Dell U3011 coming soon.

Well I finally got the monitor. I was amazed when I first set it up. I am still blown away and in awe of this beauty. The colors are so rich!

Contemplating getting a second one now :) Not sure what the fuss is about regarding the AG coating--it doesn't bother me at all.

Anyone know of any good monitor arms capable of supporting the U3011 (~20 lb)?

I had an odd problem last night. I was playing BC2, and started getting the black flickering problem. Well the monitor went black, and would not come back on. I rebooted the computer, but the monitor stayed black, when I got into Windows, but I could see the boot screen. My second monitor worked just fine. I OSD would not even come on. After a few reboots, the OSD started coming, but when I touched a button, the screen started showing colored, and black and white lines, sort of like in Batman AA when they did the Riddler joke about your game crashing. Well, after many attempts for accessing the OSD, I finally got it to switch color modes, after that, it worked normally.

Could something in my video card going bad jack up the monitor like this, or could it be something int he 11.4 preview drivers make it do something like this? Is the OSD tied to the monitor drivers in some way?

My new U3011 showed up on Friday hooray got it before the weekend... Unfortunately I just discovered a stuck pixel towards the middle of the screen after grabbing a new DVI-D cable for my laptop. To make matters worse, the only DVI-D cables that Best Buy carries are stupidly overpriced RocketFish cables, so $40 later I find out that RocketFish cables don't fit in the DVI-D ports on this monitor (at least not without a significant amount of pressure). Grrrrr.

My new U3011 showed up on Friday hooray got it before the weekend... Unfortunately I just discovered a stuck pixel towards the middle of the screen after grabbing a new DVI-D cable for my laptop. To make matters worse, the only DVI-D cables that Best Buy carries are stupidly overpriced RocketFish cables, so $40 later I find out that RocketFish cables don't fit in the DVI-D ports on this monitor (at least not without a significant amount of pressure). Grrrrr.

I'm guessing you didn't get it from Dell? Dell includes a dual-link DVI cable.

I would return that POS Best Buy cable and buy one from here: http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10209

I got it direct from Dell, I just needed an extra DVI-D cable, for my laptop (using both DVI-D ports). I kinda had to tear the shit out of the packaging of this cable, hopefully they take it back.

I got it direct from Dell, I just needed an extra DVI-D cable, for my laptop (using both DVI-D ports). I kinda had to tear the shit out of the packaging of this cable, hopefully they take it back.

Oh, gotcha. Yea I try to only purchase cables (especially digital cables like DVI/HDMI) online because B&M stores make a huge margin on them.

Luckily they accepted the return no questions asked. Have a mini-dp to dp cable coming, now just have to wait for Dell on the monitor exchange. Hopefully I can send it back via Fort Worth so it's a day turnaround each way on ground shipping... :cool:

You could have held on to the monitor and then sent it back after getting the replacement from Dell. They even include the shipping label you need to send the defective one back with.

I love my U3011. But so far I've just left it on stock settings. I don't have a hardware calibrator.
Just a little bit concerned with back-light bleeding. In a dark room with the lights off in a dark game - e.g. Metro 2033 or Amnesia Dark Descent - can definitely notice a bit of bleeding which can blend in some of the darker shades of grey/black/dark brown a bit. I know a little bit is normal, but I'm not sure if the amounts of bleeding I have is normal. Because of this I took some pictures as best I could as different ISOs and angles.

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/1584/img0692qm.jpg
http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/7186/img0693y.jpg
http://img864.imageshack.us/img864/8166/img0696v.jpg

Perhaps someone can provide me an informative response on weather or not I should get a replacement panel or not? I DO get the custom colour bug as well. Revision A01.

I've had a similar bleed pattern on both the monitors I received, after calibration it's less noticeable but still pretty easily spotted when it's a dark scene.

Hey,

Does anyone here have picture of their screen while showing the lagom image on http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php ?

I just bought a U3011 (rev00) and there is a slight blue tint on the left and pink tint on the right. It does not really bother me in normal use, but is this tinting normal(acceptable) ?

I will post pictures later showing the 'Lagom' image on http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php on my screen.

Also, even if I reduce the brightness to 0, the screen is still much brighter than my U2410 when brightness is set at 25. Normal?

The high brightness is normal. I have not seen any tinting abnormalities. I have an A01 with the custom color mode bug.

Every since I set my custom mode to the settings someone posted a couple of pages back, it has remained solid. I even switch to gaming mode when playing games, and sometimes leave it overnight in gaming mode. Then switch back to CC mode and it's still fine. It's almost like CC mode only has a problem at default settings.

Weird, but maybe setting CC mode to anything but the default settings fixes it? Seems to for me.

I just got an amazing deal for a brand new U3011. Saw the 350$ off deal on Dell's website (Canadian) and tried to pricematch it with NIX, since I could save 8.5% tax by buying from them. Turns out they accepted the pricematch right away.

Paid 1,360.62$ shipped (vs 1448$ from Dell directly, and NIX ships faster). I thought it was an amazing deal. Last time I saw it for sale was around Christmas. Not sure how often sales happen, but I was pretty psyched.

