Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

Yeap, and man that's annoying. It's why I end up getting bored and not continuing.

Yeah normal is a complete waste to me as well....Most painful part of restarting.

Once you get a hellfire ring you can level up about 5 level to get some basic gear then have someone warp you to the Bridge and level up to level 25 very quickly then warp you to diablo.

I think I made it through normal in under an hour doing this.
 
Craft yourself something better?
I'm @ paragon 3 right now and other than Hell Belial who I asked for some help since the dude scares the crap out of me, I was able to get to end game without much problem.

Granted, you won't blow through everything at 45 like someone who has a -15 lvl req weapon, but it's easily doable.

Yeah, the new archon recipes are certainly very nice but they were not available when I did my self-found attempt (like I said, it was about a year ago when I was looking to "spice up" the gameplay). Almost every other lvl 60 rare recipe is a gigantic waste of gold/resources though, mainly due to the utter randomness of the rolls. A self-found player rolling 20 6-property swords will likely get 20 trash swords - for an absolutely humongous cost...that doesn't really appeal to me.

HC with friends is definitely a blast though.
 
Yeah, the new archon recipes are certainly very nice but they were not available when I did my self-found attempt (like I said, it was about a year ago when I was looking to "spice up" the gameplay). Almost every other lvl 60 rare recipe is a gigantic waste of gold/resources though, mainly due to the utter randomness of the rolls. A self-found player rolling 20 6-property swords will likely get 20 trash swords - for an absolutely humongous cost...that doesn't really appeal to me.

HC with friends is definitely a blast though.

I don't have any of those recipes either.
I started from scratch with nothing.

I made a DH and died at 57 (carelessness in A3 Hell).
Then I made a WD and died at 60 (lost power)
My current is also a WD since I felt my first one died an unfair death.

While I had some left overs from the other guys, it wasn't much and my first WD died very early (In Hadrig's basement, of all place lol).

I'm probably going to work on a Wizard next.
 
I hope they can fix D3, D2 LOD is like 5 times better than D3.

Honestly, if Blizz actually puts some soul into the expansion and really tries to make a badass game, i have a feeling they can pull it off like they did D2 (ignoring the different dev teams).

I'm hoping they do, and if so i'll probably give them more money = /

I know i'm part of the problem.
 
Honestly, if Blizz actually puts some soul into the expansion and really tries to make a badass game, i have a feeling they can pull it off like they did D2 (ignoring the different dev teams).

I'm hoping they do, and if so i'll probably give them more money = /

I know i'm part of the problem.

Agreed, and I haven't played D3 in a while (nor had the desire after jumping in briefly about a month ago). However judging by what Blizzard has put out lately (SC2, Cataclysm, D3) I really think they've lost "it". It's no longer an automatic buy, and I'll be looking closely to fellow [H]'ers for their feedback.
 
It's no longer an automatic buy, and I'll be looking closely to fellow [H]'ers for their feedback.

Most definitely. That's one of the reasons I follow this thread--to see what they're doing and hear people's opinions on recent patches and the like.

I like the base gameplay (though some kinda talent system would be REALLY nice), and hope that they kick ass with the expansion because i really love aRPGs
 
Honestly, if Blizz actually puts some soul into the expansion and really tries to make a badass game, i have a feeling they can pull it off like they did D2 (ignoring the different dev teams).

I'm hoping they do, and if so i'll probably give them more money = /

I know i'm part of the problem.

I don't think it will be anything beyond New Items (RMAH for the suckers), News Classes, New Maps......and MAYBE a ladder.

But I'd hope Diablo 2 being one of the best selling PC games in 2012 more than 10 years after release will tell them something about building to a higher standard....But I do doubt it.

that being said. new classes, Maps, and items is enough to get 60 bucks out of me....I still remember paying 64 bucks For Phantasy Star on the Sega Master system. Somehow inflation doesn't effect video games.
 
I don't think it will be anything beyond New Items (RMAH for the suckers), News Classes, New Maps......and MAYBE a ladder.

But I'd hope Diablo 2 being one of the best selling PC games in 2012 more than 10 years after release will tell them something about building to a higher standard....But I do doubt it.

that being said. new classes, Maps, and items is enough to get 60 bucks out of me....I still remember paying 64 bucks For Phantasy Star on the Sega Master system. Somehow inflation doesn't effect video games.

