Diablo 3 without LAN too

It's a cat and mouse game. It'll work somehow when the time comes.

incoming 30 people who will claim they won't be buying the game because of this

Bah, doesn't matter, I plan to play on b.net exclusivly anyways.

I still play some D2 LoD over LAN at a friend's house every once in a great while so the lack of LAN will be missed. However, who the fuck cares this is DIABLO FUCKING THREE! Everyone and their mom who played the first two will be buying this game.

I won't say I'm not buying, but this dropped it from a certainly preorder to a maybe. The open side of battlenet is the largest collection of cheaters I've ever seen in one place, if I have to put up with that to play, I won't be buying. If the single player is good I'll probably still buy. I will be waiting to find out whats up before I decide.

Why lpay the open side when you can play on the safe, closed bnet?
Sure they are some cheaters but they're few and far between.

why would you ever play d3 or d2 on a lan anyways? How would you show your lvl 99 epeen to world!?

I never played d2 on lan, and will not with d3.

Why do you need lan when all the fun will be on bnet.

I won't say I'm not buying, but this dropped it from a certainly preorder to a maybe. The open side of battlenet is the largest collection of cheaters I've ever seen in one place, if I have to put up with that to play, I won't be buying. If the single player is good I'll probably still buy. I will be waiting to find out whats up before I decide.

Don't get why you would play Open unless you're wanting to cheat... That's exactly what it's meant for.

LAN doesn't affect me, I will still be buying it.

People who want LAN play will get it, in the form of emulated Battle.net servers.

Thing it, it would of been nice, but LAN play on Diablo isn't really much of a deal breaker, as it is on starcraft.

LAN or no LAN, you can still make private bnet games!

+1

If you're somewhere having a LAN party, it's typically somewhere that has a beefy Intarweb connection, so getting together with your friends in a private b.net game shouldn't be a big deal.

+1

If you're somewhere having a LAN party, it's typically somewhere that has a beefy Intarweb connection, so getting together with your friends in a private b.net game shouldn't be a big deal.

And if you are at a makeshift LAN with no internet, why play Diablo3? "Hey guys let's rush to level 10 and then quit!"

If they allow you to have a private room with just invited players, it's almost like a LAN. Internet is so fast now it shouldn't be an issue. Sure a LAN would have a better ping but that's about it. Having to stick close to an Internet connection isn't fun though.

If you try to run a bunch of computers across one internet connection its going to choke. The best internet connection is only a fraction of the bandwidth you get even from a cheap LAN.
The closed side of Battlenet keeps all your data on the server, and I don't like that. For me this will boil down to the single player experience. If it is good and I don't have to jump through a lot of hoops I'll buy it. If I have to log in to Bnet every time I want to play I won't.

Never played a single Blizzard game on bnet -- too many cheaters and 14 year olds acting like they are 6 when they get their asses whooped up on.

One thing I hate about B.net is they delete your characters if you don't log in for a period of time. I forget to log into games sometimes for months and then down the road I feel like playing again and oh, my characters have been deleted, great.

One thing I hate about B.net is they delete your characters if you don't log in for a period of time. I forget to log into games sometimes for months and then down the road I feel like playing again and oh, my characters have been deleted, great.

Yep I have 6 level 80 plus characters is diablo 2 that I will always have due to playing LAN only.

Never played a single Blizzard game on bnet -- too many cheaters and 14 year olds acting like they are 6 when they get their asses whooped up on.
Too many cheaters on Bnet? I disagree. For being as old as those games are, there isn't many cheaters at all. Blizzard is pretty badass when it comes to patches. I think that's one aspect of them that can be respected universally. As for the 14 year olds... welcome to online gaming.

They don't do that anymore. Now they expire, but as long as someone doesn't make a character with the same exact name as yours, you can log back on and renew it. I would hope in D3 they keep the characters there, but that would be merely speculation on my part to say anything.

I think the lack of LAN in their upcoming games is for two reasons:

1. Plans to make you pay for DLC\extra content\expansions.
  2. Copy protection. Currently if you play an illegal game online you have to do it through a VPN\Hamachi since they all use CD-Keys.

I think in Blizzard's experience, they don't like the reverse engineered servers too much. Which makes no sense if you strip it of LAN, because anyone can get a packet sniffer, monitor the traffic and make their own battlenet server (there are a plethora of examples of server\server browsing software, best example is All Seeing Eye).

So on that second point, the programmers know it, dunno if it the CEOs know it, but it is futile.

So now I have to play with my friends on bnet as opposed to LAN and have my character randomly deleted when I take a month sojourn. Great.

Big surprise.Well I hope we get to play with friends on a private game. If not then there is no way I'm buying it, B.net is FULL of cheaters. Besides, I don't like playing games like this random people.

