Dell U3011 coming soon.

Pics or it didn't happen! /joking, but seriously though, if you have any pics, please share :D

Pic's wouldn't do it justice. It may not look at "bling" as the 3008, but the matted black platic bezel and base don't distract from the screen at all. Anyhow I ended up paying $1614 Australian for it and it arrived 2 days after ordering (Sydney to Adelaide).

P.S. I really enjoy playing with the proximity sensor for the menu button :)

I am too I think.

For those with the 3008. Is the "input lag" actually noticeable in gaming for anyone?

I want this for PC gaming, Photography and my PS3, any potential problems?

Id ask about the U3011 but basically no one has it yet, if you by some chance do please comment as that is the one I will end up buying if I decide to go for it.

I am very curious to hear a first-hand comparison of the AG coating between the U3011 and the U2711.

For those with the 3008. Is the "input lag" actually noticeable in gaming for anyone?

I game all the time on my 3008 and I don't notice any lag. I play a lot of FPS games and I'm always the top one or two so it doesn't seem to bother me at all. I have to assume it's there since it's talked about so much but I really can't see it.

Does anyone know if Dell is still doing the small business coupon?

Also thinking about trying to get Dell to replace the 3008 with the 3011 as someone had some luck on that front.

Pic's wouldn't do it justice. It may not look at "bling" as the 3008, but the matted black platic bezel and base don't distract from the screen at all. Anyhow I ended up paying $1614 Australian for it and it arrived 2 days after ordering (Sydney to Adelaide).

P.S. I really enjoy playing with the proximity sensor for the menu button :)

Congrats on the new monitor!

Can you please put me out of my misery... does it have picture-in-picture (not picture by picture)?

Thanks!

:cool:

Well perhaps my comments where like throwing a stone in a pond..., but for all the people here that hope their new U3011 will be great , I wish you the best with them !!!!: ;)

Let me be clear: I have nothing against the U3011, probably is an excelent monitor, marginally better in image than the 3008WFP, cheaper for the general public, and for the graphic professional a good value for money alternative to an expensive hard to find NEC.

The fact that leave me annoyed is that Dell discontinues the high end 3008WFP leaving a hole in its Ultrasharp line.The logical "victim" would have been the 3007.

When 3 years ago both the 2707WFP and then the 3008WFP were launched they were models not aimed to be just another "me too" monitor but a radical step up in image quality, built, design, etc., cost were not object then....$ 2000 in 2007 dollars is like now speaking of $ 2500

But let me be positive ...I dont´like the moaning:This is what I dream for a GENUINE sucessor of the 3008WFP with current available elements (that is the same available panel)

PURE WHITE, WIDE GAMUT LED BACKLIGHTING:

Apple could do it with the ACD27....yes you will need more expensive LED´s for wide gamut and the same 370 cd/cm2 output ....even if this leaves the final price in $ 2500

SLEEKER AND SLIMMER CHASSIS DUE TO LED:

The same 3008 cool loking anthracite grey aluminium frame now with an slimmer case, no buttons at all and just a multipin connector to a NEW base.

REAL COOLER OPERATION FOR COOLER BACKLIGHT... NOT FOR A PLASTIC CHASSIS:

Both the 3008 and 3011 run (full luminance) at 250W , in the 3008 the metal case acts as a giant heat disipator, remember watts are watts and heat is heat, you may choose to "feel" the heat at your fingers or like the 3011 case isolate it inside with plastic ... let me ask...what´s better for the health of the inside electronics ????

MODULAR SERVICEABLE STAND:

Envision a new metal stand whith all the buttons, the conectors and the power supply and cord .... not only this idea looks better if well implemented (see the 3D LED TV Samsung C9000 to see what I mean) but simplifies an eventual service A LOT, reducing for Dell thousands of complete monitor exchanges due to small problems (bad ports, buzzing power supplies, etc.) in very RARE cases the LCD panel + associated electronics fails. For the users this would be a BLESSING: I have read all kind of people crying when Dell exchange their pixel perfect panels for refurbished units !!!

:D
As you see I have my ideas for the U3012/U3013.... Michael are you listening ???? ja, ja !!!!

Perhaps I am dreaming ....It seems that in DELL you have two designs criteria:

1)Do it sleek, metallic, cool, (XPS730, 3008WFP, Adamo, Latitude Z660)
2)Men...Do it JUST CHEAP !!!!

PS1:

BRUMWALD you said "the 3008 bezel looks like plastic" ...my friend....have you ever seen / touch one in person ???? if something in the Earth don´t look like painted plastic is this monitor !!!

PS2:

To learn everything about the LG LM300WQ5 panel and its possibilities see:
http://www.msc-ge.com/download/displays/dabla_allg/lm300wq5-sta1.pdf

Bye bye....

Last edited:
It goes back to the age old saying when you are not satisfied with a product:

Vote with your wallet

I think the new designed Dell monitors has bad QC in general.

