Diablo III is getting killed on Metacritic

I have about 12 friends that I see on my buddy list every night playing this game - all of them played D2 pretty religiously and all love D3, including me. I think people complaining on the forums are the minority. Blizzard has fantastic post release support so the game will only improve.

Agreed - this is just squeaky wheel syndrome. People who are loving it are...well you guessed it, too busy playing to be posting on the forums. The squeaky wheels have nothing to do but preach to other squeaky wheels on the forums.

Torchlight 2 will be a more robust game in all ways. Sadly it won't be in the diablo universe with the dark, gloomy, and gothic feel but then Diablo3 doesn't really deliver there either.

There are little cool things you could do in the game though. Light a farm house on fire and the mobs inside come running out like headless chickens. Was actually quite funny the first time I saw that. And the areas are very well designed so far.

I'm really looking forward to TL2.

Agreed - this is just squeaky wheel syndrome. People who are loving it are...well you guessed it, too busy playing to be posting on the forums. The squeaky wheels have nothing to do but preach to other squeaky wheels on the forums.

Personally, I QQ about things i don't like, discuss things i don't understand, and praise things i love about whatever game i'm currently playing on these forums--while i'm at work. If i could be playing D3 right now, i would be ^_^ I think that goes for a lot of people around here.

I know many of us always have an [H] tab open while we go about our days =P

I have about 12 friends that I see on my buddy list every night playing this game - all of them played D2 pretty religiously and all love D3, including me. I think people complaining on the forums are the minority. Blizzard has fantastic post release support so the game will only improve.

Minority? Really? I smell sarcasm in it...

Personally, I QQ about things i don't like, discuss things i don't understand, and praise things i love about whatever game i'm currently playing on these forums--while i'm at work. If i could be playing D3 right now, i would be ^_^ I think that goes for a lot of people around here.

I know many of us always have an [H] tab open while we go about our days =P

Yeah work is for [H] forum, home is for actually playing the game. :D

Minority? Really? I smell sarcasm in it...

With millions online, pretty sure the few dozen in here complaining are the minority. I know I've already got about 40 hours in...ridiculous when I think about it. But there are still several friends I have that are ALWAYS on when I log in...addicts.

Yeah work is for [H] forum, home is for actually playing the game. :D

With millions online, pretty sure the few dozen in here complaining are the minority. I know I've already got about 40 hours in...ridiculous when I think about it. But there are still several friends I have that are ALWAYS on when I log in...addicts.

Take a look at the thread in here, it ain't few dozen, more like hundred and thousands.

Look at Bnet forums, almost the entire forum is full with complains.

Take a look at the thread in here, it ain't few dozen, more like hundred and thousands.

Not even close. There are "only" 151 unique posters in this thread, not nearly all of them complainers. For example, fps4ever who is in every thread despite not playing the game, posted 25 out of 526 posts in here, nearly 5% of the posts (and I'm right there with him, in fairness).

I'm just saying it's extremely easy to misconstrue things from forums - it is a self-selecting population, which is why in statistics you never count any type of survey as valid if it is self-selecting.

I'd like to point out that I work with a bunch of nerds who all got Diablo 3, did not get one complaint! The CG scenes only are worth the 60$ price tag!

Any developer forum is always full of complaints.

Not even close. There are "only" 151 unique posters in this thread, not nearly all of them complainers. For example, fps4ever who is in every thread despite not playing the game, posted 25 out of 526 posts in here, nearly 5% of the posts (and I'm right there with him, in fairness).

I'm just saying it's extremely easy to misconstrue things from forums - it is a self-selecting population, which is why in statistics you never count any type of survey as valid if it is self-selecting.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1690207
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/3354739/

Right; 6+ million people bought the game. If even 5% are dissatisfied, that is 300,000 people complaining non-stop over the internet. Another population of people that you see in here never even bought the game and are still complaining - some of them much more so than anyone who has even bought it. Not sure what your point is...lots of people are complaining. Welcome to the internet.

