Diablo IV - The Real Official Thread

It really does seem like they're going to have to do like D3. Do a full house cleaning of all the programmers and get a fresh team in there to revamp itemization and the general game.

It really does seem like they're going to have to do like D3. Do a full house cleaning of all the programmers and get a fresh team in there to revamp itemization and the general game.
The programmers are not the problem. Well, maybe the network guys for the lack of fixing duping and how stupidly the stash tabs were handled. The greatest programming in the world wouldn't fix the issues Diablo 4 has though.

What people are frustrated with are the game designers. They're not programmers. They're the people who are dictating how the game is supposed to be played.

The programmers are not the problem. Well, maybe the network guys for the lack of fixing duping and how stupidly the stash tabs were handled. The greatest programming in the world wouldn't fix the issues Diablo 4 has though.

What people are frustrated with are the game designers. They're not programmers. They're the people who are dictating how the game is supposed to be played.
Sorry, yeah that is what I meant. The designers.

I doubt this was the plan, but I think it shows how poor the game is doing. They are essentially needing to make it F2P since they can't make decent seasonal content to get people to spend more money.

Wow... This was probably the plan all along. Get all the $70 you can then switch to players will buy stuff in game strategy
Microsoft didn't finish acquisition of Activision until mid-October last year, 5 months after Diablo IV released.
I doubt this was the plan, but I think it shows how poor the game is doing. They are essentially needing to make it F2P since they can't make decent seasonal content to get people to spend more money.
All first-party Microsoft titles are released on Game Pass. That didn't stop Starfield from selling 10s of million of copies.

Wow, almost slid down to page 2 on forum. Bump! I'm not letting the best game of 2023 drop to page 2.

I can't drag myself to roll a character this season :LOL: . One season on, one season off, seems to work best for me.

Not available for preload yet on gamepass that I can find. Figure I will give it a play there.

With the ray tracing updates I'll give this a second try. Quit halfway through the campaign because Druid was absolutely boring to play and I didn't feel like starting over.

With the ray tracing updates I'll give this a second try. Quit halfway through the campaign because Druid was absolutely boring to play and I didn't feel like starting over.
I'd wait for the start of season 4, after they drop the major loot update. That way you don't burn yourself out before hand as there's a strong possibility that it will be the first update that actually starts adding the fun back into Diablo.

Have you seen the RT effects? Not worth turning on moat likely. I'm going to try and come back for season 4. Haven't played since the first two week of season 2.

Played for a couple hours last night. The updated ambient occlusion makes the biggest difference and is a most welcome change. I honestly don't think the ray traced shadows are that big of a deal, and I didn't play anywhere the reflections would be noticed. All of it put together, though, makes the image output much more cohesive and believable.

It's also on Game Pass Ultimate now I believe. Although I'd rather spend my time on the new PoE season that's out today.

This game might literally have the most underwhelming ray tracing implementation I've ever seen

Seriously, does the new Ray Tracing on an OLED monitor, make a noticable difference? Or is it a minor nothing burger?

I know this guy who still plays this game at Walmart he's level 100 on World tire 4 he says other people are level 100 too but he said they 1 hit bosses in the game =)
While it takes him alot longer not sure if they have better gear or what. The guy who plays this is a old Diablo fan in his mid 50s.

Seriously, does the new Ray Tracing on an OLED monitor, make a noticable difference? Or is it a minor nothing burger?

It's basically just a "halve my fps please" switch from what I saw. No hyperbole when I say I probably couldn't tell which was which side by side.

It's pretty terrible

I would use contact shadows and set ambient occlusion to the new ultra setting, as I think these make the biggest difference. Test the ray traced effects yourself to see if you like them. I like the ray traced shadows, but reflections do nothing but make more visual clutter on the screen in my opinion.

I would avoid using frame gen in this game since I notice a lot of latency even with Reflex turned on, so if the FPS loss is too high then don't use the ray tracing effects.

I know this guy who still plays this game at Walmart he's level 100 on World tire 4 he says other people are level 100 too but he said they 1 hit bosses in the game =)
While it takes him alot longer not sure if they have better gear or what. The guy who plays this is a old Diablo fan in his mid 50s.
Certain classes can one hit pretty much any boss, if you have the right gear. The game isn't really well balanced at the moment.

I'm a super casual player, and this is news to me, but none to you pros here.

What's the deal with seasonal characters?

Why do they make us create and start a brand new character, and then need to level up to max and gear up from scratch all over again, every few months? That seems like such a chore and kind of kills the good feeling you get having a fav character for a long time.

I still play WoW, and I have characters that are 15+ years old, been playing them since BC or whatnot. I'd be pissed if WoW made me create a fresh new level 1 character every few months, that would be such a time sink and kill the feel for me.

Can you not keep a Diablo IV character the whole time, and still play it in current content? Or is new content only for these fresh seasonal characters? This is a bad trend I hope doesn't continue.

Makes your character feel like a throwaway character, like don't get too attached to a fun character you really like, because it be useless in a few months.

