Dell U2713HM

Just a heads up, they're all still rev A00. I figured I'd ask since they'd been available for a while overseas.

Hi guys,

I just got my U2713HM today and have been testing and playing with it for about 4 hours now. Normally I wouldn't jump on a new product so fast but I managed to take advantage of a pricing error on a corporate dell account and get one with an a 5 year accidental damage warranty for $600 :p

Not a single dead or stuck pixel (and that guaranteed for 5 years is is why I went with Dell over any other vendor).

There is what I would consider significant white light bleeding in the bottom left, and it extends out almost 75% of the lower-left quadrant, with decreased intensity the farther you look from the bottom-left corner. There is absolutely no white light bleeding anywhere else on the screen, even the top edges, as i've seen in some other owner's pictures in this thread and elsewhere. I have never owned or even used an IPS monitor before so I don't know what to think about this. I assume this is normal?

Anyway, thus far I am quite happy with the monitor. I've not yet dived into enough action video games to comment on ghosting. I think i'm likely to notice ghosting since I play so many FPS games, and have been using a 2ms response TN panel for years. I really hope I notice no ghosting though!

In just 30 minutes of skyrim and BF3 I was really able to notice the ips glow/bleeding in the bottom left. I then switched the display mode to game mode (which doesn't let me change brightness without turning off dynamic contrast) and the glow became about half as visible, although it doesn't seem to be half the brightness. In fact with chrome open the browser window is even brighter in game mode. I don't understand at all how the non-standard presets work, but standard is the only one which has dynamic contrast turned off. The other modes, all of which have dynamic contrast it turned on, seem to have a lot less glow visible in the bottom left, including multimedia and games. Like if I open solid black jpeg full screen I can see the brightness levels being lowered over a few seconds after opening it. I've never had a monitor that could do that...lol.

Last edited:
This might be what is referred to as "IPS glow" instead of backlight bleed. Since IPS panels are very much substantially brighter than TN panels, sometimes (depending on viewing angle) you might get that.

It's probably not IPS glow, most U2713HM monitors seem to have bleeding in the lower-left corner.

IPS glow is only visible in areas that are at an angle from your view. So you can check by moving your head and looking straight at the corner - if it's still visible then it's bleeding.

Hi guys,

I just got my U2713HM today and have been testing and playing with it for about 4 hours now. Normally I wouldn't jump on a new product so fast but I managed to take advantage of a pricing error on a corporate dell account and get one with an a 5 year accidental damage warranty for $600 :p

Not a single dead or stuck pixel (and that guaranteed for 5 years is is why I went with Dell over any other vendor).

There is what I would consider significant white light bleeding in the bottom left, and it extends out almost 75% of the lower-left quadrant, with decreased intensity the farther you look from the bottom-left corner. There is absolutely no white light bleeding anywhere else on the screen, even the top edges, as i've seen in some other owner's pictures in this thread and elsewhere. I have never owned or even used an IPS monitor before so I don't know what to think about this. I assume this is normal?

Anyway, thus far I am quite happy with the monitor. I've not yet dived into enough action video games to comment on ghosting. I think i'm likely to notice ghosting since I play so many FPS games, and have been using a 2ms response TN panel for years. I really hope I notice no ghosting though!

In just 30 minutes of skyrim and BF3 I was really able to notice the ips glow/bleeding in the bottom left. I then switched the display mode to game mode (which doesn't let me change brightness without turning off dynamic contrast) and the glow became about half as visible, although it doesn't seem to be half the brightness. In fact with chrome open the browser window is even brighter in game mode. I don't understand at all how the non-standard presets work, but standard is the only one which has dynamic contrast turned off. The other modes, all of which have dynamic contrast it turned on, seem to have a lot less glow visible in the bottom left, including multimedia and games. Like if I open solid black jpeg full screen I can see the brightness levels being lowered over a few seconds after opening it. I've never had a monitor that could do that...lol.

what about the ghosting? I am interested in the monitor truly. I am just worried about the responsiveness in FPS games etc.

also it sounds like I should wait until a 2nd Revision comes out... my suggestion is to use a custom calibration and adjust the brightness. these ultrasharps out of the box come at like 75% brightness which literally burns my eyes and effects how the picture looks for me atleast.

what about the ghosting? I am interested in the monitor truly. I am just worried about the responsiveness in FPS games etc.

also it sounds like I should wait until a 2nd Revision comes out... my suggestion is to use a custom calibration and adjust the brightness. these ultrasharps out of the box come at like 75% brightness which literally burns my eyes and effects how the picture looks for me atleast.

