Diablo 3 Beta

I got in this morning too. Never received an email, but it's active on my account. Check battle.net to see if you are in!

Just played the Beta for a couple of hours.

They need to address the issue where you can target enemies off the screen.

Also they need to fix the cursor was able to get the cursor at least an inch away from the enemy and it still had them highlighted.

Playing a Melee Wizard. Its pretty fun.

Last edited:
Anyone else getting the error:

"Your request as timed out (ERROR_3006)" when creating a public game?

I'm getting a similar error when creating a private game as well.

Anyone else getting the error:

"Your request as timed out (ERROR_3006)" when creating a public game?

I'm getting a similar error when creating a private game as well.

Likely because you're losing connection to their servers.

Remember, gotta have an internet connection to play at all, even in a private solo game.

I'm guessing their servers are under load from testing if nothing else. I had tons and tons of lag when I was trying to play that would lock the game up for 15-20 seconds at a time. (not unexpect in a beta really)

As a long time Blizzard fan and supporter, I have to say after I got accepted last night, I was ecstatic. After playing as a Witch Doctor, the game was just "mediocre", yes.. I just did not feel like the game was as good as it was like D2. But that could also be because playing as the Witch Doctor was probably the most boring time I've had in a Diablo game ever.

Will try other classes and update my impressions.

As a long time Blizzard fan and supporter, I have to say after I got accepted last night, I was ecstatic. After playing as a Witch Doctor, the game was just "mediocre", yes.. I just did not feel like the game was as good as it was like D2. But that could also be because playing as the Witch Doctor was probably the most boring time I've had in a Diablo game ever.

I think that's why I made a Barbarian to start with...

EDIT: I can't even log into the game right now at all.. ERROR_300008

I think that's why I made a Barbarian to start with...

EDIT: I can't even log into the game right now at all.. ERROR_300008

I'm also doing barbarian, try logging in again. mine had same error and then worked immediately after.

Don't get your hopes up. I tried Monk class, because that was the most appealing class to me, expecting something similar to Assasin, and I got bored. Granted, I only got to level 7, but the entire experience was completely brainless. I literally played the game with my right hand on the mouse, and using the two buttons, while my head was resting on my left hand.

The entire time, I used the 'whatever' spell to leach mana (or energy, or whatever the heck it's called. And the spell itself could be called "tickle your enemy for 6 energy") and every now and then I used roundhouse kick. :eek:

I dunno, I need to play Diablo 2 to get a better perspective, but I'm not really enjoying it as much as I was hoping I would. I guess part of the problem is, I've been waiting for this game for who knows how long, and my expectations are way higher than what they can deliver. And I just refuse to be happy with anything less than perfect :(

As far as no skill points at level up, no skill tree, and so on... it blows. Yes, most people in D2 ended up with the same character anyway, but at least it left some room to play around with and experiment. I feel like the end result in D3 will be the same... only this time, we're forced to have that one build, and that's it. I'd go away with level ups at this point, or even reduce cap level to 20, or however many skills there are. What's the point of leveling up your character if 80% of them don't give you anything? (the 80% I pulled out of my ass...). One level up = one new skill. Done. :rolleyes:

Started game with witch doctor. Was boring. I tried wizard next and its a lot more fun. This game is a def buy from me.

It has its cons but for what it is worth it is the best top down rpg out there and its only in beta.

Started game with witch doctor. Was boring. I tried wizard next and its a lot more fun. This game is a def buy from me.

It has its cons but for what it is worth it is the best top down rpg out there and its only in beta.

Thank god, I hope you're right.

Bought Titan Quest for $5 on a Steam Sale and so far that's quite a bit more interesting than the Diablo 3 Beta. :(

One other peeve I have is that a lot of the good loot so far has been stuff my class can't even use. In Diablo 2 it seemed like there was a lot less specific loot (a bit more after LoD but not that bad).

Don't get your hopes up. I tried Monk class, because that was the most appealing class to me, expecting something similar to Assasin, and I got bored. Granted, I only got to level 7, but the entire experience was completely brainless. I literally played the game with my right hand on the mouse, and using the two buttons, while my head was resting on my left hand.

Try getting to level 10, and crafting some items. The Monk becomes much, much more fun after that.

Try getting to level 10, and crafting some items. The Monk becomes much, much more fun after that.
Thanks. I'll do that. I hope it's true for all the classes, that they all get better with time. :cool:

I'll give this a shot as well tomorrow maybe. The "fun factor" just wasn't there from the get go for me, so we'll see how it goes from 10+ if I get time to play tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestion/Insight.

I've been in the beta for some time now and got tired of it after leveling all the different classes. I think that it's very hard to judge D3 by this, even disregarding the inevitable beta bugs. The problem I have is that it's just too short. For me the meat of the first 2 was always after a few levels, most noticeably after act 1 in D2. Of course they can't just give out the whole game to beta testers, but I think to really get a feel for the game I need to spend some more time with higher level characters and varied environments without trudging through the introductory dungeons over and over.

