Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Performance and IQ Preview @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Performance and IQ Preview - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided has been released, we take an early look at performance and image quality in this game. We will compare performance between GTX 1080, GTX 1070, GTX 1060, Radeon RX 480, and Radeon RX 470. We will also look at some image quality and talk about our experiences with each video card and what is playable in this game.

Last edited:
It's nice to have a strong new benchmark candidate, the over all environment detail certainly seems to warrant the performance costs.

I wish that this TAA method was able to be injected like SMAA, just to give it a try in other games and check out if the blurryness is worth the performance gains, seeing that otherwise the picture quality looked really nice when all is said and done.

My quick thoughts on TAA in this game -

I usually hate anything other than SMAA because I always have found TXAA and FXAA to blur textures too much. HOWEVER. In this game, I don't really notice any blur while playing. If you look for it - like Brent did - yes, you can find it. But the shimmering of aliasing on objects like alpha surfaces, fences, grids, etc which are all over the environment is far, far more distracting, and MSAA doesn't clean that up.

In short, I can't imagine playing this game without TAA on. The graphics look MUCH better with it enabled.

My quick thoughts on TAA in this game -

I usually hate anything other than SMAA because I always have found TXAA and FXAA to blur textures too much. HOWEVER. In this game, I don't really notice any blur while playing. If you look for it - like Brent did - yes, you can find it. But the shimmering of aliasing on objects like alpha surfaces, fences, grids, etc which are all over the environment is far, far more distracting, and MSAA doesn't clean that up.

In short, I can't imagine playing this game without TAA on. The graphics look MUCH better with it enabled.

It's so almost perfect, I too love the removal of aliasing on all the aspects you spoke of, it does a great job really. It just has one flaw. Why can't someone just come up with the perfect shader based AA and everyone stick to it? heh

That said, I really do enjoy the graphics in this game regardless. When I first play through the level I did it with the default "Ultra" setting, so Temporal AA was turned on and for my first run I never detected that anything was abnormal. I think this will be the experience of most people. Unless they turn it off and look for it, most aren't going to know it's a thing. However, now that I know about it and have seen the differences first hand, I want my detail back.

I think a higher resolution is going to look better in this game. I'm curious to test and see if turning off Temporal AA but running in 4K will look better.

I'm just really surprised that an AMD sponsored game, and this one at that, doesn't have SMAA or MLAA, Deus Ex: Human Revolution had MLAA as an option. You would have thought AMD would want to get some of their AA methods in there.

Last edited:
I am looking forward to some 4K Info when you get the time for it. Hopefully that info won't be "use a Pascal Titan X or go home." ;)

Thanks.

Darn fast on the image quality review! You guys should post this and the RX 470 overclocking review in the AMD Reddit for some more views.

Graphical Comparison Sliders FTW!! Nice review!

I actually played the last one all the way through. It just ran so smooth on my 5870 at the time. Looking forward to spending some time with this new one soon.

Hope this has SLI support proper.

it is to be expected for radeon to be faster in this game. the Dawn engine is the modified Glacier 2 engine used in Hitman. looking at hitman performance it is clear the engine favors GCN architecture more. as for DX12 i will wait and see when they finally push the official patch next month. in hitman certain AMD hardware also suffer performance regression in DX12. seeing the core engine is quite the same i imagine similar problem might happen with DE:MD in DX12.

Why the heck is there no SMAA? It's a great post AA method with minimal blur so texture remains sharp. MSAA needs to die in deferred engines, it does a bad job of AA and kills performance, why devs still add it and not SMAA T is crazy.

One other quick comment - thanks for including the image quality sliders. I don't recall seeing these on earlier game IQ comparisons but they are much easier and nicer than having to swap back and forth between screenshots. Thumbs up.

I ran the benchmarks some people are really awaiting (used in game benchmark).

1080GTX SLI benchmarks. The results are surprising.

4k resolution, Preset ULTRA, MSAA off.
36 avg, 27 min, 43 max

Changed Shadow Quality to HIGH
Contact hard shadows OFF
Temporal AA OFF
35 avg, 29 min, 41 max

Basically no difference there..

See page 21 (40ppp) Deus Ex : Mankind Divided for my current game graphics setup.
Running 4k with most settings at ultra and getting 49avg, 41 min, 59 max in the benchmark.

The game itself runs better than the benchmark. I'm usually well above 50fps in game.

Last edited:
It earns the hardware requirements.

Not really. Witcher 3 looks way better. I run it at 4k all ultra settings and get steady 80-90fps. I also have it modded with higher res texture packs too.

Why didn't they release the game with DX12 intact if the DX12 patch was scheduled for release only a couple of weeks apart from the initial game release ?

Why didn't they release the game with DX12 intact if the DX12 patch was scheduled for release only a couple of weeks apart from the initial game release ?
Because DX12 isn't done apparently. They probably had the release date for the title set way in advance, so if they couldn't finish it and QA it before the release date, game still ships.

