Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

I guess Im the only one who likes pots then. Sea to me spanning pots and having to refill them occasionally beats the alternative of dieing or praying you can make it to a random health orb before a ranged guy nails you.

Not trolling. Its an ok game, but not nearly what it should be, especially coming from one of Blizzards most successful franchises. Its a discussion thread, several pages back I posted positives and things they did right. This post wasn't as positive. Doesn't make me a troll, simply stating an opinion. There are plenty of games that have been complex and fun.

Pretty much what I think. I want a game to not make me bang my head on the table, but not TOO easy. It's an ok mix for now, even at Normal when you're not paying attention. Looking forward to Nightmare and beyond.

I guess Im the only one who likes pots then. Sea to me spanning pots and having to refill them occasionally beats the alternative of dieing or praying you can make it to a random health orb before a ranged guy nails you.

Focus on avoiding damage rather than patching your HP after you take damage.

My brother was upset there is no talent tree and to be honest, I kinda was too.

I was too until i got to about level 30. Now, i have WAAAY to many moves to ever use, and constantly am getting more. Too much to play with to even know. Now that i'm in nightmare though, and getting 1-shot, i need to work in some better defense moves and rethink how i've been doing things.

You definitely have WAY more to play with than D2 ever offered, and i like that.

The same exact thing will happen with Diablo 3 eventually, so don't kid yourself there.

Diablo 2 wasn't exactly "complex" IMO but Diablo 3 is even less so.

Don't disagree with that.

However I am having a lot of fun Playing D3. The combat sure is fun

I see this as Blizzard trying to make death a tangible threat, otherwise why not just spam potions until you're blue in the face. This way they are forcing combat to become more interactive and marginally more tactical with how you approach mobs.

I was too until i got to about level 30. Now, i have WAAAY to many moves to ever use, and constantly am getting more. Too much to play with to even know. Now that i'm in nightmare though, and getting 1-shot, i need to work in some better defense moves and rethink how i've been doing things.

You definitely have WAY more to play with than D2 ever offered, and i like that.

What class are you playing?

At higher difficulties the mobs have more aggressive AI, more HP, hit harder, etc. If haven't even passed Act 1 and you are honestly rendering judgement based on this?

I've been thoroughly impressed by the boss fights. I fuckin love them, and while they remind me of WoW raiding, I can't stand WoW raiding. It's just nice to see mechanics in these fights--way more fun than the bosses in D2.

So here's the question: Do the bosses get new mechanics/harder AI beyond just stacked health pools in harder difficulties?

I see this as Blizzard trying to make death a tangible threat, otherwise why not just spam potions until you're blue in the face. This way they are forcing combat to become more interactive and marginally more tactical with how you approach mobs.

Yes, this is one of my favorite things they changed from D2. I think it does make combat better and more tactical. I'm not far enough into the game yet to where it is that hard yet though to know first hand.

For those of you who don't like the game or are already bored... I really do care.

Can I have your stuff? I especially need gold. Cool thanks.

I've been thoroughly impressed by the boss fights. I fuckin love them, and while they remind me of WoW raiding, I can't stand WoW raiding. It's just nice to see mechanics in these fights--way more fun than the bosses in D2.

So here's the question: Do the bosses get new mechanics/harder AI beyond just stacked health pools in harder difficulties?

AFAIK, the bosses just get harder as you raise the difficulty. They keep the same abilities and spells etc. However all the other monsters etc. in the game do get more or different abilities as you ramp the difficulty.

For those of you who don't like the game or are already bored... I really do care.
You can't really trade gold easily. I haven't found a way to drop it, I can't store it in my stash either. Really sucks too if ya die in HC because that gold is lost and you can't use it on the AH.

Yup. Loved the design philosophy around it. Ideally id like to merge the two games. Feels much more like diablo to me but lacks the polish that 100million dollars gets ya.

Yeah I feel the same way. If we could merge the two games, I think it would be the perfect ARPG lol

I agree in that I hated the potion chugging mechanic from the first 2 Diablo games. Health recovery is vastly improved.

Yup. Loved the design philosophy around it. Ideally id like to merge the two games. Feels much more like diablo to me but lacks the polish that 100million dollars gets ya.

I sincerely hope they didn't drop $100million on this game. It's decently fun, but I would expect A LOT more for that kind of cash.

Yeah I feel the same way. If we could merge the two games, I think it would be the perfect ARPG lol

Essentially we are in a transition period between two generations of gamers. The people from the 80-90s that had vastly more difficult games and freedom within those games. A newer generation from the 2000's that have only known WoW, CoD, Halo, etc... For me its really easy to see why there is a divide and heads bumping when someone says something negative or positive about games now. Especially a Blizzard game.

Essentially we are in a transition period between two generations of gamers. The people from the 80-90s that had vastly more difficult games and freedom within those games. A newer generation from the 2000's that have only known WoW, CoD, Halo, etc... For me its really easy to see why there is a divide and heads bumping when someone says something negative or positive about games now. Especially a Blizzard game.

Meh, the younger generation want hard games, too. They just don't know it yet. I think Demon/Dark Souls kinda started some rumblings in that area, and we will see more of this on the horizon.

The people from the 80-90s that had vastly more difficult games and freedom within those games.

Diablo 2 is harder than Diablo 3?

Diablo 2's stat and skill system did not give you more freedom. I think the only valid complaint about D2 -> D3 is the missing single player option, which I personally am willing to overlook since I spent maybe 2 hours out of 2000 playing in SP mode in D2.

