Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

What various specs are you'll running with your Helltooth WD's?

At that time, two of us ran the Bear build, although now I run the Acid Cloud build. It's gotten even worse lately. The lag is just stupid at this point.

I had to put my HC WD on the shelf. Already lost one that was all decked out in best gear.

I had to put my HC WD on the shelf. Already lost one that was all decked out in best gear.

HC is kinda meh, especially with the ridiculous witch doctor lag. 2/3 HC deaths were due to the servers crashing, the last one was because the one jumping RG was able to fly around a corner, without me seeing him, and land on top of me. I'll take responsibility for the last one, since it was avoidable, but the others weren't which is why I just lost interest in HC.

Take off all paragon points from area damage, that fixes most of the lag on HT WDs at the cost of some damage (even though that damage is still bugged as some of the calculations are not applied).

Finally completed the Helltooth set for Witch Doctor today. It's funny how you get the first five pieces within a few days, but then are farming/crafting/using Bloodshards for almost two weeks in order to get the final piece. (In my case the boots) I'm very glad I got it though, it was definitely worth it.

Next step will be trying to get Ancient versions of my gear, which will likely be a long process.

It's always when you miss a piece that you won't find it. I've spent at least 10000 shards to find the belt of transcendence :mad::mad:

It's always when you miss a piece that you won't find it. I've spent at least 10000 shards to find the belt of transcendence :mad::mad:

I've leveled 3 seasonal toons so far. In my experience it takes 3-4 days or moderate play to get all the required pieces. Yes, the belt of transcendence took a while, but you can just try upgrading the rare belts instead of gambling with blood shards.

I've leveled 3 seasonal toons so far. In my experience it takes 3-4 days or moderate play to get all the required pieces. Yes, the belt of transcendence took a while, but you can just try upgrading the rare belts instead of gambling with blood shards.

Upgrading is definitely the way to go for weapons and rare non-set pieces. Blood shards are best used to get set pieces, and use the change set piece functionality to finish it off. Reforging legendaries is also a waste of time unless it's a super rare drop.

I gave my Ancient one to a buddy and he refuses to wear it because it is "too cookie cutter." I want to put a foot into his ass.

Upgrading is definitely the way to go for weapons and rare non-set pieces. Blood shards are best used to get set pieces, and use the change set piece functionality to finish it off. Reforging legendaries is also a waste of time unless it's a super rare drop.

Well, there are some cases where legendary reforge makes sense. For example, you can re-roll focus/restraint rings for another class (str->dex) and maybe get somewhat decent ones.
Or if you got the required non-set piece, but it has bad stats.

if you play seasonal Hardcore let me know, My friends and I are on all the time. doing hardcore makes the game much much more fun imho and keeps you in check. i play with like 3-4 friends and would love another message me @ kelly#1965
edit: ill powerlvl you pretty fast

You hardcore quys are insane :)

I die so much to over extending or just something one shots me out of the blue. I would shit freezbies if I lost my hero and I am non-seasonal!

I gave my Ancient one to a buddy and he refuses to wear it because it is "too cookie cutter." I want to put a foot into his ass.

LOL I'm non-seasonal but this makes me laugh. I tried very hard to go my on way... then last night I change a few pieces of gear out on my monk and went from struggling T9 to ripping T10. If your idea works someone has probably already hit the leaderboards with it.

LOL I'm non-seasonal but this makes me laugh. I tried very hard to go my on way... then last night I change a few pieces of gear out on my monk and went from struggling T9 to ripping T10. If your idea works someone has probably already hit the leaderboards with it.

It's the disappointing thing about have so many difficulty settings: anything works if you turn down the difficulty enough, but the number bloat at the higher difficulties makes only a few things viable.

Some players don't care about stuff like that, but I've always thought it was fun to take lesser-used or quirky or themed items and try to make a character that could clear content...but with the insane monster health bloat at the higher difficulties it basically just means that you'll go painfully slow if you aren't using the various pumped up sets - and even then there is crazy disparity!

I rolled an Archon Wiz this season and love the idea of a 2h-Wiz just smashing things in Archon form. Once I found Chantodo's though I realized that there was no comparison between even an ancient 2h and that set bonus; the killspeed was just too fun and the effect too great. Then I decided to try the revamped Helltooth set and realized my Wiz was totally, utterly, completely outclassed by WD - plus an ancient Scrimshaw is easy as fuck to get while an ancient Chantodo's Will is not so much. This new direction of set bonuses like +900% damage means that "going your own way" is probably best done in other ARPGs. Perhaps the no-class-sets grift achievements are a good way of bringing it back though.

You hardcore quys are insane :)

I die so much to over extending or just something one shots me out of the blue. I would shit freezbies if I lost my hero and I am non-seasonal!

