Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

My bro has a crusader that can tank face and spin hammers doing massive damage.

It is a legit build and I can't wait to do mine.

Also a PSA: He and I know how to power level heroes pretty well. We have two left from level one.

Might be doing my crusader in the near future (he will carry me, I just got done carrying his crusader) if anyone wants to come a long for the ride. We did 42-68 in about two hours, I am assuming that 1-70 would take just north of 3.

Also a PSA: He and I know how to power level heroes pretty well. We have two left from level one.

Might be doing my crusader in the near future (he will carry me, I just got done carrying his crusader) if anyone wants to come a long for the ride. We did 42-68 in about two hours, I am assuming that 1-70 would take just north of 3.

I would very much like to get in on this, when are you planning on doing it?

Those are extremely situational compared to the Wizard ones.

I really wish they'd remove/rework the damage buff active-skills of the wizards. Typically it's the most optimal to get familiar and magic weapon going wince you only really need one ap spender anyway. If we were free of this obligation, i might actually have teleport on my bar, and who knows what else. That'd be more fun.

I'd like in on this too. I am "Itachi" in-game in our clan. Let me know when ur doing it.

I really wish they'd remove/rework the damage buff active-skills of the wizards. Typically it's the most optimal to get familiar and magic weapon going wince you only really need one ap spender anyway. If we were free of this obligation, i might actually have teleport on my bar, and who knows what else. That'd be more fun.

Most people just don't realize how much damage Familiar does.

Magic Missile Charged Blast = 240%
Familiar Cannoneer = 240%
Total attack = 480%

For something that doesn't have a resource cost this is just crazy amounts of damage which can't be matched by other classes. If you are fighting a boss toss in blizzard and Hydra and the damage is just off the hook.

not sure the removal of critical mass was a good thing for the wizard as skills like archon are impractical because of the cool down.

as it stands the only wizard skills I don't put into regular rotation are Mirror Image, Slow time, archon, and energy twister......Which is pretty good.

The monk is the best for useful skills though as Inner sanctuary is pretty much the only skill I don't use...though blinding flash and breath of heaven took a hit in usefulness.

I use a full arcane build and with the inclusion of +% elemental type damage, archon is just so op. 48% crit and 33% ias basically just means when its down I can kite 2-4 elite packs, find a shrine to pop with my nemesis bracers and just go to town.

The return of the Hammerdin! A go-to back in the Diablo2 days.

Power-leveling isn't really that difficult anymore since the patch. Start as level 1, create game on Torment 6, have 70 friend join, you go 1-60 in about an hour and depending on the gear of your helper you can get the last 10 levels pretty quick as well.

Most people just don't realize how much damage Familiar does.

Magic Missile Charged Blast = 240%
Familiar Cannoneer = 240%
Total attack = 480%

Are you sure this is how it works? I didn't think Familiar procs on every attack.

It matches your attacks per second speed, I thought, which would align well with any resource builder a wizard has.

It matches your attacks per second speed, I thought, which would align well with any resource builder a wizard has.

I was using Electrocute with a certain rune that attacks really fast. Right when the patch hit the familiar was shooting with every cast of this signature spell. I think they did a silent nerf because this doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

Either that, or i was high. /shrug

I was using Electrocute with a certain rune that attacks really fast. Right when the patch hit the familiar was shooting with every cast of this signature spell. I think they did a silent nerf because this doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

Either that, or i was high. /shrug

They did hotfix to cap at 2.0 aps, from what I understand.

I noticed the same thing...the familiar does not appear to fire off as fast as the signature spells do.

They did hotfix to cap at 2.0 aps, from what I understand.

Yep they did mention what they were doing on the forums. 2 APS is still pretty fast for what it is.

I've been playing a lot of Crusader the past few days and decided to switch over to my Barb and level him up to 70. After getting a taste of Avalanche, already having access to Earthquake, and seeing the passive Sword & Board I gotta wonder what the hell they were thinking when they OK'd the Crusader for release: he's AWFUL compared to the Barb.

Avalanche has a 30 second CD, big damage, interesting rune choices (including holding 3 charges), a built-in way to reduce the cooldown, and even a passive that gives you 30 fury when you use it. Bombardment has a 60-second cooldown and...a passive that reduces it by 20 seconds; no extra uses, a minute of downtime unless you blow a passive on it, and a lot of the time it won't even hit enemies if they move a bit.

How is it that the Barb got S&B for a passive - in addition to all the other nice resource gen passives - and the Crusader got only Righteousness to increase resource gen out of the entire batch?

Yep they did mention what they were doing on the forums. 2 APS is still pretty fast for what it is.

