Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

Could be a bad network node causing your connection to lag/drop. Try running a couple trace routes to the Diablo 3 servers and post your results:

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/performing-a-traceroute

So open a command window and type tracert 12.129.209.68 and hit enter. It'll take a minute to get there and then you can just copy and paste it here (or use their text file method if you prefer).

I've been having issues as well, random lagging every few minutes or so. Game would pause but I can still walk around and then the game un-pauses and I pop back to where I was when it first paused.

My trace looks like something is wrong, right?
tracert.jpg

I've been having issues as well, random lagging every few minutes or so. Game would pause but I can still walk around and then the game un-pauses and I pop back to where I was when it first paused.

My trace looks like something is wrong, right?

Yes, the trace is supposed to arrive at the destination, usually identifying a problem hop along the way. Yours times out at 12.123.250.117, which is an AT&T backbone router in Kansas. A search doesn't really bring up any definitive answers for this problem, but other people with similar trace routes (timing out at that AT&T node) seem to have had packet loss problems.

Oddly enough, this also happened last year around this very same time and the offender was an AT&T datacenter that was overloaded with traffic due to pushing out iOS updates. We basically had to wait for everyone's damn iPhones to get updated and then it went back to normal.

If you don't think this is a temporary issue you can try this other method of tracing your ping, although I haven't used it before: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/16542954690#5.

You could always try the latency fix... i used to use it for WoW and noticed a positive difference, though I'm not sure if it's still applicable, or applicable to D3. For me at least--any problems with blizzard games i experience with ALL blizzard games.

I have the same weird stuttering in Hearthstone, HoTS, and SC3 as i do in D3.

http://www.leatrix.com/leatrix-latency-fix

Thanks for the link. I already installed it a while back but I've been meaning to copy it to my backup drive etc.

That sucks the downclock didn't help. I'd try Reus's fix next....

Let us know how it goes!

(Glitchy BS like stutter drives me CURAZY)

Just to clarify, the three options I changed in the nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > Program Settings > Diablo III (diabloiii.exe) are:

Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration set to Single display performance mode

Power management mode set to Prefer maximum performance

Vertical Sync set to Adaptive

Remember to disable Vsync and uncheck the max foreground and background FPS in game. This worked on a GTX 670 and 970 under Windows 8.1. For some reason it wouldn't work when my wife's system was running a GTX 760 under Windows 7. It will still jerk around occasionally but this solved 99% of that for us. My 290X was simply a matter of running it in Fullscreen Windowed mode and disabling the max FPS crap in game.

S3 has been a workout trying to keep up with clan Barb players. Ran with Jeremiah last night in 30's rifts and he was flying through with my DH straining to catch up.

It's been nice to play with the various clan members so far this season. Good to see a variety of builds again. I'm currently running the DH RoV build and with 3+ billion crits on mediocre gear, it's quite entertaining.

In fairness, as far as I know, it's always been that way in D3. Barbs and other melee classes with damage reduction have always been able to run past things whereas the DH with limited mitigation (the only mitigation really being moving out of enemies reach) have always had this problem. DH was my first class in classic. I always had to "full clear" before moving forward, because it's impossible to shoot while getting hit, and also survive.

Builds using some sort of perma-invinceability and/or damage reduction have basically always been nerfed by Blizzard.

Snowman and I stumbled upon this Cow Rift with the Lord of Bells at the end,
d3-lord%20of%20bells.jpg

I was also playing with some items the other day with my normal character and was able to get past 10K Dex.
d3-24milltoughness.jpg

I also hit a cow rift last week, 7 levels of all cows with the lord of bells as the Boss. Have a ton of fun...

I have that belt, but don't use Steady Aim, Zei's Stone of Vengeance, nor this ring... so you basically have to wait until the bonus is on the right one before you cast your moves?

Biggest RoV crit i've seen, with the belt, is 800m... but then again i'm not using a socket in my weapon. Still waiting for one of these fuckin "gift" items to drop, sigh.

The ring is on constant rotation of phy, fire, cold and lightning. (arcane and poison don't rotate since they aren't class capable). Generally I can get 3-4 RoV shots in a full ring attribute rotation so 1 out of those 3-4 get the big boost. That doesn't sound very good but when it hits it levels the enemy its going against. That said, I'm using it until I can find a good focus/rest combo.