I dislike perma-death, but I play HC, because the thing I hate more than perma-death are leechers. Playing public games in HC are horrible enough, but SC public games take terrible to a completely gawd-awful level for me. People who would barely try T2 in HC I see playing T7 or T8.

I find that when I play SC, my brain just turns off while I do stupid stuff like stand in arcane or molten blasts, and end up getting burnt out with the game after a couple days. The same just isn't true with HC where you need to be pretty aware at all times.

If there was a middle ground with a death penalty, rather than perma-death, where dying in a grift/rift would be grift/rift-over, I'd probably be playing that instead.

I dislike perma-death, but I play HC, because the thing I hate more than perma-death are leechers. Playing public games in HC are horrible enough, but SC public games take terrible to a completely gawd-awful level for me. People who would barely try T2 in HC I see playing T7 or T8.

I find that when I play SC, my brain just turns off while I do stupid stuff like stand in arcane or molten blasts, and end up getting burnt out with the game after a couple days. The same just isn't true with HC where you need to be pretty aware at all times.

If there was a middle ground with a death penalty, rather than perma-death, where dying in a grift/rift would be grift/rift-over, I'd probably be playing that instead.

You last point is spot on. I have always wondered why they do not add more events like bosses. They could add tons of these instances to the game, die and event over try again.

It's the disappointing thing about have so many difficulty settings: anything works if you turn down the difficulty enough, but the number bloat at the higher difficulties makes only a few things viable.

Some players don't care about stuff like that, but I've always thought it was fun to take lesser-used or quirky or themed items and try to make a character that could clear content...but with the insane monster health bloat at the higher difficulties it basically just means that you'll go painfully slow if you aren't using the various pumped up sets - and even then there is crazy disparity!

I rolled an Archon Wiz this season and love the idea of a 2h-Wiz just smashing things in Archon form. Once I found Chantodo's though I realized that there was no comparison between even an ancient 2h and that set bonus; the killspeed was just too fun and the effect too great. Then I decided to try the revamped Helltooth set and realized my Wiz was totally, utterly, completely outclassed by WD - plus an ancient Scrimshaw is easy as fuck to get while an ancient Chantodo's Will is not so much. This new direction of set bonuses like +900% damage means that "going your own way" is probably best done in other ARPGs. Perhaps the no-class-sets grift achievements are a good way of bringing it back though.

People wanted a way to "progress" so paragon was introduced. Then things got too easy once you had enough paragon. Then came grifts with infinite difficulty. Mathematically speaking eventually a single build will emerge as the top, whether its by 1% or 10%. Then everyone hears about it, switches to it, and then it's the new meta.

I see people saying all the time about how D2 or POE has much more build variety but AFAIK (not sure about POE) but there's no infinite difficulty scaling. If we were capped at T6 or T10, you could do all sorts of gimmicky builds to make things work. But with grift scaling that's just not possible/feasible for blizzard to fully "balance" every item, every set, every skill, every build to be usable in high grifts.

People wanted a way to "progress" so paragon was introduced. Then things got too easy once you had enough paragon. Then came grifts with infinite difficulty. Mathematically speaking eventually a single build will emerge as the top, whether its by 1% or 10%. Then everyone hears about it, switches to it, and then it's the new meta.

I see people saying all the time about how D2 or POE has much more build variety but AFAIK (not sure about POE) but there's no infinite difficulty scaling. If we were capped at T6 or T10, you could do all sorts of gimmicky builds to make things work. But with grift scaling that's just not possible/feasible for blizzard to fully "balance" every item, every set, every skill, every build to be usable in high grifts.

That's the problem (as I see it) with the infinite scaling: it's really just number bloat. Monsters get more health, monsters get more damage, so the next step in design is to ensure that the players get more health and damage. But that's why I said it's probably best left to other ARPGs: they don't use the infinite scaling model.

Actually, the above is fine until you look at the items and realize that only the sets and a few other legendaries are being updated enough to stay relevant in higher torments and grifts, which is ultimately where everyone wants to play. I guess the best that can be hoped for now is that they continue to pump out sets and skill-specific items like the various bracers, etc.

Yep I realized this really quickly. All this work on build diversity and stuff, just to ruin it all with OP set bonuses! All of a sudden you are pigeon-holed into whatever each set it designed for, ultimately leaving the game with far fewer build and gear diversity than has ever existed before!... blows my mind.

The no class Grift is currently suffering from an oversight that it only checks if you were under any class set bonuses when the RG dies, then it awards you the achievement.

So with some effort, you can do the Grift in your normal gear, then break the set pieces by dying to the RG with now health, then finish him off without set bonuses.

Also, Generator Monk doesn't use nearly as many set pieces (AFAIK it only uses 2 piece Raiments), rest are Generator boosters like Shenlong's, depth diggers, SS etc.

