Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

What? 19,000 dropped gems for one top tier gem? That's a bit ridiculous lol

I take it they're going to have another cube to accomplish the transmutation?

"Transmutes" are done through the Jeweler artisan now. 19k is a lot for an individual. I guess the most feasible way to get one is to buy various quality gems from other players to make things go faster. Gems are also re-usable this time around so they won't have to collect dust in your inventory while you're upgrading them.

^^ Ahh good info. I didn't see the jeweler in the beta.

I'd complain about the amount of grind it would take to get a top tier gem, but i guess that's just how blizzard does things. WoW rep grinds, legendary items, D2...

still kind of a large number considering your claim that nothing above tier 5 will drop off mobs, even in inferno O_O

IMO, its better in the long run to keep the ceiling high. I'd hate to see the day when the AH is flooded with cheap T14 gems, trivializing the point of the upgrade progression.

There's some more info here http://www.diablowiki.net/Gem

They mentioned that the 3:1 upgrade ratio might be reduced to 2:1 at the highest tiers if it ends up too difficult.

Sure, though WoW is an aquired taste, visually. I never did like the look, and now it just looks old, too.

That said, D3 with the FXAA injector and minor tweaks looks fine by me.

theres an FXAA injector out there? possible ban risk with it?

I agree with you on the wow graphics... however. 9 million players.. turns out well executed is much better than innovative and beautiful.

and I agree I feel pretty satisfied with how good it looks to be honest it pleases me. Maybe its because I just played diablo 2 yesterday at 800x600 max ress hahha.

theres an FXAA injector out there? possible ban risk with it?

I agree with you on the wow graphics... however. 9 million players.. turns out well executed is much better than innovative and beautiful.

and I agree I feel pretty satisfied with how good it looks to be honest it pleases me. Maybe its because I just played diablo 2 yesterday at 800x600 max ress hahha.

I got a good laugh out of the fact that people were modding the beta =P

I guess it's not really a true mod, just an injector that can be used on a lot of different games--still though. Beta, and being improved by the community ^_^

Thanks to my friends at [H], I knew about this injector for the open beta and did enjoy the graphics it produced.

I got a good laugh out of the fact that people were modding the beta =P

I guess it's not really a true mod, just an injector that can be used on a lot of different games--still though. Beta, and being improved by the community ^_^

Thanks to my friends at [H], I knew about this injector for the open beta and did enjoy the graphics it produced.

same one people use for BF3 I was reading about?

I looked up some comparison shots I thought It looks pretty fantastic

So, for those people that sell a bunch of stuff on the RMAH, how do they report the income to the IRS in the US? Will Blizzard issue W2s? Since the items you sell are not used items and technically did not cost you anything it should be reportable income.

So, for those people that sell a bunch of stuff on the RMAH, how do they report the income to the IRS in the US? Will Blizzard issue W2s? Since the items you sell are not used items and technically did not cost you anything it should be reportable income.

I assume that there's a minimum you have to sell in order for it to be required to be reported. I'm no tax attorney but if you're selling stuff in the AH, it's up to you, not Blizzard, to report any capital gains.

any income over 10 thousand has to be reported I believe...

Source? Because Smugmug sends W2's to anyone with an income over $400/year.

One was available on Amazon last night, after I accidentally canceled my order, lol.

what I meant was.. if you have no income at all and you're only income is diablo 3 RMAH than you'd have to make 10k in order to have to file.

If you already have an income over 10k youre supposed to file everything :)

From Bashiok regarding the much reviled Monk animations:

We’re certainly aware of how we’re handling our skill animation sets, as well as your feedback regarding the monk specifically. While working on any piece of the game we have to make production calls on what has the biggest benefit for the time we’re spending on it, because time is quite simply a very precious commodity. We made some choices, some that you may not agree with, to ensure a solid level of animations throughout the game. To make a call on not displaying a weapon during a skill may allow us to animate a multitude of spell casts for a demon, a higher priority animation for another character, or unique animation to ensure an in-game cutscene feels epic. Making the tough calls on when and where the game and players as a whole will benefit most is one of the most difficult things the producers, designers and artists have to do.

