Diablo 3 without LAN too

And has been shown countless times before, this does not work with high profile titles. Emulators and loaders will be available within a week for SC2 and Diablo3 which will allow the game to function on LAN just as well as if it did support it.

And not to mention the pirated versions of the game will be packaged with these emulators/loaders, meaning that the pirates will get a more fully functional version of the game - thus the only people actually hurt by this decision is the actual legit customers.

You should never punish your legit customers due to piracy, nothing will stop piracy, especially of high profile titles. If anything it actually drives more people towards the pirated version of the game.

And thats a fair argument I won't try to go against. I generally agree with you, I think Blizzard and every other developer (who develops primarily on the PC platform), are searching for ways to fight thieves.

The average joe won't go steal a car, but they will a game. Why is that? It simply comes down to the fact that people think they can get away with it. Until that has a radical shift .. people are always going to push it as far as they can.

I'll even go as far to say that in 15-20 years the internet will be so locked down and restricted that children will read about the 'wild west' days, when people could get away with stealing games/movies/music. Until that day comes, publishers/developers are going to try new things to fight piracy and yes .... legit consumer will suffer from it.

The thing to remember is, that its not the developers fault. The blame is on solely on the pirates.

I have a solution. We destroy the Internet. by doing so we make the world a much bigger place. We go back to how we used to find out information. We read it from a newspaper, Magazine or word of mouth or if times are rough carrier pigeon. Its the ultimate solution.

mrburns.jpg

But honestly, I think at one point you reach an age where meeting with your friends are at your house, you enjoy a good cold beer, nice diner , chit-chat, kids run around and have fun, they leave you sleep.

Once in a while you setup a time, load wwhatever game you want, and play the game with your friends online.

I don't need to have them sitting close to me to enjoy the experience, honestly, I prefer to spend time with my friends enjoying life, having a good time, talking ,etc.
When I gaming, I concentrate and don't talk much, which is why I think it's much better online.

Plus lan party are a sausage fest.
eww.

Depends on your lifestyle. If you get married, have kids, and take the well-paved path of life, it's very likely that the extent of hanging with your friends at home will be a cold beer and a dinner.

For others, not so much. Kids aren't my thing, marriage isn't either. I figure the world already has enough of the first and unless someone comes along whos' special enough to change my mind, the second will be true too.

For me, my life is all about having a good time and meeting people, making friends, doing things with friends. I go to LAN parties almost every month. Generally they're about 15-40 people. Sometimes the big ones are 400. I've made countless friends at LAN parties and have learned about games, programs, tv shows, other geeky devices/interests that I may have never otherwise heard about. The people that run these events are married, have kids, and have high speed internet. There's much more to LAN parties than some of you think. Internet gaming is dandy. It's come a long way since the text based games I played on dial-up, but it will never have the personal factor that a LAN party does, and it won't allow you to meet the array of characters that attend the events. You miss out on hearing how some people scream when they get surprised, or swearing across the room from eachother after trading frags, and then being able to wind down with a few cold drinks and snacks, not to mention being able to play games that no one else seems to play online anymore. It's a different experience that in my mind is hard to beat, but if it's not your cup of tea, fine.

It's not like it affects you negatively in any way, so live and let live eh?

Besides, I'd gladly take a sausage fest lan party and being able to geek out over consulting a chick over the color of the new handbag she's looking at. Good lord. I'd find it hard to imagine many people wanting to do that, geeking out is much more fun. :cool:
Don't try to deny it, after all, you're posting on the [H]ardForums.

Depends on your lifestyle. If you get married, have kids, and take the well-paved path of life, it's very likely that the extent of hanging with your friends at home will be a cold beer and a dinner.

For others, not so much. Kids aren't my thing, marriage isn't either. I figure the world already has enough of the first and unless someone comes along whos' special enough to change my mind, the second will be true too.

