Dell U3011 coming soon.

So I just unwrapped and set up this beauty...anyone mind posting their preferred-calibration settings?

That tracks very close to my own experience. The U3011 has been an incredible upgrade for me as well.

Going from TN to IPS is already quite the upgrade, so going from a smaller TN to a larger IPS is really noticeable to say the least :)

I picked up a calibrator so I'll give it a try when my new monitor comes in, though I give no promises as to the results!

Going from TN to IPS is already quite the upgrade, so going from a smaller TN to a larger IPS is really noticeable to say the least :)

I picked up a calibrator so I'll give it a try when my new monitor comes in, though I give no promises as to the results!

Great, thanks! I'm currently using the sRGB preset with the brightness set to 8; it was a recommended setting I found out in the wild. :confused:

I have calibrated my u3011 with ChromaPure using Chroma 5 hardware.

My goal is to achieve Gamma of 2.2, luminosity of 120cm2 and temperature of 6500K.
Preset Mode: Custom Color
Brightness: 6
Contrast: 49
Gain (RGB): 99, 94 ,100
OffSet (RGB): 50, 50 ,50
Hue (RGBCMY): 62, 50, 50, 50, 50, 50
Saturation (RGBCMY): 46, 44, 56, 50, 50, 50

Grey scale is almost perfect using the settings listed above.

My goal is to achieve Gamma of 2.2, luminosity of 120cm2 and temperature of 6500K.

RadXge, thanks! These settings look great on my monitor. They'll probably stick too as long as I only run CC mode but I love Game mode when gaming, but I will resist the urge to switch for awhile :)

RadXge, thanks! These settings look great on my monitor. They'll probably stick too as long as I only run CC mode but I love Game mode when gaming, but I will resist the urge to switch for awhile :)

thanks as well, my only question is I get this purple/pink color on windows when I open them? it's there before as a default on the custom color setting? do I have to change something not listed here?:confused:

Hi RadXge,

Is it possible to take a picture of your service menu in order to use these settings? When the monitor is off, hold your figures on the second and fourth button (top button is one, bottom button is five, not counting power button) and press the power button. All five buttons should light up if done properly. Once they are lit, press the first (top) button 3 times and it will bring up the menu. You close it by pressing the fifth button on exit option or the power button.

Cheers

thanks as well, my only question is I get this purple/pink color on windows when I open them? it's there before as a default on the custom color setting? do I have to change something not listed here?:confused:

I only get that if I set default scaling (DPI) in Windows to something bigger than default. It creates a purple/pink border on some of my Windows Gadgets. I don't think it has anything to do with monitor settings though.

I only get that if I set default scaling (DPI) in Windows to something bigger than default. It creates a purple/pink border on some of my Windows Gadgets. I don't think it has anything to do with monitor settings though.

hmmm, i don't know man...mine still does it...o well...with sRGB presets and a little tweaking of the brightness gets me a awesome view....at least for gaming and daily use which is why I bought this to begin with....my graphic design work consists of the use of paint

Has anyone tested the input lag differences between the different inputs? I've read that certain inputs are "processed" more than others, and therefore suffer from more input lag. Would like to know more about this before pulling the trigger, since I'd be buying this in lieu of an HDTV, and hooking game consoles to it over HDMI.

Has anyone tested the input lag differences between the different inputs? I've read that certain inputs are "processed" more than others, and therefore suffer from more input lag. Would like to know more about this before pulling the trigger, since I'd be buying this in lieu of an HDTV, and hooking game consoles to it over HDMI.

That's a lot of resolution wasted.

Hi all...I am new and hoping you can help answer a few questions for me? I want to buy the u3011, however I have read about the custom color problem in the current Rev.....Do ALL Rev 01's have this problem? When is Rev 02 coming out? I am in a huge hurry as my business depends on it! Anyone have an update? Do you think if I purchased this from another company, that they might send me Rev 00? Was anything wrong with 00 or should I just wait for 02?

Also, I am very confused by all the lingo on all this, but I do know that right now I have an HP DV6000 and I'll be getting something better in the future.......but for now, is this monitor going to work with my laptop? I'm assuming it would still turn on and function if the resolution doesn't go up to 1600? Or would the monitor not function at all or could I ruin the monitor by using it on a graphics card that doesn't support 1600 resolution? By the way, I have no clue what maximum resolution my laptop has.....anyone know on the HP DV6000? Thanks so much!!!

