Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

Pre-download isn't necessary. You will however need to install the game upon release. Pre-downloading the game brings you that much closer to having the game ready to run.

Having the beta installed doesn't do anything for you.

Ah, ok, so if I understand you correctly, I might as well uninstall the beta right? I'll then just install from disks or pre-download as necessary.

Ah, ok, so if I understand you correctly, I might as well uninstall the beta right? I'll then just install from disks or pre-download as necessary.

yeah beta isnt gonna do anything for you ;D

you can predownload it now even if you purchased physical. you are just unable to install it until the official release.

yeah beta isnt gonna do anything for you ;D

you can predownload it now even if you purchased physical. you are just unable to install it until the official release.

Yep, I have to wait until I get off on Tuesday to get my CE from BB (it was the only place i could preorder and pickup in stores), but when I bring it home, the game will be installed and ready to launch.

I still dont understand how the RMAH ruins your experience in the game.

Can you not beat the game without ever using the RMAH?
Will you just assume everyone that goes through the game faster than you had to use the RMAH to beat you?
Does people who play with you that use the RMAH make any part of the game harder for you because they used the RMAH?
Whatever the value of gold comes out to be, doesnt that mean that you can sell your items for more gold as well to get what you need?

Blizzard stated that all items on the AH are player driven, meaning everyone can get everything without spending a dime on the RMAH.

It just doesn't seem fair when someone else can buy their own leet loot while you as a player who chose not to pay has to grind hours or possibly never get a similar item.

I don't mind too much, but I do see his point. I will play hardcore after beating the game once, or whatever is needed to unlock it.

It just doesn't seem fair when someone else can buy their own leet loot while you as a player who chose not to pay has to grind hours or possibly never get a similar item.

I don't mind too much, but I do see his point. I will play hardcore after beating the game once, or whatever is needed to unlock it.

did you play diablo 2 ? because you are fooling yourself if you think everybody you played with didnt buy items everybody did ;P

I know I'll end up spending some cash on loot after crashing and burning too often on inferno ... I know it's bad a thing but I can't resist!!

Those who downloaded the game early will be interested in this tidbit:

We will be unlocking the game's installer at 8:01 a.m. PDT on May 14. This will allow you to begin installing the game, troubleshoot any issues you run into, download and install the launch day 1.0.1 patch, and be ready to play as soon as the servers come online.

Also, for launch night, they are expecting login delays:

Please be aware that a delay of up to 40 seconds is possible while the game attempts to connect you. If your connection doesn’t succeed in 40 seconds, you’ll be presented with an Error 37 message and asked to try again. If you see this error it does in fact mean that you should try again.

More info on launch preparations here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/5338015/Launch_Day_Preparation_Guide-5_7_2012#blog

but it's going to happen anyways on the black market, what's so hard to understand about that? You're giving an option to make cash while being entertained, this is the best thing that's ever been put into a video game.

This is why they are getting rid of skill trees and allowing "on the fly" skill change. The problem with skill points and skill trees is that there are spells that you'd be stupid not to take, along with skills that you never use but have to take just to get the ultimate spells. Before synergy, did anyone pump more than 1 point into cold arrow or fire arrow? The D2 solution was synergy, so you'd pump more into a tree to beef up your ultimate even more. This easily lead down to a "this is the best build, you're wasting points if you dont build your character this way." People calculated it, and everyone followed.

Poorly designed skill trees*

Good trees should not do the things you said above. Again, lazy development. Instead of taking the time to create and balance good skill trees, they removed them.

I'm excited to play with the D3 skill system, but i would have like it more if they had trees also. The jewelcrafter, at least, will give you some ability to customize your character in hardiness vs sustainability vs nuke (i hope).

Good trees should not do the things you said above. Again, lazy development. Instead of taking the time to create and balance good skill trees, they removed them.

I'm excited to play with the D3 skill system, but i would have like it more if they had trees also. The jewelcrafter, at least, will give you some ability to customize your character in hardiness vs sustainability vs nuke (i hope).

I'm curious, can you point me to an example of what you consider a well designed skill tree? Of all the games I've played I can't think of a skill tree where points aren't wasted just to get to the good stuff.

I think the half-trillion combinations of 6 skills with one of 5 runes each, with 3 passive abilities gives some pretty good flexibility in character building, then add gemmimg for that extra umph, I don't think I'll miss runewords

every game ever made has had poorly designed skill trees then. Because there is always an optimal way to play your character. no such thing as customization with skill trees. just the best way or the only way. you either had the right points into the right skills or you blew dick.

People need to just move on. The Skill Trees are gone. They're not coming back. Enjoy the skill & rune system. It's a lot of fun.

People need to just move on. The Skill Trees are gone. They're not coming back. Enjoy the skill & rune system. It's a lot of fun.