In fairness, as far as I know, it's always been that way in D3. Barbs and other melee classes with damage reduction have always been able to run past things whereas the DH with limited mitigation (the only mitigation really being moving out of enemies reach) have always had this problem. DH was my first class in classic. I always had to "full clear" before moving forward, because it's impossible to shoot while getting hit, and also survive.

Oh yeah I know the Barb class has always been fast. I was more commenting on the speed that folks like yourself play and I have finger fatigue from mouse clicking vault trying to keep up. I am always in full clear mode as some of the best legs I've found are from jars or completely random drops from mobs. Plus, if any leaper or something I leave straggling behind, as you said, would wipe me out in higher grifts.

<snip>

Definitely a first for me. Had no clue what that portal was initially that resulted in the bonus experience from the jars of souls map. Thanks for running last night, was fun.

Hmm, how did the cow portal pop up?

The rift started as all others do. We killed about 20 normal enemies then we came to a interaction character and a red portal which brought us to the map where Jar of Souls is completed normally. Inside we had to fight a timed constant wave of cows and each one we killed gave us the reward of boosted experience. Example: I am para low 200's and we killed 125 cows which resulted in 2.5 para levels for me. When the event ended we continued through the map battling nothing but cows. I got 3 leg drops through the entire 8 levels we did so it doesn't seem that you have extra drop chance in the cow secret level or whatever it's called.

The rift started as all others do. We killed about 20 normal enemies then we came to a interaction character and a red portal which brought us to the map where Jar of Souls is completed normally. Inside we had to fight a timed constant wave of cows and each one we killed gave us the reward of boosted experience. Example: I am para low 200's and we killed 125 cows which resulted in 2.5 para levels for me. When the event ended we continued through the map battling nothing but cows. I got 3 leg drops through the entire 8 levels we did so it doesn't seem that you have extra drop chance in the cow secret level or whatever it's called.

I wish they'd make Jar of Souls an A1 Bounty. I love that event ^_^ Can't wait until I get a cow portal.

I killed a goblin and he left a Whimseysomethingorother portal which lead me to a place that looked exactly like Whimseyshire. But it was not called that. Couldn't find anything remarkable about the place, is there supposed to be?

That sounds awesome...hopefully I see that soon. Haven't had very good luck on special events so far, paragon ~320 and only one goblin portal.

I wish they'd make Jar of Souls an A1 Bounty. I love that event ^_^ Can't wait until I get a cow portal.

I killed a goblin and he left a Whimseysomethingorother portal which lead me to a place that looked exactly like Whimseyshire. But it was not called that. Couldn't find anything remarkable about the place, is there supposed to be?

Pretty sure I've done Jar as an A1 bounty. Also gotten that rainbow goblin; was wondering the same thing but I don't think so. Whimyshire and/or the rainbow portal still seem pretty lame.

Just to clarify, the three options I changed in the nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > Program Settings > Diablo III (diabloiii.exe) are:

Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration set to Single display performance mode

Power management mode set to Prefer maximum performance

Vertical Sync set to Adaptive

Remember to disable Vsync and uncheck the max foreground and background FPS in game. This worked on a GTX 670 and 970 under Windows 8.1. For some reason it wouldn't work when my wife's system was running a GTX 760 under Windows 7. It will still jerk around occasionally but this solved 99% of that for us. My 290X was simply a matter of running it in Fullscreen Windowed mode and disabling the max FPS crap in game.
Wanted to try this yesterday but didn't have a chance to game. Looking forward to trying this tonight... it sounds hopeful!

Builds using some sort of perma-invinceability and/or damage reduction have basically always been nerfed by Blizzard.
I've always disliked how they did that with melee classes in D3. Very lazy approach to melee's ability to survive, but that was done by the original team who brought us the original D3 (lol). I'd wager that whoever is working on the game now would not have done that to begin with, but now it's just how things are. I bought this expansion and didn't play it forever, but after having finally been convinced to give it another shot I'm quite surprised at how good the game is now. This is how it should have been to begin with.
The ring is on constant rotation of phy, fire, cold and lightning. (arcane and poison don't rotate since they aren't class capable). Generally I can get 3-4 RoV shots in a full ring attribute rotation so 1 out of those 3-4 get the big boost. That doesn't sound very good but when it hits it levels the enemy its going against. That said, I'm using it until I can find a good focus/rest combo.
Ah okay. I just got it and it seemed like a pita to use. But i guess if you just take whatever bonus happens to land on your moves, it's no big deal.