Last edited:

Why do they make us create and start a brand new character, and then need to level up to max and gear up from scratch all over again, every few months? That seems like such a chore and kind of kills the good feeling you get having a fav character for a long time.

I still play WoW, and I have characters that are 15+ years old, been playing them since BC or whatnot. I'd be pissed if WoW made me create a fresh new level 1 character every few months, that would be such a time sink and kill the feel for me.

Can you not keep a Diablo IV character the whole time, and still play it in current content? Or is new content only for these fresh seasonal characters?
Once the season is over, the character moves to the main realm and all gold gets shared and paragon xp added to the pool. This is the same as they have been doing it in diablo 3.

I find it kind of enjoyable, i try new characters and completely different playstyles/builds. Yea it prolly is just to get us to play more but i enjoy it so why not.

Can you not keep a Diablo IV character the whole time, and still play it in current content? Or is new content only for these fresh seasonal characters? This is a bad trend I hope doesn't continue.

Makes your character feel like a throwaway character, like don't get too attached to a fun character you really like, because it be useless in a few months.
It's exactly the same in other ARPGs like Path of Exile. I'm pretty sure we've pointed that out multiple times in this thread.

It boils down to player engagement and people enjoying starting over from scratch. Personally, I don't see the point of grinding endlessly for the perfect gear at max level, which is all the end game in an ARPG is, so I enjoy starting fresh. Seasons adding new mechanics and content makes it interesting.

It's exactly the same in other ARPGs like Path of Exile. I'm pretty sure we've pointed that out multiple times in this thread.

It boils down to player engagement and people enjoying starting over from scratch. Personally, I don't see the point of grinding endlessly for the perfect gear at max level, which is all the end game in an ARPG is, so I enjoy starting fresh. Seasons adding new mechanics and content makes it interesting.

That's a good explanation.

Wow takes a lot longer to max out a character, ARPGs are quick to get to the end game. Gives you an opportunity to try something new each season (if there's something new). With PoE each update is basically an expansion so it kind of makes sense. Season 4 of D4 sounds like a massive overhaul so in that case it will make sense as well.

Wow takes a lot longer to max out a character, ARPGs are quick to get to the end game. Gives you an opportunity to try something new each season (if there's something new). With PoE each update is basically an expansion so it kind of makes sense. Season 4 of D4 sounds like a massive overhaul so in that case it will make sense as well.
Agreed. I have an attachment to my wow characters, i dont think ive ever had that in any ARPG ive played. Most times im starting a new character because a friend started playing

I guess that is the difference between ARPG fans and some ARPGs players like myself these days. I grew up playing ARPGs before seasons were even a thing which I know others have also here, but they just hold zero interest for me. I have never once bothered with a season. The closest I have come is The Division 2 and even then it was more just something to randomly if the event was cool. I wouldn't even call that a season though since I never started fresh for it.

I enjoyed leveling alts in MMORPGs, but never found the same enjoyment in ARPGs for some reason. I usually get to a point and just stop playing usually after beating the main story. I played Diablo 3 once to completion and uninstalled it. I think I tried to come back once and didn't see the point. Maybe it is just that the loot treadmill doesn't do anything for me anymore, not that it ever really did. Even now trying to play Diablo IV I am still what I did in beta so I end up quitting after a quest or two.

It probably also doesn't help that I have never once min/maxed or used anything to plan out a build. I essentially look at skills that sound interesting or fit my playstyle so rarely if ever bother even reading the patchnotes to see what was tweaked about skills.

I guess that is the difference between ARPG fans and some ARPGs players like myself these days. I grew up playing ARPGs before seasons were even a thing which I know others have also here, but they just hold zero interest for me. I have never once bothered with a season. The closest I have come is The Division 2 and even then it was more just something to randomly if the event was cool. I wouldn't even call that a season though since I never started fresh for it.

I enjoyed leveling alts in MMORPGs, but never found the same enjoyment in ARPGs for some reason. I usually get to a point and just stop playing usually after beating the main story. I played Diablo 3 once to completion and uninstalled it. I think I tried to come back once and didn't see the point. Maybe it is just that the loot treadmill doesn't do anything for me anymore, not that it ever really did. Even now trying to play Diablo IV I am still what I did in beta so I end up quitting after a quest or two.

It probably also doesn't help that I have never once min/maxed or used anything to plan out a build. I essentially look at skills that sound interesting or fit my playstyle so rarely if ever bother even reading the patchnotes to see what was tweaked about skills.

I'm the exact same.

I don't give a crap about having the best loot or gear in the game I just want good upgrades but it doesn't really matter to me.

And the perfect class build? I don't care I just put together what I find most fun.

I finished Diablo 4 last year with my main character and felt like okay I'm kind of done with the game what's the point of a new season to replay the same game yeah there's some different things or something but it's still the same game it's not new maps or anything.

Plus I wish the game had more of an MMO feel or more people in it The game seems totally empty to me almost all the time except when in the towns you might see one or two people walking around

I wish there was a group finder you could queue into to run stuff together.

Back