• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Deus Ex: Bullshot?

petertew

Gawd
Joined
Oct 4, 2005
Messages
984
I'm hoping its going to a great game. I'll hold my judgment until I play it through.
 
Everyone knows it's going to Generic Shooter 938274. I don't have high hopes for this game.
 
I just hope it's a "good" game. The first thing that I have to do for my expectations is simply ignore the name "Deus Ex" and I think that takes out a lot of the chances of me having too high of expectations.
 
Everyone knows it's going to Generic Shooter 938274. I don't have high hopes for this game.

I usually try to ignore the hype about games so I don't get let down. Is it really just going to be a generic shooter?

I had my hopes up for lots of dialogue and conversation choices as well as outfitting my dude with various items.

Something along the lines of a first person Mass Effect or a Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines.
 
You don't seem to be very happy with many games anymore... :confused:

I don't even know if I'm happy about it yet it hasn't been released, that's just my prediction. I am happy with Starcraft 2, excited about Torchlight 2, and will be happy when Natural Selection 2 is finished.
 
I had my hopes up for lots of dialogue and conversation choices as well as outfitting my dude with various items.

Something along the lines of a first person Mass Effect or a Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines.

If this game comes even close to the likes of this I'll be happy.
 
I usually try to ignore the hype about games so I don't get let down. Is it really just going to be a generic shooter?

I had my hopes up for lots of dialogue and conversation choices as well as outfitting my dude with various items.

Something along the lines of a first person Mass Effect or a Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines.

Anything along the lines of Mass Effect and Vampire tMB is bound for epic glory.
 
I usually try to ignore the hype about games so I don't get let down. Is it really just going to be a generic shooter?

I had my hopes up for lots of dialogue and conversation choices as well as outfitting my dude with various items.

Something along the lines of a first person Mass Effect or a Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines.

Hopefully not just a straight shooter. Deus Ex is one of my favorite games of all time for the story, dialogue, world, design, exploration, presentation and etc. I've actually over several replays never done it straight shooter/combat style.
 
Yeah about half the released images are "concept art." But John Q. Webmaster can't tell the difference at these various sites and uploads them all as screenshots.
 
Actually, there is some leaked footage from E3 of gameplay that visually looks pretty good and the gameplay doesn't seem very "generic FPS".
 
Hopefully this prediction by Encyclopedia Dramatica will not come true:

33vjn5z.jpg
 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6JTvzrpBy0

really reminds me of batman begins and the dark knight

Wow, I just got wood. Seriously though, the game looks really good in the trailers. Although, the starcraft ghosts of the past trailer was badass and the single player story sucked big time, so sales trailers aren't exactly to be trusted.

Does the game's art have a Metal Gear Solid PS3 feel to it to anyone else?
 
I was reserving judgment, and mostly still am, but after watching the leaked gameplay video, I am much more excited. For the record, I would consider this game having gameplay "like Mass Effect" a bad thing, and Deus Ex 3 seems to avoid that. I like Mass Effect, but what made the first Deus Ex so great was it's own brand of gameplay. IW wasn't as good partly because they deviated slightly in that department. If it played like Mass Effect, it would NOT be Deus Ex.

Yeah, they might mess it up, and I'll be pissed along with everyone else, but what if they don't? :D
 
I should probably stop watching these trailers. They are so well done that my expectations are starting to rise. I loved the first Deus Ex and if I'm not careful this could be Fallout 3 all over again for me (I was one of the "haters" who couldn't stand what Bethesda did with the series).

hmm apparently the human android commercial is a johnny walker commercial a fan just adapted for deus ex HR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYC8fTv2jp4
 
I've known better than to watch all these trailers. I need to keep my expectations as low as possible for this thing.
 
dont mind the look, the lighting in this game is dynamic and quite sexy at that

all i need to see is how the inventory works before i can officially hate or love this game and i bet they keep that secret for as long as possible and smash you with the rape stick like bioshock did.
 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6JTvzrpBy0

really reminds me of batman begins and the dark knight

They have full replacement limbs with guns in them and buildings the size of an entire modern city, and this is supposed to be set 17 year from now?

It takes them 20 YEARS to widen 30 miles of highway these days and we are supposed to believe that in less time than that all that stuff could be invented and built? I don't think so.

Reminds me of minority report. Set about 50 years in the future and yet they have highways that run vertically up and down the sides of buildings.... Yeah right.