EDIT: For Archon Wiz, for it to be viable at higher Grifts, you NEED Chantodo's set (hence people refer to it as a 11 piece set, 6 Viz, 2 Chantodo's, F&R and the archon belt).

Purely from UE's point of view, not very.

His elemental is 3 times yours, but your multishot/EV would do, under most circumstances, at least 12 times higher than your sheet DPS would suggest, so your MS/EV would be 4 times as powerful.

Edit: He also doesn't have F&R, so your MS would be around 8x more powerful than his.

His gear, upon closer inspection, seems to be aimed at boosting his sheet DPS. His choice of Magefist, Balefire Caster, Holy Point shot (all rolls with +% fire) and using Traveler's Pledge/Compass Rose (for that 50% extra CHD) seem to confirm this.

Last edited:
The no class Grift is currently suffering from an oversight that it only checks if you were under any class set bonuses when the RG dies, then it awards you the achievement.

So with some effort, you can do the Grift in your normal gear, then break the set pieces by dying to the RG with now health, then finish him off without set bonuses.

Video proof? For as long as gRift has existed, you can't change equipment at all mid-gRift. If you could swap gear, there would be not exploits per se, but tons of swapping for sure giving a greater gear advantage (like, swapping amulets to gain elemental resist vs certain elites).

I never said anything about SWAPPING gear, I said BREAKING gear.

There is more than 1 way to deactivate a set effect, one of which does not involve touching your gear.

I can no longer repeat the feat because I already have the conquest done and will not show up anymore if I repeat it.

He's not saying you need to change equipment. Just break it. You kill everything (and most of the guardian's HP) with your set on. Then you die until your set is broken and give the guardian a love tap to finish him off.

One thing that actually pisses me off is that armor isn't repaired when going into a grift. I've had some 6X solo grifts where I was doing okay and then I die once and notice my gear's breaking because I forgot to repair it before going on.

I mean cooldowns and everything are reset so it'd be kinda nice if they gave you a repair while they were at it.

Edit: The heck, ninja'd by < 1 minute...

One thing that actually pisses me off is that armor isn't repaired when going into a grift. I've had some 6X solo grifts where I was doing okay and then I die once and notice my gear's breaking because I forgot to repair it before going on.

Amen to that.

I did that trick to get my Solo 40 with no set items, did as what was said earlier, die 8 times then do the Grift then die 2 more times for the items to break.
I just wore 5 of my pieces (took everything else off) went to an area and just died 8 times, put the rest of my gear on and opened the Grift and got to the Guardian, got him down to about 15% health and let him kill me 2 times, then killed him and got my achievement.

Finished all journey's finally last night. Found a pub group running 60's (damn miracle) and got my gems upgraded.

Reading above I found the getting to 40 with no set pieces easy with the WD. Never tried with a DH.

Last goal is to touch the leaderboard before ending my season. I haven't tried yet but I can clear 60 with minute or two to spare. Need a few more ancient pieces and should be set for ~65. I still have yet to find or make an ancient scrimshaw to try the bears build...

I had a good weekend with the 2x cache rewards. Finally got a RoRG this season (3 actually, typical) Really improved my rings, gloves, and belt. Cleared GRift 47 solo last night. New record for me. Not bad for Paragon 370. Hoping to get to 50 solo soon.

Your Yang's is good, but you don't need IAS. For soloing you'd be better off with LPH or vitality. For groups, roll elite damage. On your wraps... well yeah the vitality is nice for solo, but you're missing 20% fire damage. On your helm, you really should not have rerolled the dex. You need crit chance on it. On your belt, IAS is again kind of useless. Also consider using a hunter's belt instead. I would suggest rolling your belt's IAS for vitality and then on your wraps rerolling the vitality for %fire. Your shoes need multishot damage. On your gloves, change the IAS for RCR. On your quiver, change the hate regen to RCR.

You're also missing a boatload of burst damage by not using Convention of Elements as your ring choice.

Change your armor cube to Cindercoat.

Basically, follow this guide:
http://www.icy-veins.com/d3/demon-hunter-multishot-fire-build-and-yangs-recurve-patch-2-3

I never said anything about SWAPPING gear, I said BREAKING gear.

There is more than 1 way to deactivate a set effect, one of which does not involve touching your gear.

I can no longer repeat the feat because I already have the conquest done and will not show up anymore if I repeat it.

Ah. Misread. I ended up doing this achievement a while back the "intended" way. I didn't find it to be that hard. Nor the doing 3 different sets achievement at 40 either.

Already completed all the journey achievements a bit ago too.

Question about cross platform.

I currently have Diablo 3 for PC but want to pick it up for xbone 1 to play with my girlfriend. Can I play my PC characters on xbone 1? Then when I want to go back to playing on PC, my Xbone 1 characters to PC?

So basically that achievement is only respectable in HC.

