Deus Ex : Mankind Divided

I picked up DE:MD last xmas, finally got around to trying it out last week. I was instantly turned off by the horrible mouse handling and poor graphics performance. Uninstalled. Will try again later. :(

Is a GTX 970 not enough to run this game at reasonably high settings? (rig in sig) At this point I'm thinking of waiting 'till my next GPU upgrade and trying this one again.

When I first started it up, I cranked up the graphics settings to high (don't remember the specifics, but I didn't max it) turned up the FOV slightly (think I had it at 88 or 90), and checked key bindings. In game the FOV actually felt too wide - first time that's ever happened to me. Mouse felt like it had a huge delay in the movement, and when it did move it jerked all over the place way too fast. I dialed down the mouse sensitivity 'till it started feeling really sluggish, but never did get it to feel playable. Think I was actually getting a touch of motion-sickness by the time I quit - I play tons of FPS games, so that's really not normal for me.

I've played a lot of graphically intense games on this rig: Witcher3, GTA5, Rise of Tomb Raider, DOOM, AC:Syndicate, etc, etc. Normally when I crank the settings up enough to get the frame-rate uncomfortably low, it's generally still smooth and playable. I have a really hard time believing DE:MD is that much more of a resource hog than any other game I've played. What gives?? Hopefully they get it patched up and fix the mouse handling some time before I'm ready to try it again. Weird and disappointing performance so far.

Edit - probably wouldn't hurt to look up some settings guides for this one too. Any recommendations/links? Also haven't had time to read through this whole thread yet. Just diving in and figured I'd give my first impressions.

Last edited:
I never had any of the issues you've described with my 980ti, so you might need patches & maybe the graphics drivers were giving you issues?

It was a fresh install on Steam last week, should have been fully patched. Looks like I'm on driver 376.19. Wouldn't hurt to update - thanks for the reminder.

Shame. Apparently they're claiming sales were down, but that is likely due to the game being a bit rushed. Especially on PC. Slow start but it gets better, much better than most other games on the market as of late. I also liked the Tomb Raider games (preferred 2013 over Rise), but Deus Ex is the better game IMO. Problem is they're shifting Tomb Raider around to another studio, so who knows how that might turn out. We'll probably get a bunch of crappy super hero games, a rehashed underwhelming Tomb Raider and no Dues Ex. I'd rather have them take their time and do a proper MD sequel and allow Crystal Dynamics to take their time and make a worth sequel to TR.

I have absolutely zero interest in Marvel games. I only watched a few of the movies, and they ranged from okay to trash. I can't imagine the games being any better.

I mirror most your comments. Definitely enjoyed 2013 TR over Rise of the Tomb Raider. And I'm so sick of Marvel and all other related Super Hero movies and TV series I could go 10 years without seeing another one and it would probably still be too soon. I'm guessing Squeenix sees it as their ticket to print money, but the bottom is going to drop out any time, and then they will be heavily invested in another failing franchise. Then they'll have to run out and find another proven IP they can reboot successfully once, and then dilute.

I love them for the franchises they've revived, but hate them for everything they do to them after that.

Maybe SE can farm the IP out like Bethesda did to Obsidian for Fallout New Vegas? Throw us a bone, somebody?

It would be a shame if the IP is put on the shelf for a long period of time. Not like this one didn't take a while to come out as it is. With at least some of the content being done, I'm also in favor of outsourcing the game to a competent developer. Even just a really big expansion that can offer additional closure would be better than waiting for a long time only to get something partially created via old tech.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I'd love for Obsidian to work their magic on DX, but I highly doubt it will happen. :(

like this
Wow, this game is only $17 on steam atm it feels like they have given up on the series.

If they ever get around to making another deus ex game i doubt they will directly continue the story of this one because it flopped so hard. It will probably be a different game entirely.

like this
I started playing this again and for some reason I am now getting some weird graphical glitches...in one part of town there are crazy black triangle artifacts if I look in a certain direction, and in some of the weapon mod screens (sniper rifle and revolver specifically so far) there is a big yellow square that blocks a lot of the upgrade options. Does not happen on other weapons.

Did they break something with a patch?

EDIT: I tried getting rid of Reshade, verifying files, etc...still seems broken.

Last edited:
I started playing this again and for some reason I am now getting some weird graphical glitches...in one part of town there are crazy black triangle artifacts if I look in a certain direction, and in some of the weapon mod screens (sniper rifle and revolver specifically so far) there is a big yellow square that blocks a lot of the upgrade options. Does not happen on other weapons.

