Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

I have noticed an increase of 'good' drops these past couple days. I don't know if it just random - but I have gotten 4-5 legendary and a set item in the last couple days. Also have gotten gear that has sold for more than 16m gold in just the past couple days in addition to the other stuff.

Literally from getting no good drops to getting 1 or 2 every couple runs is a large change (my gear hasn't changed).

might just be pure coincidence, but i went from rarely getting legendary/set items to getting a legendary sword and 2 set items yesterday farming A3, granted they were mostly trash, i've never gotten a set item before EVER and i've logged about 200 hours total, but last night, 2 in 1 run!

might just be pure coincidence, but i went from rarely getting legendary/set items to getting a legendary sword and 2 set items yesterday farming A3, granted they were mostly trash, i've never gotten a set item before EVER and i've logged about 200 hours total, but last night, 2 in 1 run!

It's just the RnG. I on the other hand had horrible luck. Building up my WD, I got two legendaries to drop (with 3 MF) on Act 3 Normal, and switched over to my monk on Act 3 Inferno. I ran the whole level with 183 base magic find, and the first yellow I saw was on an elite once I had a 5 stack of NV. Although I guess it was a decent yellow. +90 Dex, +90 Vit, +4.5 Critical Hit, Ignores Durability loss, +2000 for health globes, -10% for controlled. I probably would have loved to trade one/two of the last 3 for some form of resist and/or a socket.

major ban wave hit last night and now the game creation limit is coming back so the end of botting is pretty much here. Botters were the core of what was left in this game so it'll be interesting to see how things shake out over the next few weeks.

major ban wave hit last night and now the game creation limit is coming back so the end of botting is pretty much here. Botters were the core of what was left in this game so it'll be interesting to see how things shake out over the next few weeks.

Game creation limit?

fixed

The RMAH has no affect on in game rolls. If it did, that would be a gargauntuan feat of programming.

Not really. The game would just do a check on creation against a database that averages the different things on the AH. If there is a shortage of +INT gear, the roll algorithm is tweaked slightly to increase the chances of a +INT item.

Given Bliz's obsession with "build diversity" I would not be surprised

Any claim about how the AH directly affects drops is an argument from ignorance. Even the (wrong) statement from a Blizzard CM, about how the "low" drop rates were designed with the AH in mind, was shot down.

The only reputable statement regarding drop rates were from the devs themselves, and they basically said that people geared up way faster than they expected (before the drop rate buffs, mind you).

That doesn't end botters at all. The only thing this does is slow the botting income per character down to maybe half of what it used to be. Botters will just buy twice as many accounts and carry on as usual or they will put up with making half the gold they used to make per hour. So what, it's AFK so it really doesn't matter how much gold per hour they are making.

There hasn't been evidence of botters yet... as far as i know.

what evidence do you need? My bot is still going fine LOL I think this ban wave had something in it where they were watching for accounts "giving" gold away to other players. This indicated to them that people were selling outside of THEIR auction house which is what makes them angry. At least once every day I stop the normal bot and go upgrade the gems I've found and put them into the RMAH as stars and up. Perhaps its my random stops and salvaging every time my inventory is full and some of the other things my bot does that kept me going BUT I would bet money that they LOVE the 30% of everything I do that they're getting.

It's always nice when the scumbags out themselves. :rolleyes:

This dude is far from the 'scumbag'... the pictures of people with racks and racks of computers, they come closer to the 'scumbag' title, imo... but really--blizzard has finally condoned botting as they profit from it now.

There hasn't been evidence of botters yet... as far as i know.
There has been botting from Day 1 in D3. Starting from simple AutoIT scripts all the way to memory injection that Warden can't detect or do anything about. If you Google for it you'll find that there are approximately 580273721 varieties of D3 bots of various sophistication levels.

Botters drive the cost of things down = less money for Blizzard.
Eh ..., botters pay for accounts. Botters create gold/items that people buy where Blizzard gets a transaction fee. How is that less money for Blizzard?

He hit the ball out of the park with this article. Now there are other issues in the game that I find annoying, but the AH is the main one. If I had continued playing solo on my Demon Hunter I would be about level 30 right now as nothing really dropped for me until I hit Inferno after the 1.03 patch. The AH completely fueled every slot on my character. And since everything on the AH is better than what I could ever find in the game it still fuels my Inferno experience.

