not come into this thread to "set the record straight" and that is the facts. :D Oh, and he clearly did give up something, bland colors and supporting an anti competitive company.

ManofGod
So.......you gonna try any of my 5 challenges I observed happenstance on current Vega drivers in a 1.5 hour demo last night? Tell me if you see them or not. Determine if you’re in the minority too. ;)

BTW- You keep saying minority - it’s not that the minority of Vega hardware had those problems I had at launch — they were 100% shared by all Vega users. Crossfire didn’t work at launch for anyone, freesync intermittently worked at launch for everyone, and didn’t work on a second or third monitor for anyone. (Eyefinity). Bezel correction didn’t work for anyone (Eyfinity). Chrome browser issues affected all chrome users with default hardware acceleration enabled. Etc. These issues might not have been noticed by all people (maybe they didn’t have a freesync monitor or triple monitors, maybe they played at 1080p, maybe we didn’t play the same games or use chrome as their browser) but the “minority” label doesn’t really fit the bill. Those issues were documented and repeatable at will.

If the Telsa autopilot programmatically ran through every 10th stop sign encountered on a leg of their commute, that’d be a minority too. You’d have users saying it doesn’t affect me — you’re in the minority. But the reality is —- it isn’t good.

Last edited:
An interesting stat would be to see how many Nvidia crashes vs how many games AMD crashes

It'd be interesting if you could keep all of the variables straight :)

[we can't, which is why we have anecdotal perspectives; the only companies that are in a position to actually gather the necessary data are AMD and Nvidia themselves, and sharing their failure rates is not in their best interest :D ]

When’s the last time you used an AMD card?

As I said

My last few gaming cards have been:

< 2015 all Nvidia 100% back to 3dfx voodo days.

2015 - GTX 670, AMD 285, AMD 380 (I turned to nvidia for PLP support which Nvidia didn't and still doesn't support - https://hardforum.com/threads/can-someone-clarify-for-me-which-amd-cards-support-plp-gaming.1861756/)

2016 - AMD Fury X

2017 - AMD Vega 56, AMD Vega 64, and then back to Nvidia with a 1080ti

*If you want to count mining card experience - add just about every card from either vendor since RX480 to this list, and 1060 and up for nvidia.

I play 20-30 hours of PC games a week and have since grade school. I’m 38 years old. I’ve hosted and organized at least 50 LAN parties.

I’m telling you AMD GPU drivers are more buggy. There is no question. You know the reason I was 100% Nvidia before the AMD 285? Because of all those LAN parties I hosted where the AMD GPU owners were fighting bugs in their drivers —- to the worst of it in the early days —- actually having older drivers the AMD owners would reinstall to make certain games work and regularly swapping drivers multiple times during the LAN party to play each different game. (UGH!!!!)

I suspect I have more experience with recent cards than most people. Feel free to back up your statement with evidence to your experiences.

If Nvidia drivers are a solid "A" for reference then AMD 285 drivers were mostly good - I'd grade them a "B+". AMD Fury X drivers were Grade "A-" by the time I picked one up in Jan. 2016, and issues I encountered were minimal, but not absent. Vega 56 and 64 drivers were an absolute "D" at launch. (Freesync didn't work, Crossfire didn't work, Eyefinity Bezel Correction didn't work, Chrome Browser didn't work, FPS ranges were terrible -- PUBG for instance I'd get 90FPS, then 8 FPS in the same match. Same thing for Wolfenstein New Order 90FPS - 30FPS range was common in playing through the game) Overclock settings didn't stick in Wattman, Red Screens of Death, my CPU overclock that was stable for many months suddenly became unstable. When I went back to Nvidia, I was able to restore my original CPU overclock with not one issue. The Vega drivers for the first few months after launch were nothing short of junk). I'VE NEVER ENCOUNTERED AN NVIDIA DRIVER EVEN CLOSE TO A SUBJECTIVE "D" RATING in 20 some years of using Nvidia.

