• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Desktop or Laptop

M3at

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 18, 2003
Messages
238
I'm thinking of selling my desktop and purchasing a laptop. Question is what laptop is going to the equivalent to my desktop?

My current desktop features:
AMD 64 3000+ socket 939
1GB Ballistix
BFG 6800GT AGP
74GB Raptor
NEC DVD reader/writer

That’s the core of my desktop. What laptop would be close to the performance of my current desktop and between the price ranges of 1000.00 – 1500.00? I prefer at least a 17” lcd.

I was on Dell.com today and the Dell Inspiron 9300 with a 7200rpm hard drive and a 6800 video card is what I’m considering getting.

I guess I could just save some bucks, keep the desktop and get a decent laptop, perhaps the 9300 with all the standard features. That's only 999$...
 
I don't see many laptops competing with your desktop in that price range.

The only ones I've found would be something from Sager (like the NP4791 or NP5710), Acer (the TM8103WLMi-XPP looks good, although it only has a 15.4" screen), or the Dell laptop you mentioned (because I'm too lazy to look at the specs).
 
I don't really know how the 9300 really performs but I just order my from dell using my brothers company discount and got almost everything you listed and some more for 1100ish shipped...

notebookforum also post a deal going on for anyone who wanted to buy a dell laptop with give or take 40+ % off(was also post in the hot deals).

If you want to wait then I can give you some detail later(won't get it until about the 12/20 or a little bit later.
 
hey there ive been haveing my 9300 for about 3 months and its rock solid.
specs 2.0-6800-1gb ram-dvdr-60gb 72rpm-17" tru life
I paid 1534.00 shipped no taxes im in KS after coupon and discount

Compared to my desktop i would say i notice no big differnce only when it comes to dvd burning i have to say the 9300 cant burn a dvd with the crap dell puts on it so i will install a NEC dvd DL burner i just recieved from new egg that should fix that problem according to few others who have done the same.So if you could skip on the dvd burner and just order one later from newegg.

aside from that best laptop ive had and nothing at this price comes close to it.

current rig specs

4000+-evga 6800 gt-160 gb 72 rpm-nec dvd burner-1gb carsair
 
yeah, for raw power you can't compare but dang it, you can get close. I love my 9300.
 
if money wasn't an issue, I would just pop down 4k for the latest and greatest XPS laptop. But, being that I'm middle class, if even that, money is an issue and I have to justify a purchase like this to my wife. heh!
 
I say desktop.....lappy's are fun but they cant beat the desktop experience or "bang for the buck"...IMO:)
 
keep the desktop and get a cheaper laptop that you can use when you need a laptop... i wouldn't try to use a laptop as my everyday computer.. its just not worth it...
 
scottatwittenberg said:
keep the desktop and get a cheaper laptop that you can use when you need a laptop... i wouldn't try to use a laptop as my everyday computer.. its just not worth it...


Yeah, I think that's the conclusion I've come to. I'll just get a 500-600$ lappy and keep the desktop. Besides, I like to oc and change out parts too much to get rid of a desktop.
 
Had to lol when I saw the date of last post before the noon bumped it
 
Back
Top