That's a lot of resolution wasted.

Oh, it would primarily be my PC monitor, of course! :D I just want to hook consoles up to it as well. I do this with my 25" Hannspree at the moment, and it works out great, I just need a little more real estate to make watching movies from across the room more enjoyable.

If I was just going to use it for gaming, I'd grab a giganto 1080p set for the price and be done with it. I just can't really justify both...not right now, at least, and the horizontal viewing angles on this Hannspree are starting to drive me crazy, so I'm leaning toward this.

Oh, it would primarily be my PC monitor, of course! :D I just want to hook consoles up to it as well. I do this with my 25" Hannspree at the moment, and it works out great, I just need a little more real estate to make watching movies from across the room more enjoyable.

If I was just going to use it for gaming, I'd grab a giganto 1080p set for the price and be done with it. I just can't really justify both...not right now, at least, and the horizontal viewing angles on this Hannspree are starting to drive me crazy, so I'm leaning toward this.

Makes perfect sense, I was just being a smartass.

Hi all...I am new and hoping you can help answer a few questions for me? I want to buy the u3011, however I have read about the custom color problem in the current Rev.....Do ALL Rev 01's have this problem? When is Rev 02 coming out? I am in a huge hurry as my business depends on it! Anyone have an update? Do you think if I purchased this from another company, that they might send me Rev 00? Was anything wrong with 00 or should I just wait for 02?
I don't think anyone really knows the answer to these questions. I can't say if it is an issue with all A01's, but anyone that's tested it and reported here seems to have the issue.
Also, I am very confused by all the lingo on all this, but I do know that right now I have an HP DV6000 and I'll be getting something better in the future.......but for now, is this monitor going to work with my laptop? I'm assuming it would still turn on and function if the resolution doesn't go up to 1600? Or would the monitor not function at all or could I ruin the monitor by using it on a graphics card that doesn't support 1600 resolution? By the way, I have no clue what maximum resolution my laptop has.....anyone know on the HP DV6000? Thanks so much!!!
If google told me the truth, the DV6000 only has VGA. This means that you'll be able to us VGA but definitely won't get 2560x1600. You need dual-link DVI (not even normal DVI) or HDMI (as long as it's >= HDMI 1.3) to get that resolution. It shouldn't damage your monitor but using VGA it definitely won't look as good as at full res. If you are going to get a new laptop/computer then it makes sense to buy the monitor otherwise I'd say go smaller.

Your settings got me into the ballpark, but I found my panel didn't need nearly as much adjustment for the red hue. I guess the advice that not all panels are the same holds true :)

The most annoying part of calibration is making my aging 20" match my two much newer displays, with it's horribly minimal amount of color control :(

I am wondering, what would be the device to get for this monitor to do proper calibrations? I know you need a calibrator that supports wide color monitors or it will be no good. Do not really want to spend a ton on one if its possible.
I saw the nice users post with the settings he used for his chroma device. I am not sure which device that is on their website however.

Thanks

I tried these settings and it made everything really orange...people in movies looked like they had a really bad spray tan...

I tried these settings and it made everything really orange...people in movies looked like they had a really bad spray tan...

That's to be expected since each panel is different. That's using posted calibration settings is really only worth a try to see if you can get it into the right ballpark.

I don't think anyone really knows the answer to these questions. I can't say if it is an issue with all A01's, but anyone that's tested it and reported here seems to have the issue.
If google told me the truth, the DV6000 only has VGA. This means that you'll be able to us VGA but definitely won't get 2560x1600. You need dual-link DVI (not even normal DVI) or HDMI (as long as it's >= HDMI 1.3) to get that resolution. It shouldn't damage your monitor but using VGA it definitely won't look as good as at full res. If you are going to get a new laptop/computer then it makes sense to buy the monitor otherwise I'd say go smaller.

Thank you! Can you tell me what resolution I will get using VGA? I just don't understand all this stuff.......

Thank you! Can you tell me what resolution I will get using VGA? I just don't understand all this stuff.......

2048x1536 is VGAs upper end, but quality isn't going to be great on it. VGA relies on the video card for output, while it might do it... it won't be as good as DVI

2048x1536 is VGAs upper end, but quality isn't going to be great on it. VGA relies on the video card for output, while it might do it... it won't be as good as DVI

This is true but it's also a 4:3 resolution. Not sure how good it'd look on a 16:10 monitor.