Actually of all of the conquests, the only Achievement I find that is 'respectable' is the TX in 2 mins, HC or otherwise.

However, I do know that not many people actually know about breaking sets for that achievement, most likely because they either don't know, already did it, thought it's more tedious than doing properly or simply thought it was a bug. Given my limited understanding of programming, I don't see how a bug would cause the game to check set effects at RG death rather than at any other point in the Grift (namely at the very start of it). An easy way to correct this is make the grift to automatically repair your gear completely upon entering.

Actually of all of the conquests, the only Achievement I find that is 'respectable' is the TX in 2 mins, HC or otherwise.

However, I do know that not many people actually know about breaking sets for that achievement, most likely because they either don't know, already did it, thought it's more tedious than doing properly or simply thought it was a bug. Given my limited understanding of programming, I don't see how a bug would cause the game to check set effects at RG death rather than at any other point in the Grift (namely at the very start of it). An easy way to correct this is make the grift to automatically repair your gear completely upon entering.

I'd say completing a grift 60 in HC is also respectable. I'd say it's harder to do that than it is to do the TX in 2 minutes on SC. That's because there are absolutely no public grift games going on in HC. The TX in 2 minute challenge in HC though is probably the hardest conquest of the season. There's a reason why there are fewer than 75 people who've done it in the America's, whereas in SC, they already have the 1000 places filled up. Rather than doing bounties, I spent all weekend attempting it, finally completing the conquest on Sunday. All the conquests are now complete, so I probably won't be playing much until season 5.

I'd say completing a grift 60 in HC is also respectable. I'd say it's harder to do that than it is to do the TX in 2 minutes on SC. That's because there are absolutely no public grift games going on in HC. The TX in 2 minute challenge in HC though is probably the hardest conquest of the season. There's a reason why there are fewer than 75 people who've done it in the America's, whereas in SC, they already have the 1000 places filled up. Rather than doing bounties, I spent all weekend attempting it, finally completing the conquest on Sunday. All the conquests are now complete, so I probably won't be playing much until season 5.

Then wouldn't the Guardian portrait be even better since it requires solo Grift 60 rather than any 60 for conquest?

Hot Damn... Only took me like 10k blood shards (estimating low) and at minimum 500 deaths breaths upgradeing rare rings in the cube to finally get a halo of arlese..

Now time to learn how to actually play this archon build since I have all the parts.

Then wouldn't the Guardian portrait be even better since it requires solo Grift 60 rather than any 60 for conquest?

IMHO, even completing a 60 in HC is far harder than soloing a 60 in SC. In order to get your gems to the level for a grift 60, you need to have never died. We're talking hours and hours of quality play here. In SC, I can just level up the gems by going with a group decked out in glass cannon builds, level my gems fairly high, and 60 becomes a piece of cake to solo. If I die while leveling the gems, it only costs me a few seconds. In HC, you lose hours. Not that power leveling is difficult, as you can get back to 70 in like 15 minutes. But you lose all that gear, and have to respend hours getting your gems back to an acceptable level, which is fairly tedious, even if you can one shot enemies in a grift. IMHO, SC is all about finding the perfect gear. HC is about finding gear that's just good enough.

My characters are far stronger in HC than SC in both offense and defense, yet I've soloed 60 in SC, and have yet to get beyond 57 solo in HC. In SC, I can just rush forward to the next big group of whites. This isn't necessarily true in HC. I have to pay attention to what elites I'm dragging behind, because if I run into the wrong elite while moving forward, I'm dead. Not 5 seconds of annoyance dead, but lost everything on this character dead. For me, the equivalent grift for SC is at minimum HC+10.

Your Yang's is good, but you don't need IAS. For soloing you'd be better off with LPH or vitality. For groups, roll elite damage. On your wraps... well yeah the vitality is nice for solo, but you're missing 20% fire damage. On your helm, you really should not have rerolled the dex. You need crit chance on it. On your belt, IAS is again kind of useless. Also consider using a hunter's belt instead. I would suggest rolling your belt's IAS for vitality and then on your wraps rerolling the vitality for %fire. Your shoes need multishot damage. On your gloves, change the IAS for RCR. On your quiver, change the hate regen to RCR.

You're also missing a boatload of burst damage by not using Convention of Elements as your ring choice.

Change your armor cube to Cindercoat.

Basically, follow this guide:
http://www.icy-veins.com/d3/demon-hunter-multishot-fire-build-and-yangs-recurve-patch-2-3

Thanks a lot for this help. This is the kind of stuff that's hard to learn on your own and without experience. I usually group with a couple friends of mine and we're all kinda noob. I appreciate the advice and I'm going to make all the suggestions I can. I'll look for better pieces on the ones I screwed up.

EDIT: Good god, made those changes and the damage increase is absolutely insane. I'm bursting up to 1.9 billion now. It's madness. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Back