I fudging love it. I understand why a lot of people wouldn't be stoked with the changes - I admit, I was a little thrown with the new skill system. But then I realized - at least, selfishly, I'm 24 now and I have a lot less free time than I used to. While I did love the challenge of getting the perfect build, I really don't miss having to start over, and I love that this new system means you are switching around skills every few levels since you get new runes.. it keeps it very refreshing and fun. I only have little bits of time to game nowadays, and I'm very happy playing this.

I think a respec compromise would have worked better if the skills were more moddable and upgradeable.

It's pretty fun at first, but we'll see where all the D3 lovers are in a couple months when they realize there's no incentive to keep playing. No new builds to try, no loot worth collecting, no rune words to find. Just grinding for hours picking up the same crappy rare items, and having your hopes dashed the one time in a million a legendary drops and it's complete garbage. Oh, but wait, there's the RMAH! If you're stupid enough to spend real money in there...well I just feel sorry for you.

And don't kid yourselves that Blizz is going to radically change things. They designed the game around the RMAH and every decision is going to be driven by how much money it will make them on micrtransactions.

If they add five more classes, pvp, and more types of items i MIGHT take back that this game is simply too boring by design. But that will never happen. Blizzard are content making boring lackluster games now because everybody and their mother will preorder it anyway.

So, im in the middle of act 3. The story and voice acting has taken a nose dive. The plot feels so rushed at this point. The lag doesn't help either. I'll finish D3 for sure, but I couldn't tell someone it's a worthy sequel with a straight face.

I felt the same. I was having a good amount of fun, despite it's short coming up to the middle of the 3rd act, but after that point... I was just going through the motion just to beat the game. Act 4 is even more lackluster. It was incredibly disappointing. It wasn't even an act, it was a dungeon.

It's a little sad when the first 2 acts are better when they were really short. Act 3 took a longer time but it felt boring. One of my friends feel the same way. Another is slowly going through it, and we're awaiting his opinion on it. I'm glad we weren't the only ones that feels this way about act 3 and up.

About bosses.... the Butcher wasn't horrible, but I didn't really get much from it. He felt like a money grab. Leoric as well. Just because they were so popular, they added it in to get attention, and that's probably about it.

While the ones complaining may be in the minority, there is still a very good amount of people complaining. Take a look at this thread on reddit. It's in the general 'Games' subreddit, not even Diablo. So it's one people see while they're just browsing reddit. The highest upvoted comments are complaining about itemization, the story, etc. While I would understand your point on a developer forum, something dictated by upvotes and downvotes on a generalized forum is a clear indication of the way people are thinking.

There is also this one from about a week ago in the Diablo subreddit.

***********This post does contain spoilers**************

Diablo 3 is a good game. The gameplay, loot design, and spell/stat mechanics are excellent. The art design is top notch. That, and I don't have to recreate my entire toon if I even remotely mess up my skill tree. Plus it's nice to have 4 difficulties. This gives me something to look forward to.

/Read below only if you've finished Diablo 3, as it contains spoilers.

The story on the other hand, well... it just doesn't make any sense. The Diablo stories were something you paid attention to the first time through the game, then it was gameplay mode and loot fest after that. Trust me, that part I understand, but both the original Diablo and Diablo 2 both had fairly strong storylines. In Diablo 3, the story is just lazy, inconsistent, and nonsensical. I understand some "retconning" is probably required from game to game, but the idea that Diablo became the embodiment of the seven evils (ie, "Legion") made no sense to me:

1. I get that Leah was the daughter of both Adria and Diablo (err, Aidan?), but that would make her a prime vessel to take over, not Diablo. I'm still curious where Diablo suddenly came out of nowhere on this one, because...
2. The Black Soulstone was introduced as an empty container. Sure, I get Belial and Azmodan, because we kill them but...
3. The spirits of Diablo, Mephisto, Baal, Andariel, and Duriel were never collected in the Black Soulstone. So where does this legion dude come from?