2560, all effects at the highest settings (including CHS, Volumetric Shadows, etc), MSAA OFF

pS70Ojb.png

Not really. Witcher 3 looks way better. I run it at 4k all ultra settings and get steady 80-90fps. I also have it modded with higher res texture packs too.

Agreed. This game just doesn't look nearly as good as it should for the hardware it needs. May have something to do with the new game engine, but it really seems like some tweaks need to be made.

TAA+Sharpen should be treated as a pair when you're comparing TAA on/off.
The sharpen filter is designed to counteract the intense blurring of the image that TAA alone introduces. Adding it to an image without TAA is horrific. That's not "detail".
The problem with TAA is that it looks great for screenshots but it adds ghosting and smears the image in motion.

I ran the benchmarks some people are really awaiting (used in game benchmark).

1080GTX SLI benchmarks. The results are surprising.

4k resolution, Preset ULTRA, MSAA off.
36 avg, 27 min, 43 max

Changed Shadow Quality to HIGH
Contact hard shadows OFF
Temporal AA OFF
35 avg, 29 min, 41 max

Basically no difference there..

See page 21 (40ppp) Deus Ex : Mankind Divided for my current game graphics setup.
Running 4k with most settings at ultra and getting 49avg, 41 min, 59 max in the benchmark.

The game itself runs better than the benchmark. I'm usually well above 50fps in game.

So basically, real-world in-game run-through data playing the actual game game is more true to performance than Scripted Timedemo/Benchmark Results.

We do keep trying to make this point, we aren't crazy. If a Benchmark doesn't represent what you are truly going to get while you play the game then what's the point in using it? I think one should focus on what actually represents what you will experience, and in this case it is real-world in-game playthroughs.

I haven't even used the benchmark myself, and why would I, I can just play the game and see what my experience will actually be.

This is important, and something to keep in mind as you look around the web at other articles, take note of the method of evaluation. You know how we do it.

not touching this till the dx12 patch.

The game looks really nice here and there. Lots of details. The built in benchmark probably demonstrates some of the better graphics. It earns the hardware requirements.Some people try to compare this to doom on optimization but doom just cant compare to the detail in this game. It does have some funky look now and then. Almost cellshaded. Dark outlines, light washed out textures.

Seems to be using nvidia Apex/Physx for cloth. Would have preferred havok for the better performance. But that belongs to MS now so maybe that cant happen. Beyond that the cloth physics are nice. Hair looks good too. (from videos, wont play till dx12 patch)

The benchmark shows close to worst case I think. There is a lot in that scene.

the Dawn engine is based on Modified Glacier 2 engine which is using PhysX. old PhysX might be slow but since version 3 PhysX has improve a lot in term of performance. with PhysX 3 the engine was turned to take advantage CPU multi threaded better. and some of the effect that usually need gpu now can be run on CPU only (as long as the effect are not excessive). i think this is why CDPR decided not to use GPU PhysX in the witcher 3. they just tone down the particle/destruction level a bit and then everyone can enjoy the effect regardless you have AMD or nvidia gpu.

I have one big problem with TAA: ghosting on small movements. I noticed this in Golem after the ACR elevator (I think it's too little information to classify as spolier), when talking to the "i've got a bad feeling" guy (I'm not good with names). He has somekind of big vertical zipper on his chest and you can see remains of older frames in it. I can't say about earlier scenes because I did not start with TAA, but that discussion made me decide better with jaggies than the TEMPORAL blurriness/ghosting.

A game got horrible reviews on Steam and people are massively returning the game, not only because it is a horrible ported game but also they added micro transactions so you can buy items with real money...bottom line unacceptable.

My advice, don't buy a game.

I personally haven't observed ghosting in this game using TAA. I have about 4 hours of playtime in the game so far.

A game got horrible reviews on Steam and people are massively returning the game, not only because it is a horrible ported game but also they added micro transactions so you can buy items with real money...bottom line unacceptable.

I strongly disagree with this assessment. It's not a horrible port by any means. In fact it has one of the best PC-centric UIs of any multiplatform release I've played in a while.

The mouse sensitivity is a bit fucked. That's pretty much the only issue. Just turn it down.

Why do you care if people can buy items in a single player game? :confused:

Just because the game runs fine on your Titan XP does not mean it's a good port. Most GPUs under $600 are struggling to keep the benchmark above a 60 FPS minimum, even at low settings.
The benchmark is not reflective of the game's actual performance as has been noted in this thread repeatedly already. I average 66fps in the benchmark but my framerate in game is over 80 nearly all over the time. The game has different quality levels and a lot of different graphics options. I have yet to see people running a modern card at appropriate settings complaining about performance. Yeah if you want to try and run this game at 2560 resolution on a 3 year old GPU you're going to have problems. No shit. Welcome to PC gaming. Disable settings or upgrade.

You want developers to start tuning single player games to encourage you to buy consumable items (Praxis kits and Credits in this case) with real-world money instead of balancing their game? That's absolutely unacceptable to me.
Except this game isn't built that way. You're complaining about a hypothetical situation that doesn't even apply here. Really?

i know dev want to get more money but to be honest i don't like stuff like this being pushed in games like this.