I've never gamed or used something bigger than a 22"... think I'll adjust? :) Got a pair of reference Asus 6950 to go with them, which I promptly unlocked to 6970 status. Waiting on my EK blocks to OC them hard, and I should be in heaven!

Which colorimeter would you guys suggest? Spyder3 Express, or something more high-end? I do photography (quite a bit).

Forget the spyder since it is plagued with accuracy issues.
Take a look at this:
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11436

According to some reports on the net, that was issue with early Spiders, and it was fixed since then (report was done in mid 2008). I know I have one and its working flawless on U3011 and other monitors.

More general, that IS problem with reviews. They are done on sample of one. How many times we've seen something being praised to wazoo and it turns out to be plagued with problems (or manufacturer secretly changes specs without telling anyone) and becomes lemon in hands of ordinary users? Spyders are reverse case. They get far more bad rap then they deserve.

Just sayin' ...

According to some reports on the net, that was issue with early Spiders, and it was fixed since then (report was done in mid 2008). I know I have one and its working flawless on U3011 and other monitors.

All colorimeters have a problem switching between screen types. The same colorimeter will not function well on normal gamut/wide gamut/LED screens. The different spectra of the different light sources needs to be compensated for and when using an off the shelf package, it almost certainly won't be.

I don't have the link right now, but I also read a large scale test of Spyders/Eye One colorimeters and they all have quite big sample variance as well.

Good results are likely if you have a standard gamut CCFL screen as most colorimeters seem to be set up for that (if you don't get one that is too out of wack from sample variance).

For Wide Gamut screens your best bet is likely getting a full monitor/Colorimeter/software package that is almost certainly corrected for that screen spectra. Eizo and NEC ship packages like this.

Or for use on a wide array of screen types you need Spectrophotometer, like the EyeOne Pro or Colormunki, that accurately measures in any spectra, but they are quite expensive.

I would not pair random off the shelf colorimeter with a random wide gamut monitor and expect great results. The end result may be no better than the built-in Adobe/sRGB modes.

I was thinking of ordering the Chroma 5 model ... it's 500$ already. I can't find myself to spend 1000$ on a spectroradiometer for something I will use twice in my life.

The Quato Silver Haze Pro Bundle (iColor Display + X-Rite DTP94) would be a good solution. The software implements generic corrections for WCG-CCFL spectra (92-102% NTSC) and the probe is very stable. Only problem could be overseas availability.

Best regards

Denis

I guess Dell is shipping Rev. A02 now, just got one as a replacement for my greenish A01. Both were made in Mexico. Anybody else got an A02 by now? Let's compare notes.

So I got my U3011 this morning... holy fucking shit. Coming from a 22", I had never imagined it would be So big. 1680x1060 => 2500x1600 is just insane... so much space.

Im gonna have to make these icons bigger, can barely see them lol.

On another hand, the 6970 that came with it runs insanely hot. 94C in Crysis 2... better order a block I suppose, that's just too hot for my taste.

So I got my U3011 this morning... holy fucking shit. Coming from a 22", I had never imagined it would be So big. 1680x1060 => 2500x1600 is just insane... so much space.

Im gonna have to make these icons bigger, can barely see them lol.

On another hand, the 6970 that came with it runs insanely hot. 94C in Crysis 2... better order a block I suppose, that's just too hot for my taste.

Is yours Rev.A02 as well or still an A01? Any issues with the custom color mode?

I got a Thermalright Shaman on my GTX 580, very happy with the noise level and cooling, but it does make your video card a four-slotter.

I got an A01. No issue that I could see so far.

Four slotter for a single GPU is insane, Much rather have a block on there and keep the card in the low 60s.

Just to confirm what another person stated, I received my U3011 this morning and it is revision A02. I placed my order last Friday. No idea what was fixed/addressed in A02 though.

So I've seen three units so far, one A01, two A02. According to the calibration report for gray tracking, one of them was calibrated to 7000K, another to 6500K, and the last one to 7500K. Of course, the 7500K one is an otherwise perfect A02 with zero dead/bright pixels...

While obviously color temperature can be recalibrated in custom mode, I'd much prefer to stick to decently calibrated sRGB mode and D65. Anybody else have panels which have been set pretty far from 6500K according to the report? Is this pretty common for U3011?

anyone else experience dizziness / nausea after playing a game on this monitor? just played a game for about 40 mins and now very dizzy. monitor is about 2 feet away.

anyone else experience dizziness / nausea after playing a game on this monitor? just played a game for about 40 mins and now very dizzy. monitor is about 2 feet away.

Your monitor is way to close man...

Too close? NEC recommends their 30" be placed approx. 70cm from the user, which is 2.2 feet.

Try 3 feet and see if it helps.

Have you tried adjusting your brightness/contrast?

using sRGB mode
brightness 0
contrast 65-70 I think

I haven't calibrated it yet. I only have a spyder 2 express and there was a link, maybe in here, that says those are just garbage.

So let me get this straight.
Are we in the rev A02 era now?,because i spoke with dell here in Greece yesterday and they told me
that theres only one revision of this monitor.

I experience that playing any FPS like game on just about any monitor.

But a bigger monitor will make it worse and being closer makes it worse.

I don't see why you can't move further back just to play games and sit closer to read smaller text.

Back