I'm hoping that they'll add:

-New Act
-Two new classes
-Runes, jewels (or something to make socketing gear more diverse)
-Charms
-Enchanting (it was supposedly already in teh game before they launched)
-Talents (hopeless dream i know, though LoD added synergies. That was a HUGE development. I'm hoping for something similar to spice up the gameplay and specs.)

We'll see though.
 
Talents would totally change the game for me. That's the biggest issue I have. I can't improve my character at all without new gear. At least D2/PoE you get incremental improvement from leveling up (either skill damage or points to allocate continuously).
 
Median XL (Diablo 2 mod) still has far more interesting character and item progression / customization than Diablo 3 ever hopes to achieve. The end game challenges are fun and unique as well.

http://modsbylaz.hugelaser.com/

As for D3, I mostly played it self - found from the beginning. Much more satisfying. Unfortunately with how random the loot tables are it's hard to get an incremental upgrade because of how specific an item has to be rolled to actually be useful. The dependence on all-resist only makes this situation worse.

The fact that the All Resist mod can roll higher than specific element resists is just absurd in the first place.
 
The fact that the All Resist mod can roll higher than specific element resists is just absurd in the first place.

Man I've been saying this forever. Its like they balanced all the resists around the one monk passive. It makes absolutely no sense
 
Man I've been saying this forever. Its like they balanced all the resists around the one monk passive. It makes absolutely no sense

You know and I know that the game designers currently employed at Blizzard Entertainment have lost their imagination and desire to explore new ideas, techniques, styles, etc. All they want to do is simplify things to the level of the dumbest person around that's capable of checking out at a cash register. For that consumer, the systems in place for Diablo 3 make totally good sense as they don't want a challenge; they want rewards at any price. This is the consumer that Blizzard is shooting for and that makes me very sad.

Move on to new pastures. Try playing Van Helsing on Steam until the expansion launches so you can see the new changes in action. Play something else in your library until the next PoE area is released. Don't continue worrying about why Blizzard did what they did. You'll never figure it out and your only thoughts will be Why? Uninstall it like the rest of us did. You can do it I swear. Just click the button!

:)
 
You know and I know that the game designers currently employed at Blizzard Entertainment have lost their imagination and desire to explore new ideas, techniques, styles, etc. All they want to do is simplify things to the level of the dumbest person around that's capable of checking out at a cash register. For that consumer, the systems in place for Diablo 3 make totally good sense as they don't want a challenge; they want rewards at any price. This is the consumer that Blizzard is shooting for and that makes me very sad.

Move on to new pastures. Try playing Van Helsing on Steam until the expansion launches so you can see the new changes in action. Play something else in your library until the next PoE area is released. Don't continue worrying about why Blizzard did what they did. You'll never figure it out and your only thoughts will be Why? Uninstall it like the rest of us did. You can do it I swear. Just click the button!

:)

Truth! Amen.
 
I'm not really familiar with a WW/Hota barb but one thing I noticed when playing a Barb last year is how much its effectiveness increases when you get high CC. You're already on a good way (Gear looks very nice) but try to at least get 45% CC eventually. Otherwise your considerable Critcial Damage might not be used as much as it could.

Other potential sources for CC would be your ring (bul-kathos) and your helmet (Unless you really value attack speed. Mempo's with CC and AS are horribly expensive)

Also, you currently have three sources of Life Steal (Butcher's Sickle, Bloodthirst passive and Immortal King's belt) Around 5-6% Lifesteal should be enough. Perhaps you could change the passive into something else. Maybe Fury Generation (Unless you get a new weapon without Lifesteal)

If you get a new weapon to replace Butcher's Sickle, make sure to get one with a socket, but use a Ruby in it until you've upped your CC around 45%. (I know Hammer of the Ancients increases CC)

===

Tried out the "Nirvana" build for the Monk this weekend. (But with Sweeping Wind Cyclone instead of Inner Storm)

For me personally, this might be the fastest farming way yet. But I need to practice with it more. Currently running Dahlgur Oasis over and over again. Only looking for those large snake packs while drawing Fallen towards it.