If you are going to do this kind of stuff just get it over with and set it 200 years from now. Far enough ahead we have no idea what things will be like. Not 50 years or less where we can be quite certain that there won't be major changes in the nature of buildings, roads, and other major building projects.
 
If you are going to do this kind of stuff just get it over with and set it 200 years from now. Far enough ahead we have no idea what things will be like. Not 50 years or less where we can be quite certain that there won't be major changes in the nature of buildings, roads, and other major building projects.

This is a prequel to a game that was set in 2054. Do the math.
 
So far I haven't liked any of the Deus Ex games. I'm not expecting much out of this one.
 
So far I haven't liked any of the Deus Ex games. I'm not expecting much out of this one.

And then there are those who recognize that it basically redefined the FPS/RPG genre and actually had the patience to get past the first couple levels.

;)
 
And then there are those who recognize that it basically redefined the FPS/RPG genre and actually had the patience to get past the first couple levels.

;)

Yup. The first couple of levels are pretty damned slow and I'm a pretty big fan of the first game. :)
 
I'm hoping to see some actual gameplay footage instead of some of the stylized video's we've been seeing (even the in-engine ones). Mass Effect is a good model but one of the previous posters struck it on the head saying that if this plays like Mass Effect, it simply isn't Deus Ex.

Deus Ex was big for it's time because it did a few things really well despite the engine not being super great.

1) You had a fleshed out inventory system. It forced you to choose between carrying a large gun like the GEP or a larger arsenal of smaller weapons.
2) The Weapon upgrade system, upgrades were somewhat limited and had to be sought out. You could specialize weapons in a large variety of ways from recoil to noise...
3) There were a large number of augmentations which forced you to make choices and have a "build"
4) Your choices mattered in not just a right and wrong way. Granted a lot of these didn't carry over and weren't HUGE implications, but the subtle differences change the feeling behind the game a lot.
5) Injuries mattered, Your leg gets heavily damaged, you are slowed down, you arms are hurt, strength is down. You'd need to find a station to get repaired.
6) The plot itself was very deep, it had subtle relations between a lot of different factions. The plot evolved an definitely twisted as you went along.

Invisible War threw this all on it's head... They went for a much more graphical feel and dumbed down all the things that made Deus Ex great.

1) The inventory system was messed up...you can carry any 4(?) weapons. Doesn't really matter about size.

2) Pretty much non-consequential

3) There were a fair number of augmentations...but I specifically remember a point where i had an offensive build and was getting over powered by the enemies. I had enough canisters that I was able to do a "full respec" right before the battle and go straight stealth and demolish them. It makes augmentations seem like a flavor du jour. Changing augmentations should be a substantial process. Takes away from the "awesome" factor of them.

4) The choices in the game ended up mattering to some extent, but they went to too much effort to kind of railroad you. You had a few branches but in the end it was pick this faction, pick that faction. I thought it was a pretty big cop-out to start Deus Ex 2 by saying "O HAI, YOUR CHOICE DIDN'T REALLY MATTER, ALL OF THEM HAPPENED!"

5) Skipped this to some extent.

6) The plot was predictable, and a lot of interactions seemed forced. Overall the depth seemed to be forced as well.

I'm hoping they take more from the Deus Ex 1 playbook. Give us a robust weapon system, a robust augmentation system. Definitely go with the inventory...I'm cool with them updating some of the mechanics to match gaming styles of the present. I would prefer an injury system with penalties to various attributes or disabling augmentation abilities until you get a chance to repair. Stuff like not having to hunt down health packs and stuff in general has been nice too though.

Storyline wise, it's a fresh start, so it should be pretty cool. Hopefully they'll go for choices that impact how the story progresses, and who supports you, how the world perceives you etc, as opposed to some high-handed attempt at trying to appear deep.
 
Blasphemy!

;)

It looked like shit and played like shit. I think it was too ambitious for its day. It tried to do and be too many things at once and ultimately didn't do any of them well.

And then there are those who recognize that it basically redefined the FPS/RPG genre and actually had the patience to get past the first couple levels.

;)

I have very little patience for a game that doesn't allow me to shoot at a target and actually hit it. I remember the first enemy I faced taking two magazines or whatever to actually hit and kill. My aim was spot on but it wouldn't let me hit the target. Innovation isn't through retardation. That's just one of my many gripes with the early part of the game. Again graphically it sucked, I found it buggy as hell, and I just didn't find it very interesting.
 