Sorry I haven't been on with you and Snowman since this new season has started. I've been super swamped at work lately. You guys be online this weekend? I may be able to get back on for a bit then.

Sorry I haven't been on with you and Snowman since this new season has started. I've been super swamped at work lately. You guys be online this weekend? I may be able to get back on for a bit then.

I'll probably be on this weekend.

Why is it that everyone runs the complete rift? If it were up to me we'd just get the guardian and open a new rift so you can get as many GR keys as possible. It's not like you'd ever run out of Rift Key Fragments...

Goblins and chance for more legendaries. If you wanted to maximize blood shard farming or farming in general you'd probably be better off either running 35-41 speed grifts.

Goblins and chance for more legendaries. If you wanted to maximize blood shard farming or farming in general you'd probably be better off either running 35-41 speed grifts.

That was my thinking. Get GR keys as quickly as possible to do these GR Speed runs.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Zetro-1371/hero/60284110

Question as I run Seasonal Hardcore which obviously is a different beast to Softcore in terms of builds.

I am starting to get together a good build with the Magnum Opus 6-set but am curious on some ideas on where I should go to make it even better. I have not been lucky enough to get an ancient 2-hander yet (tons of 1-handers) but think I am going in the right direction.

Thoughts?

Why is it that everyone runs the complete rift? If it were up to me we'd just get the guardian and open a new rift so you can get as many GR keys as possible. It's not like you'd ever run out of Rift Key Fragments...

Depends on who you're running with and what you're trying to do. But I generally do "speed runs" now on T6 Rifts. No need to full clear. I'll probably do what was mentioned just after your post here as well: just run 35ish gRift instead after I just have tons of keys.

I believe what you're seeing is a couple of different types of ARPG player:

- You've got the "efficiency" player who wants to play the game a certain way to maximize bloodshards - because anything else is wasted effort and a waste of time.

- You've got the "loot hunter" player who wants to go questing and have the thrill of seeing that special item drop, finding a blood goblin or goblin pack, etc.

There's really no guarantee that you'll even find anything after a Rift Guardian is dead, nor is there a reason you wouldn't find just as many goblins on the way to a RG as you would afterward since it's all randomly generated, but the idea that the item/goblin you're looking for could be just off screen waiting for you has been a big part of the addictive ARPG gameplay for a long time. For the most part, you aren't going to find what you're looking for, but that one time you decide to check out the next stage and find a goblin pack makes it all worth it (even if doesn't really :p ).

Personally, I identify more with the "loot hunter" description above. I know that it's often more efficient to play the game a certain way, using certain skills, etc., but I often have much less fun doing it that way, which defeats the purpose of playing. Taking a systematic approach to the game starts to give me that treadmill feeling instead of enjoying what I'm doing, and that feeling gets compounded when you make your trip to Kadala and get nothing. Again.

I generally find more legendaries after the guardian since some of the runs are so short, just a few minutes with one or two fast melee guys running with me.
I end up just running behind picking up stuff since they are so fast and seem to one shot ever thing.

I just have goals that I'm aiming for, and I want GR's as fast as i can to level gems. I'm sure my tune will change after i dump more at kadala and not get what i want lol

Cause it's where loot drops. And anyone with good gear can clear it fast. I am using Nat's set on my Demon Hunter. I can probably clear a rift in under 3 minutes.. Depending on layout.

Cause it's where loot drops. And anyone with good gear can clear it fast. I am using Nat's set on my Demon Hunter. I can probably clear a rift in under 3 minutes.. Depending on layout.

But loot also drops from GR bosses, plus blood shards in abundance, plus gem leveling.

Best thing when running rifts is to make sure everyone is one the same page regarding clears or reset after RG. That way there isn't any confusion about it. Personally I have no problem with either as long as I know what to expect.

I complete the rifts entirely because my OCD doesn't allow for things to not be completed fully.

Only exceptions to this is if the map after the RG is one I hate or if the area left unexplored would take longer to get to than clear. Then the aggravation vs time invested vs reward me kicks in...

:eek::(:eek:

I complete the rifts entirely because my OCD doesn't allow for things to not be completed fully.

Only exceptions to this is if the map after the RG is one I hate or if the area left unexplored would take longer to get to than clear. Then the aggravation vs time invested vs reward me kicks in...

:eek::(:eek:

I always find my legendary items after the guardian is dead.

Back