Never in any of my posts did I say D3 was easier than D2. Read posts please. I did say the game is easy. I have also said that my Barbarian is boring because of the lack of skills. Other classes are better in this department. If your played D2 prior to synergies it did have more choice and freedom. D3 may have a lot of runes, but most of them are not good. At least on the Barb.

Diablo 2 is harder than Diablo 3?

Diablo 2's stat and skill system did not give you more freedom. I think the only valid complaint about D2 -> D3 is the missing single player option, which I personally am willing to overlook since I spent maybe 2 hours out of 2000 playing in SP mode in D2.

I don't need more freedom. I actually like building a character in role playing games. Sure, D2 skill tree was a bit screwy, but it didn't need to be thrown out. It needed to be improved.

Never in any of my posts did I say D3 was easier than D2. Read posts please. I did say the game is easy. I have also said that my Barbarian is boring because of the lack of skills. Other classes are better in this department. If your played D2 prior to synergies it did have more choice and freedom. D3 may have a lot of runes, but most of them are not good. At least on the Barb.

So which 90's game would you like Diablo 3 to be more like if you didn't mean Diablo 2?

I don't need more freedom. I actually like building a character in role playing games. Sure, D2 skill tree was a bit screwy, but it didn't need to be thrown out. It needed to be improved.

I felt the same way about the skill system until I played with a friend last night.

We have the same class (DH) and we used very different skills, felt nice to have contrasting gameplay options.

Thing is with these so called "complex" games, people then turn to online guides and steal other peoples builds. D2 took no thinking, you just did what someone else said is the best way to go. Not that the Diablo series was ever complex to begin with, its a ARPG.
And Bliz knows that. The devs have already said they are not trying to completely eliminate a "best build" but they are trying to keep all builds viable and not "one build to rule them all". They said if there is an obvious build for a class that just dominates everything, they'll address it.

I personally love to get a new level just so I can mess around with whatever new skill/rune I get and see how I like it. Some things work better against grinding through dungeons, others work better against bosses and everything in between.

You could go through the game 10 times with the same class of character and have a (sort of) different experience each time if you use different skills/runes.

/fanboy mode off. :D

I was reading up a bit on gems and such: is it worthwhile to use gems in normal? Or is it better to save them/sell them, and then use them in Nightmare+?

I was reading up a bit on gems and such: is it worthwhile to use gems in normal? Or is it better to save them/sell them, and then use them in Nightmare+?

Use gems all you want. You can remove them at will for a gold cost. One of the things they did right!

Use gems all you want. You can remove them at will for a gold cost. One of the things they did right!

Hm. I'd really like to cash in on some gold early on, but I do want to experience everything.

I also just realized from a few posts elsewhere that Enchanting/the Mystic is out the window. Wonder why that was removed.

Have you played a character up to lvl 60 in Diablo 3? I was like you at first, but aside from all the times I tried to create awesome characters in Diablo 2 I only created a Nova Sorceress. And then Nova was nerfed and my character went to hell. I tried to create a necro skeleton guy so many times but to get it up to lvl 99 through like a bunch of balance changes and trying to read like 8 guides on what was the best stat and skill allocation made no sense.

It was stupid.

Hm. I'd really like to cash in on some gold early on, but I do want to experience everything.

I also just realized from a few posts elsewhere that Enchanting/the Mystic is out the window. Wonder why that was removed.

The gems are fucking amazing. Throw a flawless red gem into your weapon, watch you dps jump a few 100. As for my the mystic was pulled they said they didn't like the mechanics they had and that it didn't really feel as meaningful as the jewelcrafter and blacksmith. It will be back in the expansion I am sure.

What class are you playing?

A wizard. Finally got meteor and am TOTALLY enjoying myself. Nothing cooler than picking up the passive so i have 120 mana (or w/e it's called), so that i can frost nova and drop 2 meteors back to back on a group that can't dodge it.

BOOM

Note to self: don't get blackout drunk after a ballgame and you'll be able to play more D3. Back at work reading this thread and all I want to do is go home and play. :(

The gems are fucking amazing. Throw a flawless red gem into your weapon, watch you dps jump a few 100. As for my the mystic was pulled they said they didn't like the mechanics they had and that it didn't really feel as meaningful as the jewelcrafter and blacksmith. It will be back in the expansion I am sure.

I wonder what theyre going to do in the expansion lore wise / adversary wise...

A wizard. Finally got meteor and am TOTALLY enjoying myself. Nothing cooler than picking up the passive so i have 120 mana (or w/e it's called), so that i can frost nova and drop 2 meteors back to back on a group that can't dodge it.

BOOM

hahaha DUDE I did this too. frost nova and 2 meteors and then I would disentegrate to finish them off.. SO MUCH FUN. I've switched it up quite a bit now though. especially after getting archon..

Note to self: don't get blackout drunk after a ballgame and you'll be able to play more D3. Back at work reading this thread and all I want to do is go home and play. :(

haha yeah. I went to a concert last night, and now sitting at work all I want to do is go home and play lol. However I do not regret seeing Thrice play for probably the last time :(

haha yeah. I went to a concert last night, and now sitting at work all I want to do is go home and play lol. However I do not regret seeing Thrice play for probably the last time :(

RED LIGHT CANT STOP SO I SPIN THE WHEEL!

hahaha fuckin love old thrice

I am seeing them in Lincoln on June 5th. When did you see them? Was it worth it?

Back