You're insane if you think dell should put electronics in the stand on a 30" monitor... That silly stuff is even stupid on a TV.

It's much more important to use an aftermarket VESA arm with these monitors, building 2x2 panels with 4 30" monitors, having your monitor float over your desk from an arm is much better than wasting desk space with a stand too.

Plus that would be one more additional expense, thing to break, and so on.

I agree about having LED now instead, but there are issues with RGBLED changing colors over time, and the white LED's get yellowish over time too, see the complaints about said apple displays you praise.

Also I don't care about depth thickness much, but bezel thickness is important... Reducing the space between dual monitor setups is always appreciated more than saving half an inch on your desk which the stand or arm would take up anyways.

Yes, your absolutes don't make sense for some of us.

I use my monitors for video editing so I use two on swing arms (no base) and I like them to come as close as possibly for when I need continuity between the desktop for elements from the program. So the bezel being thin is great for this and for it to not be silver or something reflective that catches the eye.

Just keep it dark and thin and out of the way. Not something that will collect fingerprints and reflect light into your eye.

I'm excited by the prospect of popping for two of them! Any day now.

Well perhaps as you say I am insane... but our friends of LG Electronics belong to my same asylum !!!:

You will see this in April 2011, this is a small 31 inch display, of course this ultraslim bezel is only possible with OLED, it´s SO NICE even Garfield looks elegant !!!!

lg_oled_31_inchi_ifa_berlin_2010.jpg

The base is not a brick, panel electronics remains in the panel, just peripheral electronics, controls, and power supply are in the base:

lg_oled_3d_tv_2.jpg

Of course LCD + LED can´t go as far as OLED but perhaps a superb design like this can inspire some engineers to do their job.

PS1:
RGB LED must be very careful implemented for wide gamut, but an Edge LED with a good light difusser can do miracles .in a small screen ( is far easier to spread light there than in a 55 inch monster)

By the way white LED´s don´t get yellow with time, the "yellow" tint in the first iMac 27" units were caused by a manufacturing error in the diffuser layer bonding, see this in inmense detail at Gizmodo:

http://gizmodo.com/5478509/the-conclusion-to-the-faulty-imac-saga-the-beginning-of-the-fix

:D

PS2:
Your are as CRAZY as all in this forum ....FOUR 30" monitors in a VESA arm !!!!!( you mean 100 Kg + 1000 Watts, 16 MPx images....) ALL that for what...???? ....for gaming ....?????

My God !!!!!!!!!!!

Regards

The problem is OLED will be used in TVs rather than monitors first. I disagree with using TVs as displays because their contrast and brightness are way too high for everyday desktop use. Consequently, workstation panels always have weaker contrast so you don't burn your eyes out on white backgrounds.

Anyway, I ordered the U3011 since I got a price break. I will be comparing the results to my U2711.

11" OLED is $2000, so what do you think a 31" will cost?

Electronics in the base may look nice with your B&O soundsystem, but it's foolish design.

Well perhaps as you say I am insane...

Well congratulations. You convinced me. All your shouting earns you a place on my ignore list.

For the benefit of those who forgot it was there.

User CP->settings-> Edit Ignore List.

For all his ranting about the 3011, I wonder if he actually has had any experience with it or if he's just ranting based off of pictures and specs.

Got home from work this evening only to find that FedEx delivered my U3011 a day early!!! :D

I just unboxed the thing and did some quick testing. Just a really quick mini-review... I fired up Left 4 Dead 2 and the picture looks GREAT. I also had the game running on a cloned Hanns.G TN display and didn't see any input lag. Unfortunately I've taken a big performance with my GTX260. I averaged 120fps on my Hanns.G @ 1440x900, but I'm only getting 45-60fps @ 2560x1600.

I've never seen the U2711 or U3008, but after seeing the U3011 I totally understand the whole controversy regarding DELLs AG coating. The U3011 does definitely have a "sparkle" to it. It doesn't bother me that much but I couldn't imagine working on a U2711 if it really did have an even more aggressive coating.

For isometric games like StarCraft 2, I found 30" to simply be WAAAY to big (altho I'm sure this won't bother some). Regardless, I simply set the game to a lower resolution and set the U3011 display mode to "1:1". Problem solved.

Well, I'm hardly an expert when it come to displays but I'm very happy with the U3011. To be fair it's the second best looking display I've ever used, the first being the glossy Apple LED Cinema 27". But the AG coating on the U3011 really isn't noticeable unless the screen has really bright whites, making it a great alternative for people who need a monitor with dual link DVI or an internal scaler.

I've suggested that Dell offer both a glare version and a matte version, and then I think they'd have the market sewn up. That would cover both camps, and for many of us, we'd happily trade glare to get rid of the sparkles. Since it's just a layered on coating it's not like it would cost more to build a glare version. Even the case the other parts would all remain the same.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that the AG coating isn't too horrible. Would be best if it was gone altogether, but I know that wouldn't suit everyone.

