DFI-Street Gives DFI the boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
so i guess this means when you post on dfi street that your dfi mainboard has a problem they will NOT tell you to stop whining, its a user problem, and then ban you?

Bro... DFI is perfect. There's no such thing as a bad board. It's always user error. Grow up. ;)

Tmod said:
Hmmm seems we have a discrepancy here.

I have permission from Travis to post this snippet and seeing that it is only his words and not anyone's else I can use it.

So to set the record straight here is that snippet.

Travis said:
well tell you what, come and show me seriously that you have the money and you can have the site for a million flat. If you complain bitterly about the cost, I'll have to inform you of your mistake of alerting me that you had 2.1 million secured, so consider this a heck of a good deal and that I've saved you 1.1 million dollars.

So let's not make yourself look like the savior and Travis a a**hole. End Acegoober Rant

I did not label Travis as a asshole. Nor did I even convey to anyone that he was. Nor did I even have the intent of discrediting anyone with their hard earned accomplishments. I am no savior and I did not have the intentions nor the inclinations to consider myself as such.

Each primary person (Travis and myself) are to blame for this transaction not going through. Me, for having several screw-ups during my reign as a moderator on DFI-Street, and Travis' arrogance. If I had not screwed-up as a moderator then maybe Travis would not have been as negative towards my efforts to purchase DFI-Street. As of now, all of my relatives have backed-out of the arrangements I attempted to make. Nothing is more dishonorable to me than to lose the support of family.

What is said is said and what is done is done. Let's leave it at that and hope for a positive outcome to this unfortunate turn of events.

What is said is said and what is done is done. Let's leave it at that and hope for a positive outcome to this unfortunate turn of events.
Agreed,

Remember the forest always grows back after a fire.

Tmod

@#$%in' pisses me off!!!!! There were YEARS worth of research on that forum in the OC database! BAAAAAHHHHH!!! It just came out of nowhere too!! CRIPES!!!

yeah i feel ya. better google cache and save it ;). :D.

i was able to get my pc to 2600mhz easy as pie with the same ram and mobo someone else had. i just copied their settings they had in a post ;)

Wow! Suddenly its like the Street never went away!

Dont let the madness take over. Close the thread!

These are my feelings and thoughts in regard to this situation as I have posted on the MN forum as well.

I have to say, that I feel DFI has made a grave error here. DFI-Street was an inspiration to many. Irregardless of how anyone feels about Travis, they cannot deny that what Travis(HG/AG) provided for the internet community was a source of invaluable information. The contributions that HG, Rgone, and a host of others, is something very special that you do not find everyday. I certainly do not have to love the mechanic I hire to fix my car as long as he does a good job.

I think we all know, that dealing with end users, can be extremely frustrating at times. Its even harder when you are bombarded with the same questions by different people on a daily basis. Lets face, there are many people that expect someone else to do it for them. They lack the initiative to read their manual, use a search engine like google, or even search a forum for answers to their own questions in an effort to help themselves first. I guess its just easier to make a post then insteading of first making a sincere effort to help themselves.

When a product does not work like the end user thinks it should, they complain. When they do not get the level of help they think they should, they complain louder. They start claiming the product they bought is a piece of garbage, and the company that made it is even a bigger piece of garbage. DFI-Street was a forum that allowed end users to complain loudly, but still had loyal DFI users with more expertise willing to help those in need. All of a sudden these end users who complained about garbage products and garbage service, thought that their garbage was gold. Through the efforts of HG and others those who complained and even those that did not were led or pointed to the gold. I think the NF4 Ultra D series was a testament to that.

I also think everyone here has experienced a bad day, and made a few errors in judgment along the way. It would be hard to believe that any one of us has not asked to be forgiven at one time or another in our lives.

I am soon to be 50 years old this year. I have been educating myself, educating others, working with,trouble shooting, and building computer equipment since 1980. While I had an interest in computers long before it was 1980 before I took a serious interest. So I have at least 26 to 27 years invested here. While I certainly do not qualify myself as an expert, I do respect other peoples skills in regard to testing, trouble shooting, and over clocking regardless of their experience. From my perspective, it is a real tragedy for this to happen. The knowledge that was gained and shared on DFI-Street was priceless. Even if another website builds or hosts a DFI forum, it will not be the same.

One would think, that both Travis(HG) and DFI Tech, could find some common ground, and come to some agreement behind closed doors. Maybe an apology and a retraction is in order, but that is certainly the choice of the individuals involved. Certainly some guidelines can be established that both can agree to.

Certainly, DFI Tech is aware of the impact that DFI Street has had on sales. Years ago, many of us did not even know who DFI was or that they even made motherboards. The DFI-Street website has certainly changed that.

