Dell U2713HM

Yeah, I definitely am a Dell kind of guy.. And I was eyeing this specific line. I'm probably going to try and get the newest secondhand.. I just picked up another P2414 (for work, definitely not gaming..) for $40 used.. Hopefully I can find a similar deal on an ultrasharp.. ;c) I've noticed that usually their response times are a bit large, is that something to worry about?

After reading all these monitor reviews.. Why is it so darn hard to just make a monitor without any flaws? I understand that different units have different pos and negs, but all I read about is how every monitor pretty much blows.. I guess the squeaky wheels post more than the satisfied customers. But, if I'm looking for a larger format (27") monitor, and deciding between 1440p, or going 3D.. Where should I be looking?

I'm really happy with my 2713HM and I got it right after it was released. It's probably the BEST electronics purchase I've made in the last 5 years because I spend 8+ hours a day working in front of it. I don't game so I cannot comment on that aspect.

I do see crosshatching if I look at white background, and I'll bet if I really looked I'd see other issues. But in my regular use I've never had any issues and I don't notice any of the stuff people complaint about on [H]. I wonder if I would have even noticed the cross hatching if not for people on this forum pointing it out.

Everybody has their own standards of perfection, but I'll bet for 90%+ of people who have purchased the U2713HM the monitor is fantastic and they have no complaints.

I wonder if I would have even noticed the cross hatching if not for people on this forum pointing it out.

When I noticed it on my U2312HM, I'd never heard of it before. It was while reading through this thread that I realized what it was, and then I noticed it on my U2713HM as well when I got it. It was much worse on the U2312HM, though.

The overshoot on this monitor is just terrible. Very noticeable even when just dragging windows around and scrolling on websites.

The overshoot on this monitor is just terrible. Very noticeable even when just dragging windows around and scrolling on websites.

What exactly do you mean by overshoot? Is it ghosting? Because I don't see any of that with my latest (new/revised) replacement monitor (A00, October 2013).

Only some revisions suffer from overshoot ghosting, examples can be seen here.

I'm really happy with my 2713HM and I got it right after it was released. It's probably the BEST electronics purchase I've made in the last 5 years because I spend 8+ hours a day working in front of it. I don't game so I cannot comment on that aspect.

I do see crosshatching if I look at white background, and I'll bet if I really looked I'd see other issues. But in my regular use I've never had any issues and I don't notice any of the stuff people complaint about on [H]. I wonder if I would have even noticed the cross hatching if not for people on this forum pointing it out.

Everybody has their own standards of perfection, but I'll bet for 90%+ of people who have purchased the U2713HM the monitor is fantastic and they have no complaints.

+1.

I completely agree with OP, what is more I game a lot on this display: Dark Souls, FarCry 3, BF 3 and BF 4 and I honestly can't say a bad word about this monitor.

I've got an early revision (sometime in 2012) and I've never noticed it in my daily work.

+1.

I completely agree with OP, what is more I game a lot on this display: Dark Souls, FarCry 3, BF 3 and BF 4 and I honestly can't say a bad word about this monitor.

Same here, I just got it today and I'm really impressed.
A few things I noticed right away:

-Deeper blacks, compared to P2414H.
-Almost no IPS glow! (goodbye annoying bottom corners)
-No obvious backlight bleed, it's way ahead of P2414H when it comes to uniformity.
-No noticeable input lag, the mouse feels very precise. Moving objects in Adobe Illustrator feels the same on both monitors, the only difference is the mouse sensitivity / acceleration changing. (no heavy / elastic feeling).
-More saturated/vibrant colors

le: rev a00 dec 2013
le2: added photo in pitch black room: http://imgur.com/a/n9KKZ

Last edited:
Like I stated in my other post, this monitor is awesome!. I don't notice any of the overshoot or other issues so many people have reported on this monitor. I must've gotten a perfect panel, as there's no crosshatching, blb or even alot of ips glow. Colors are stunning and comparable to my Crossover. All in all, just a great monitor with a quality panel.

I highly recommend this monitor.

Mother of desktop lag: Desktop Composition setting (vsync on desktop)

I turned that off and here are the results from http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/index.php

U2713HM
ON: 240 ms lowest - 270 ms average
OFF: 178 ms lowest - 190 ms average

P2414H
ON: 213 ms lowest - 245 average
OFF: 169 ms lowest - 183 ms average

U2212HM
ON: 232 ms lowest - 265 ms average
OFF: 199 ms lowest - 228 ms average
(using a Microsoft 125hz mouse)

For me the difference is quite noticeable, especially on U27, so bye bye Aero theme.

Update:

Setting the scaling mode to Fullscreen / GPU and disabling Color Management reduces the input lag of U2713HM by alot.
145 ms lowest - 175 ms average.

Last edited:
Dell has this refurbished with 30% off today. I ordered one to see if things have changed since I first tried it exactly a year ago. Hopefully I'll get a new rev without any problems.

I haven't seen as many sales for this monitor as before. Dell hardly discounts it but it still goes on sale for $550 at other retailers (Amazon, Newegg). I'd rather deal with Dell directly for easier exchanges though.

I just picked one up from Microcenter. It has a build date of April 2014 and the revision is A00.

No dead pixels, no cross thatch, although panel uniformity is slightly irregular on the middle right side. Overall it's good enough for me. It takes some getting used to the lower resolution compared to my U3011 and the colors render somewhat differently. (Wide-gamut vs 72% NTSC.)

The reason for this downgrade is mostly because the U3011 was great, but it would put out way too much heat. The screen when measured with an IR thermometer was up to 112F along the top. This U2713HM is 92F at the hottest part along the same area across the top part of the screen. It's a nice 20F temperature decrease and I can already feel the room being much cooler. LEDs are definitely more efficient! :)

I just picked one up from Microcenter. It has a build date of April 2014 and the revision is A00.

No dead pixels, no cross thatch, although panel uniformity is slightly irregular on the middle right side. Overall it's good enough for me. It takes some getting used to the lower resolution compared to my U3011 and the colors render somewhat differently. (Wide-gamut vs 72% NTSC.)

The reason for this downgrade is mostly because the U3011 was great, but it would put out way too much heat. The screen when measured with an IR thermometer was up to 112F along the top. This U2713HM is 92F at the hottest part along the same area across the top part of the screen. It's a nice 20F temperature decrease and I can already feel the room being much cooler. LEDs are definitely more efficient! :)
This was the main reason I picked one up. My older monitor (Dell 2407wpf-HC) put out a TON of heat as well. The 2713 puts out less then half which really helps in the summer since I have a tiny office.

BUMP! I just got one of these on Amazon for $615. My photographs have never looked better! I love it. I can see a little light bleed in the lower right at times but I don't care, it looks great and seems to do well with games compared to the U2412M it's replacing.

So my mini review:
It looks fantastic. All of the positive reviews out there are spot on. BUT, if you are the type that is going to immediately test for "light bleed" and obsess over it, you might not like it. I'm not one of those people.

My monitor was labeled as rev A00 produced May of 2014

the search isnt working at the moment, but how well do these scale? im looking at picking one of these up from dells refurb, but i need to know how well they scale with a ps3/4 first.

When I get home I can scale mine for you and take some pictures. From memory, before adjusting their resolution to 1440p in certain games they looked great at 1080p.

Love these monitors.

Back