Dell U2713HM

The one I got off Amazon for $560 shipped is going to arrive Monday. Can't wait to see what 1440p is like in all of its glory!

I tried to pickup the dell for $559, but Amazon was getting hit hard by the time I saw it.

I have an Auria right now(Microcenter Korean), this monitor has some yellow bleeding visible on white screens that I've seen described in this thread.

Received mine this morning. Letting it warm up inside for a few hours, I'll post some pictures tonight sometime. :D

Let us know the manufacture date too. Mine got shipped via federal express. Getting on Mon. Gotta love Dell.

Received mine this morning. Letting it warm up inside for a few hours, I'll post some pictures tonight sometime. :D

Got mine this afternoon! Beautiful monitor :)

Let us know the manufacture date too. Mine got shipped via federal express. Getting on Mon. Gotta love Dell.

Rev A00. Manufactured September 2012.

Got mine this afternoon! Beautiful monitor :)

Rev A00. Manufactured September 2012.

Nice! Mine was manufactured in October, revision A00. I'll put some pics up tomorrow i guess, i've been too busy playing :D

You could have used the Dell eGift card promo to save at least anther $75-$90.
ahh.. ok. oh well.. Ill just consider the extra $75 I paid to be stimulus to dell.. lol

so.. ordered Thursday pm, tracking shows to be delivered 12/11.. w00t!

I've got the U2713HM next to a U2412M.

Both monitors are fantastic. With all the talk of Quad-HD and retina displays, one of the first things I looked for was clarity/sharpness of text, and this whole "seeing the pixels" disease that so many people have suddenly developed after seeing the retina Macbook Pro :p

I'm currently sitting about 2.5 feet from each monitor. At the 100 PPI setting (in Windows), both monitors look fantastic, but the text on the U2713HM very sharp (no pixelated corners/edges), and the text on the U2412M seems to have some slight roughness around the edges. The laptop I'm using has a 1080P 15.6 inch screen placed ~1.5 feet away, and I don't see a whole lot of improvement over the U2713M in terms of text clarity.

Same holds true when the U2713 and Laptop are at 125 PPI while the U2412M is at 100 PPI, although the difference between the two monitors seems to be smaller. 1080P laptop screen, as before, is very sharp.

I know people want 300 PPI screens, but I suspect near 150 PPI nobody will be able to tell the difference at typical viewing distances. And the 32" Quad-HD resolution Sharp monitor is close to that - can't wait for the prices to come down.

The caveat here is that I'm not 20 with eyes like a superhero - don't think my eyes are retina quality any longer :p

Is anybody wants pictures with the two monitors next to each other let me know. I don't play games, but I can put some websites/documents on the screen if anybody wants to see the difference.

I really don't know how people use multi-monitors with wide screens. With 4:3 monitors it was okay, but this setup is giving me a headache.

Anybody who recently got one of these have any issues with cross-hatching or ghosting?

I took pictures of the U2412M and U2713HM in landscape and portrait mode if anybody wants to see the size difference. Height wise they are quite close. The U2712HM is about 3.5 inches wider.

Pictures were taken without flash on a gloomy day so they are blurry.

http://imgur.com/a/VK3mq

I took pictures of the U2412M and U2713HM in landscape and portrait mode if anybody wants to see the size difference. Height wise they are quite close. The U2712HM is about 3.5 inches wider.

Pictures were taken without flash on a gloomy day so they are blurry.

http://imgur.com/a/VK3mq
I'm surprised how close they are height wise.

Anybody who recently got one of these have any issues with cross-hatching or ghosting?

Don't see either, but have not used it all that much this weekend. Will post an update after I do some serious work on it.

By ghosting, do you mean image retention? I don't game so I can't verify ghosting in that situation.

I'm surprised how close they are height wise.

That's the joy of 16:9 vs 16:10.

Got my U2713HM.

Made in Mexico - Rev A00 - November

Initial impressions:

1. Good out of box colour. Brightness was slightly high on standard mode - turned down to 50 and I am happy with it. The TFTCentral ICC profile and settings did not look very good on my particular monitor.