My last and final point is simple. Travis (AG), Robert(Rgone), and many others along with the fine products provided by DFI and Oskar Wu, have raised the bar in regard to what we have come to expect from manufacturer and support. This can clearly been seen by just looking a the motherboards in the market place at what the competition is currently releasing. Climbing to the top in quality, support, and performance is a very difficult task. Its even more difficult to maintain. I hope that DFI does not cut off its right arm(HG) in the US.

Sorry for my long rant.

Jason
ComicDom1 (at) aol.com

I've never had a problem with DFI-Street, my Expert would still be sitting in the box without it. Even when my previous board died I got immediate help on possible ways to resurrect it. My only complaint about their forum is the overload of information both new and old. It was kind of hard to sort through at times.

But I try to stick to dialup friendly boards and the [H] seems to be the nicest.

I would love to see what Oskar could do with the DS3/DQ6 BIOS. :) Just wishful thinking.

But I try to stick to dialup friendly boards and the [H] seems to be the nicest.

Hey thanks for mentioning that. That is one of my goals for the HardForum. Good to hear that someone appreciates it.

i am not shocked at all, the guy was a loose cannon and quite rude at times, surprised me that DFI ever supported dfi-street officially to begin with

the forums themselves had a plethora of information, great resource

i wonder if he took the site down because dfi hadn't fixed the well known m5288 bug yet or acknowledged it as a problem in boards people would rma, among other things. thats what i think happpened.

i wonder if he took the site down because dfi hadn't fixed the well known m5288 bug yet or acknowledged it as a problem in boards people would rma, among other things. thats what i think happpened.

he took the site down because he couldn't control his mouth and pissed off DFI, so they stopped supporting(paying) for the site

Hmmm seems we have a discrepancy here.

I have permission from Travis to post this snippet and seeing that it is only his words and not anyone's else I can use it.

So to set the record straight here is that snippet.

So let's not make yourself look like the savior and Travis a a**hole. End Acegoober Rant

The bottom line is Travis and his crew worked very hard through out the years to make Dfi-Street into what it was(is).

This came at the expense of Travis's own pocket. If DFI actually had a hand in the site they would now have the database and all the content of that site.

For all that had problems on the site was it because you didn't follow the rules or couldn't handle the truth? Hell we all have bad days and nobody here is any exception.

I know I get ticked when I am asked the same question over and over and the answer is right in a sticky. There are some extremely lazy people on some forums.

Rules are rules and while the street did have some strict rules it was to expedite the response to your questions or problems. How can a problem be addressed if they have no idea what equipment you have?

Anyway we have no control over what DFI is going to do from this point on and does it really do any good to bash a person?

There is more to life then worrying about what someone did that offended you, If you can't handle it then here is a straw suck it up.

Tmod
right on dude !! :)

yeah i feel ya. better google cache and save it ;). :D.

i was able to get my pc to 2600mhz easy as pie with the same ram and mobo someone else had. i just copied their settings they had in a post ;)
I went and grabbed my ocdb entries through the cache. Can't find my pics from the best entry I had but now I got them again. Special thanks to tmod for all his great work on his bios disk. :) Hopefully everything works out for the-street and those of us who want to see it back.

Nobody raised this issue in the thread - didn't DFI announce earlier this year that they were getting out of the consumer/enthusiast mobo market, and returning to the industrial market from whence they came?

Naturally I can't find the link now, but it was september-ish.

Edit: Hmmmm... http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mainboards/display/20060926062346.html

I have no further questions. The linked article splains it all. GL to Travis, RGone & all the others.

I posted there alot under "xen" when I got the dfi 939 board with agp support. I actually created a support thread there also. My experience is that I shared many of Angry_Gamer's pet peeves, because the amount of idiot, "i hate searching" noobs asking the same damn questions every day.

At times he did come off as rough but, I was one of the "lucky" ones that didn't incure his wrath. Most of the time it was someone who wanted to be spoon fed.

Anyhow, DFI support forums will rise again under different administration so DFI users have nothing to worry about. Of course this is just a theory but, IMHO, a solid one. I will not purchase a DFI board until I see that the new support solution they provide is at least as effective as DFI-Street was.

It just sucks to run an enthusiast site that has to support too many noobs.

After reading more posts and thinking some more, I sent this to the three email addresses Travis posted:

Gentlemen,

I respectfully ask you to consider allowing DFI-Street to remain your customer service site. I am a recent DFI motherboard purchaser, and I bought your product due to the outstanding reputation you have gained with the enthusiast computer people and the support of Dfi-Street. In addition to DFI's excellent products, you stand out high above your competitors due to the DFI-Street forums. I have owned motherboards from Abit, Asus, etc. and no one comes close to the level of support that you offered through Dfi-Street.