Subjectively, I'd say it's a 3:1 ratio for AMD bugs to Nvidia driver bugs AFTER AMD drivers are mature. Before they are mature - it's not even worth owning the AMD card. I imagine Vega is approaching a mature driver by now - and most of the bugs are probably defeated - but certainly not all -- I was over at my friends house last night, looking at his Vega 64 and his new 38" monitor. He loaded up Path of Exile - the textures were blurred in town???, he got 72FPS in town and 150FPS in the game world - even though he set his frame rate target to 72FPS. (Neither issue happens with nvidia), he loaded up Vermintide 2 and his mouse cursor wouldn't disappear off the screen (doesn't happen on nvidia) he loaded up the Freesync windmill demo - Freesync didn't work. He tried to set a game profile in the AMD drivers with a target FPS, and it wouldn't stick when he launched the game - only the global config would stick. We tried to play a half dozen 4K videos on youtube with Edge browser to experience HDR - Edge wouldn't play above 1440K.even if you selected 4K - it would always just pick 1080p or 1440. We couldn't figure it out. We loaded up Firefox and it played the 4K videos just fine as expected - so it must be some Edge incompatibility with Vega drivers preventing 4K playback in Edge. (doesn't happen with Nvidia). Get the idea? These were issues we just discovered in casual use. I can only think of one single issue I have with my 1080TI. When I play Kingdom Rush ( a little casual tower defense game) at 1100FPS - I get blinking on the 1080TI. I've encountered NO other glitches on my 1080TI since last summer.
390x and 580 8gb.
Issues were more or less equal minus performance And energy

I'll call a spade a spade. AMD Vega drivers have not been good.

This subject gets can get very complicate very fast. I drive 4k, 3D 1080p Surround and VR with SLI from my sig rig. Indeed one of this reasons why I stick with nVidia is because I do still watch 3D movies. nVidia did have a problem with 4k full screen with the Windows 10 Netflix app this rig until the release of the latest drivers.

There's just so many things Windows 10 does across so much hardware that it's impossible for a single person to track. But I do know that whatever problems one has with drivers, AMD has nothing that can support all this crazy shit.

Last edited:
Pre GPP I was solid Nvidia Fan boy I guess - Post GPP, I did the crazy and pulled my Titan Xp (AIO) for the RX Vega 64 Liquid...

Currently (on this PC) I mostly play COD WWII, BF 1 Alpha and CTE, and couple other Games to come soon - And I have to say after seeing so many (posts and reviews) hammer on the Vega 64 a bit about being slow, not really gaming card etc.... I expected to have to put up with some lag and low frame rates, but that has not proven itself to the case.

Its not only fast, its smooth, I do feel the images are definitely different than what I'm used to with my Titan Xp - In my opinion (old eyes) colors seem to have more depth (LG 850 GSync 165Hz Monitor, 2560x1440). The AMD Radeon Settings Panel seems a bit foreign to me... though its growing on me, and I don't miss gsync (this monitor with Vega 64 is working great at 165Ghz).

Game Play, once Multi-Player maps load (WWII) its almost always hitting 167FPS (have it capped 165), which what I've noticed is that this Vega 64 seems to be doing getting min. frame rates than my Titan Xp, however the Titan Xp peak frames (when turn frame limits off) will pump out 3 to 5 higher peak frames here and there. I've found this very interesting, in my mind it opens up the debate of (for FPS game) is min. frames or average frames more desired...

I've just figured out how to get to (and found) Global WattMan), lol - I don't care about noise to I pumped fans up to 2800 rpm min. with 3300 target.

Power limit, its at 25%, looks like I can go up to 50% if I turn custom on... I don't care about using less power, however is this a good or bad idea to bump the power up?

Also notice the max frequency MHz of memory currently is at 965 - on the liquid Vega 64 how far safely up (what's a good base) can one bump this up to, or just leave it alone?

I believe you should undervolt the gpu a bit (4 to 5%) so that you may overclock the memory at least up to 1050 to 1100mhz . Have your minimum fan speed at about 2300 rpm and max up to 3300 to 3400.

Again it's not just about the raw performance difference between the cards. He is also losing VRR entirely by switching to AMD because the monitor is G-Sync only. Modern demanding games like BF 1 are not getting >165FPS minimums at that resolution with a Vega 64 or a 1080Ti, so yes having VRR will provide the smoothest experience

If OP is sticking with the Vega, he should return or sell that monitor and get a FreeSync display. He will save money and have VRR, plus be out of the nVidia ecosystem entirely as per his own stated desire.

Yes , sell the overpriced Gsync monitor and buy a Freesync 2 monitor. It will cost less and give you better performance with the Vega 64 card.

