Did I apply too much thermal paste?

CarpCharacin

Limp Gawd
I have a be quiet dark rock pro tf and I installed it on my board with an i7 6800k yesterday. I looked up close and it is not squishing out, but I can see a little bit where the cooler comes in contact with the CPU. I took a picture after I applied the thermal paste before I put the cooler on.
IMG_20161130_173205214_HDR.jpg

You can always take it off and see how well it squished out. The more important question is how are your temps under load?

You're fine. Its a little more than what I use but you have a bigger die 6800k so your temps should be within margin of error on another application. I would leave it go.

That should be fine. I actually use about that much total in an X pattern and it consistently gives me good results.

I usually apply a single pea sized dot in the middle and let the pressure of the cooler spread the paste. You may have a little too much but its not a big deal if your temps are fine.

I am still waiting for the replacement case to come and when that comes I can finish putting the computer together.

that's fine. and the too much issue doesn't really matter with an IHS'd chip. any excess just squeezes out to the edge. it doesn't collect around and insultae an exposed cpu die like the old days.
ps: don't wreck the new case!!

Here is a picture I took of the base of the cooler right where it touches the CPU. I am not sure if it squished out or not.

Attachments

• IMG_20161201_125813750.jpg
    IMG_20161201_125813750.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 107
as long as it isn't conductive it will only make a mess.

Also apply it as a ball (for squad heatsinks...line for rectangle ones) so it spreads evenly and you want some run off to ensure no air pockets and complete coverage.

That guide seems to be saying that it doesn't matter what you use, since the end result is 2C

But would the temps be better if I had done less?
Possibly, to a point. In an ideal situation you want only enough to fill the microscopic voids on the surface. Actual metal to metal contact would provide better thermal transfer than TIM. But yeah, what you did looks fine.

I was reading a guide online on how to install the be quiet cooler and it said to put on all of the thermal paste and I didn't apply all of it, but I did apply most of it.. It came in a very small syringe. After I put it on the CPU, I squeezed out a little drop to get an idea of how much was left and there really wasn't any left after that. I did order some noctua thermal paste that I was planning to use, but it didn't come in the main box and the paste that came with the be quiet cooler looked fine, so I used it.

i use the "few drops + credit card smear" technique. I go by the idea that the point of the thermal compound is to fill in the microgaps between the CPU and cooler, not act like the filling in an icecream sandwich.

it better to have to much than to little.

With todays Pressure from the cooler mounting you cant really give to much.
Giving to much was something you coulf do back when it was msall heatsink that clipped on. The pressure force today squesses it away

Too much is nearly impossible, unless you just slather it on. The pressure the coolers put on the heatspreader will squish out the excess. If you've misapplied the paste your temperatures will be really horrible, so if they're not don't worry about it.

The squish out effect really depends on viscosity of the TIM. Some of the older ceramic based ones can be pretty thick. More paste than liquid.

This reminds me of ancient days when we had bare Athlon t-bred cores. After lapping the sink to a mirror finish, I always got the best temps from spreading a tiny amount with my finger. Just enough to make a cloudy film on each surface.

I don't think that the thermal paste that I put on was very thick, but it didn't really squish out.

dude, youre question has been answered several times over. if you truly know how to build systems, like you say, you shouldn't be asking these basic, basic, baaaaaasic questions. you should know how to check if you have enough(hint: pull it off and look). seriously and no offence intended, go watch some system build videos on youtube.

If I pull it off, I will have to re apply it. Before the thermal paste was pre applied to the cooler.

It was an accident
You don't know the basis of mounting your RAM
https://hardforum.com/threads/ram-logo.1918819/
Yes I do. I just asked about the logo on the ram sticks, not mounting it.
and cant follow simple instructions on your thermal paste
https://hardforum.com/threads/did-i-apply-too-much-thermal-paste.1918803/
There are many ways on how to apply thermal paste. I didn't put on too much. I know how to build a PC. I have done it successfully in the past.

It was an accident

Yes I do. I just asked about the logo on the ram sticks, not mounting it.

There are many ways on how to apply thermal paste. I didn't put on too much. I know how to build a PC. I have done it successfully in the past.

Still 3 basic stuff to know about assembling a computer that you fail in..