In 2 hours of battlefield 3 and planetside 2 I noticed no input lag or ghosting or any issue that seemed unique to fast paced action. Perhaps it is just me, because every review I've read has mentioned at least some ghosting effect. However several have measured it as less than a U2711. The backlight bleed though.. Holy crap in a dark cave in skyrim, or a dark tunnel in metro 2033 (aka the entire game), that glow is quite aggravating unless I turn the brightness below 40% or use a dynamic setting. I actually like the dynamic adjustment, except for when you alt-tab you go blind for about 10 seconds.

In additional to personal use, I bought this to test and see if they would be sufficient as a secondary xray viewing station in a hospital and clinic settings. I pulled up an xray on this monitor and laughed my ass off. Big yellow glow in the corner..... lol. Good luck ever selling more than one of these displays to a hospital. Gotta stick to TN panels or 20 grand specialty monitors for that =/

Last edited:
I own a U2711 and S27A950D. There is an obvious difference between them but I reckon most people would be fine on the U2711. Apparently the U2713HM is similar if not better when it comes to ghosting so you would probably be fine with it. There are some shots from that Pixperan program and some discussion about this on some of the reviews:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2713hm.htm
http://pcmonitors.org/reviews/dell-u2713hm

yeah ive read those. hard to make a decision still heh

IPS glow on all IPS panels is almost always most prominent on the right lower corner, not the left, so if its any other corner its probably light bleed. Why only the lower right corner is always affected, I would surely like to know. Resolution aside, I cannot believe how this kind of absolute garbage is being sold in $800 professional screens these days. May be a second LCD class action is in order, this time for piss poor QC.

Here is Dell's canned e-mail and support forum response to the yellow/white bottom left corner bleeding found on apparently every U2713HM.

Dear [insert customer name]

Uneven Backlight or Color
* We do not validate our monitors in a dark room. We use standard office lighting
* Dell monitors do not have 100% backlight uniformity specification. As long as the center 2" circle meets our manufacturer specifications, it is acceptable
* If the Brightness and Contrast are maxed to 100 and you measure the brightness difference of any two points on the monitor, the difference will never be greater than 25%
* Dell monitors do not have 100% color uniformity specification. As long as the exact center 2" circle meets x=0.313 and y=0.329 (6500K), it meets our manufacturer specifications. So, the center may be 6500K, but the sides and corners may not which is why you may see that one side or corner is different than the others

Alas I want to reiterate. I have bleeding in bottom left corner. I am still satisfied with the monitor for my business applications and gaming use. However if you haven't bought it yet, I would hold out until you can see reviews of the Asus PB278Q. Just be very cautious with Asus' warranty on monitors. If you have the choice you should definitly buy one at a brick and mortar store and inspect the product before leaving. It's unlikely you'll be able to check for bleeding in a well-lit retail store, but checking for pixel issues shouldn't be that tough. Asus display warranties regarding pixels is industry standard... ewww.

bleeding is only noticeable if you have the brightness at a high % and the room is completely pitch black

Alas I want to reiterate. I have bleeding in bottom left corner.

did you buy from dell directly? they offer a 30 day satisfaction guarantee, so you can just exchange it for another one. keep doing it until you find one that isn't so bad.

However if you haven't bought it yet, I would hold out until you can see reviews of the Asus PB278Q. Just be very cautious with Asus' warranty on monitors. If you have the choice you should definitly buy one at a brick and mortar store and inspect the product before leaving.

or if you're forced to buy online, get it from some place like amazon or buy.com that has a generous return policy.

Do you have any experience with ASUS warranty personally esp for the P series?, for the P series panels it seems they have 2 day cross shipping policy just like Dell and HP.

From their site:
Along with a 3 year warranty for the display panel and system, you get the complimentary ASUS Rapid Replacement service that covers free 2-way shipping and offers free cross-shipping that swaps any defective unit with a replacement.

Last edited:
Do you have any experience with ASUS warranty personally esp for the P series?, for the P series panels it seems they have 2 day cross shipping policy just like Dell and HP.

From their site:
Along with a 3 year warranty for the display panel and system, you get the complimentary ASUS Rapid Replacement service that covers free 2-way shipping and offers free cross-shipping that swaps any defective unit with a replacement.