Yeah, got PoE for that.
and what an awesome skill chart it is. I will enjoy playing both games immensely!
15th cant come soon enough

I'm curious, can you point me to an example of what you consider a well designed skill tree? Of all the games I've played I can't think of a skill tree where points aren't wasted just to get to the good stuff.

I think the half-trillion combinations of 6 skills with one of 5 runes each, with 3 passive abilities gives some pretty good flexibility in character building, then add gemmimg for that extra umph, I don't think I'll miss runewords

I'm not sure i can point to the perfect example. I only played through the game once, but i enjoyed Titan Quest's trees, it felt like i was in control of what my character would become. I was not meta-gaming, so that could be why. But as others have said, at lanuch D2 skill trees worked just fine until they increased the difficulty to allow only the best builds to work in hell.

every game ever made has had poorly designed skill trees then. Because there is always an optimal way to play your character. no such thing as customization with skill trees. just the best way or the only way. you either had the right points into the right skills or you blew dick.

That may be true, and i can't figure out why they don't design better ones.

IMO talent trees should be crammed full of good stuff, and should make you choose between multiple good things depending on what you want your play-style to be.

I'm not sure i can point to the perfect example. I only played through the game once, but i enjoyed Titan Quest's trees, it felt like i was in control of what my character would become. I was not meta-gaming, so that could be why. But as others have said, at lanuch D2 skill trees worked just fine until they increased the difficulty to allow only the best builds to work in hell.

That may be true, and i can't figure out why they don't design better ones.

IMO talent trees should be crammed full of good stuff, and should make you choose between multiple good things depending on what you want your play-style to be.

I just dont get the complaints with the current skill system. A good way to tell how good its going to be is using the skill builder on the D3 website for a character thats level 29. You have to make some hard decisions.. picking your skills is going to be hard and than picking your runes is going to make it harder :). Im excited to see a wizard that uses 6 completely different skills than I

^^ No real complaints, just discussing Trees. I don't believe that Talent Trees are inherently full of shit and a few good nuggets, i think that's a very common design flaw.

I am quite excited to play with all the skills and runes each level and see what i want my wizard to be. If their skills and runes are properly designed, there should be a very good chance that my wizard and yours will be quite different based on our varying playstyles. Same thing should be said of talent trees. If they are properly designed, our two characters should have very different allocations based on our playstyles. Too often, trees are poorly designed (like WoW's)--40% of the talents are stupid, 40% are goodish, and 20% are mandatory... which forces people to use the same 70% of talents in each build.

In titan quest, I felt like each skill or skill-improvement talent had its place in one build or another, depending on what you were after in the tree you'd chosen.

To me, when I have a skill tree in front of me, the first thing I want to do is go online and find the best skill tree for my character. I don't want to risk being a pushover later on because I spent points on a useless ability.

The Skill/rune system just makes me want to dabble in abilities and try them out. I don't feel the need to research stuff. I just want to play.

For those that played open beta. Is it worth shelling out the money? Or should I not waste my time? I enjoyed diablo 2 back in the day... but that was a long time ago.

For those that played open beta. Is it worth shelling out the money? Or should I not waste my time? I enjoyed diablo 2 back in the day... but that was a long time ago.

If the rest of the game is exactly like the beta, then no.

I pre-ordered in hopes that the rest of the game is several orders of magnitude better than the beta.

Last edited:

the beta isn't a good assessment of the game. Don't confuse the word beta with demo. It's not a demo it's a beta. It's only 1/3 of the first act and they consider it a tutorial. Personally I enjoyed the beta quite a bit and I'm obviously quite biased.. however the game will continue to get increasing better as you continue through the story. Tutorials are always the part you want to skip through as fast as possible anyways amiright :p

I pre-ordered in hopes that the rest of the game is several orders magnitude better than the beta.

Anyone who didn't buy the game or has no intentions of buyin the game ONLY because of beta impressions, needs to gtfo.

The beta was just that, a tiny impression of the beginning of the game ON TOP OF IT BEING ON THE EASIEST difficulty.

It'll be more difficult, and much more lengthy.

I know what some boss enrage timers are, but to save spoilers I'll transpose it onto the Skeleton King. So, as an imaginary example, in Inferno if you don't kill the Skeleton King within four minutes he starts spawning three times the amount of skeletons. That creates a much tougher situation, but it's one you could very well handle if played right.

People kiting the Skeleton King around for an hour with their level 3 characters is fun to see. It's not fun when it's level 60's at end game and item drops matter. To make these kills and thus a character's progression matter we need to try to fight cheesy tactics that allow people to just flop through the game.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4846824867?page=24#465

Looks like bosses and other important mobs will have enrage timers to act as equipment checks and to prevent players from using cheese tactics to farm loot.

Anyone who didn't buy the game or has no intentions of buyin the game ONLY because of beta impressions, needs to gtfo.

The beta was just that, a tiny impression of the beginning of the game ON TOP OF IT BEING ON THE EASIEST difficulty.