2. No dead pixels, no stuck pixels.

3. Thought there was a hairline scratch but whatever it was rubbed out very easily.

4. Crosshatching: With excel open there is only the most minute crosshatching that I can detect with my face against the monitor and I see very very fine diagonal lines, not like the pictures posted previously. I would not consider this a problem at all as I have the monitor 2"+ away from me.

5. Anti-glare coating is the perfect mix between glossy and matte. I really prefer this over the glossy 27" iMac's I use at work.

6. The backlight bleed is annoying. At brightness 50 contrast 75 on standard mode, on a black background there is a very large swath of yellow coming from the bottom left with minor clouding on the bottom right. This is my only problem with the monitor. The image below drastically exaggerates the problem as I don't notice the clouding in the other corners that badly. From the human eye perspective it is just the yellow at the bottom left as many have reported here.

q3eKC.jpg

7. Gaming: I have tested this with Far Cry 3 and Counter-Strike:GO. The response times are very good and I personally feel that it is acceptable even for my CS:GO play - (I have played CS for over 8 years and also at a competitive level) although it is not as quick as 120hz LCDs - however I feel that 120HZ LCD's give diminishing returns.

Far Cry 3 with everything on highest/ultra at native resolution 2x MSAA and HBAO runs at around 40-50fps with a Gigabyte Geforce GTX 670 OC 2GB Edition. Great game.

GtY1S.jpg

I will test image retention with something more severe but so far with 20 minutes left on there is no retention. I am now torn as to what to do. I purchased this in the US and then brought it back to Canada for the discounts I could apply. Returning it would mean hauling it back to my US parcel holding address, sending it back, then going across the border again to fetch the new one - at the risk of getting another panel with BLB :mad:

I live in Vancouver so it's not too far, but it is two trips and a hassle :(

Anyways, I will answer any questions regarding this monitor, hit me up.

I live in Vancouver so it's not too far, but it is two trips and a hassle :(

Anyways, I will answer any questions regarding this monitor, hit me up.

There have been cases in BLB improving after a bit of use. If you are going to take a couple of days to decide, I would run the monitor continuously over night during that time, maybe on max brightness and then check again.

When taking BLB pictures you really need to back up as far as you can, to eliminate the effects of IPS corner go, which is dependent on viewing angle. A tripod or using a chair or something, with the self timer and a longer exposure at lower ISO would be better as well.

well, mine due to arrive tomorrow... can't wait! having enjoyed the Korean 1440p goodness for a few months, then have it die, now back on my normally side display - 23" 1080p.. blech... so looking forward to 27" 1440p goodness.... and return this 23 back to its peripheral winamp/ browser duty...

soo.. after a couple days with this thing, i must say, i love it. had one stuck pixel, massaged it for a few seconds and it went away. sweet.

i do have the yellow backlight bleed in the very lower left corner, but it's hardly noticeable. no other bleeding to speak of, so thumbs up in that regard. it is what it is.

absolutely blown away by the color and clarity of everything. makes me old benq/2007wfp look like shit. i'll never be able to go back to 1080p now.. time to get another 680 :(

Yeah sorry for the poor image the yellow bleed at the bottom left is similar to other reports and is evident at my normal sitting position ~3ft away. What is worse is that it is noticeable for example on the blue far cry 3 initial loading screen it actually shifts the colour! I will try leaving it on max brightness and also tapping the frame to see if it helps. More updates tonight.

Got my u2713hm today! I have a little bit yellow in the lower left, but it's not too bad. My u2311h was worse in that regard and it had some purple in the upper right. This 27 doesn't have that, so I think I'll be keeping this panel. I also have no idea what cross hatching is, and since I don't know, I don't notice, and prefer to keep it that way. :p

Moving from 1080P to 1440P... wow my eyes are bleeding. (it's pretty bright out of the box). I have more screen real estate than I know what to do with right now.

The colors look great, and the only downside is my frame rate feels low, even with a GTX 680. Right away I could see why some people start going multi-card at this resolution. Either that or you need to start sacrificing some detail. With 78% extra horsepower required compared to 1080P it definitely starts to show.