It’s worth noting that in addition to making those tough calls we take a logical approach to skill animations, and there are some where we purposely do not show a weapon. This is mostly for summoning or buff abilities where a weapon doesn’t play into the skill, such as mantras, or Inner Sanctuary. There are other skills where we purposely do not show a weapon because the concept of the skill is not connected to a weapon, such as Seven-Sided Strike and Lashing Tail Kick. In addition there are skills that purposely do not show a weapon because the skill is conceptually about the monk using his fists or hands, such as Way of the Hundred Fists or Exploding Palm.

There are skills though that don’t fall into any of those, and just should have been showing weapons. When you gave us that feedback we absolutely heard your requests for additional animations, and we added a full animation suite to the three skills where we felt the impact would be the greatest; Dashing Strike, Crippling Wave, and Deadly Reach. For us that was not only a great use of our resources to get it done, but we thought it was a very visible way to relate to you that we’ve been listening.

So, all of that background and info said, we still have plans to make even more changes and improvements in patches released fairly shortly after release. In a patch we plan to change Exploding Palm, Way of the Hundred Fists, and Fists of Thunder so they don’t hide fist weapons. Since the idea is that these skills are about the monk using their fists, it just makes sense to allow fist weapons to continue to show. In addition, as we continued to refine the monk class and our design philosophies for itemization, our ideas about what weapons make sense for the monk have changed over time. To see that philosophy shift through we’re looking at simply giving monks the ability to wield more types of weapons, complete with full animation support for their skills.

Hopefully that explains some of our intent with skill animations, and not just with the monk, all of the same thought and care (if not more) has gone into crafting the animations for each class and their skills. We're of course looking forward to getting the game into your hands in a couple weeks, and seeing how everyone enjoys the class they choose, and the skills they wield.

theres an FXAA injector out there?

I dug up the link for you.. here. I'm at work so I can't see if that link is still up or not though. Still not sure what their policy on that is going to be come release time, but I am definitely going to use it if we're allowed. It really gets rid of that horrible cloudiness and darkens it up a bit (if you want it to).

CGI doesn't make the game great. If that were true, Hellgate: London would've been one of the most successful games ever created.

CGI is a part of the game just as much as everything else.. thats the point hes making that the game is epic.. the cgi is apart of that epicness. dont nit pick :p

CGI is a part of the game just as much as everything else.. thats the point hes making that the game is epic.. the cgi is apart of that epicness. dont nit pick :p

Can you actually articulate why marketing material makes a game "epic"?

CGI doesn't make the game great. If that were true, Hellgate: London would've been one of the most successful games ever created.

You know, some people enjoy cinematics and story just as much as the gameplay.

You know, some people enjoy cinematics and story just as much as the gameplay.

That's true, but all we know about the game is a small part of Act 1, so it's still pretty fair to compare this game to TL2 or PoE. Another month might be another story however. :cool:

So guys quick question on the pre-downloads.
I pre-ordered my copy from amazon with release date delivery. If I preload it on my computer now - will I be activating it on release date with my cd-key? or is the preloading on OP's link only good for if you preorder'd on battle.net?

Seriously, how do some people amass the courage to compare this EPICNESS to Path of Exile and/or Torchlight? It baffles my mind.

probably because the actual game is nothing like what is represented in that advert, maybe? i didn't get the "epic" impact possibly. they should have had a little man (or women) running around collecting gold coins, health globes, and loot; that would have been epic.

I pre-ordered my copy from amazon with release date delivery. If I preload it on my computer now - will I be activating it on release date with my cd-key? or is the preloading on OP's link only good for if you preorder'd on battle.net?

Wondering about this as well.

I cant confirm for sure, but I think the client will be the same no matter where you purchase from. As soon as you tie that CD-key to your b-net account, you can launch that game and play on release date, and basically throw the box away. Blizzard is pretty good with having a single client for the game regardless of source, because it all ties into your b.net account

Unless you got a discounted price (i think newegg sold for $50 at one time) or are buying the collectors edition, I dont see why you would pre-order from another online store. You might as well buy from blizzard direct download, so the key will already be tied to your account and you have one less thing to worry about launch day.

Work will keep me from getting engrossed in the game launch week, so I'm in no big rush. I did pre-order CE's from a few places (I want my wings, damnit!), so I might not get it day one.