I can certainly understand the frustration you felt at the posts Travis made that caused this termination. He has problems with respect. That, is part of what has made your partnership with him over the years so unique. As a customer of DFI, I can say that while his manner is arrogant, he was sincere in his support of your product and your customers. He did his best to be honest about your product, even when it was not good for DFI, and your allowing him that freedom is what makes me value you as a company.

We Americans can be rude and disrespectful often. We value honesty and truth, however, and respect any company that allows its employees to be truthful in their opinions. I know that Travis' opinions are just that, his opinions. I value his site for providing those opinions along with factual information about your product. You may be able to create a new forum for support, but without the freedom Travis had to be truthful it will never be as good.

Please don't lower yourselves to the standards of Asus and Abit. You have a wonderful staff and wonderful engineers and you make a world class product. Please let Travis continue to be the support we need him to be for your products.

Respectfully,

Michael Thompson

I have been a little pissed at times reading Travis' answers to people that weren't being jerkoffs, but he did a d@mn fine job of providing support. I know my letter probably won't get read, but I wish they would reconsider.

I have been lurking and occasionally posting over at dfi-street since I first built my DFI rig back in July of 05. By reading about other people's problems (and troubleshooting quite a few of my own), I went from a totally noob to where now I can handle pretty much anything my computers can throw at me. I am very grateful for the education I received at dfi-street. What concerns me the most is the massive amount of data in the overclocking database that is not available anymore. If dfi-street manage to be resurrected, then all will be fine. Should another forum take over the support function, then we will have to rebuild the database. I hope that the other posters in the OCDB saved their posting and screenshots like I have, and the most important part of the dfi-street can be saved.

I also have spent a lot of time at "the street" and am disheartened by the loss of the tremendous resource that it was for OCing DFI products. I never had a bad experience with AG but certainly I read many of his rants against other posters - some of them justified and some not.

I also remember his response to the Expert deaths from voltage spikes right after the board came out. I had just purchased my own Expert and wsa left wondering what to expect especially after reading the many threads on it from XS. AG did seem to have his head in the sand about that problem.

But overall I have had a great experience at the street and I am very saddened to see it disappear. I hope that it can come back in a similar form that we know it as - with or without AG.

I want to commend everyone for having a civilized discussion about the closure and situation at DFI-Street. I have been cruising the net and have found very differing attitudes towards this situation. XS closes and deletes any thread on the subject and i4 seems to have the attitude that they are glad that it is gone. Although I don't agree with AG on everything, there was a lot of assistance provided by the forum to myself and countless others and I think that we have to include that in our assessment of the current situation.

I went to DFI-Street a lot and learned something new everyday it seemed. I was lucky enough to download the latest two beta BIOS's from Merlin on the Expert just before the site was shut down so at least I can play around with them while the dust settles and we see what rises from the ashes. Hopefully, it will be something that will allow all that accumulated knowledge at the street to be shared by all of us.

@ Tmod
BTW any chance of getting a copy of your BIOS iso? I've always used floppies to flash from but I'd love to have the collection of BIOS's for the DFI boards in case I need to flash to another one in the future.

Thanks

looks to me like someone's sitting on a pretty informative db waiting to get paid :p

as the admin of a forum, I know I'd be sad to see all the *love* I put into it's db just poof and disappear, which I'm sure some mods/members are feeling right now.

imo, Travis doesn't have the right to ask for payment, even if he covered costs out of pocket since it's beginning (no one forced him to). Everyone who has helped there has been a part of the community. I for one feel cheated, to say the least, of the wonderful wealth of information stored in that database, that this guy's sitting on, waiting to get paid just because he is admin and CAN do this.

I don't think I could sleep knowing I cut off access to information that so many people contributed selflessly.

If it's because he doesn't like DFI 'using' him, then he should see the obviousness of why. He's adminning a site that supports a company's products!

If he really cares for what his cause should be, providing help and sharing the OC passion, I'm sure he could get enough donations to support the costs of the site.

-daftie

DFI Street was the reason why I picked up an OCZ 700w gamexstream today. I figured if it was highly recommended for a DFI board, then it will do on just about any other board. Since the forums is gone, I will probably pick up the asus a8n32sli at my local store once it's in stock again.

DFI Street was the reason why I picked up an OCZ 700w gamexstream today. I figured if it was highly recommended for a DFI board, then it will do on just about any other board. Since the forums is gone, I will probably pick up the asus a8n32sli at my local store once it's in stock again.
though i understand your concern at the street being gone, we all knwo taht everyone here at teh [H] will still offer any type of motherboard support ;)

God this is awful....of course something like this happens when i need that site the most (just got new ram).