It looked like shit and played like shit. I think it was too ambitious for its day. It tried to do and be too many things at once and ultimately didn't do any of them well.



I have very little patience for a game that doesn't allow me to shoot at a target and actually hit it. I remember the first enemy I faced taking two magazines or whatever to actually hit and kill. My aim was spot on but it wouldn't let me hit the target. Innovation isn't through retardation. That's just one of my many gripes with the early part of the game. Again graphically it sucked, I found it buggy as hell, and I just didn't find it very interesting.

Wow negative nancy.

You really must have stopped at the earlier levels because I think you pretty much were a deadeye dick with even the assault rifles by level III if you augmented yourself in that fashion.

It actually should be much harder in lots of games to shoot a pistol so accurately. I shoot pistols in real life all the time and they aren't the easiest to hit repeatedly a tuna can sized target at 50 yards like some video games make them out to be.

This game was really comparitively coming around during the time of Quake III and Unreal 2. The graphics were on par when it rolled around.

I think Deus Ex was a very new concept in it's ability to allow players to create their playing style, and it's made waves that still affect the gaming community today despite most companies inability to capture the initial magic that everyone loved so much about it.

I'll hope for the best on this next title, but we'll see what really happens.
 
Wow negative nancy.

I call it like I see it. Nothing more.

You really must have stopped at the earlier levels because I think you pretty much were a deadeye dick with even the assault rifles by level III if you augmented yourself in that fashion.

Yes I did. I found nothing impressive about the game at all. Bad graphics, bad interface, bad controls, I hated pretty much everything about it as I recall.

It actually should be much harder in lots of games to shoot a pistol so accurately. I shoot pistols in real life all the time and they aren't the easiest to hit repeatedly a tuna can sized target at 50 yards like some video games make them out to be.

I shoot pistols in real life also. Believe me I know. What I saw in that game wasn't accurate compared to real life. It was harder. You couldn't hit a man sized target at a distance of 15 feet with the pistol initially. You couldn't do anything to compensate for the "characters" bad shooting. It simply appeared to randomize the direction of your shots. Even people who start shooting for the first time are usually more consistent with their misses than that. There is adding realism to a game and then there is taking realism too far and making something harder than it should be. That's what Deus Ex did with the combat. That aspect of the game was just bullshit.

This game was really comparitively coming around during the time of Quake III and Unreal 2. The graphics were on par when it rolled around.

I didn't think so. I thought it looked worse than Quake or UT at the time.

I think Deus Ex was a very new concept in it's ability to allow players to create their playing style, and it's made waves that still affect the gaming community today despite most companies inability to capture the initial magic that everyone loved so much about it.

I'll hope for the best on this next title, but we'll see what really happens.

Deus Ex's effect on the future of gaming is debatable. Little or nothing tried to do what Deus Ex tried to do for a long time. While I see conceptually similar features in newer games, its hard for me to say that Deus Ex was the catalyst for that. Those similarities seem to pretty much stop at concept and go no further. Its hard to explain it, but I think that developers really say "OK lets combine and RPG style game with an FPS game." Then some jackass puts his hand up and says "Oh you mean like Deus Ex?" Then everyone just pretty much says "yeah, whatever." In other words I think that similarities between Deus Ex and other games are more coincidental or incidental rather than being the product of direct influence.
 
They have full replacement limbs with guns in them and buildings the size of an entire modern city, and this is supposed to be set 17 year from now?

It takes them 20 YEARS to widen 30 miles of highway these days and we are supposed to believe that in less time than that all that stuff could be invented and built? I don't think so.

Reminds me of minority report. Set about 50 years in the future and yet they have highways that run vertically up and down the sides of buildings.... Yeah right.

If you are going to do this kind of stuff just get it over with and set it 200 years from now. Far enough ahead we have no idea what things will be like. Not 50 years or less where we can be quite certain that there won't be major changes in the nature of buildings, roads, and other major building projects.

I think, maybe, perhaps, I dunno, it is FICTION. It isn't supposed to be a fucking prophecy ya jackwad.
 
First let me preface my post by saying that I loved Deus Ex. But that was in spite of many flaws. People need to take off their rose-tinted fucking glasses when it comes to that game, because even if you loved it, like me, it was far from perfect. A lot of Dan's points are very valid, and explain why the original game sold like shit when it launched. People gripe about Invisible War being shit, but guess what? DX's sales didn't merit a sequel at all, period. The franchise should have died there. Deus Ex has been, more than any other game, put on the pedestal of nostalgia.