I've been playing a lot of Crusader the past few days and decided to switch over to my Barb and level him up to 70. After getting a taste of Avalanche, already having access to Earthquake, and seeing the passive Sword & Board I gotta wonder what the hell they were thinking when they OK'd the Crusader for release: he's AWFUL compared to the Barb.

Avalanche has a 30 second CD, big damage, interesting rune choices (including holding 3 charges), a built-in way to reduce the cooldown, and even a passive that gives you 30 fury when you use it. Bombardment has a 60-second cooldown and...a passive that reduces it by 20 seconds; no extra uses, a minute of downtime unless you blow a passive on it, and a lot of the time it won't even hit enemies if they move a bit.

How is it that the Barb got S&B for a passive - in addition to all the other nice resource gen passives - and the Crusader got only Righteousness to increase resource gen out of the entire batch?

Bombardment does more damage... Both pale in comparison to meteor.

Either way, they're very different - but only if Crusader isn't treated as melee. Having both at 70 with comparable stats (~450k dmg, 7-8m toughness unbuffed), the crusader gets the win in my book.

Bombardment does more damage... Both pale in comparison to meteor.

Either way, they're very different - but only if Crusader isn't treated as melee. Having both at 70 with comparable stats (~450k dmg, 7-8m toughness unbuffed), the crusader gets the win in my book.

Can't really agree with that when resource generation is such a nightmare, particularly when the spenders do such lousy damage. Any boss or 1v1 scenario takes forever. I've got The Moral Drama and it's nice having double bombardment hits, but unless your initial strike kills the boss/pack you're stuck waiting around for it to become available again.

I can use sweep for 400% damage a few times and then be totally out of wrath, or I can use HotA a few times for 500-640% damage with a great chance to crit, and passives/utility skills that will keep feeding me fury. With nothing like Leap, Ground Stomp, or Furious Charge in his skillset (utility + generator) the Crusader just feels gimpy whenever you don't have a one of a few certain skills available, namely: Condemn, Heaven's Fury, or Bombardment.

Well part of the problem is the bad quality of 2-handers.

The idea of the Crusader is to be a tank bomb. You take hits then drop the bombs.

But the reliance on Life per hit and the low damage of 2-handers diminishes the usefulness.

Here is my typical build
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/crusader#aeliPO!aSbW!aZZZcY

I use a 2 hander so the 4 abilities with cool downs do more damage then 1 handers.
1680% over 6 seconds - 20 second cd
1160% - 15 Second cd
2 avatars - 30 second cd
3320% - 60 second cd.

This build would be very good if A) they brought back life steal as life on hit is too attack speed dependent and B) better 2 handed weapons.

I'm planning on building as much CD reduction as possible to see if that makes the class better....If I can get 50% reduction I think I might come close the damage output of the other classes.

Can anyone give me some pointers on my monk? He's 69 now and elites are beginning to get a bit scary on Expert.

My build:
Way of the Hundred Fists - Fists of Fury (not really sure why I use this, suggestions?)
Dashing Strike - Quicksilver / Barrage (LOVE this skill would like to keep)
Serenity (a life-saver on hardcore, don't think I can afford to drop this. Rune suggestion?)
Seven-sided Strike - Fulminating Onslaught (seems to melt Elites and I like its style but maybe something better here?)
Sweeping Wind - Blade Storm (my only real AoE and it's low maintenance so I use it but don't mind swapping this out for something)
Mantra of Healing - Boon of Inspiration (my gear sucks so the Life on Hit helps out)

Near Death Experience (dying would be bad on HC)
One With Everything (helps my gimp resists)
Resolve (I really don't know what to use here)

I know my build probably sucks since it's just a mix of crap I like to use. The only skills I'm really attached to are Dashing Strike, Serenity, and Seven-sided Strike. Is there a build I can center around these three skills?

Can anyone give me some pointers on my monk? He's 69 now and elites are beginning to get a bit scary on Expert.

My build:
Way of the Hundred Fists - Fists of Fury (not really sure why I use this, suggestions?)
Dashing Strike - Quicksilver / Barrage (LOVE this skill would like to keep)
Serenity (a life-saver on hardcore, don't think I can afford to drop this. Rune suggestion?)
Seven-sided Strike - Fulminating Onslaught (seems to melt Elites and I like its style but maybe something better here?)
Sweeping Wind - Blade Storm (my only real AoE and it's low maintenance so I use it but don't mind swapping this out for something)
Mantra of Healing - Boon of Inspiration (my gear sucks so the Life on Hit helps out)

Near Death Experience (dying would be bad on HC)
One With Everything (helps my gimp resists)
Resolve (I really don't know what to use here)

I know my build probably sucks since it's just a mix of crap I like to use. The only skills I'm really attached to are Dashing Strike, Serenity, and Seven-sided Strike. Is there a build I can center around these three skills?

try lashing tail kick...other that pretty solid.