EDIT: My first and last crafted Hellfire Ring



Just got two drops in Dahlgur Oasis while practicing a "Nirvana" Monk. Quiver isn't worth much, but it's the first one that dropped with a socket for me.



 
Last edited:
Wow that's a really nice Wailing Host! The Rapid Fire roll on the DML might make it worth more than you think as well. Nice finds for sure.

I equipped my Wiz with a badass Maximus and have been having a blast using Fire Bolts + Meteor + Arcane Dynamo: I have 24% damage to demons, plus 25% fire skills damage. Meteor crits on demons can be over 1M and regular dudes see 700-800K crits. Awesomely fun playing in groups and having everyone freak out because they've never seen the Maximus demon summon before too haha!
 
Wow that's a really nice Wailing Host! The Rapid Fire roll on the DML might make it worth more than you think as well. Nice finds for sure.

I equipped my Wiz with a badass Maximus and have been having a blast using Fire Bolts + Meteor + Arcane Dynamo: I have 24% damage to demons, plus 25% fire skills damage. Meteor crits on demons can be over 1M and regular dudes see 700-800K crits. Awesomely fun playing in groups and having everyone freak out because they've never seen the Maximus demon summon before too haha!


Thanks!

That sounds awesome with the Maxmius and your skills. So you're playing a Fire Wizard/Mage? Nice crits, and yeah, that must look awesome to the others. :)

I wish the game would give more options to play a Wizard in a certain way. It still seems quite restricted if for example you want a Wizard focusing entirely on one element.
 
Yeah, Fire Bolts is the only fire-based "signature" skill for the Wizard (so ridiculous), and Meteor and Hydra are the only other fire skills that I'm aware of. Not really sure who made the decisions that lead to more 'physical' than fire skills for a mage class, but perhaps that will get fixed in the expansion.

Luckily, at 195%, Fire Bolts is a really powerful "free" spell, and my 25% fire skills increase makes it a 244% free spell. My char was using a Schaefer's Hammer and was geared up for that, not a Maximus, but the rest of my gear seems to lend itself well to both weapons/skills. I'm really enjoying how well Arcane Dynamo is working out with my two-skill setup.
 
I'm not really familiar with a WW/Hota barb but one thing I noticed when playing a Barb last year is how much its effectiveness increases when you get high CC. You're already on a good way (Gear looks very nice) but try to at least get 45% CC eventually. Otherwise your considerable Critcial Damage might not be used as much as it could.

Other potential sources for CC would be your ring (bul-kathos) and your helmet (Unless you really value attack speed. Mempo's with CC and AS are horribly expensive)

Also, you currently have three sources of Life Steal (Butcher's Sickle, Bloodthirst passive and Immortal King's belt) Around 5-6% Lifesteal should be enough. Perhaps you could change the passive into something else. Maybe Fury Generation (Unless you get a new weapon without Lifesteal)

If you get a new weapon to replace Butcher's Sickle, make sure to get one with a socket, but use a Ruby in it until you've upped your CC around 45%. (I know Hammer of the Ancients increases CC)

===

Tried out the "Nirvana" build for the Monk this weekend. (But with Sweeping Wind Cyclone instead of Inner Storm)

For me personally, this might be the fastest farming way yet. But I need to practice with it more. Currently running Dahlgur Oasis over and over again. Only looking for those large snake packs while drawing Fallen towards it.


EDIT: My first and last crafted Hellfire Ring



Just got two drops in Dahlgur Oasis while practicing a "Nirvana" Monk. Quiver isn't worth much, but it's the first one that dropped with a socket for me.

What mats do I need to craft Hellfire?
 
An organ part from each of the Infernal Machine encounters. Drop rate increased per MP level to 100% at mp10. I think mp0 is like 5%.

Thanks!

Anybody know where is the best place to hit paragon level 100? Strictly want to level.

Trying to obtain a hellfire ring just for that reason lol.
 
Thanks!

Anybody know where is the best place to hit paragon level 100? Strictly want to level.

Trying to obtain a hellfire ring just for that reason lol.

Been so long since I hit 100. Things changed so much. I have no clue. I hear a lot of people just going to mp10 and clearing white mob packs, skipping elites. Not sure though.
 