Quoted from Asus monitor warranty page

Since LCD panel is made up of millions of micro electronic pixels, if one pixel no longer functions normally, it will become a bright or dark dot. By ISO 13406-2 standards, ASUS conforms to the acceptance level between 3 to 5 defective bright/dark pixels. In order to deliver ultimate vision experience to ASUS customer, if your panel is less than or equal to the above number of dots, then, it is considered as an acceptable LCD monitor.

In addition to this shitty standard policy quoted above, Asus offers a warranty with the same coverage of Dell's premium panel guarantee, but only for select premium monitors. The PB278Q is not one of these premium monitors and thus does not get this warranty.

However Asus is granting a limited version of the premium warranty (Zero Bright Dot warranty) for the PB278Q only. It warrants replacement for a single stuck bright pixel, but sadly for the 1st year only, unlike other premium asus monitors which get this warranty for the full 3 years. The PB278Q only has the industry standard warranty for the remaining 2 years, which can be seen in the quote above.

Dell professional, ultrasharp, and alienware monitors get this bright stuck pixel replacement coverage for the full warranty duration of 3 years (or 4 or 5 if you buy a longer warranty). This is hugely important to me.

Both Asus and Dell's premium warranty cover replacement of dark stuck pixels only after reaching at least 5. However I have personal experience is getting dell to replace ultra-sharps with less then 5 dark stuck pixels when they are in the center region of the screen. One great thing about 2560x1440 monitors is that unlit/dark stuck pixels are very difficult to notice, unlike those pesky lit/bright stuck pixels.

may have to consider that but in my exp pixels do not go bad all of a sudden, plus given the subjective nature of displays I have never
had issues coming up with a 'problem' to get it exchanged. Where did u read about the pb278q not having full 3 years coverage? I verified with TD that they will take the monitor back n pay return shipping if defective.

may have to consider that but in my exp pixels do not go bad all of a sudden, plus given the subjective nature of displays I have never
had issues coming up with a 'problem' to get it exchanged. Where did u read about the pb278q not having full 3 years coverage? I verified with TD that they will take the monitor back n pay return shipping if defective.

I read it on Asus' website and newegg.

It was a three year warranty but only the first year is their premium panel guarantee.

How about the upcoming ViewSonic VP2770 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116578
If the AG coating is not aggressive it will be an excellent option.
Sadly it has 12ms response time. There was a bit of confusion around this, as the European website listed 12ms G2G while the US website showed 5ms (typ). But now both have 12ms in the spec sheet.
It seems it's using the same panel as HP ZR2740, maybe even the new light-AG version. Review should be coming soon on tftcentral.

Looks like it's actually a PLS panel. High response time is confirmed, and the input lag is also pretty high. Not meant for gamers...
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/viewsonic_vp2770-led.htm

pecheckler, was yours from the June 2012 batch or the purportedly better July 2012 manufacture date?

I haven't seen any definitive issues mentioned on one from the July batch yet (unless I missed a page), so curious if the hearsay is correct and they've gotten around first batch issues or if it was just due to a lack of testing. Thanks!

received this monitor yesterday.
rev a00 manufacture date august 2012.
perfect monitor so far,very slight backlight bleed in the lower left corner

On the Australian Dell website these are currently $559.

Now I need to figure if its a decent gaming monitor. 18 pages to trawl through :D

On the Australian Dell website these are currently $559.

Now I need to figure if its a decent gaming monitor. 18 pages to trawl through :D

Wow. That's a big drop from that $799 MSRP when it first appeared on Dell's Australia site.

How much does the brightness setting affect the backlight bleed? From what I've read, turning on dynamic contrast, or one of the modes that automatically uses it, drastically reduces the problem in dark games and movies. But is that true in everyone's case?

Maybe everyone could add their brightness levels to their comments when you post about BLB. That would help us get a sense of how bad the problem is.

How much does the brightness setting affect the backlight bleed? From what I've read, turning on dynamic contrast, or one of the modes that automatically uses it, drastically reduces the problem in dark games and movies. But is that true in everyone's case?

Maybe everyone could add their brightness levels to their comments when you post about BLB. That would help us get a sense of how bad the problem is.

~ Above 120 cd\m2 it starts bothering you too much. At 190cd\m2 and above it becomes intolerable in dark scenes and you want to return the monitor...

