Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

Exactly. Loot is instanced to each player. It seems you may get a little more, or more chance at rare+, but I'm not sure.

The first 4 player game I was in yesterday, I got 3 rares dropped by random mobs in only about 25 minutes. Anecdotal only, but I think before that in 10 hours or so of solo to 3 players that only occured once or twice.

Yeah, 4x the loot drops when you have 4x the players, but you still only see the exact same amount since it is distributed.

Me and 3 friends killed the skeleton king when we were levels 10,9,2,1. The level 1 guy got 2 rares that dropped and I (the level 9 guy) just got 2 blue items :(

Yeah, 4x the loot drops when you have 4x the players, but you still only see the exact same amount since it is distributed.

Me and 3 friends killed the skeleton king when we were levels 10,9,2,1. The level 1 guy got 2 rares that dropped and I (the level 9 guy) just got 2 blue items :(

Was it your first time killing him?

But, in Guild Wars, the gear doesn't make the build. Right? It was skill IIRC. That's a different gameplay mechanic entirely.

As for the WoW comparison, it may be apt, but WoW isn't a game I enjoy.

I guess my point is that so many people on the internet said they loved D2, but now it seems like they actually hated a lot about it.

People are capable of liking both games for different reasons, despite (or maybe because of) their flaws/differences. One of the biggest things that people bitch about in D3 is the lack of manual stat-point allocation as your character progresses in leveling. While D2 allowed you to allocate a fixed number of stat points for each level you gained, you could royally eff up your character if you did it "wrong", since all allocations were permanent. Result? Raise stats A/B to minimum needed to hit certain caps, pump everything else into stat C, and completely ignore stad D.

So yeah, while D2 gave you the option to boost stats as you saw fit, it was really just an illusion, since there was only one real proper way to do so if you didn't want to end crippled come endgame. Not really much of a choice now, eh?

Sure, maybe the better path for D3 would have been to add stat point allocations, but make it balanced and/or reversible. But Blizzard thought it better to scrap the idea wholly, since the end result is basically the same regardless of the means. Ergo, stat point allocations have moved to gear.

Both systems have their pros and cons, and neither of them detract from that portion of the two games' experience for me. I love both D2 and D3 in spite of both their flaws and differences.

Played through normal last night like a freak, played for 10 hours yesterday. Beat the game, mostly solo in 15 hours. Today before work I started act 1 nightmare. We killed the skeleton king, he dropped two blues :(

Overall I like the game but Diablo 2 was better for it's time. This seems a lot more story driven, but that makes the maps more linear. I don't see this having the staying power of diablo 2.

Yes :(

Doesn't really matter, but as the only guy in my group with no rares... :( haha

My buddies and I usually pick up all the rares that drop, then we re-drop them on the ground so everyone can get what they need. ...does no one else do that?

Hmm, it won't drop the oodles of rares on subsequent kills. I've never had a bigger boss not drop rares on first kill though.

i have had bosses only drop magic instead of rares. very possible. if its your first kill you have a pretty high chance of getting rares though. after your normal run through though your rare drops from bosses decrease significantly

To answer the other guy your loot does not change due to your party size. However magic find is averaged between the group. so if you have 90% MF and the rest of your team has 0% thats 90/4 22.5% magic find for everybody.

My buddies and I usually pick up all the rares that drop, then we re-drop them on the ground so everyone can get what they need. ...does no one else do that?

Well, if anything is class specific it's shared. But at our levels we all need everything so whatever drops is yours. If you don't need a good item, you offer it to your buddies before selling/salvaging basically.

To answer the other guy your loot does not change due to your party size. However magic find is averaged between the group. so if you have 90% MF and the rest of your team has 0% thats 90/4 22.5% magic find for everybody.

Dammit, I'm the guy always stacking +MF/GF while my buddies are like "lol look at these boots +7 dex best evar"

Loving my wizard now that I'm 49 with all the cold spells at my disposal. Nightmare is still ridicoulous and I hate to see Hell mode and even less so to see Inferno.....

Sitting at about 3.4k DPS with about 10k life, if I get swarmed its over :(

Yea i was pretty disappointed with the wizard until you unlock the endgame moves. Then it's just too cool for school.

Seems like you level really fast in this game. Two days in and people are ~level 50?

Played through normal last night like a freak, played for 10 hours yesterday. Beat the game, mostly solo in 15 hours. Today before work I started act 1 nightmare. We killed the skeleton king, he dropped two blues :(

Overall I like the game but Diablo 2 was better for it's time. This seems a lot more story driven, but that makes the maps more linear. I don't see this having the staying power of diablo 2.

Nothing will ever have the staying power of Diablo 2 again simply because the gaming scene is too competitive; there is just too much to play and only so much time. Not to mention that steam backlog :D

Most aRPG's are this way. Even with PoE it took me maybe 6 hours to get to level 37.

Diablo 2 was not that fast at all from my experience. That is, unless you were doing power leveling tricks, but I'm talking core solo gameplay.

Diablo 2 was not that fast at all from my experience. That is, unless you were doing power leveling tricks, but I'm talking core solo gameplay.

Having gone back to D2 somewhat recently - yes it is a little slower. Not by a lot, though. I think it comes from D3 giving you more enemies to fight at a time.

I'm trying to build a computer out of scraps that will run D3 for a buddy.

Does anyone know if this game uses multiple threads for processing? Both the minimum and recommended have 2-core processors listed, but i thought that consoles had single-core processors?