Thanks!

Anybody know where is the best place to hit paragon level 100? Strictly want to level.

Trying to obtain a hellfire ring just for that reason lol.

You very likely already know this, but you need to have 5 NV stacks before any organs will drop from the Ubers. I made that mistake at first.

The 3 different keys from the Keywardens give one Infernal Machine, and you need to beat the Keywarden at Act 4 until you get the Plans from him to craft it. (Getting the plans one time is enough)

===

As for farming, like Harkamus said many players beat up white mobs at the highest MP's possible. I've done that myself when leveling my Monk to P100.

Get the highest MP level you can efficiently kill white mobs on, skip tougher Elite packs to save time. If you can't evade them, just quickly let them kill you and start again and again. Every minute you "waste" on difficult Elite packs could have meant a few white mobs and XP. Easy Elite packs are fine though, it will only increase your XP.

It's not needed to build 5 stacks, it's time consuming and you'll be restarting the map a lot if you're going for white mobs. Another advantage is that by focusing on white mobs your amount of gold, legendaries and XP will skyrocket. Only becoming more when you level up.

My favorite area's:

Act 1:

Weeping Hollow - don't miss out on Den of the Fallen. (Lots of low HP monsters to kill and insane amounts of XP)

Fields of Misery - Amazing XP farm, has its share of annoying monsters though. Bulls and Posion Trees take quite some time to kill. If possible mostly skip them and focus on Leapers/Goatmen/Plague Bearers instead. (If you see Scavenger's Den/Defiled Crypt, you're very lucky. These area's are XP bombs with lots of low HP monsters.

Lost Mine in the Fields is not really recommended. Lot's of high HP monsters, which take relatively a longer time to beat up for lesser gain.

Act 2:

Dahglur Oasis: My favorite farming spot in the game. Got some of my best items there.

Seek out those massive Deceiver snake packs, while skipping Fallen commanders. Instead try to lure Fallen nearby into the snake packs and take them out all at once. (Otherwise you waste time beating up high HP Fallen Commanders for relatively little gain)

There can be some annoying Elites there, don't be afraid to restart multiple time in a few minutes when needed. In the end it's still far more efficient.

Forgotten Ruins is located in Dahlgur and is a place not to be missed. Packed to the brim with skeletons. Only difficult Elite are those Stone Golems, but are mostly rare to appear.

The channels (in the north) are also good places to visit. Especially if they are packed with skeletons.
 
Last edited:
... Uninstall it like the rest of us did. You can do it I swear. Just click the button!

:)

I was the biggest Blizzard fan the world has possibly known. 'Investing' over $10k in blizzard games, goodies and tickets to various events. But now I am of the same opinion as you.

It is terribly sad, I actually feel that a close friend has passed away, thats how strongly I feel.
 
Median XL (Diablo 2 mod) still has far more interesting character and item progression / customization than Diablo 3 ever hopes to achieve. The end game challenges are fun and unique as well.

http://modsbylaz.hugelaser.com/


I forgot to reply to this post. I bought Diablo 2/LoD but never installed them for quite some time. Installed it a week or two ago together with Median XL.

I can't say anything else than that it's absolutely amazing. I was looking for something extra to hold me over for at least a couple of months while waiting for the D3 expansion.

D2 + Median XL had me hooked within an hour.
 
the mob density makes act1 the best act to farm for xp i think, act2 i hate really blaah....
 
Blizzard's gamescon conference is early Wed morning. It'd be interesting to wake up Wednesday to see all the press info on their announcements
 
Blizzard's gamescon conference is early Wed morning. It'd be interesting to wake up Wednesday to see all the press info on their announcements

Nice. Is there any chance they might reveal something about the expansion or is that saved for another time?
 
Titan is being reworked to be the D3 expansion instead. Expect a working date of 2017 for release.

God...I'd give anything to recreate the feeling and experience of Diablo 1. Going deeper and deeper into the church, hell for the first time...

Sadly it's probably a combination of age, experience and originality...will most likely never get that back. Wow, what a downer post, sorry!
 
Titan is being reworked to be the D3 expansion instead. Expect a working date of 2017 for release.