Still 3 basic stuff to know about assembling a computer that you fail in..
I didn't "fail" in them. I successfully mounted the ram BECAUSE I HAVE DONE IT BEFORE and I SUCCESSFULLY APPLIED THERMAL PASTE. The only thing that I screwed up was the standoff holes in the case. It was originally one hole, but I stripped additional holes trying to fix it by swapping out the standoffs. I didn't fail installing my ram or applying thermal paste, so stop bashing me.

and if you knew how to do it, you wouldn't be in doubt. and you would know by todays mounting methods its pretty hard to put in "to much"

I read online that it would make the thermals bad if I put on too much. I guess they were referring to the clip on coolers. I was in doubt because there are so many methods of applying thermal paste. I feel like people here are attacking me like sharks. Can't you just drop it?

I've washed off electronics before, worked fine...

I did make sure to dry properly before applying power.

(Not responsible for you fucking your shit up if you follow the above advice)

I was worried about the thermal paste so I decided to reapply it and this time I did it the kentuckiana style and now I wrecked my motherboard :cry:

Just kidding :wacky:

That guide seems to be saying that it doesn't matter what you use, since the end result is 2C

When you have a good cooling system on a low power CPU it doesn't really matter but longevity does. air pockets will get worse and temps over the long hall will get worse.

Possibly, to a point. In an ideal situation you want only enough to fill the microscopic voids on the surface. Actual metal to metal contact would provide better thermal transfer than TIM. But yeah, what you did looks fine.

if you are applying 60 PSI or more like you should be the paste will move out of the way so what you are getting at is moot and dumb.
i use the "few drops + credit card smear" technique. I go by the idea that the point of the thermal compound is to fill in the microgaps between the CPU and cooler, not act like the filling in an icecream sandwich.
again thats a bad method for longevity because it causes air bubbles and the pasting will go bad after a month or two on a heavily overclocked rig and temps will go up 5-10C depending on the system. (very true for laptops or heavy voltaged OC rigs)

it better to have to much than to little.

With todays Pressure from the cooler mounting you cant really give to much.
Giving to much was something you coulf do back when it was msall heatsink that clipped on. The pressure force today squesses it away

Exactly all good TIM is no longer conductive so no reason to not allow bleed over which is why a large pea it best method. Least amount of air bubbles and best coverage. Messy but who cares?

The squish out effect really depends on viscosity of the TIM. Some of the older ceramic based ones can be pretty thick. More paste than liquid.

This reminds me of ancient days when we had bare Athlon t-bred cores. After lapping the sink to a mirror finish, I always got the best temps from spreading a tiny amount with my finger. Just enough to make a cloudy film on each surface.
Even ICD under pressure is perfectly fine and moves. Again your pressure should be 60-100PSI. (impossible to measure but it should be tight. I have done extensive testing with pressure paper and it is impossible to get consistent results due to how the paper works and how heatsinks are applied).

I don't think that the thermal paste that I put on was very thick, but it didn't really squish out.
not enough paste and/or pressure.
If I pull it off, I will have to re apply it. Before the thermal paste was pre applied to the cooler.
thats the point...if you are unsure it is enough take it off and see how it spread. If it wasn't enough clean, reapply with more, and you are done! If it was enough clean, reapply same amount...done problem solved.

I read online that it would make the thermals bad if I put on too much. I guess they were referring to the clip on coolers. I was in doubt because there are so many methods of applying thermal paste. I feel like people here are attacking me like sharks. Can't you just drop it?

patently false. Too much paste is never an issue unless it is conductive!....it just makes a really big fucking mess and looks bad.
and if you knew how to do it, you wouldn't be in doubt. and you would know by todays mounting methods its pretty hard to put in "to much"
stop trolling him and let it be. You are arguing for no reason.

stop trolling him and let it be. You are arguing for no reason.

I'm not trolling. I'm genuine worried he will destroy more of his equipment when you have seen the amount of stupid destruction that I have seen because people want to save a few buck and do it themselves. You get worried when you see this pattern.
But I am stopping since it seems there is no way to reach him.

But the number of:
- PSU's i have seen people burned of because they mounted the floppy connector wrong.
- Crushed core
- Failed windows installs because drivers are something foreign to the user
- Memory forced into the slot the wrong way so the sockes get pulles out of the board
- People putting pads on the IHS so the Cooler cant connect
- People putting in the CPU the wrong way with so much force the pins actually digs into the plastic where there is no "Hole"
etc etc

and here we have a guy that destroys his mounting hole in his chassis, thinsk for some reason the logo orientation is important on his ram and is considering if he needs to turn the ram around. Unsure of how much thermal paste is enough or to much.
yeah i get a little worried about the equipment.

Back