EDIT: I tried getting rid of Reshade, verifying files, etc...still seems broken.

I wonder if Reshade left something in there.

I wonder if Reshade left something in there.

Not sure, I deleted all the files related to it. I also tried updating to the latest ReShade which appears to work fine, but same glitches.

I did later notice the game was set to DX12, so I reverted that back, but unfortunately that didn't fix the issues either (though performance did improve).

like this
Not sure, I deleted all the files related to it. I also tried updating to the latest ReShade which appears to work fine, but same glitches.

I did later notice the game was set to DX12, so I reverted that back, but unfortunately that didn't fix the issues either (though performance did improve).
Graphics driver?

Graphics driver?

I'm at 376.19, so not that far back. I'll try an update.

It seems to be specific to if you haven't fully upgraded a weapon and the little yellow crafting icon somehow projects a giant yellow square that blocks half the screen. If you do all the upgrades, it goes away.

Here's a screenshot - you can't actually click anything beneath the yellow and when you try to highlight the crafting bits it glitches out.

3E739A53CCA54B4DE0796CCCB559C0049CC4038F

I got this occasionally. Quick save, reload save. That seemed to work every time for me.

Edit: Saw screen shot, did not see that one myself.

Yeah, I have tried loading numerous saves with no effect. Oh well, I can either just finish the game without it or upgrade everything fully (that seems to "fix" the glitch also).

Finally finished this. Ending was kind of disappointing (and also sequel bait) but overall I enjoyed the game and got a lot of time out of it. About 36 hours I think for a single stealth playthrough.

I might go full combat in NG+ but not sure yet. Lots of other games on my backlog as well.

Finally finished this. Ending was kind of disappointing (and also sequel bait) but overall I enjoyed the game and got a lot of time out of it. About 36 hours I think for a single stealth playthrough.

I might go full combat in NG+ but not sure yet. Lots of other games on my backlog as well.

Sheesh, 36 hours huh? That's quite lengthy...which, don't get me wrong, is a good thing! But that's roughly a week if I played it 9-5 like a full time job. Probably take me a good two or three months to finish it unless I can get a few good weekend sessions in. And that's just one game. My poor backlog... :cry:

Took me 49 hours for my first play through. But I did things perfectly and would occasionally reload a point to replay a different way. I redid the mission in Golem last night. Found a new route that I didn't notice last time. But I accidentally killed one person, so I didn't get the alternate narrative option. Although going off of youtube, it seems like only 1 line was different anyways.

Sheesh, 36 hours huh? That's quite lengthy...which, don't get me wrong, is a good thing! But that's roughly a week if I played it 9-5 like a full time job. Probably take me a good two or three months to finish it unless I can get a few good weekend sessions in. And that's just one game. My poor backlog... :cry:

Yeah, it took me awhile to finish it, but I took a long break when I had to RMA my GPU.

I might do a speed run in NG+ and just murder everyone... Not sure yet. If you only do the story missions the game would probably be quite short.

No sidequests or points of interest would make this incredibly short and missing a lot of the depth and subtext that is there.

Just the main quest... 8-10 hours, tops I would figure.

No sidequests or points of interest would make this incredibly short and missing a lot of the depth and subtext that is there.

Just the main quest... 8-10 hours, tops I would figure.
Yup. 83 hours here which includes the current DLC missions. I probably missed some side missions in the base game which means it's probably close to 100 hours if you look in every nook and cranny.

like this
Alright so I've finished the latest DLC, A Criminal Past.

Out of the three, this was the most memorable and worthwhile DLCs; I have some serious issues with this one though, so don't get me wrong.

The story is a flashback Adam is retelling to Delara Auzenne (the TF29 psychiatrist) that takes place after the completion of the main Deus Ex: Mankind Divided story. Chronologically speaking, it's sometime after Deus Ex: Human Revolution, but before Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, but after Jensen joins TF29 (which is briefly explained in Mankind Divided's plot).

Once again, Adam Jensen starts off with all powers taken away, in a setting that is hostile and adversarial from the start. There are the recognizable prison tropes, a guy that can get "anything you need" as well as the threat of solitary confinement, an underground economy, corrupt guards, etc. Predictably, not everything is what it seems, and the simple mission becomes a much more complicated affair.

It took me under ten hours and I'm sure it could have been done faster. I got lost a few times - the entire prison is the active mission area, and there are no loading screens. In size it's about the same as the main game's (larger) Prague area (without the train) but the annoying part was that the in-game map would only show the building or immediate area you were in.