It'll be more difficult, and much more lengthy.

Sure, the difficulty is a given, so is the length. There are other reasons to be a little turned off by it.

I didn't like the blacksmith story. He was like "damn, can you help me kill my wife?" you meet up with the wife, he kinda consoles/apologizes without emotion, you kill her, then he basically goes "thanx bud!".

Then, the Skeleton King starts chasing Cain and he's all "LOL, I will destroy you!". Nothing creepy about it.

I really really hope the narrative is much more brutal and dark than that. I'm not terribly interested in Sunday morning cartoon themes.

^^ I'm hoping for this as well. The writing and voice acting in the beta were fuckin horrible.

Every time someone opened their mouth i found myself rolling my eyes at the execution.

I pre-ordered in hopes that the rest of the game is several orders of magnitude better than the beta.

What's wrong with the game? The beta was awesome, and it makes you realize how much more awesome the actual game will be since the beta has probably less than 5% of the actual game in it (and hardly any content).

1) You have no idea how difficult or easy it will be to get "leet" loot; the game isn't out yet.

2) How does someone else having good gear affect your enjoyment of the game in any way? You won't even know who has bought their gear through the RMAH and who found it "legitimately". Considering that everything on the RMAH will be stuff found by players, it stands to reason that you could also find or craft good gear.

The enjoyment is supposed to be in playing the actual game, not comparing yourself to everyone else and feeling that you meet some standard. Your gear isn't quite as good? Play the damn game and find some new stuff.

The enjoyment is supposed to be in playing the actual game, not comparing yourself to everyone else and feeling that you meet some standard. Your gear isn't quite as good? Play the damn game and find some new stuff.

My enjoyment will likely come from winning in PVP.

If you end up playing against team after team who have purchased their PVP gear on the RMAH, i could definitely see it ruining my enjoyment of the endgame.

My enjoyment will likely come from winning in PVP.

If you end up playing against team after team who have purchased their PVP gear on the RMAH, i could definitely see it ruining my enjoyment of the endgame.

Again though, not to beat a dead horse...but that was exactly what happened in D2 as well, they just purchased it via a website instead of a RMAH.

It's nothing new to online arpgs, all of them allow you to get gear you didn't "earn" in some way or another.

Again though, not to beat a dead horse...but that was exactly what happened in D2 as well, they just purchased it via a website instead of a RMAH.

Yep. Hopefully they add in a gear level comparison in their matchmaking. Doubtful though, if WoW is any indication.

Which means that endgame will likely end up with the winners being people who spend lots of money on the game, or people who spend insane amounts of time farming. I'll likely not be in either group, which means i will not win in PVP... :(

Again, *hopes* that they match people with similar gear against eachother.

Sure, the difficulty is a given, so is the length. There are other reasons to be a little turned off by it.

I didn't like the blacksmith story. He was like "damn, can you help me kill my wife?" you meet up with the wife, he kinda consoles/apologizes without emotion, you kill her, then he basically goes "thanx bud!".

Then, the Skeleton King starts chasing Cain and he's all "LOL, I will destroy you!". Nothing creepy about it.

I really really hope the narrative is much more brutal and dark than that. I'm not terribly interested in Sunday morning cartoon themes.

It's nothing new from Diablo 1 or 2, as far as story/narrative go.

Hey, I'm with you, I'd love to see a deep and engrossing story in an ARPG like this, but most people just want to kill shit a mildly interesting thematic setting.

I know it's cool these days to hate on any big name titles, but personally I'm really looking forward to D3. The beta was fun and I know the full version is only going to expand the experience further.

Hey, I'm with you, I'd love to see a deep and engrossing story in an ARPG like this, but most people just want to kill shit a mildly interesting thematic setting.

I know it's cool these days to hate on any big name titles, but personally I'm really looking forward to D3. The beta was fun and I know the full version is only going to expand the experience further.

Pretty much. Looking forward to next Tuesday.

This. 100% this.

All Blizzard is doing is making it safe to buy gear/gold with real money if you choose to do so. Anyone who has played Diablo in the past knows that people buying from 3rd party sites was extremely common. If you claim otherwise, you are kidding yourself. Blizzard knew it was going to happen again with D3, so they just decided to take it in-house instead of having to buy from "loots-diablo-3-gold-sale-bestprices.info." It's an extremely good business decision too since it's probably going to make them a killing. Someone buying gear shouldn't affect your game one bit; no more than playing with someone that got extremely lucky with their drops. The PvP argument would be valid, except that Blizzard has stated several times that D3 PvP isn't really designed to be competitive.

I'm looking forward to it, too. I'm just not getting any sense of danger from the world, narrative, or NPC's. It just seems a bit monotone and bland.

The PvP argument would be valid, except that Blizzard has stated several times that D3 PvP isn't really designed to be competitive.

Do we have any information on the PVP? looked like WoW arena to me, how will that not be competitive?

Back