The thing was this.. Diablo II was fun right from the get go.. Diablo III... not so much. I'll still be getting it and giving Blizzard the benefit of the doubt.

I personally dislike skill trees. I don't want to have to create multiple characters of an given class to try out other builds. As long as they have enough variety or Armour, items, skills to support all styles of play I'm all for it. Ex. Give a magic user enough spells that they can create different spell sets to try. I feel this choice is ultimately more flexible as I personal would other wise look up a build guide and follow it.

My [H] name is taken from my D2 barbarian, unfortunately Bliz cut back the name field length. I am now RagingSamstr :(

One thing I always love about the Diablo series is the music, it's very hypnotic and helps create the haunting ambiance that defines the Diablo world. and you may say the graphics are "meh" but I'm ecstatic that that I can get 1080p, the old 800X600 D2 max rez was quite infuriating.

I was disappointed in the graphics. I don't need a leap forward to next gen but they didn't meet my expectations. I really hope it is just because it is beta.

Played the witch doctor last night, out of mana out of mana out of mana out of mana out of mana more than a little annoying.

Not as good as I hoped for but I'm sure I will buy it.

Granted Blizz is dumbing a lot of what made the game *really* interesting in the beginning... but once you delve into crafting it really does open up some new gameplay options. Keep in mind folks, we are only seeing a minuscule part of the game at this point. As for the graphics, they are perfectly fine for the atmosphere of the game. I see zero reason for a more "technically advanced" graphics engine.

Bought Titan Quest for $5 on a Steam Sale and so far that's quite a bit more interesting than the Diablo 3 Beta. :(

And the sad thing? Titan Quest came out in 2006 and it still has better graphics than Diablo 3.

Not that graphics are super important in this type of game, but I think Blizzard has had enough time and money to look better than a 2006 game.

I really dont like the concept of lvling up to unlock hotbar slots. I guess this wont matter once I lvl enough to get them all unlocked.

I dont like having 6 skills in my skillbook and only 3 slots to choose from on the hotbar.

That being said, I did have fun playing to lvl 8 last night with the Wizard class.

Well, it will matter, because you can only use so many skills at any given time. That is the other major change they made trying to kill off cookie cutter builds (along with no stat point distribution). Eventually you will have way more skills than slots.

I got in on the first wave of the D3 beta. Played it to death, and it was enjoyable, but I have not played it in probably 4 or 5 weeks. The amount of content is so small that I don't think anyone would love the greatest game in the world when it is that repetitive. Now that they have changed everything, I will probably spend some time on it this weekend.

Okay, so I downloaded the beta and started playing for a few hours last night. Here are my initial observations:

1) Since I downloaded the day after the initial release of the extended beta, my download and install were pretty quick and no real issues.

2) The graphics are meh, like most people have been saying, I was hoping they would be a little bit more artsy, but they also aren't completely horrible.

3) The gameplay is very smooth, very easy, and fun. It is a prototypical hack n slash game where you basically just go around killing everything in sight. Health drops are ridiculous, no real need for potions, and the equipment drops are also pretty ridiculous.

4) The skill level of the beta is really low and the xp gain is pretty high. I went from level 0 to level 9 in just about 2 hours of play. And pretty much the whole time all I did was click left or right mouse buttons to activate my abilities which seemed endlessly available. There didn't seem to be any real challenge to the combat and I wasn't really sure how the items really helped or didn't help me.

5) The skill tree as such as it is, is really basic. I have to agree with many others here that I would have liked to see a bit more variety here. The most they do is limit you to a few slots early on making you choose which abilities you want active at the time. As you level up you can get more abilities active at once, but there are only a few options for each character and very limited customization of your class from what I can see so far. I wish they would give more options here and let you flush out your character more.

This all leads me to believe that the beta version is not going to be the same as the finished in terms of challenge. I think they have purposefully made it easier so that beta testers can get further more easier and test out more of the systems. That being said, I really wish the skill level was still more difficult and there were more scenaries where some thought actually has to go into fighting monsters. I have to agree with many that the game is very much dumbed down and takes a lot of customization away from the user, which I think really hurts replayability. The action is pretty much the same kinds of things over and over again, with little variety. Even so, I do find that it is rather fun and I am looking forward to playing more. It does remind me of the original Diablo in many senses where I can just get on and start killing things and not have to think too hard. Is it worth $60 when it comes out? I don't think so in its current state, but if they make it a bit more challenging and maybe add some more customization options it will be, at least in my mind.

I got in with this last round of invites. Very difficult to compare to D1/D2. It is going to be hampered by the success and connection that players had for those games no matter what Blizzard does. I think a lot of people were hoping for a better looking with fresh story line but exact same feature set as D2.
This is not that.
The crafting seems cool.
The gameplay is good.
Those complaining about the graphics make it sound like it looks worse than D2. I disagree but people obsess about different things. Judge for yourself and if you don't like it use the mod that is being passed around to sharpen everything up. It makes it look a fair bit different. (The mod does not mod the game, just some directx files or something, not sure about all the details.)