Early on, you are given a few chances to regain your powers (but there's a twist of course) and I personally chose not to; I ended up completing the game without any augments, and it was tense and enjoyable this way. I'm not sure I will go back to play the DLC with powers.

There's a twist at the end, and there aren't any boss fights even though the gameplay hints at it. The combat is exactly as it was in the main game, and yes, the stun gun is still OP as all hell. There is even Typhoon ammo if you choose to go that route, although I only found about four or five of them. Going in guns blazing is an option here, but it's often the most frustrating one (as was my opinion of the main game).

There are a lot of plot threads but they come together a bit too neatly at the end; in a way, your plot is taking place in the background of a larger story. Things are going on and you are sneaking around guards and inmates because your mission doesn't concern them. There are intersecting points with Jensen's plot but the conclusion doesn't give you adequate player agency to make any real impact - sort of a "what was the point" kind of an ending.

While I do believe that all of the recent Deus Ex games have been hampered with weak endings - this one at least seems to embrace it- there's a weird meta ending conversation with Delara and Jensen before the credits, and you know they've been hinting at a deeper plot (that is left dangling at the end of the main campaign) so it's interesting to see the threads of distrust and deception played out between the two.

As I said before: I had uninstalled this game a couple of months ago, and the timing of this DLC was poor. Ain't nobody talking about Deus Ex, and knowing that the series is more or less on hold for the time being makes this last visit with Adam Jensen to be bittersweet. A Criminal Past is a solid DLC that I believe is worth your time if you enjoyed the gameplay mechanics of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, but ultimately a bittersweet reflection of the state of this series.

And.. since I'm on a roll spamming this thread...

When I originally played the game, I screwed around with the FOV with the help of a "random guy on reddit." Looks like his mod was affected by some of the patches that came out, and thankfully there are updates:

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Deus_Ex:_Mankind_Divided#Field_of_view_.28FOV.29

Despite what the instructions say, it's not a true vertical FOV, and the calculator it's linked to is not that great. In addition, the game does handle strangely when it comes to a modified FOV, so I stuck to the default value of "100" and it seemed to work out okay. It does not line up with the usual 105-ish FOV I use in games that support it out of the box (Dishonored 2, Titanfall 1, Titanfall 2).

like this
I played & beat it. It was alright since I hate starting over & over again with my augs.

That Criminal Past DLC was pretty good and the exchange at the very end sets up a teaser of sorts that Adam is not being fooled... and who knows when/if we'll ever find out what becomes of that.

That Criminal Past DLC was pretty good and the exchange at the very end sets up a teaser of sorts that Adam is not being fooled... and who knows when/if we'll ever find out what becomes of that.

Sadly, this could be a 5 to 10 year hiatus before we even hear of development being started for the (possibly) last game in this series.

like this
Sadly, this could be a 5 to 10 year hiatus before we even hear of development being started for the (possibly) last game in this series.
Yup. Game didn't sell well but Invisible War sales also tanked and eventually we got another game.

I just finished Criminal Past and really enjoyed it. Probably the best one yet.

like this
How long is Criminal Past? I am the type of person who plays through all side quests but don't hunt for achievements. 5 or so hours?

Its really a shame, I was hoping we would eventually get a modern, real deal high budget remastered version of the original Deus Ex. Modern hardware would allow for bigger maps, better textures etc. Gameplay wise and story the original still holds up. With this news, doubtful it will happen any time soon (ever?).

Its really a shame, I was hoping we would eventually get a modern, real deal high budget remastered version of the original Deus Ex. Modern hardware would allow for bigger maps, better textures etc. Gameplay wise and story the original still holds up. With this news, doubtful it will happen any time soon (ever?).

Crossing fingers that this will happen one day!

It was closer to 10 for me but I'm the guy exploring everything and reloading if an encounter doesn't go perfectly as planned.

So around 10 hours for me. Seems like it took the average person 32 hours to finish the main game, I took around 49. I hacked every computer, even if I found an alternative route. I just hacked them in case I found an extra email not yet read. Seems like a good length for the DLC.

Have you checked out the Deus Ex Revision mod? It's not a remaster but it's about as close to one that we'll ever see. You can get it free on Steam. It's not a huge improvement but the graphics look better. The quirky enemy AI and small bugs are still there.

I saw gmdx 9.0 on moddbwas going to be released, so I thought I would try it for my next playthrough. Do you know how it compares to Revision? It was supposed to be released in December.

Back