So, really, I'm scratches my head on this one here because it just doesn't make any sense to me. I found the storytelling aspect of Diablo 3 to be akin to a Dragonball Z episode, but I guess that's to be expected when none of the original Diablo 1/2 teams had any influence on the Diablo 3 project. You get serious inconsistencies like this one.

Last edited:
You couldn't make your Spoilers warning more obvious/at the beginning of the post? Seriously?

It's certainly not my intention to ever spoil anything for anyone, but I did warn the reader prior to delving into my point. I did add more obvious spoiler tags though.

The forum actually does have spoiler tags that should be used

Like this.

As someone who has put over 75 hours into this game - I give it a 6.5

The story is so predictable I was kind of disappointed in how it unraveled.

Secondly, They need to get their shit together. The fact that they released an unfinished game and then BROKE THE GAME ON PURPOSE because they will "fix it at a later date", I.E. - completely destroying some of the mechanics of the Monk because they feel that their adjustments later will compensate for their future plans. Bullshit, if you agree with this your a schmuck.

Thirdly, I understand why everything is online but fucking get it together. I can't play this game and do things that require PRECISE reaction and strategy when I am lagging all over the place, rubberbanding into AOE's, delayed spell casting that = death. Its honestly frustrating. People that are playing hardcore must be playing way more careful than usual because I can't count the number of times I have rubberbanded when running away. Or mouse lag. And no, its not just me because all of my friends are having the exact same issues. I wish I would have waited to purchase this game because they have a lot to fix. I would have loved for them to just wait on the release and included everything all at once.

Which, speaking-of... What the fuck took them so long? There isn't shit in this game and it barely works correctly... Hasn't this game taken 5 years to get to us? What the hell have they been doing? It's nothing ground breaking or amazing graphically, I am having the hardest time understanding the decisions Blizzard has made on this release

Which, speaking-of... What the fuck took them so long? There isn't shit in this game and it barely works correctly... Hasn't this game taken 5 years to get to us? What the hell have they been doing? It's nothing ground breaking or amazing graphically, I am having the hardest time understanding the decisions Blizzard has made on this release

Totally agree. D3 in its current state does not feel like an AAA title with 5+ years of development

Skyrim took the same or less amount of time. Contains waaay more content and is much more impressive.

Last edited:
As someone who has put over 75 hours into this game - I give it a 6.5

The story is so predictable I was kind of disappointed in how it unraveled.

Secondly, They need to get their shit together. The fact that they released an unfinished game and then BROKE THE GAME ON PURPOSE because they will "fix it at a later date", I.E. - completely destroying some of the mechanics of the Monk because they feel that their adjustments later will compensate for their future plans. Bullshit, if you agree with this your a schmuck.

Thirdly, I understand why everything is online but fucking get it together. I can't play this game and do things that require PRECISE reaction and strategy when I am lagging all over the place, rubberbanding into AOE's, delayed spell casting that = death. Its honestly frustrating. People that are playing hardcore must be playing way more careful than usual because I can't count the number of times I have rubberbanded when running away. Or mouse lag. And no, its not just me because all of my friends are having the exact same issues. I wish I would have waited to purchase this game because they have a lot to fix. I would have loved for them to just wait on the release and included everything all at once.

How did you put 75 hours into a game you think is medicore? Do you just hate yourself? Or could it be you are having fun and feel the need to nitpick?

How did you put 75 hours into a game you think is medicore? Do you just hate yourself? Or could it be you are having fun and feel the need to nitpick?

When many people share the same sentiment, I hardly call that nitpicking.

Anyone in Hawaii playing this? Wondering how bad lag is from here...... Rubber banding would kill my experience.