Barbarian, bored me to tears, but I was tired. Wizard is a lot of fun, have been enjoying it. At it's heart D3 is a coop hack and slash item hunt. The gameplay and I bet the environments we have not seen will fit that mold. I would guess that most people will not care as long as the fun/addiction of the full game meets expectations. The beta is not going to tell us that. I played through the first part of Diablo2 recently and besides the nostalgia I was bored to tears with all that crap up until Andarial.

Make sure you play coop before giving up on the beta. Multiplayer in this game is pretty great. You all stay on the same quest and actually do it together. Not like in diablo2 where a high-level guy could join and kill Diablo while you were doing Den of Evil.

The other cool thing is they actually make use of the 'must play single player online'. You can set your game to be truly private, or you can just allow friends to join it. So you could be playing, a buddy could hop in for a while (and would be on your quest), then he leaves and its back to just you doing single player.

well when i played diablo 3 higher ppl can join still. it makes the game a lot harder for the weaker guy because monsters get stronger

What's with all the butt-hurt about graphics in this game? It's closed beta, it's Diablo and it's a Blizzard title. Diablo 2 didn't even have that great of graphics at the time (See: Rune). It's about addicting social gameplay with this franchise, and this seems to give me that enjoyment so far. I played last night with 2 friends that also got into the beta. We had a blast for even just an hour that we played.

Yea I love how you can join a friends game if he/she makes it available to do so right from character selection.

I once again.... did not get.... wtf.... ><. My desire to even buy this game when it comes out is fading by the minute. I already canceled my pre-order. Have fun guys...

I once again.... did not get.... wtf.... ><. My desire to even buy this game when it comes out is fading by the minute. I already canceled my pre-order. Have fun guys...

Wait, you canceled your pre-order just because you didn't get into the Beta and some people aren't liking the Beta experience as much as they hoped?

And the sad thing? Titan Quest came out in 2006 and it still has better graphics than Diablo 3.

Not that graphics are super important in this type of game, but I think Blizzard has had enough time and money to look better than a 2006 game.

Yeah, I completely agree. It's clear they just took WoW-level graphics (actually, seems even worse than current WoW graphics) and didn't bother to improve on it.

Yeah, I completely agree. It's clear they just took WoW-level graphics (actually, seems even worse than current WoW graphics) and didn't bother to improve on it.

its D2 graphics at 1920x1200, nothing new to it.

I dunno, I need to play Diablo 2 to get a better perspective, but I'm not really enjoying it as much as I was hoping I would.

Yeah, I did the same sometime before I got into the beta and D2 was more brainless in the early levels, as I remembered. The most efficient thing to do with the Barb was pure hack n slashing throughout the first 2-3 ACTS.

I got invite and played a bit last night.
Is it just me or torchlight looks and plays better?

The witch doctor in the Beta is easy mode. The 3 hounds you can summon are equivalent to 3 tanks who never get low on health. Mana regen is way to overpowered, you can channel firebats untill everything on the screen is dead. The overall difficulty needs tweaking as I never did have to use a health potion or never really needed to run over any of the health globes.

I just wanted to address this one comment.
First, I understand your comment in the sense that it feels disappointing. To understand why Blizzard made those design choices, you have to do a lot of back reading. I'll try to summarize.

In Diablo 2 (which if you haven't been playing recently, it's surprising how much they continued to update that thing...) and World of Warcraft the developers noticed a trend: players were placing points in the exact same locations every-time and any changes that were made were only made with the purpose of creating an optimal/perfect build.

WoW's talent point system had a massive overhaul as a result of this. They realized that having a talent tree that everyone filled out the same way for a given build ultimately came down to "false choice." They have since been trying to design RPG systems that are fundamentally different than systems which look like there are decisions, but ultimately result in cookie cutter builds.

An example is the Priest (which is a class I played.) Although there were three (usable) options as a Priest (which made the Priest versatile) all the builds using those three variations ended up the same. There would be only a 4 skill point personal preference difference for a Holy, Disc, or Shadow Priest which is minimal at best when you consider at the time there was 71 skill points (IIRC) at level cap (I'm sure certain classes had even less choice.) With that in mind, it wasn't a large leap for Blizzard to make the assessment that it made more sense to simply select your specialization, that comes as a package, and try to find other ways to offer choice and optimization for each individuals character builds (rather than skill points in a tree.)

Whether you like the changes of course is subjective, but what impresses me about Blizzard is that not only did they notice that as a design flaw, they have been taking steps to change it and keep it interesting.

Amen. I agree 100%
Although I hope they can implement a system that has depth with interesting and difficult character choices, that requires some form of thought process.

Back