Does anyone know if this game uses multiple threads for processing? Both the minimum and recommended have 2-core processors listed, but i thought that consoles had single-core processors?

Dunno about Xbox360, but PS3 has like 6 cores I think.

Anyways, I'd stick to minimum system specs if you can... :p

pretty sure the ps3 has an eight core processor and the game will be made entirely for the console they said it wont be ported.

yup its 8. 2 are dedicated to something other than games though. so really six.

pretty sure the ps3 has an eight core processor and the game will be made entirely for the console they said it wont be ported.

yup its 8. 2 are dedicated to something other than games though. so really six.

crazy. Shame though--i guess i'll have to tell my buddy he's going to have to buy some parts

Anyone get it running properly on amd mobility gpus? 2000 series to 4000?
Was trying the guest pass on my laptops 3450 and i get giant white triangles everywhere(other than that works well).
Older driver didn't work and 12.4a hotfix isn't available for mobility.
what a headache....
works on my 4770 fyi

Can someone link to where I can get that FXAA Injector thing that makes D3 look better?

Anyone get it running properly on amd mobility gpus? 2000 series to 4000?
Was trying the guest pass on my laptops 3450 and i get giant white triangles everywhere(other than that works well).
Older driver didn't work and 12.4a hotfix isn't available for mobility.
what a headache....
works on my 4770 fyi

I dont know but just from experience, even on my i5-2500k and AMD 5770, while I maintain a pretty constant 100-200+ fps, there are times when the frames drop greatly in big 4 person mob stomps. I know they listed basically any video card capabile of playing, anything else than maybe a GT 430 or 6670 is going to get stressed playing this game at some time or another.

I dont know but just from experience, even on my i5-2500k and AMD 5770, while I maintain a pretty constant 100-200+ fps, there are times when the frames drop greatly in big 4 person mob stomps. I know they listed basically any video card capabile of playing, anything else than maybe a GT 430 or 6670 is going to get stressed playing this game at some time or another.

my i52500k and 570 even get stomped sometimes when there is 4 of us killing a giant stack of mobs.. poor optimization.. most of the time its a steady unwavering 60 fps tho

You probably have everything on high tho .... i m talking low-end low textures everthing else off ... its on a laptop after all :p

I thought I'd give D3 another chance tonight. Nope, still have 350-400ms ping.... soooo fucking pissed at Blizzard!

Oh man, I'm already having a tough time on Nightmare Belial solo. The first phase is no problem but it's hard to discern his pattern on phase 2.

Last edited:
Just finished Diablo 3 with my bro, online from start to finish. Our concensus was that it was a good game, met all expectations that we had. I played as Barbarian and he was Witch Doctor, and after first act (which was ridiculously easy) there were several truly challenging parts (bosses and few tough encounters and swarms) aswell as few lowbrows, bosses that could be beaten eyes closed. But overall experience was positive. Looking forward to the nighmare mode and truly getting our asses handed to us. :D

Before starting this game I JUST finished Diablo 2 again to refresh my memories so there wouldnt be any nostalgia talk, and Diablo 3 didnt really feel a huge downgrade over that.
Except for the design of big D himself (whos bright idea was that fuggly design!? He is supposed to look like a brute, mountain of horns and muscle FFS! Lord of Terror my ass!)

Anyway in gameplay only real downside that I found was the lack of skills quickswitching. Quickswitch between skillsets would have been awesome! Through the game my character kinda developed two skillsets that were useful for two different situations. One for swarm fights and one for small bigguy encounters/boss fights. Constantly switching between those two was pain in the ass, especially if things started to heat up and you werent anticipating the change! Go to menu, select your skill/skills, runes, close, wait for timer, back to battle and get killed...

God damnit, why I cant just push a button/buttons, wait for the timer while avoiding enemies and then back to action? Like I could in D2 (minus timer)?

Last edited:
Just finished Diablo 3 with my bro, online from start to finish. Our concensus was that it was a good game, met all expectations that we had. I played as Barbarian and he was Witch Doctor, and after first act (which was ridiculously easy) there were several truly challenging parts (bosses and few tough encounters and swarms) aswell as few lowbrows, bosses that could be beaten eyes closed. But overall experience was positive. Looking forward to the nighmare mode and truly getting our asses handed to us. :D

Before starting this game I JUST finished Diablo 2 again to refresh my memories so there wouldnt be any nostalgia talk, and Diablo 3 didnt really feel a huge downgrade over that. Except for the design of big D himself (whos bright idea was that fuggly design! He is supposed to look like a brute, mountain of horns and muscle FFS!)

Anyway in gameplay only real downside that I found was a lack of skills quickswitching. Quickswitch between skillsets would have been awesome! Through the game my character kinda developed two skillsets that were useful for two different situations. One for swarm fights and one for small bigguy encounters/boss fights. Constantly switching between those two was pain in the ass, especially if things started to heat up and you werent anticipating the change! Go to menu, select your skill/skills, runes, close, wait for timer, back to battle and get killed...

God damnit, why I cant just push a button/buttons, wait for the timer while avoiding enemies and then back to action? Like I could in D2 (minus timer)?

only read on if you have beaten the game!

Diablo looks like that for a reason! his vessel was a female remember, he consumed her in order to be reborn. He has many forms too! not to mentions he has all of his brothers inside him with the blacksoulstone so thats why they designed him that way as well. but I think the biggest role was the consumption of leah in order to return

Back