2048x1280 is the max VGA res, per the plastic sheet that protects the monitor when you open the box:

http://www.anandtech.com/Gallery/Album/918#3

I also doubt it'll look very good, since that's not it's native resolution and it's running over analog.

Good call! I didn't even look at that when unboxing.

2048x1280 is 16:10 so it shouldn't look too bad but yes, not nearly as good as 2560x1600.

When I first got my U3011, the first thing I hooked it to before bringing it upstairs was my laptop and though it wasn't full res, it looked pretty good. Everything was a little big though, but it looked crisp and sharp.

Thanks everyone....I can't wait to get a new laptop that will support the full resolution, but I don't have a choice right now.....I hope it still looks good......I have no idea what my laptop will support.....I hope it is as high as what the Max VGA resolution says on the box of the monitor.........and hoping that it will be 16:10.......

Hey! My U3011 should be arriving on Friday. What are the best options for side monitors in portrait orientation?

Also, I have 2x GTX 460 video cards in SLI - will I have any problems driving 3 monitors and how does that connection work?

Hey! My U3011 should be arriving on Friday. What are the best options for side monitors in portrait orientation?

Also, I have 2x GTX 460 video cards in SLI - will I have any problems driving 3 monitors and how does that connection work?
Probably a Dell 2007FP would be the best as side displays in portrait. I have one on the side of my U3011, and another in rout from Dell Financial Services.(they have several in stock atm)

I also have a pair of SLI'd 460's, using both DVI outputs on the top card. So far this works fine. I'm actually curious how this will work once I add a third monitor. :)

I currently have a Dell 2005fpw next to mine in portrat. I had my 2405 next to it last week (tried landscape and portrait) but the 2005 has a better asthetic 'fit' while in portrait next to the U3011 but it really isn't wide enough and I'm not sure I can get used to reading web pages with such a narrow view.

If I could do Portrait-Landscape-Portrait and span games across I would be inclined to buy another 2005 or a 2007 though. Would be perfect and fit on my desk too! Of course that would mean another vid card for Sli, but for me that would be an awesome triple monitor setup for gaming.

Probably a Dell 2007FP would be the best as side displays in portrait. I have one on the side of my U3011, and another in rout from Dell Financial Services.(they have several in stock atm)

I also have a pair of SLI'd 460's, using both DVI outputs on the top card. So far this works fine. I'm actually curious how this will work once I add a third monitor. :)

I went to this page;
http://www.dfsdirectsales.com/Store...1200_max_resolution_black?offset=0&isLaptop=N

They are listing 7 Dell 2007FP's at $119 ea :eek: That seems like a killer price ? But are these returned/used bad models ? Or still ok for gaming ?

I think 2 of these on either side of the DellU3011 would be awesome.

I went to this page;
http://www.dfsdirectsales.com/Store...1200_max_resolution_black?offset=0&isLaptop=N

They are listing 7 Dell 2007FP's at $119 ea :eek: That seems like a killer price ? But are these returned/used bad models ? Or still ok for gaming ?

That's a pretty good price (I bought two recently for $110 shipped and $135 shipped on ebay) but it seems that they don't have any in stock any more.

Is there somewhere you can find just the measurements of the panels without the stand being included cause i was looking for side portrait monitors that would line up exactly to the 30in's height.

They usually go pretty quick. Keep checking a couple times a day and you'll see them. I actually canceled my order. Looks like these were a batch of PVA panels.

I got a an IPS version a few weeks ago for $127 through it. Go figure.

They usually go pretty quick. Keep checking a couple times a day and you'll see them. I actually canceled my order. Looks like these were a batch of PVA panels.

I got a an IPS version a few weeks ago for $127 through it. Go figure.

How can you be sure they are IPS? What's the trick?

hi guys, quick question. I downloaded the icc profiles from http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u3011.htm
to test with my monitor and got them installed in windows.
When I apply them however I get no change in windows colors using the custom one.
Is this correct?
I am a total noob with profiles but I thought when you changed the profile that it would change the colors that you were looking at?

Thanks and sorry for the noob question.

How can you be sure they are IPS? What's the trick?
Serial # ends in "L" = LG IPS

Serial # ends in "S" = Samsung PVA

The one's on the DFS sight are usually LG's, but there's no guarantee. You won't know till you place your order which one u get, and DFS does not like to cancel orders.

Back