I was excited about this game, I took a few days off from work with some friends and played it a lot? I guess I'm having a hard time understanding where the "do you hate yourself?" comment came from other than you being a fucking choad. Buzz off, Jabroni. I have an educated opinion on the subject and you are trying to criticize me for it? Makes sense...

Also, THIS:

When many people share the same sentiment, I hardly call that nitpicking.

Its this reason I am taking a long break for a while to see where it goes. However I recommend people not buy this game quite yet. I say give it 3 months

I'd rather have someone who spent a substantial amount of time provide solid insight into the game than some 'journalist' who only spent a few hours with the game and regurgitate a mediocre and shortsighted review.

Real game starts after 1 play through. It's stupid easy and there's barelly any challenge
on normal. There just too many magical gear and rares drops...

Game is short , story is the same with diff intros per classes... feels like the game is banking on some expansion to complete it or multiple playthroughs.

The quality of the cutscenes is great , that i gotta give it to them.
Quite an improvement on the cg from diablo 2.

As for lag , when it happens its a pita! , fortunately haven't had too many rubberband
but for those with a poor connection i see how that could be a problem.
An offline mode and lan would've been prefered.

It's good for nostalgia sake, Not game of the year. 6/10.

Game is short , story is the same with diff intros per classes... feels like the game is banking on some expansion to complete it or multiple playthroughs.

This. D2 was not much fun without the expansion pack. Glad i haven't wasted my money yet.

So.....are the online evangelists who constantly tell us that "everyone is online, the internet is never down, anyone who doesn't accept this future of gaming is a whiner and a luddite" still vigorously defending constant online DRM for SP games?

I went for a look on the Blizzard forums about the question of Australia servers and the issue is fought by both people who are pissed off about getting the shaft and then the Blizzard fanboys responding appropriately with winners like "Blizzard isn't a charity!"

Got the game as a birthday gift so kinda glad I didn't pay for it (piracyz!) but angry all the same.

Fanboys are bad but Blizzard fanboys and apologists take the cake.

Mankind is doomed if they start breeding.

I'm thinking about reinstalling D2 and saying screw Diablo 3. It's a good game, but the loot, the level cap, the auction house, the elite mobs and the maps are not super random like in D2.

All in all, after spending years on D2. I'm pretty disappointed with this new Diablo.

The sad thing is that 6+ million copies sold won't tell them it isn't that good, that SP online sucks, that it costs too much...

I've reasd through all 28 pages of this thread it's quite amazing. Really it is.

Ranting about the servers being down on day 1. Seems to me that most of you guys are pretty much experts at gaming. If this was not expected you probably are not experts :) No amount of "preparedness" will make you immunte to such things.

Then there was the ranting about DRM, It's really to bad that in our day an age it's necessary to put down such a drastic thing. However without it this game would go in the crapper in minutes. A single player game would bring this game loot table (which I think must be kept secret at all cost) in the open. Now it's not going to happen because it's server side. DO I like the DRM... no I do not but it's necessary.

Then there is the bitching between each other. One person says black the other one answers white and adds that you're an imbecile. Pretty neat I think. I had more fun reading those than about the game itself.

I was able to play 10 hours on may 15th. I took the day off. Had a hard time at 3 am. Went back to bed at 4 am and tried again at 6 am and got in right away. PLayed all teh way until late afternoon.

The game play is the diablo we love, however the story is way to short. The fact that nothing is ever lost in teh game in my opinion will kill the re-playability.

However I still like the game and will continue to play it.

Metacritic score was flawed. I do not think it fair to rate a game on it's failed launch. Anybody reading the critic today who is wondering if they should buy the game could not care less if the game lauch was failed or not. Today the game works fine. No problem.

The game could of been a lot better. It could of been a lot worse. I'm still gonna play it and I am still going to enjoy it. I will remember however that Blizzard gave me a product that was not as good as it should of been. It's like if one of my more promesing studetns gave me a report and I rated it B when I know this student is an A student.

Hope seeing you gameside

Moogie#1729

Back