God...I'd give anything to recreate the feeling and experience of Diablo 1. Going deeper and deeper into the church, hell for the first time...

Sadly it's probably a combination of age, experience and originality...will most likely never get that back. Wow, what a downer post, sorry!

Try DoomRL for free. It's not quite the same, but does recreate some of that feeling.
 
Titan is being reworked to be the D3 expansion instead. Expect a working date of 2017 for release.

God...I'd give anything to recreate the feeling and experience of Diablo 1. Going deeper and deeper into the church, hell for the first time...

Sadly it's probably a combination of age, experience and originality...will most likely never get that back. Wow, what a downer post, sorry!

As much as Diablo 1 was a landmark game, I have no desire to play anything like it ever again. Diablo 2 fixed MANY problems that the first game had. If you thought you were a downer, I'll be a bigger one.

Problems:
-Level Design. Basically every set of 5(? or was it 4) floors looked exactly the same. So much so that when I first started playing it, I thought that the game was just an endless generation of same looking floors without an end.
-Classes/Skills. There is no uniqueness here. What I mean is that there is no advantage to playing a Rogue or Warrior per se. They all learn the same spells as a Mage. Sure the Warrior and Rogue are specced to work with their respective melee and ranged weapons, but without class specific skills, they're boring. Might as well be a Mage and have a spell book, rather than endlessly shooting arrows or swinging a weapon (which technically you can still do with a Mage anyway).
-No Running. Sounds simple, but that simple addition to D2 made a huge difference.
-Horrible Quests. Killing the Butcher was fun, that was about it. Talking with a goat guy and 'trusting him' for a while? Not really.
-Terrible skill/spell learning mechanics - I don't think I need to go too far into this one, but trying to find spell books in the world was painful at best. Search every shelf, barrel, kill everything to try and complete your spellbook.
-Extremely limited equipment - It was decent in this game, but it wasn't long until everyone realized that the best set of armor was Godly Plate of the Whale and having anything less wasn't worth it. The same sorts of things can be said about every slot. The BIS list was short, and the customization poor.

These are just a few off the top of my head. Still D1 got a lot right. It had a superb soundtrack, it had voice acting which was novel for the time (and pretty decent despite the well known Cain cheesyness factor), CG movie sequences, and an interesting environment/storyline. But Diablo 2 was a much improved D1. More classes, more interesting skills/specialization, more environments, running, better equipment/gear and specialization of equipment/gear, better leveling mechanics, and better quests. Heck just adding the skill tree was a monumental change that made the game so much better.
 
Titan is being reworked to be the D3 expansion instead. Expect a working date of 2017 for release.

God...I'd give anything to recreate the feeling and experience of Diablo 1. Going deeper and deeper into the church, hell for the first time...

Sadly it's probably a combination of age, experience and originality...will most likely never get that back. Wow, what a downer post, sorry!

I kind of felt this way for a while. Then I played dark souls. Even though its a completely different game style it had that same magic that D1 had. Too me anyways.
 
I actually liked the set of 4/5 levels being similar in style and art direction. You were working your way through equivalent layers of time in the building.

I do get that I'm seeing quite a bit of it through rose colored glasses. That being said the music, the real feeling of the environment, setting and darkness of the game has decreased ever since then. If anything, moving slower instead of running full tilt through dungeons added to that, less of an arcade feel and more of a slow crawl, fearfully, towards hell.
 
Memory lane trip!

First run in with the butcher in D1, unforgettable. Especially as a mage trying to kill him with charged bolts.

But yeah, I'll never go back to D1. I'm gonna leave it with as a good nostalgic memory.
 
Nice. Is there any chance they might reveal something about the expansion or is that saved for another time?

I'd give it 50/50. They've been teasing about Diablo 3 stuff, and I'm hoping its not just about the book of tyrael. The book is really neat as the diablo lore is amazing, but definately not worth hyping as much as they have. Game expansion or at least MP/Infernal Machine amount of content is a plausible announcement.

On the other hand, I would think they are saving any game announcements till blizzcon. The timing seems right to announce the next chapter of the 3 Blizzard games. Ok well maybe SC2: Legacy of the void might be too early, but I really want the last part!
 
Back
Top