No ghosting i've noticed after a few days. Seems great for gaming. My only problem is the backlight bleed, which drove me to call for an exchange. Got my new monitor on its way with return label. Was on the phone with Dell for barely 5 minutes and got my RMA e-mail. How cool is that? Gotta love corporate support.

Well ive ordered 3, so we'll see how I go.

Anyone have any experience debezeling these? If its easy enough ill give it a go otherwise ill keep my 3 year warranty intact.

Good luck on the replacement pecheckler. One thing Dell is certainly good at is quickly replacing hardware. Though I'm not sure if that's really a good thing or not :p

For the gaming question, the TFTCentral review puts it into the good-to-middle of the road for gaming, with a total average input lag of 22.3 ms and better performance on ghosting than most comparison panels. So I think that would say if you're used to fast TN panels you might have issues. If you're used to IPS, then it'll be peachy.

Hello guys, I just received my monitor today and I just wanted to post a very positive review about it. I ordered the monitor before finding these reports about backlight bleed so was ready for the worst when it came. I am quite happy to say that there is little to no backlight bleed on my rev 0 August 2012 monitor. I can post pictures later when it gets dark, but suffice to say, I am an extremely picky Art Director for a large marketing department and deal with color calibration and color issues almost every day and find this monitor about as perfect as you can get for under a grand. The sRGB reproduction is far more realistic and calibrated than the 2711, which I have used before (it was way too saturated in reds because the the AdobeRGB wide gamut). Also, the gamma is as perfect I have ever seen a shipping monitor. It is 2.2 at all colors and values.

At work we all have either 27" iMacs with the same resolution or the 30" cinema display. This monitor surpasses both in color accuracy and contrast (the 30" is actually quite dim in comparison on whites)

The only monitor I have seen close to this one is the 27" thunderbolt, but I haven't actually worked on one, just played with it extensively in the Apple store.

Anyways, if you are a designer on a PC (like most web people) and you also love to play games, this monitor is perfect.

If I had to choose some bad things to say about the 2713, they would be 1) its only 60hz (but basically no ghosting at all) and it still has as much IPS glow at off angles as older IPS monitors.

I'm considering trying to overclock my DVI connection and seeing if I can do anything above 60hz, has anyone attempted this?

I

Upon closer inspection, there does appear to be some backlight bleed in the lower left. But it is ONLY visible in a darkened room with a black or nearly black screen.

Mine doesn't appear to be as bad as some of these other posters but it is in the exact same place.

well, no replies, but just as an FYI, I tried overclocking this monitor a bit with Nvidia control panel and it just started skipping frames, so thats a no on overclocking.

Still very much liking the monitor apart from the bottom left slight bleed

Last edited:
I made a custom driver for this monitor to get 72hz refresh rate at 2560-1440 and works without promblems on all apps/games.
I manage to drive this monitor with EDID overdrive (and modded ATI driver) at 90Hz and works perfect in 2D but i had some problems with games (black screen - pc rebbot)
I work this monitor with 2x5850 in xfire and DVI output and post a link with my modded driver for every1 who wants to try it.

The 72Hz works without any ATI driver mod ,just replace monitor driver.

https://rapidshare.com/files/2206156570/72hz.inf

Are you sure you are getting the full 72hz? When I bumped mine up things just moved a little jerky.

Thanks

Just splashed out on this monitor. Ordered it for $610 US dollars (inlcuding delivery). What price are people paying for this?

I should have the monitor by next week. I'll report back any backlight bleeding etc. I tend to have my office relatively dark, so it will be interesting. Currently have quite an old 19" Dell monitor which is still running perfectly, but thought it was time for an upgrade.

By the way, this thread is really quiet for such an exciting release. I suspect it's due to the fact it's not cheap and not many people have bought it as a result?

Just splashed out on this monitor. Ordered it for $610 US dollars (inlcuding delivery). What price are people paying for this?

I should have the monitor by next week. I'll report back any backlight bleeding etc. I tend to have my office relatively dark, so it will be interesting. Currently have quite an old 19" Dell monitor which is still running perfectly, but thought it was time for an upgrade.

By the way, this thread is really quiet for such an exciting release. I suspect it's due to the fact it's not cheap and not many people have bought it as a result?

Where did you find it for that price?

Backlight bleed and image retention are the main reasons that alot of people aren't jumping on these when you can get a Korean monitor for half the price. Granted they have their own issues including backlight bleed. I personally really like dell since they have a warranty those cheap monitors just can not match.

Back