Now to address Dan's points.

Yes I did. I found nothing impressive about the game at all. Bad graphics, bad interface, bad controls, I hated pretty much everything about it as I recall.

The graphics were indeed mediocre for its time. It was released in 2000, the same year as things like Voyager: Elite Force. Just a year later we had things like Return to Castle Wolfenstein. The UI was pretty bad too. It was pretty poorly laid out. The only thing I really liked about it was the inventory and the fact that you could change the color scheme.

I shoot pistols in real life also. Believe me I know. What I saw in that game wasn't accurate compared to real life. It was harder. You couldn't hit a man sized target at a distance of 15 feet with the pistol initially. You couldn't do anything to compensate for the "characters" bad shooting. It simply appeared to randomize the direction of your shots. Even people who start shooting for the first time are usually more consistent with their misses than that. There is adding realism to a game and then there is taking realism too far and making something harder than it should be. That's what Deus Ex did with the combat. That aspect of the game was just bullshit.

Yeah I had a hard time buying that my trained agent couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with any weapon. I realize they didn't want people just ripping through the game like it was Quake and gibbing all the baddies, but there are better and less frustrating ways of doing that. I can buy that my weapon may not be powerful enough to kill someone in one shot, but I have a much harder time buying that JC Denton aims like a kindergartener. Needless to say in almost all my playthroughs I stuck to melee weaponry and stealth takedowns.

I didn't think so. I thought it looked worse than Quake or UT at the time.

While an Unreal Engine game itself, it didn't look nearly as good as UT, and the Quake engine at the time would have been a far better choice.

Deus Ex's effect on the future of gaming is debatable. Little or nothing tried to do what Deus Ex tried to do for a long time. While I see conceptually similar features in newer games, its hard for me to say that Deus Ex was the catalyst for that. Those similarities seem to pretty much stop at concept and go no further. Its hard to explain it, but I think that developers really say "OK lets combine and RPG style game with an FPS game." Then some jackass puts his hand up and says "Oh you mean like Deus Ex?" Then everyone just pretty much says "yeah, whatever." In other words I think that similarities between Deus Ex and other games are more coincidental or incidental rather than being the product of direct influence.

Deus Ex didn't sell particularly well. The fact that it's got a sequel, let alone a second one, was a surprise to me. I loved DX but it's not as influential as the nostalgics believe it to be. In fact, it really only got its reputation as some kind of holy messiah of gaming years after its release.

Why people think that it is some kind of masterpiece that cannot ever be matched is beyond me. It wouldn't be hard at all to make a better Deus Ex game, it's just that no one cares enough to do it. Maybe DXHR will be great, but if its missing even ONE nagging little thing from the original game, the fanboys will tear it to pieces.

Thankfully those fanboys aren't numerous enough to do anything to sales, so DX has a fair shot at getting a good game here.
 

I agree that it was flawed, but disagree with the rose colored glasses idea...the game was highly rated when it was released. I recently bought it on Steam for a second playthrough, and enjoyed it quite a bit again. Shooting mechanics, voice acting, and graphics did blow and still do, though.
 
dues ex was a great game, i like the complaining about not being able to hit something in an RPG. the same type of complaints about oblivion or fallout 3. Suprise Suprise, you are going to have some RPG elements in a game were you skill is only part of it.

you mention star trek voyager as graphics wise but that game was a perfect example of why deus ex was so good.

Voyager may have had better graphics but it was the most linear rail based game i think i can ever remember playing. it was the game with a thousand doors and only 1 opened (i wonder which one i should go in)

the beauty of deus ex (which i think you did completely miss) is the fact that it allowed you to completely tailor your play style. Multiple ways to complete a level, different skills/augmentations etc.. etc.. Add onto that a great story and you have a great game.

graphics are only part of it, and at the time it is true deus ex didn't have great graphics. Infact if you remember there was a lot of negative comments because it actually didn't perform that well either.

There are very few games that when i finish i actually reflect on

looking back the only other games i put into that same category is Tie Fighter, Interstate 76, Deus Ex, Max Payne Series, Portal, Mass Effect (only 1, 2 was a complete waste of time)

I can understand you may not like the game, but to denounce its merits as a great game is a little short sighted. I feel the same way about Half Life 1 as you feel about deus ex (2 was only slightly better). I actually didn't enjoy Half life 1 that much but i can recognize it is a good game. Just not something i enjoyed.
 
Back
Top