Overall, I'm happy I made the move. I figure by the time Dell or Asus and etc release a 120hz 1440P IPS, it won't be within my price range for quite a while. But this shall hold me over until then. :)

Edit : Also does anyone have any suggestions for a monitor stand that could mount a 27 and a 23 side by side? I don't have room on my desk to place both of these side by side.

Last edited:
Got my u2713hm today! I have a little bit yellow in the lower left, but it's not too bad. My u2311h was worse in that regard and it had some purple in the upper right. This 27 doesn't have that, so I think I'll be keeping this panel. I also have no idea what cross hatching is, and since I don't know, I don't notice, and prefer to keep it that way. :p

Please can you check for image retention and tell us the result? (see my earlier posts in this thread on how to check for it with a grey background). Also include your display's revision (A00 or something similar) and manufacture date.

I've been sitting in front of the monitor for the whole day, mostly looking at text and statistical-type visuals (e.g. charts). At certain points I would take extended breaks (e.g. 20 minutes) and just leave everything on the screen.

Don't see any image retention. I think do detect some cross-hatching, but it's something I have to focus on to see. I don't think I would have ever noticed it if not for people talking about it on [H]. Definitely doesn't bother me.

Moving from 1080P to 1440P... wow my eyes are bleeding. (it's pretty bright out of the box). I have more screen real estate than I know what to do with right now.

You said it. Brightness is okay during the day, but it's very bright in the night - even with the brightness turned down to 20.

On a totally different note - I'd swear that the AG coating on the 2713HM is actually less aggressive than the U2412M. There's this amazing clarity to the 2713HM in comparison. I'm sure some of this is because of the increased PPI, but it's almost like I can see more of the AG with the U2412M - take this with a grain of salt as I'm no expert (or even an amateur) at accurately evaluating this.

I have received the monitor, and OMG, it's beautiful. Minimal backlight bleed, no dead pixels.

Manufactured Nov, 2012.

I exchanged my first November 2012 monitor because of 2 stuck pixels and got another one today. This is another November 2012 Mexico build. No stuck pixels that I've been able to notice, but the clouding and backlight bleed is still visible. It's kind of annoying that a monitor in this price range has this issue. My father's U2412M is absolutely perfect. No stuck pixels, backlight bleeding or clouding. After I got my monitor it didn't look that big to me, and the comparison pictures next to the U2412M confirmed that there's not a huge difference. Anyway, here is a picture of the new one. What do you think?

DSC05499.jpg

Very little backlight bleed, I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it bothers you.

You said it. Brightness is okay during the day, but it's very bright in the night - even with the brightness turned down to 20.

Uhhhhhh, why don't you turn it down to 0 then lol? It doesn't affect image quality, it's simple backlight control. Isn't the monitor on it's lowest brightness setting supposed to be 20 candles or something similar? I think that's plenty low.

Uhhhhhh, why don't you turn it down to 0 then lol? It doesn't affect image quality, it's simple backlight control. Isn't the monitor on it's lowest brightness setting supposed to be 20 candles or something similar? I think that's plenty low.

Obviously I tried that. Below 20 or so the image seemed to lose a lot of it's vibrancy. I'll try it again tonight and allow an extended time for my eyes to adapt to the change - maybe it'll be okay then.

I just noticed something on the screen. It's not the dead/stuck pixel, but looks like a grey dust particle on it. I am pretty sure it wasn't there yesterday. It doesn't bother me when I forget about it, but when I am not, it does bother me lol.

Not sure if I should replace it.

I just noticed something on the screen. It's not the dead/stuck pixel, but looks like a grey dust particle on it. I am pretty sure it wasn't there yesterday. It doesn't bother me when I forget about it, but when I am not, it does bother me lol.

Not sure if I should replace it.

dell does cross shipping. paid good money for that screen, if you're not happy with it for whatever reason.. might as well. but you may get an even worse one.

Very little backlight bleed, I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it bothers you.