I strongly disagree with this assessment. It's not a horrible port by any means. In fact it has one of the best PC-centric UIs of any multiplatform release I've played in a while.

The mouse sensitivity is a bit fucked. That's pretty much the only issue. Just turn it down.

except stuff like this should be free. remember when old games got tons of cheat codes that you can enter yourself? now if you want have it easy you have to pay more to developer.

From what i see a game is major flop on Steam and most likely i won't buy it, not at least they patch the game and remove microtransaction. I am glad PC community punishes game developers for any console/mobile crap move on PC game.

I don't mind Microtransactions in SP games if

1. It is not in your face kind (unlock this door for $3.99!)

2. I cannot complete the game without it (Limited offer! Disable this boss's shield for only 99c!)

3. In to get rid of in game advertisements (Want to get rid of World of Tanks advertisement? Special offer today by buying 2 Praxis kits, the ads will be disabled for 2 weeks!)

Unless, of course, the game was free from the start.

From what i see a game is major flop on Steam and most likely i won't buy it, not at least they patch the game and remove microtransaction. I am glad PC community punishes game developers for any console/mobile crap move on PC game.

Ya, it's too bad really, because I'm sure I will absolutely love the game. I'm just not interested in supporting a developer that engages in these kinds of things.

I'm not blaming Eidos Montreal either. I'm sure all this crap came from the paper pushers at corporate.

I'll pick this up once they've worked out all the kinks.

The benchmark is not reflective of the game's actual performance as has been noted in this thread repeatedly already. I average 66fps in the benchmark but my framerate in game is over 80 nearly all over the time.
Play further into the game. Some areas are more demanding than the benchmark.

The game has different quality levels and a lot of different graphics options. I have yet to see people running a modern card at appropriate settings complaining about performance. Yeah if you want to try and run this game at 2560 resolution on a 3 year old GPU you're going to have problems. No shit. Welcome to PC gaming. Disable settings or upgrade.
Minimum settings at 1080p on a 4GB 960:
Mqy8pIt.png

That's a $250 card which launched in 2015. It's not unreasonable to expect playable performance at the minimum possible settings at only 1080p.

Except this game isn't built that way. You're complaining about a hypothetical situation that doesn't even apply here. Really?
There's nothing hypothetical about it:
7xzwyFy.jpg

Prices are not USD; USD is higher.

except stuff like this should be free. remember when old games got tons of cheat codes that you can enter yourself? now if you want have it easy you have to pay more to developer.
It's not even cheat codes, it's credits and upgrade points.

Game is riddled with Denuvo DRM too. People shouldn't support these anti-consumer developer practices.

I personally think, the best way to go about it is, buy the game (since most deem Eidos Montreal deserving them), but boycott the DLC.

Boycotting the game will just result in Eidos taking collateral damage if they were not involved in the DLC scheme.

Just because the game runs fine on your Titan XP does not mean it's a good port. Most GPUs under $600 are struggling to keep the benchmark above a 60 FPS minimum, even at low settings.

In my opinion, that's not surprising. In many games, if you switch everything to low, you basically have a slightly prettier version of Minecraft, which is not the case here.
Even on low, the geometry remains complex, same with lighting and FPS reflect that.

There's nothing hypothetical about it:

Prices are not USD; USD is higher.

It's not even cheat codes, it's credits and upgrade points.

Game is riddled with Denuvo DRM too. People shouldn't support these anti-consumer developer practices.
The "hypothetical" part was in reference to the game balanced around you buying microtransactions. Which it's not. So again, who cares? Don't buy them. They don't intrude on the experience at all. I don't like microtransactions, but bitching about them isn't going to make them go away. Not buying them will.

And I'm not sure what you mean by "riddled" with Denuvo. Again, it doesn't impact the experience, so I'm not sure why people care.

In my opinion, that's not surprising. In many games, if you switch everything to low, you basically have a slightly prettier version of Minecraft, which is not the case here.
Even on low, the geometry remains complex, same with lighting and FPS reflect that.
OK, but if the game requires a $600+ GPU to stay above 60 FPS, do you consider that to be a good port? I certainly don't.
I don't think it's particularly good looking at low settings either, but maybe that's clouded by the fact that I have to run it at 720p to get an acceptable framerate. There are certainly better looking games which run much better on mid-range or lower-end cards.

And I'm not sure what you mean by "riddled" with Denuvo. Again, it doesn't impact the experience, so I'm not sure why people care.
I was locked out of the game for hours last night when my internet connection went down after Steam had downloaded that small update they pushed out.

I was hopeful that my GTX1070 would be good enough to play max settings at 1440p for the next year or so on new games. From this review it sounds like it is just on the edge.

With that said - I have plenty of games in my backlog for now. I am betting that in the next few months, performance will improve in this game thru better drivers and game patches. I may even save a few bucks if i can hold out for the Christmas Steam sale.

Back