ARRGG....DFI-street is the best part of owner a DFI board. People on there are soo awesome and helpful. It will be missed.....alot.
Amen to this! :D This is why there so many noobie here now. Me too...............I feel a rant comming....hehehehe

James

it is sad that $ and ego's got in the way of a great source of information. AG has his querks but once you understood what he was all about all was good. there was nothing worse than a n00b coming in posting questions without having his configuration in the signature file. ;)

if it wasn't for dfi-streets I would have never got my first RDX200 board up and running. the worst thing lost is the database of all the motherboard monitor 5.0 setting for DFI boards :confused:

though i understand your concern at the street being gone, we all knwo taht everyone here at teh [H] will still offer any type of motherboard support ;)

Thats a good point. [H] forums and other forums will be able to help people with issues they have with DFI motherboards. most of the members at DFI are members here and at other forums. So people will find help and get there answers to issues they have. As time goes by I would expect to see some of the info. people have saved on there computers like MBM5 info and mem settings and DFI users own OCDB info will to begin to show up here and in other forums.

It does seem that [H] & MNPC forums have become the refugee camps for many of us now-exciled 'Streeters'... Hopefully this s**t-storm passes quickly and we get all of the years of research & info back.

The support available at DFI-Street was a major reason I bought my first DFI board (Expert), and there is no way I would be where I am today with my OC or level of understanding in general without the 'Street.' DFI-Street largely provided me with, and was a catalyst for, the massive education in computers, OCing, etc. I have received over the last 12 months. I am thankful that I could be a part of it for the short while that I was, and am encouraged to see many people hunkering down here at [H] (Thanks Kyle Bennett) and over at MNPC. It seems that the community of streeters will stay together and persevere through the hard time we find ourselves in.

And slightly off topic:
Nobody raised this issue in the thread - didn't DFI announce earlier this year that they were getting out of the consumer/enthusiast mobo market, and returning to the industrial market from whence they came?

Naturally I can't find the link now, but it was september-ish.

Edit: Hmmmm... http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mainboards/display/20060926062346.html

I would just like to point out that the article is about DFI NOT leaving the Enthusiast market. The title if the article:
DFI Denies Abandoning Enthusiast Mainboard Business.
DFI Claims “LanParty” and “Infinity” to Live On

I just receive this email from Frank Wong. It reads differant than the ones that I have seen posted so far:

Dear Customer,

Thanks for your E-mail. First of all, www.dfi-street.com is owned by Mr. Travis Hill (Angry_Game). We paid him as a contractor to support our customers on his forum.
As a DFI employee (contractor), he shouldn’t post negative comment for DFI new product not even launches. It would be appreciated if he could send this message to me instead of posting to public. We would improve our product by his suggestion. We provided all kind of testing equipment, M/Bs and paid him for years. He is not a regular consumer. He is straight but not smart in this case. We are also getting in trouble since Travis telling all members to E-mail us. Our mail box got jammed up. We are in loss-loss situation to terminate the contract with him.
A new forum will be ready in a couple of days. Rgone is still working with us. He will be the chief moderator in the new forum

Frank Wong
DFI San Jose

A new forum will be ready in a couple of days. Rgone is still working with us. He will be the chief moderator in the new forum

Well, I suppose that that is partially good news. I wonder if any of the other crew will post over there besides RGone. Tmod?? Will you be posting over at the 'new' DFI forum??

Well, I suppose that that is partially good news. I wonder if any of the other crew will post over there besides RGone. Tmod?? Will you be posting over at the 'new' DFI forum??
We will see. With Rgone being the new chief moderator, I may be there. I will miss alot that Happy_Games brought to the forum. Hopefully he will stop in from time to time.

I am already scattered to the wind with about 6 different forums. So RGone will do a DFI forum. I wonder if he will hire Travis.

Will Travis do a Street.com and all inclusive motherboard site?

Man this feel like a bad dream.

Another good forum R.I.P.
Even if they make another DFi support forum, it wont reach dfi-street level. There was so many tutorials and good OC database, not its all gone :mad:

my fingers are crossed that my expert board plays nice at least until a new forum is up and running. all the hard work in the oc forums, f**king gone!

Just got another reply from Frank Wong about the new DFI Forum:

Thanks for your advice. The new forum is not an official DFI one. It will be http://global.dficlub.com. Rgone is another subcontractor taking Travis place. He is a nice guy. Everybody knows him in the “street” forum

Frank

I just checked the link and it is up and running!!!

Another good forum R.I.P.
Even if they make another DFi support forum, it wont reach dfi-street level. There was so many tutorials and good OC database, not its all gone :mad:

Wrong my friend. it was the members, the DFI motherboard owners that built the street data base and posted all the info and tutorials etc. etc. should a new DFI support site start up it will be up to the DFI motherboard users to step up to the plate and help make it a great support site for DFI users. As far as the street goes i hope it's back up soon in one form or another. Have a feeling that the extensive data base may not be avaliable for us if in fact a new DFI site is created.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back