Just the way they designed the game. All those posts from Blizzard about how they took a 400 dps weapon into Inferno and beat it during testing are out the door. They have added in timers on elites that make the AH even more important as you have to gear up to out dps the encounters. They have mobs that literally one shot you unless you out resist the damage. Where do you find such gear? The AH. It's not me being elitist about what my character wears. Look at the guys on TwitchTV. They leave 99% of the stuff that drops on the ground and don't even identify it.

Even if you try to ignore the AH or the fact that you bought everything you own off it, it still affects your game play. I got to the point where I was inspecting my fellow Inferno team before I would offer them gear to see if they would use it or put it up for auction where I felt I should be making a profit. I've never thought of such things in a game before in my life! But when cash rules everything around me and my fate is tied to my ability to make gold the line is skewed.

Well that's my opinion of the game. :)

Because it drives the cost down? I guess its really debatable which is costing them more money since no one has specific facts.

But i think of it this way. Blizzard will eventually release something that'll refresh interest in D3 much like WoW Major patches / expansions do.

This'll make prices inflate substantially, that price inflation is good for them, and obviously they would want to prolong this price inflation as it increases profits for themselves. It will also keep players playing longer and enhancing that addictive element of loot farming making people play even more.

As for the article itself, I have some gripes. The author clearly never made it to inferno. It's not clear how far he got, but it's very obvious by some of his examples. He gripes about crafting yet crafting is lucrative at 60 (and subsequently salvaging your loot is no longer useless). He gripes about only getting magical items - well clearly he has never reached nephalem valor. It's unclear how many people have made it to 60 in the population, but a recent reddit survey revealed that over 85% of players that took the survey are 60.

Now, his main point seems to be this idea he got from Marx where the worker is disconnected from the product. He cites knitting and a guy tinkering with his car in their free time as the result of the assembly line mentality. I think this whole notion is completely overplayed and extrapolated to an annoyingly inaccurate degree. The clear counter example is everyday life. I didn't create my car. I bought it with legal tender. That doesn't mean i don't enjoy my car or am now bummed out about it because I got it by working my job. I don't think there's anything wrong with the concept of buying items with gold.

His example of knitting is used incorrectly. In Marx's context, expert craftsman didn't just do their craft because they felt like it. They probably liked it to a certain degree, but the bottom line was they had to make a living doing it. For the knitting example, that person would essentially have to make a living from knitting for it to work. In videogames, that translates to getting rewarded in the game for doing what you want to do. This has nothing to do with drop rates / buying stuff with gold. You can get rewarded with gold which then turns into items from the AH and that's fine. Bottom line is players should be rewarded for doing things that they find fun. This philosophy is actually playing a pretty big part in Guild Wars 2. Right now in D3 there's a formula for farming and honestly it's not everyone's cup of tea and it's not very fun for very long. The actual "what players do in the game" has to be fun.

which is why those selling outside the RMAH are getting banned lol (i have no idea if this is true)
I suppose there are two types of botters. There's the Joe Blow that turns it on when he goes to work/school/sleep and uses it (or sells it??). Then there are those bot farms that aim to sell to players. I have no idea what the situation of bans are for either one.

I suppose there are two types of botters. There's the Joe Blow that turns it on when he goes to work/school/sleep and uses it (or sells it??). Then there are those bot farms that aim to sell to players. I have no idea what the situation of bans are for either one.

Pretty sure bot=ban. Period.

Pretty sure bot=ban. Period.

And your source is Blizzard, right?

I think the best source is the actual forum for these bots. I haven't visited them myself for D3, but historically in any online game with bots / cheats / hacks, the best source of "are bans / anti-cheat measures working", is the actual forums for these 3rd party programs.

too bad every site looks like its ran by 2 people in a basement trying to scam people. I'd totally bot while I'm at work if there was a reputable way to do it.

And your source is Blizzard, right?

I think the best source is the actual forum for these bots. I haven't visited them myself for D3, but historically in any online game with bots / cheats / hacks, the best source of "are bans / anti-cheat measures working", is the actual forums for these 3rd party programs.

Bots went months without bannings.

All of the public paid for bots have been shutdown/CAD letter by Blizzard. They have also got much better at banning. Bans are happening within hours instead of waves anymore.

In theory that is correct, botting will in theory result in a ban based on violation of EULA/TOS.

In practice this is not the case simply because Blizzard has no way to recognize sophisticated bots. Yes, a bunch of AutoIT script kiddies get banned because they are using a standard script that just loops over and over to do the same thing.