I wouldn't worry about being able to do a difficulty until you hit 70. Just play on whatever you can handle efficiently to get there.

Can't really agree with that when resource generation is such a nightmare, particularly when the spenders do such lousy damage. Any boss or 1v1 scenario takes forever. I've got The Moral Drama and it's nice having double bombardment hits, but unless your initial strike kills the boss/pack you're stuck waiting around for it to become available again.

I can use sweep for 400% damage a few times and then be totally out of wrath, or I can use HotA a few times for 500-640% damage with a great chance to crit, and passives/utility skills that will keep feeding me fury. With nothing like Leap, Ground Stomp, or Furious Charge in his skillset (utility + generator) the Crusader just feels gimpy whenever you don't have a one of a few certain skills available, namely: Condemn, Heaven's Fury, or Bombardment.

I guess, but I don't use any of the melee skills. Note what I said earlier about melee and Crusader.

Can anyone give me some pointers on my monk?

You don't seem to have any sort of elemental focus. Do you have any +% Elemental Damage gear? If so, you might want to build around that a bit.

WotHF-FoF is solid, but again, re-evaluate based on your +% Elemental Damage.

I love the Unwelcome Disturbance rune with Serenity. Adds three nice novas during the duration of Serenity. Otherwise, Ascension is always solid for the extra second of invulnerability.

Also a big fan of Dashing Strike - Barrage. The mini-SSS at the end is great.

Personally, I'd only run Sweeping Wind in combination with Cyclone Strike and a fairly high Crit %.

I'd maybe consider swapping out Sweeping Wind for Mystic Ally - Fire Ally. It's an extra, unkillable target for enemies and boosts your damage by 10%. Plus, you can activate him for some extra burst damage.

Mantra of Healing - Boon of Inspiration is solid, especially if you've got a fairly high attack speed. Probably want to dual wield with that. Otherwise, Time of Need for across the board 20% damage reduction works well too.

Give Lashing Tail Kick a try with the various runes. I'd probably swap SSS for it since that's your current Spirit spender. If you like it and can find some decent support gear, it might be worth redoing your whole build around supporting it, as it can be pretty devastating if you've got a build and gear to support it.

Oh, and assuming you're not in hardcore, I'd swap out Near Death Experience for Seize the Initiative, at least until you get to level 70 and gear up a bit. Some gold is really the only penalty for dying, so don't worry about it too much.

I wouldn't worry about being able to do a difficulty until you hit 70. Just play on whatever you can handle efficiently to get there.

Great advice. Until you hit 70, your only goal is to get to 70 and get through all of the Acts.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm just one level from 70 which is why I wanted to make sure I had a solid build to get used to before I dinged. Would suck to die right after hitting 70 and lose my character cause I didn't spend any time learning the build :). I shall give lashing tail a try and hopefully get some decent drops to focus on an elemental damage type.

Any recommendations for the passive skills other than NDE and OWE? I'll have two slots with no idea what to put in them.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm just one level from 70 which is why I wanted to make sure I had a solid build to get used to before I dinged. Would suck to die right after hitting 70 and lose my character cause I didn't spend any time learning the build :). I shall give lashing tail a try and hopefully get some decent drops to focus on an elemental damage type.

Any recommendations for the passive skills other than NDE and OWE? I'll have two slots with no idea what to put in them.

So you are HC? Yeah, definitely keep Near Death Experience then.

I'd also definitely keep OWE. Just want to stack a single resist then.

One build I had for my monk that I really liked (was running with ~40% crit chance and big crit damage):

WotHF - FoF rune
Cyclone Strike with reduced spirit cost (cant remember the name)
Serenity - Ascension for those panic moments
Exploding Palm - Burning Essence rune
Sweeping Wind - Cyclone
Mantra of Conviction - Overawe -

I dont remember the passives I used - I think it was OWE, StI, and Exhaulted Soul I think...

Walk into the middle of the group and start sweeping wind. WotHF to get it up to lvl 3 to get cyclones going.
Exploding Palm one or two of them to get them burning.
Cyclone Strike to pull in a bunch of mobs, crit a few of them and get some cyclones out and damage the burning ones
Beat on the burners for a second or two and they explode, catching the entire group on fire and usually causing crits on about half which sends out a flurry of cyclones. As they all start to drain down, I'd cyclone strike one or two more times to finish them off in a huge chain reaction of explosions (which catches others on fire) and over and over and over again.
By the time I am done the screen is full of 20-30 cyclones and fire and bodies.

It was good fun. Worked decently through T1. Started to become less effective in T2 due to not being geared high enough and not enough damage to kill them off before the EP effect wore off.