For me, my life is all about having a good time and meeting people, making friends, doing things with friends. I go to LAN parties almost every month. Generally they're about 15-40 people. Sometimes the big ones are 400. I've made countless friends at LAN parties and have learned about games, programs, tv shows, other geeky devices/interests that I may have never otherwise heard about. The people that run these events are married, have kids, and have high speed internet. There's much more to LAN parties than some of you think. Internet gaming is dandy. It's come a long way since the text based games I played on dial-up, but it will never have the personal factor that a LAN party does, and it won't allow you to meet the array of characters that attend the events. You miss out on hearing how some people scream when they get surprised, or swearing across the room from eachother after trading frags, and then being able to wind down with a few cold drinks and snacks, not to mention being able to play games that no one else seems to play online anymore. It's a different experience that in my mind is hard to beat, but if it's not your cup of tea, fine.

Besides, I'd gladly take a sausage fest lan party and being able to geek out over consulting a chick over the color of the new handbag she's looking at. Good lord. I'd find it hard to imagine many people wanting to do that, geeking out is much more fun. :cool:

How old are you?

I only played D2 over LAN. It's a real PITA when you want to play multiplayer with your friends, be it who are sitting next to you or hundreds of miles away, and your internet screws up or someone doesn't have internet (yes, there are lots of places like that in the world).

I mean, how silly is it for me to have a copy of diablo 3 on my laptop and my buddy who is sitting on the couch next to me also has a copy a diablo 3 on his laptop, and we can't play together because there's no internet connection where we are. That seems like a step backwards to me, a huge step, since games in the early 90s (hello Doom) had freakin' LAN support.

Is that what developers want us to do? Load up Doom because their damn game wont let us play together?

lol .... did you read what you wrote? Do you think Activision Blizzard is in the business of catering to pirates?

I can't go into too much detail, but a guy on my team lives with a code monkey who's working on Project Titan at Blizzard. This is their rumored successor to WoW, and is located in the Diablo wing of the building, higher security locked doors. Think Willy Wonka level access. Nobody comes in, nobody comes out.

Anywho, apparently the majority of the underlaying 'code' for Diablo 3 has been done for quite some time. Blizzard runs development like a factory line, where programmers hop from project to project as soon as that portion is done. Apparently the design team is now working on Diablo 3, where many of the Diablo 3 programmers have moved into the Project Titan area to begin working there. This means (or so I'm told) that the core work is done, Blizzard is layering in the other teams to finish the game.

My coworker told me about Starcraft 2 not having LAN over a year ago, and said the Diablo 3 decision was in place before the game began production. Blizzard is going to give you every excuse they can, but the bottom line is that the purposely left the feature out of the games to combat piracy and FORCE gamers to you know ... buy their game.

Also, expect subscription tiers for Battle.net over the next 5 years eventually leading to no free to play model in the far future.

My sources are nothing I can directly link, so don't believe them if you don't want to. It doesn't matter to me who cares, all I know is I haven't been led incorrectly yet. I've met, and shaken hands with the man.

I have never pirated a game and your acusations are bullshit. Search my post and you will find I always defend the devolopers right to there property. I mentioned trunngle and hamachi as services I use to bybass crappy servers from game publishers. Thanks for the information though. Blizz will not be seeing a dime from me again.

Hear Hear. I agree totally. Have fun. Because in the end its all about the experiences.

In my late twenties. My younger brother is already married and I'm an uncle. I don't feel like I'm missing anything. Why does it matter to you?

It may not be for everyone, but in my mind they're the ones missing out. ;)

i agree with you on about no kids and marriage. my friend got engaged at 19. WTF?

In my late twenties. My younger brother is already married and I'm an uncle. I don't feel like I'm missing anything. Why does it matter to you?

It doesn't matter to me, I was just curious was all.

I did the LAN thing .. albeit years ago. I tend to think that life is about going through different phases, and you change as you age. I love geeking out as much as the next guy. I also loved slip and slides when I was 10. Nothing compares to the magic of being married to my best friend and looking into the eyes of my son.

You imply that others are the ones missing out, but I would say that if you went through your entire life without love, without experiencing the miracle of life and passing on your legacy ... I would say you missed out on the point of life. I would trade every video game in the world for 1 minute with my family. You are entitled to live your life as you choose, but what will be there for you when the LANs are gone?

Anyways, I can assure you that I am not missing out. :)

If you're happy, thats all that matters. My opinion shouldn't matter any more than yours. Opinions are like assholes, we all have them and they all stink.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter to me, I was just curious was all.