Better bots use variations in the actions they take, essentially emulating human behavior and thus Blizzard has no way to find them yet ban them.

Even if you were to use AutoIT to create your own script, program some delays and variations into it, you would to a very high degree of certainty not be banned because Blizz has no way to distinguish between a human and a bot.

The way Blizz currently works is that they rely on Warden and on log parsers to look for repeating patterns. If you take the same action every 15.678 seconds, and you do that for several minutes/hours in a row coupled with other repeating actions, you'll get the ban hammer.

All of the public paid for bots have been shutdown/CAD letter by Blizzard.
A quick search of Google confirms this to not be true.

As for the article itself, I have some gripes. The author clearly never made it to inferno. It's not clear how far he got, but it's very obvious by some of his examples. He gripes about crafting yet crafting is lucrative at 60 (and subsequently salvaging your loot is no longer useless). He gripes about only getting magical items - well clearly he has never reached nephalem valor. It's unclear how many people have made it to 60 in the population, but a recent reddit survey revealed that over 85% of players that took the survey are 60.

I never truly liked the cars I purchased in my lifetime until I changed the oil, kicked the tires, bought something to hang on the mirror, stuck a pic of a loved one on the dash, etc. Until then it's just some material item akin to soap as in both serve a purpose as a tool. When I put my touches on it then if you touch my baby I will hurt you. :)

Now, his main point seems to be this idea he got from Marx where the worker is disconnected from the product. He cites knitting and a guy tinkering with his car in their free time as the result of the assembly line mentality. I think this whole notion is completely overplayed and extrapolated to an annoyingly inaccurate degree. The clear counter example is everyday life. I didn't create my car. I bought it with legal tender. That doesn't mean i don't enjoy my car or am now bummed out about it because I got it by working my job. I don't think there's anything wrong with the concept of buying items with gold.

In any other game if you purchased a high ticket item with gold and tried to display it 75% of the population online at that time would call you a noob and laugh in your face. Some guy shows up with gear off Diablo himself whether it came from Normal or Inferno would have more street cred than the guy with the bought from the AH armor. Of course in D3 we can't tell when an item comes off Diablo so everyone is "equal" in that regards. When a guy in my group gets excited and shows me a cool drop I get excited. When he shows me the shoes he bought with perfect stats for 60 million I yawn as gold is free from playing the game and anyone can get it.

His example of knitting is used incorrectly. In Marx's context, expert craftsman didn't just do their craft because they felt like it. They probably liked it to a certain degree, but the bottom line was they had to make a living doing it. For the knitting example, that person would essentially have to make a living from knitting for it to work. In videogames, that translates to getting rewarded in the game for doing what you want to do. This has nothing to do with drop rates / buying stuff with gold. You can get rewarded with gold which then turns into items from the AH and that's fine. Bottom line is players should be rewarded for doing things that they find fun. This philosophy is actually playing a pretty big part in Guild Wars 2. Right now in D3 there's a formula for farming and honestly it's not everyone's cup of tea and it's not very fun for very long. The actual "what players do in the game" has to be fun.

Well my personal experience growing up as the son of a car / diesel mechanic with his own shop is that when you craft items with your bare hands there is a feeling of accomplishment that only you as the artisan experiences. For example when my dad used to replicate parts out of sheets of metal for a 1932 Ford he was restoring for someone as the original parts were hard to obtain. When you get finished you want to show the world your creation as all eyes are on you. You are in the spotlight as this is your moment.

Now does that mean every time my dad changed someone's spark plugs he got excited? No. How's about when he figured out what was wrong with their car when others couldn't and fixed it? Heck yea! The customer would sometimes come over and give him a peck on the cheek for his hard work and dedication. Now how that relates to Marxism I don't know as he wasn't the focus of my studies.

No, since the beginning the tooltip said 15%, or 1$ minimum.

No shit? lol greedy fuckers. Guess i read it wrong from the get-go.

Item name 1 Ramble Prism
Time of transaction 15 Jun 2012 05:55 AM PDT
Sale price $7.50
Transaction fee $1.00
Paypal transaction fee $0.98
Applicable taxes $0.00
Your proceeds $5.52

15% of this sale would be $1.13, so are you sure about this?

Cruising the auction house I have realized that the Real Money Auction House has all but died since they started selling gold for cash.

It seems that in future the RMAH might be nothing more than a place to buy gold to take to the Gold Auction House.

Also if you have problems with RMAH now.........Just wait till PvP drops.

Back