ZRy0RzJ.png

Rerolled the Vitality into the socket. Battlenet failed at showing that in the image. Wonder what Crusader build I can make around that? How do 2hnder Crusaders hang with Whirlwind Barbarians? They make me sad in the pants when I play public games.

ZRy0RzJ.png

Rerolled the Vitality into the socket. Battlenet failed at showing that in the image. Wonder what Crusader build I can make around that? How do 2hnder Crusaders hang with Whirlwind Barbarians? They make me sad in the pants when I play public games.

Use the passive that allows a shield with 2 hander's and that should be quite a tank.

ZRy0RzJ.png

Very interesting that it says "Legendary 2 Handed Sword" but in the top right it says 1 handed.

It probably says 1 hander because he has the passive on that turns it into a 1 hander.

That is about 200 dps higher then mine and should work pretty well if you can get around 700k DPS.

But you'd still have issues fighting white mobs at the same speed of other classes...but bosses and ubers you should be able to hand just as good.

Does anyone have a more "active" wizard build. I followed one online where I use enchanted (magic) weapon with + damage, Familiar with +damage, Archon with damage increase, Frozen Orb, Magic missle with freezing rune... Energy Armor with damage boost. Its pretty much just spamming frozen orb and magic missle in combat except when you pop archon, kinda boring

Does anyone have a more "active" wizard build. I followed one online where I use enchanted (magic) weapon with + damage, Familiar with +damage, Archon with damage increase, Frozen Orb, Magic missle with freezing rune... Energy Armor with damage boost. Its pretty much just spamming frozen orb and magic missle in combat except when you pop archon, kinda boring

that's the problem with wizard. The most effective builds have 0-1 signature moves, 1 AP spender, 1-2 defense moves, and the rest damage buffs.

If you want some more fun, you'll have to sacrifice the damage buffs. You can get other moves which are not a damage buff but will do great damage, like Meteor - Molten Impact, or a Hydra, or Blizzard, etc.

That's Wizard in a nutshell...

I've even replaced Archon with magic weapon. My Wizard has +84% fire dmg and with Archon being arcane, I simply tossed it. I'm running 3 buffs, teleport, magic missile, and fire wave of force. The "active" part is just positioning and running around I guess. I also have the 2 handed sword linked earlier in this thread with the chance to summon the demonic slave. He's super fun to use (and extremely powerful), so that fills in the monotony.

I got 3 legendary items within like 5 mins... two of them were almost back to back.. but the the two last ones that were back to back were not attributed for my class.. armor with strength and other stuff not great for a wiz... I upgraded the item mod lady to level 12 so I can mod legendary items. I need that one ingredient that you can only get by salvaging legendary items... so I tried a few I had in my stash that I don't use but got the non legendary crafting material from them.. boo!

PS: I keep getting legendary two handed weapons also... which isn't great for me as I like the offhand source. I keep giving them to the enchantress though.. she's up to 100k DPS. lol

Last edited:
I tried really really hard to keep with my WD. But I ended up giving up. Just slow leveling, annoying skill synergy...=/ Went back to my Wizard which is just faceroll. Currently playing an Arcane Torrent build but I sort of want to farm for a fire build heh. FO is way too boring.

I got 3 legendary items within like 5 mins... two of them were almost back to back.. but the the two last ones that were back to back were not attributed for my class.. armor with strength and other stuff not great for a wiz... I upgraded the item mod lady to level 12 so I can mod legendary items. I need that one ingredient that you can only get by salvaging legendary items... so I tried a few I had in my stash that I don't use but got the non legendary crafting material from them.. boo!

PS: I keep getting legendary two handed weapons also... which isn't great for me as I like the offhand source. I keep giving them to the enchantress though.. she's up to 100k DPS. lol

You have to salvage level 61-70 legendaries to get the forgotten souls (100% on salvage), that or complete rifts and have a chance for the last boss to drop one.

I tried really really hard to keep with my WD. But I ended up giving up. Just slow leveling, annoying skill synergy...=/ Went back to my Wizard which is just faceroll. Currently playing an Arcane Torrent build but I sort of want to farm for a fire build heh. FO is way too boring.

And that is why Wiz needs to be toned down. My weaker wiz can compete toe to toe with my barb which is sad. lol.

That's Wizard in a nutshell...

I've even replaced Archon with magic weapon. My Wizard has +84% fire dmg and with Archon being arcane, I simply tossed it. I'm running 3 buffs, teleport, magic missile, and fire wave of force. The "active" part is just positioning and running around I guess. I also have the 2 handed sword linked earlier in this thread with the chance to summon the demonic slave. He's super fun to use (and extremely powerful), so that fills in the monotony.

What fire build are you running?

Back