I'm almost tempted to return my new U2711 for a U3011 so I can get a bigger 16:10 panel and larger dot pitch (eyes aren't as good as they used to be). Anyone compare the two yet?

Hello,

I received this monitor on Thursday and this morning I received the DisplayPort->MiniDisplayPort cable so I can use full res with MacBookPro 17".

So far picture-wise things are great, but I have not really started doing any real tests.....

The thing that makes me make this post though is a question on a buzzing (very faint) noise.... I read reports on similar from previous 3008 owners... Is it normal for 30" monitors due to their Power Supply? Should it be COMPLETELY quiet? (I would like it if it were quiet, but can live with the faint buzz if it is something expected for this technology)

Thanks

Reason I did not get the 27" (Apple or Dell) is dot pitch btw. I am 44 and my eyes are just not the same... and head kept getting closer to monitor (it is already small font on the 17" macbook yielding 1920x1200...)

Reason I did not get the 27" (Apple or Dell) is dot pitch btw. I am 44 and my eyes are just not the same... and head kept getting closer to monitor (it is already small font on the 17" macbook yielding 1920x1200...)

I'm in the same situation (though 3 years older :-0) so I'd like to hear what you think of the resolution on this monitor. I'm about to buy one myself but I'd like to hear impressions on the font size & text sharpness.

Thanks for the impressions, Ashok0. You mentioned this Dell is the 2nd best monitor you ever used, with the the Apple 27" cinema display being the first. In what ways is the Apple cinema display better than the Dell? Also, how sharp is the text on this Dell?

The thing that makes me make this post though is a question on a buzzing (very faint) noise.... I read reports on similar from previous 3008 owners... Is it normal for 30" monitors due to their Power Supply? Should it be COMPLETELY quiet? (I would like it if it were quiet, but can live with the faint buzz if it is something expected for this technology)

This is often dependent on the brightness of the monitor. Check if it is still there at 100%, a bit higher or lower might be better. Not that uncommon among displays but I don't remember any specifics about the 3008WFP.

BRUMWALD you said "the 3008 bezel looks like plastic" ...my friend....have you ever seen / touch one in person ???? if something in the Earth don´t look like painted plastic is this monitor !!!

Oh yes. I own one.

Encye can you do some input lag tests for us? And try to let us know how the AG coating is? :)

I'm really hoping this monitor is good to go.. or I'm going to end up buying an ATI card so I can get the Apple 27..

Input lag tests I cannot perform at the moment due to a lack of reference display which lacks input lag such as a CRT or a display that has a known figure for input lag. Do have an old CRT somewhere, but not sure if it's working. I'll try to test it out soon if possible.

AG coating seems a bit better than 3008WFP, but it's really subjective. It really depends on the viewer. For me personally, I do not think it's bad at all.

Anyone else like me itching to buy it even though no coupon seems to be surfacing?

Even without a coupon, if you have the spare time, you can call Dell and ask for better pricing. The more time you have to waste, the lower the price will be.

Try to speak directly to a sales supervisor. Generally, this is the process:

1. Initially offers $75 off per monitor. This is mostly due to their systems being limited to that amount. All amounts above $75 must be approved by their marketing departments.
  2. If you're satisfied and don't feel like wasting too much time, accept it.
  3. If not, tell them that you require better pricing. It helps if you sound like you know how their procedures work. For instance, you can tell the rep to contact marketing. (They may actually tell you that they'll call you back after a few hours.)
  4. Rinse and repeat steps 2 and 3.
I actually got them up to $150 per display, but in the end I got lucky and found a coupon code that worked which gave me approx $220 off per display.

Well, I've got some mixed opinions on my U3011 after using it for a few days. The AG coating is starting to bother my eyes. :-(

I know for many people the AG coating may not be a big deal. But I put my old Hanns.G TN monitor side by side to the U3011, and imho whenever I had light colors being displayed, the Hanns.G really had a more satisfactory (I know this is subjective) picture.

I hate to be nitpicky because when watching movies and playing games the U3011 is GORGEOUS. But when I have light colors on the screen i.e. surfing in Firefox any TN panel still looks "clear" to me where with the U3011 I feel like I'm looking at a RAZOR SHARP image through a slightly dirty window. I know its just a small thing, and I may be overly sensitive to it... but for $1,499 dollars, I personally can't justify keeping a display that is way MORE "sparkly" and harder on my eyes than a $120 monitor that I could buy off the shelf at Best Buy. Every NON-glossy $100-200 TN display I have ever owned has never "sparkled" like the U3011. I'm no video expert but I don't really understand why DELL and NEC can't implement whatever non-glossy/non-sparkle process is done on cheap TN monitors.

For anyone who doesn't mind a slightly aggressive AG coating, I would say this monitor is perfect. Alas, I don't think I can adjust to the "sparkle" so I've decided to return my U3011 and buy the Apple LED Cinema 27" along with a Displayport capable Fermi card.

Last edited:
Back