The problem, sadly, is that LAN gaming is obsolete in terms of games like Diablo. With broadband mainstream, and the open part of battle.net riddled with duped items and hacks, I can see them wanting to create a wider berth between the single player and the online play.

The problem, sadly, is that LAN gaming is obsolete in terms of games like Diablo. With broadband mainstream, and the open part of battle.net riddled with duped items and hacks, I can see them wanting to create a wider berth between the single player and the online play.

Why do you even mention this? That's the sole purpose of Open battle.net. It's meant for custom stuff with fake items, etc. Play closed.

Also, some of you really consider that there won't be passworded games like D2 has? It's not an MMO, you're going to be able to play by yourself/friends, I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Why do you even mention this? That's the sole purpose of Open battle.net. It's meant for custom stuff with fake items, etc. Play closed.

No, the purpose of open was being able to take your characters and work on them in single player, then bring them into the online action. If you're really saying open was created with the developers thinking "This will be for the hackers", I think you're way off base.

Also, some of you really consider that there won't be passworded games like D2 has? It's not an MMO, you're going to be able to play by yourself/friends, I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Agreed. They'd be insane not to allow players to create their own private rooms.

Passworded rooms ftw, funniest part of D2 as figureing out someones retardedly easy password just to hop in and enjoy the free items on the ground!

They don't do that anymore. Now they expire, but as long as someone doesn't make a character with the same exact name as yours, you can log back on and renew it. I would hope in D3 they keep the characters there, but that would be merely speculation on my part to say anything.

Don't they get deleted after a certain period of time once becoming expired? Or they just stay expired until the next time you log in no matter how long it was?

The problem, sadly, is that LAN gaming is obsolete in terms of games like Diablo. With broadband mainstream,

Thats what this is probably about. Back in the day, we had dial-up and it sucked. LANs let us play at low ping when otherwise we would have 300-500+ pings.

I havent been to a LAN party in years - why bother, when now everyone has broadband and can be a lpb with full voicechat like the people are right next to you. Even when people still LAN, I imagine they probably have a broadband internet connection. Now the shadier LAN places (including overseas) where everyone is playing pirated copies of Starcraft and Diablo in LAN mode but paying for various MMOs and has internet access will have to pay for the real thing.

They're probably only going to ship the game with 3 characters and 2 acts. The next 2 acts will be released as an "expansion". Then there will be the final 2 acts as another expansion.

They're probably only going to ship the game with 3 characters and 2 acts. The next 2 acts will be released as an "expansion". Then there will be the final 2 acts as another expansion.

Oh, I heard they were going to release one character with one act at a time. Then you can buy a separate expansion to get the other two characters and two acts.

I think in Blizzard's experience, they don't like the reverse engineered servers too much. Which makes no sense if you strip it of LAN, because anyone can get a packet sniffer, monitor the traffic and make their own battlenet server (there are a plethora of examples of server\server browsing software, best example is All Seeing Eye).

While I don't know blizzards plans I could see a possible method to attempt preventing this, Mutual authentication. If the client and the server both have to validate themselves with a predefined key. This would probably something that's compiled into the binary to ensure it's not easily tampered with, as well as other checks to ensure the binary hasn't been modified to change the key. I'm not saying this is fool proof but it's just a possible method.

I'll buy the game no matter what. Why? Because I could care less about LAN play, hahaha. All I could say is sucks for you guys who were hoping...

The real question for everyone here is, how many LAN parties have you been to or hosted since broadband was made available in your area? I'd be willing to bet close to 0. There's just no reason to anymore.

Maybe 15 years ago I would have cared, but LAN parties are practically useless now because there is no real benefit aside from the fact that at a LAN you can sit in the same room as your friends (and that's not really a benefit, it was just fun). Don't get me wrong, I have gone to and hosted probably close to 100 LAN parties since 1991...but that's really what you had to do back then in order to get pings under 300-400ms. Playing games on a 14.4kbps modem was total hell.

Today, with broadband now being the standard internet connection, LAN parties are really more trouble than they're worth. Latency is no longer an issue, voip is now being implemented into many games when they're shipped so eventually even Teamspeak and Roger Wilco will no longer be needed.

There are some downsides though, if your internet and or cable/dsl modem goes down, no D3.

Diablo without lan doesn't really bother me. However, RTSes over LAN without delay of moving units and stuff sure does feel nice.

Not worried about this. I am more worried about the game itself being crap then not having ln support

The real question for everyone here is, how many LAN parties have you been to or hosted since broadband was made available in your area? I'd be willing to bet close to 0. There's just no reason to anymore.

I host them monthly/bi-monthly so LAN is frequently used here. No LAN isn't a deal breaker, just an inconvenience. If they deliver a truly amazing experience, I will probably forget all about the lack of LAN.

When I played D2 at my friends houses we still got on bnet and just joined the same game. No big deal.

Back