Descent Underground Kickstarter

Meh, descent wasn't particularly fun first time around.

I mean, it was one of the first 3d titles ever, and it was cool from that perspective, but it was never a particularly fun game. IMHO.

I never bought the full thing. Just used the shareware version in the early 90s as a demo of the cool 3d things to come.

That youtube video from the 26th does nothing except reinforce my concerns. Its clearly not going to be much like Descent and while they claim the micro-transactions will not make it pay2win, theres no certainty yet. It sounds like there wont be much single-player in the game (i'm betting multiplayer maps with a 'collect xx items within the time limit' gameplay) and what they do show of the maps doesnt seem fun for multiplayer either. This looks like another game I might buy when it drops to £3 on Steam.

Well on the micro transactions/pay2win. If someone says its NOT multiple times, and you don't believe them not much i can likely do to sway you. I believe them because they have given me no reason NOT to. I have enjoyed their past games, and they seem like great people.

As for the game not being like Descent.... that is a common theme it seems. However, if one take the time to look more into the game it clearly will be descent like.

Perhaps this post from a hard core Descent player will help?

http://descendentstudios.com/community/topic/1069-to-kali-skeptics-why-im-a-believer/?p=10053

The fact that there's a scheme to even pay-to-not-grind turns me off. That's why I love BL and WillowTree. I can spend more time having a blast and map/secret exploration than grinding to the next level. Grinding is a way to avoid making decent game content.

Your assuming there is a 'grind' and that it will be boring. What if your map/secret exploration was the "grind"? I haven't seen anywhere that they said you will need to kill 100 boar's or collect 100 pieces of X to lvl. The 'grind' will be playing the game as you want too in multiple game types. So, it it really a 'grind' if your having fun playing while unlocking things?

I hadn't heard about it. Descent was my favorite game way back when. It's still in my top 5. I backed it. Perhaps it hasn't been funded yet because too many people missed the news.

I hadn't heard about it. Descent was my favorite game way back when. It's still in my top 5. I backed it. Perhaps it hasn't been funded yet because too many people missed the news.
Or maybe it's because people don't like what they see? There are plenty of posts in this thread expressing skepticism of what the final product will be, and the content the developers have provided obviously have not done enough to sway us the other way.

I was looking at it and for me I am not really interested. I loved the original decent when I was young but this one isn't making me want to fund it.

1. Single player campaign "Prologue" -> sounds like it means "short" and I am mainly a SP Campaign player
  2. Multiple Ships sounds good, higher priced teir gets them all though. That sounds very Pay2Win. I am assuming you can grind in the game to obtain those ships but I am not sure though.
  3. The multiple ships thing sounds very Star Citizen like and honestly SC has basically made me sour at the whole concept. Grind or buy access to in game items makes it sound very much like it'll be constantly online for DRM purposes alone. Otherwise there won't a way to enforce that.

1. Multiple Ships sounds good, higher priced teir gets them all though. That sounds very Pay2Win. I am assuming you can grind in the game to obtain those ships but I am not sure though.

They claim you can unlock the rest of the ships through playing the game, though, so I don't see that one as all that big of a deal.

Oh my god, take my money. Descent and Descent 3 were my favorite games of all time. Eric Peterson being involved is icing on the cake. He was the only tolerable personality in the Star Citizen community.

Thanks for the heads-up.

But they won't be the same without my SpaceOrb 360. Quick, someone start a kickstarter :D

I understand Kickstarter isn't a guarantee, but as a gaming fan, this is really one of the few ways I can directly influence the development of gaming. I can vote with my dollar on something that could have fallen into a wastebin as "too risky" or "interest uncertain".

Hey guys,

I backed for a basic $25 package. Anyways I see a lot of ppl saying the Descent devs are just riding the SC hype train and don't have any other experience. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the reason why Chris Roberts chose Eric Peterson and Rob Irving for Star Citizen in the first place is because they all worked together at Origin making Wing Commander and Freelancer back in the day. So I would say these guys do have some experience making successful games in the past. I do not know what they worked on after Freelancer but before Star Citizen.

The reason why these guys are no longer with SC is because CR wanted to move all the departments to LA except the DevOps team (guys that do all the backend server/network stuff). He is apparently big on being able to work with everyone face to face. So Eric/Rob and a few other of them had roots in Austin TX, and they could not just pick up and move their families to LA, so they were left with no real choice but to leave CIG. I don't think there were any hard feelings, it was just a work vs family life decision ya know?

I can understand if you're not into multiplayer, but I mean the complaints that they will need more money seem kind of unfair at this point. I realize there was another mod team that was trying to get the IP for this game, but IIRC they are trying to bring a few of those guys on first this project as well least I heard. They will probably get a few mil from an investor I imagine. It's just the way these things work, you need money to feed your family if you are going to spend a few years to develop a game. The fact that they are not selling out to EA or Activision right out of the gate, tells me that they probably don't want to dumb down the game and make it appeal to the masses. If they are not to go to Kickstarter or private investors, where the hell should they get the money from?

I have backed over a dozen games on Kickstarter, none so far have died. A bunch are late, but I don't care. Upped my pledge from $35 to $60.

I have backed over a dozen games on Kickstarter, none so far have died. A bunch are late, but I don't care. Upped my pledge from $35 to $60.

I told my friend about it and he was all OMG I LOVED THAT GAME

So I bought the package you can split with a buddy, like $30 each, awesome.

I don't mean to be cynical but I expect to read about this many many months from now. The game will not have been developed and they will have taken the money and never release anything. Articles will spew out how kickstarter projects like this fail because of this and that and blah blah blah.....

I sure hope this is different but how many of these kickstarter game projects have seen the light of day?

http://gamerant.com/kickstarter-video-game-failure-rate/

37% of kickstarted games have been full released, yet those 37% made up close to 80% of the money spent on kick started games.

I kicked in...it's only the cost of going to eat once. (Maybe I'll have a hotdog tonight to make up for it)

37% of kickstarted games have been full released, yet those 37% made up close to 80% of the money spent on kick started games.

If that 37% figure you mention is accurate, then that is a pretty darn good release rate for any game project. Most never get completed.

Looks like some devs are selling their cars quick to lock this in...

If that 37% figure you mention is accurate, then that is a pretty darn good release rate for any game project. Most never get completed.
That's full release too, stuff still in early access probably has a sizeable chunk also.

It looks like shit. I have seen better ship models come from kids using macaroni and Elmers glue. Then add to that the pure focus on multi-player and micro-transactions? Pass.

At least for the few days before it broke. Amirite?! :D

No man, mine never broke, I loved it. Of course it had a serial connection, Game Port was what they called it. The biggest problem I had with the SpaceOrb 360 was that it was the absolute best controller ever for Descent while at the same time it was terrible for anything else. I tried it on Quake, Unreal, MechWarrior even, no dice.

I broke 2 Space Orbs. Took the first one apart -- small pins that warp and bend then pop out of whatever was holding them (torque / twist sensor). Still have the second one which was just starting to fail.

The "stretch goal" stuff rubs me the wrong way, I dunno why. Either do it right, or don't do it at all.

I donated $5, never plan to play the game, I only did it to bring around the apocalypse for the people that think crowd funding games is bad.

Back