I did the LAN thing .. albeit years ago. I tend to think that life is about going through different phases, and you change as you age. I love geeking out as much as the next guy. I also loved slip and slides when I was 10. Nothing compares to the magic of being married to my best friend and looking into the eyes of my son.

You imply that others are the ones missing out, but I would say that if you went through your entire life without love, without experiencing the miracle of life and passing on your legacy ... I would say you missed out on the point of life. I would trade every video game in the world for 1 minute with my family. You are entitled to live your life as you choose, but what will be there for you when the LANs are gone?

Anyways, I can assure you that I am not missing out. :)

If you're happy, thats all that matters. My opinion shouldn't matter any more than yours. Opinions are like assholes, we all have them and they all stink.

Hey! No stealing my sig!

Who's to say my life will be one without love? I have plans for my life and those plans will require a good deal of finances. They won't allow for the some of the expenses a regular family endures, so I opt not to have one. As for children, the population of this world is pushing 7 billion now and we can't even take care of that many. Seeing as how I don't have a strong desire to create offspring I don't see myself adding to the population. My life is all about getting the most enjoyment as possible out of it. After all, I only live once. So, I focus on what brings me the most enjoyment.

Anyway, if we want to continue a discussion, lets do it in PMs. We've derailed the thread :X

As for Diablo 3, surprisingly enough I was never much of a Diablo fan, so I'll end up passing most likely. Starcraft 2 however... :D

I can't take any more Diablo 3 threads, every single time I see one of these I get anxious and start salivating! Not quite but still... This game is going to sell millions of copies regardless of lan support. I don't game as much as I used to, but I love having an avatar online to meet people with, show progress, pvp, ect. It's a nice thing to have when you've got some free time in between school/studies/more studies.

Battlenet is going to be pay to play. I am thinking they will charge anywhere from $5 a month to $10.

Battlenet is going to be pay to play. I am thinking they will charge anywhere from $5 a month to $10.

Since they said specifically that bnet will be free for SC2 and Diablo multiple times, would you care to cite your source, beyond making shit up?

Since they said specifically that bnet will be free for SC2 and Diablo multiple times, would you care to cite your source, beyond making shit up?

Its just speculation but when a company takes a away lan from two of its most played future BNET games it makes you wonder. They could always back step on their word and still make a killing in sales. Blizzard could say that due to the sheer number of players for Starcraft and Diablo 3 we would loose money unless we added a nominal fee for battlenet usage.

After looking at the WoW and how much money its bringing in monthly, I am sure they have the plans all in the works.

Its just speculation but when a company takes a away lan from two of its most played future BNET games it makes you wonder. They could always back step on their word and still make a killing in sales. Blizzard could say that due to the sheer number of players for Starcraft and Diablo 3 we would loose money unless we added a nominal fee for battlenet usage.

After looking at the WoW and how much money its bringing in monthly, I am sure they have the plans all in the works.

And since "you're sure", you have something besides your speculation that means it's true, when they've specifically addressed bullshit rumors like yours as untrue? You really think they would say "bnet is free for diablo 3 and sc2" then announce that it has become a paid service?

I think magic fairies are going to come grant me wishes tonight. I'm sure both of our "thoughts" will work out just fine.

Currently, they said it will be free but paying to play could happen. They could always think of a system were it's free but have an option where you pay to get extra features or some kind of benefits.

Currently, they said it will be free but paying to play could happen. They could always think of a system were it's free but have an option where you pay to get extra features or some kind of benefits.

Interesting thought, could it make it that people who do not pay can not host games.

Sure it could happen. The world could get hit by a huge comet tomorrow and kill everyone we know. But "could happen" doesn't mean likely will happen.

The world "could" end in 2012 according to that Mayan calendar myth/crap, but there's a better chance that it wont happen.

I know I read somewhere that Blizzard stated that battle.net would remain free... If I can find the link I'll let you guys know. I'm astutely aware that is a baseless comment right now but hopefully I can absolve that.

Most people have internet now, when you get on the lan to play you can just connect to battle.net.

Losing lan is not fun, but it was coming. Large lans will just need to support their players and get a connection for the games.

Back