1) Path of Exile - the textures were blur in town???, and frame rate target only works in town or in the PVE area - but not both. Free Game - download it and check -

2)Vermintide 2 mouse cursor won't disappear off the screen

3) AMD's Freesync windmill demo - Freesync doesn't work.
https://community.amd.com/external-link.jspa?url=https://1drv.ms/u/s!Asca4fpyZLwfjnbGGfKlHH74Dj8U

4) Edge browser won't Play 4K videos in 4k on youtube. (firefox will)

and I'll add a 5) one from last week that he found when I asked him to play Carmageddon with me.
Try Carmageddon Max Damage or Carmageddon Incarnation. Menus work fine, game won't launch it crashes to desktop.

I'll take a stab at it. I'm a part of AMD's Radeon Vanguard Driver team. This doesn't mean I know anything but I can at least attempt to help.

#1 - is this a known issue? Is your friend using DX9 or DX11? Have your friend submit a bug report. This can be looked into further.

#2 - This was an issue, but should have been resolved in a game patch. This was not just an AMD issue.
Search here for "cursor". https://vermintide.gamepedia.com/Changelog
Possible fix or cause could be alt tabbing too.

#3 - You are using an old version of windmill. The new version works fine on Vega. This was a demo program way before Vega was even around.

#4 - If you enable VP9 in edge, 4k works for me but I had to refresh.

#5 - IDK again submit a bug report. It's built into the drivers.

Last edited:
I'll take a stab at it. I'm a part of AMD's Radeon Vanguard Driver team. This doesn't mean I know anything but I can at least attempt to help.

First off - thanks for your response!

#1 - is this a known issue? Is your friend using DX9 or DX11? Have your friend submit a bug report. This can be looked into further.

DX11, all settings maxed. We both played POE for years. Though not recently - both probably quit regular play over the last six months to a year. Neither of us had seen it before, but my nvidia card doesn't do it.

#2 - This was an issue, but should have been resolved in a game patch. This was not just an AMD issue.
Search here for "cursor". https://vermintide.gamepedia.com/Changelog
Possible fix or cause could be alt tabbing too.

I've never seen it with my 1080TI nvidia card, and I bought the game near launch and have 30 hours in it. His fix is typically to open the menu and close it again, or alt-tab out - but sometimes it doesn't go away so he has to exit the game and re-launch. He's got the newest version of the game updated via Steam FWIW. It's still happening - as of just yesterday 5/11/2018.

#3 - You are using an old version of windmill. The new version works fine on Vega. This was a demo program way before Vega was even around.

Where is the new version? I couldn't even find the old version save a 3rd party link? I'm sure he'd love to try the new version. (though really - why does the old version not work?) I can go to nvidia's site and download any nvidia 1st party demo back nearly two decades and they all work)

#4 - If you enable VP9 in edge, 4k works for me but I had to refresh.

I'll have hit test - I don't know what VP9 is - but I'll do a websearch -- edit - instructions:
(https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...icrosoft-edge-vp9-extension-windows-10-a.html)

#5 - IDK again submit a bug report. It's built into the drivers.

What's built into the drivers?

Last edited:
Might I suggest what's the point in all of this? nVidia's screws up and so does AMD on drivers. I'm not going to use an AMD with VR with this gen.

When did this thread stop being fun?

OP said he did something crazy, and rightly got teased about it.

WTF guys? Lighten up. Who gives a shit what vidya card someone else is running?

WTF guys? Lighten up. Who gives a shit what vidya card someone else is running?

I certainly don't. But this was a pointless exercise technically speaking. So given that with GPP is all of the non-fun. I could point out how great any number of the things I use are and get it way worse. Just think how much crap a person gets for liking Windows 10 around here, even if it actually supports everything someone does.

Par for the course around here. That's just what it is.

Last edited:
But my data!

I was reading on FaceBook on my Android phone that Microsoft is stealing my credit card numbers...

I think it's crazy just how far ahead Microsoft is these days with x86 clients. Touch screens, pen, syncing with phones, VR, legacy Win32. It ain't perfect but insanely powerful.

I think it's crazy just how far ahead Microsoft is these days with x86 clients. Touch screens, pen, syncing with phones, VR, legacy Win32. It ain't perfect but insanely powerful.

And how well And Vega cards work with it. :D

Back