I think I'll hold onto it for a while and see if it's something I can live with. The picture looks pretty stunning to me, though. If they come out with an A01 revision, I'm going to want another swap.

I received my 3rd attempt today (last two had dead pixels). I am hoping the yellow backlight bleed subsides a bit as it is quite noticeable on sites like HardForum due to the black background. :(

On another note, I encountered that buzzing people have mentioned. Not on wikipedia as someone suggested, but if I take a word document and go to View->Full Screen Reading. It consistently and without fail makes a chirping sound. So odd! :confused: I haven't encountered it on any webpage yet. Can someone else with this monitor try this? My word document is more than 2 pages if it makes a difference (taking up the whole screen with the white document as opposed to half).

I received my 3rd attempt today (last two had dead pixels). I am hoping the yellow backlight bleed subsides a bit as it is quite noticeable on sites like HardForum due to the black background. :(

On another note, I encountered that buzzing people have mentioned. Not on wikipedia as someone suggested, but if I take a word document and go to View->Full Screen Reading. It consistently and without fail makes a chirping sound. So odd! :confused: I haven't encountered it on any webpage yet. Can someone else with this monitor try this? My word document is more than 2 pages if it makes a difference (taking up the whole screen with the white document as opposed to half).

This is weird. I just tried this with a 12pg word document in full screen mode and no any buzzing/noise whatsoever.

Are you saying that your all 3 replacements had a buzzing issue?

So it makes the buzzing noise when it's displaying a full white (or mostly lighter color) screen?

This is weird. I just tried this with a 12pg word document in full screen mode and no any buzzing/noise whatsoever.

Are you saying that your all 3 replacements had a buzzing issue?

I actually hadn't gotten far enough in testing the other 2 out to notice the buzzing. I saw the dead pixels and immediately called for a replacement.

But on this particular one (Rev A00, November 2012) I have this "feature". Why are these so inconsistent?!?!?

So it makes the buzzing noise when it's displaying a full white (or mostly lighter color) screen?

That is what is strange, testing for dead pixels I have used a pure white full screen background without this effect. I have also tried websites in full screen such as wikipedia which are primarily white. I thought I was good to go and that I didn't have the buzzing issue until I brought up a word document in "full screen reading" mode at which point I could hear a high pitch buzzing sound. If I take the document out of "full screen reading" mode it goes away. I can produce this result in an off/on/off/on fashion consistently.

That is what is strange, testing for dead pixels I have used a pure white full screen background without this effect. I have also tried websites in full screen such as wikipedia which are primarily white. I thought I was good to go and that I didn't have the buzzing issue until I brought up a word document in "full screen reading" mode at which point I could hear a high pitch buzzing sound. If I take the document out of "full screen reading" mode it goes away. I can produce this result in an off/on/off/on fashion consistently.

that's strange. i just tried the same thing with word and couldn't detect anything :confused:

So after a defective U2713HM, PB278Q, I got my replacement U2713HM. Crosshatching is still a minor issue, but I've gotten over/used to it. I think the monitor would be perfect without it, though. Pretty happy overall, especially at the price that I got it for (around $500 straight from Dell with the previous deal that has been posted here).

So after a defective U2713HM, PB278Q, I got my replacement U2713HM. Crosshatching is still a minor issue, but I've gotten over/used to it. I think the monitor would be perfect without it, though. Pretty happy overall, especially at the price that I got it for (around $500 straight from Dell with the previous deal that has been posted here).

How does your screen look when black?

How does your screen look when black?

In case it helps, mine definitely has a yellowish tint to it. This has varied quite a bit from the 3 replacements I have gone through. The yellow left hand corner has been common, but the last one I received has a bit of yellow coming from the left hand side about 1/3 of the way up. The additional bleed causes black to look washed out in that portion of the screen. My brightness is set at 35.

Do you think the U2713H would have different characteristics? I would pay more not to have to play this lottery. Unfortunately, due to the gift card deal, I am now stuck with dell.

I am well satisfied with my U2713HM.. I am not nearly as OCD about anything other than overt issues, and this display doesn't seem to have any. yay. lucky me!

Back