Here is my Wizard first build focusing on fire and ice, with an emphasis on increasing damage done to multiple targets with debuffs. I dub it the glass shotgun
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#ZRYkfm!WeY!ZccYbc

I cant confirm for sure, but I think the client will be the same no matter where you purchase from. As soon as you tie that CD-key to your b-net account, you can launch that game and play on release date, and basically throw the box away. Blizzard is pretty good with having a single client for the game regardless of source, because it all ties into your b.net account

Unless you got a discounted price (i think newegg sold for $50 at one time) or are buying the collectors edition, I dont see why you would pre-order from another online store. You might as well buy from blizzard direct download, so the key will already be tied to your account and you have one less thing to worry about launch day.

Work will keep me from getting engrossed in the game launch week, so I'm in no big rush. I did pre-order CE's from a few places (I want my wings, damnit!), so I might not get it day one.

Here is my Wizard first build focusing on fire and ice, with an emphasis on increasing damage done to multiple targets with debuffs. I dub it the glass shotgun

This is correct. It is just like wow/sc2. It doesn't matter how you obtain the client. Your account being flagged with a d3 license is what matters.

holy shit, I just realized my wife will be out of town that week until the 18th. I'm not going to get any sleep playing this while she's gone. I'll probably be hunched over starving and barely alive at my computer when she comes home. :p

holy shit, I just realized my wife will be out of town that week until the 18th. I'm not going to get any sleep playing this while she's gone. I'll probably be hunched over starving and barely alive at my computer when she comes home. :p

My wife and I will be taking the 18th off of work to enjoy some Diablo goodness.

My wife and I will be taking the 18th off of work to enjoy some Diablo goodness.

My current plan, since I took the 15th and 16th off, is to wake up early, get breakfast, pick up my CE at 10am, go home, play for 15 hours straight, pass out, wake up and repeat.

Glorious.

My current plan, since I took the 15th and 16th off, is to wake up early, get breakfast, pick up my CE at 10am, go home, play for 15 hours straight, pass out, wake up and repeat.

Glorious.

I'm taking the 18th off that way I can get off on thursday go home play the entire night.. play all day friday (snacks and soda included) L.A. on saturday. more diablo on sunday :D

I'll be playing it when I get time. I also plan on getting fresh air, eating, and not playing 15 hours a day.

LOL OK. But on a more serious note, I'm hoping to get some solid time in after work on 15th, pending server crashes.

I have the launch day booked off and I'm crossing my fingers that I will be able to play at midnight. If not May 21st is a holiday here in Canada so I'm sure I will get a lot of playtime in on the weekend.

Thanks.

I like having the hard copy and the boxes for all my games, It makes me feel that I actually own the game. And they make a nice display :D

Looks like fun but how do you plan on generating arcane power, and what do you do when you have none? I love killing stuff with shock pulse runed with explosive bolts and watching shit explode. I'm still on the fence between Barb and Wizard. In WoW I've played manly casters (Priest/mage/moonkin), but I've always wanted a warrior, so I may go with the Barb for a change of pace. I loved the Barb in the beta.

Last edited:
Thought's for a Barb build that basically does not spend rage other than using it for Battle Rage every 30 seconds and for using Wrath of the Berserker when it is up. I'm not sure how frenzy works as I did not mess with it very much in beta (Can I keep up frenzy stacks and Punish stacks at the same time?). But it seems like you would do massive damage. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#aWXViP!Ycg!bcYcaZ

Bash with Punish Rune = 6% damage per stack, stacks 3 times.
Frenzy with Maniac Rune=4% damage per stack, stacks 5 times.
Battle Rage with Maurader's Rage Rune= Increases damage by 30%
Wrath of the Berserker with Insanity Rune= Increases damage by 100%
Using a sword/dagger with Weapons Master passive skill= 15% increased damage.
Berserker Rage passive skill = 25% more damage while at maximum fury.
Brawler passive skill= 30% more damage as long as there are 3 enemies near you.

I have no idea how these effects will all stack, if they are additive or if they multiply, but I would think you would pretty much destroy everything. The only issue I see is that it lacks AoE other than Revenge, but it's runed to proc more often.

Just heard how Blizzard set the difficulty for Inferno in D3. They take their best in house D3 players, and attune Inferno to where the best 4 players can barely beat a boss. Then when D3 launches, they're going to double the difficulty of Inferno. This will ensure that no one will beat it for a while, barring godly players.

Back