Dell U2713HM

I have a Macbook Pro Retina. The text quality on the retina display is incredible. I am considering Dell's 2713MH display. My question is to those of you who have purchased the 2713MH. Is the text real sharp? The retina display has spoiled me and I would not want a severe drop off in text quality. Thanks

I have not used a Retina display, but depending on the physical dimensions of the panel on it and the pixel resolution of the display, it may have a very high DPI which is why you may like the text quality on it. Text displays on screens resort to hinting and other tricks to make it look good, but with a very high DPI display, no tricks are necessary and a normal render will make it look as nice as on a laser printed sheet of paper. Even anti-aliasing is a trick really, which won't be necessary with a sufficiently high DPI where aliasing won't be visible.

This is what xdpyinfo returns on my box for the Dell U2713HM:

Code:
screen #0:
  dimensions:    2560x1440 pixels (602x342 millimeters)
  resolution:    108x107 dots per inch

The text is good looking like on any normal LCD panel, but it is nowhere close to a 600 DPI laser printed page of text.

i bought a wii u and a tv instead. ill have to wait on the monitor.

found a buyer for my u2412m though.

just gonna wait until after i do a few other things first.

Initially spoke to Dell through online chat and was told they refuse to price match...

So instead I called up Dell Small Business and had them pricematch their AU site --

http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/...cs=audhs1&l=en&s=dhs&sku=210-40773&redirect=1

Ordered for $559 USD without any problems (phone call took about 3 minutes)

Only downfall is I received a low stock email stating my delivery has been delayed 3 days.

If they ask where you're seeing this deal and they don't want to go to that exact website, tell them to google u2713hm and it will be one of the first listings.

30% coupon link:
http://ecomm.apj.dell.com/dellstore...dhs1&c=au&campitem_id=271764&marketable=false

Could somebody tell me how this monitor looks at 1080P for programming or any text related work (e.g. typing a document?)

One of the computers I'm using only has an HDMI output, and so I might be limited to 1080P in that situation. Any feedback is appreciated!

Last edited:
Initially spoke to Dell through online chat and was told they refuse to price match...

So instead I called up Dell Small Business and had them pricematch their AU site --

http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/...cs=audhs1&l=en&s=dhs&sku=210-40773&redirect=1

Ordered for $559 USD without any problems (phone call took about 3 minutes)

That's fantastic! According to one of the earlier posts, I thought $600 was their bottom line in the US, so that's what I ended up with. Did you stack the deal with the $75 off $400 gift card purchase? I'm also surprised they didn't convert AUD to USD. $559 is about $580 American dollars. I didn't get an e-mail saying it's on backorder like you did, but I haven't received a confirmation, either. Hopefully, ours won't have the crosshatching and image retention issues.

That's fantastic! According to one of the earlier posts, I thought $600 was their bottom line in the US, so that's what I ended up with. Did you stack the deal with the $75 off $400 gift card purchase? I'm also surprised they didn't convert AUD to USD. $559 is about $580 American dollars. I didn't get an e-mail saying it's on backorder like you did, but I haven't received a confirmation, either. Hopefully, ours won't have the crosshatching and image retention issues.

Actually got the tracking information last night finally, scheduled to be here Monday! I was expecting it to be a much longer wait.

I wasn't able to do the gift card coupon stacking, but I know the lady just matched the 30% off coupon and applied it to the US cost, so I'm assuming that's why no currency conversion took place.

Looks like the coupon is still valid thru today if anyone has been holding out -- might be able to do the gift card purchase bonus too if you set that up prior to calling in.

How did you get them to apply the 30% discount? When I click that link there's no coupon code, just some text saying "Get 30.00% Off - Limited to 2 Units Per Customer (Ends Thurs, November 29) !" and then a Return to Cart button.

Actually got the tracking information last night finally, scheduled to be here Monday! I was expecting it to be a much longer wait.

I wasn't able to do the gift card coupon stacking, but I know the lady just matched the 30% off coupon and applied it to the US cost, so I'm assuming that's why no currency conversion took place.

Looks like the coupon is still valid thru today if anyone has been holding out -- might be able to do the gift card purchase bonus too if you set that up prior to calling in.

Be sure to report back if you have any ghosting or cross-hatch issues. Really want to pick one of these up and I'm hoping the newer models don't have any of these problems.

How did you get them to apply the 30% discount? When I click that link there's no coupon code, just some text saying "Get 30.00% Off - Limited to 2 Units Per Customer (Ends Thurs, November 29) !" and then a Return to Cart button.

Same for me. I can't apply the coupon to anything in my cart. Also, the discount is now gone from the Dell Australia page :(

I wish I had the link to the 30% coupon, but I was still able to get a good deal. ($599 - $75) My monitor arrived today and it's a November build. I have to wait for a longer DVI-D, so I can't use it, yet. It's strange that they didn't give me any tracking info.

I wish I had the link to the 30% coupon, but I was still able to get a good deal. ($599 - $75) My monitor arrived today and it's a November build. I have to wait for a longer DVI-D, so I can't use it, yet. It's strange that they didn't give me any tracking info.

You got it for $524? How? :)

You got it for $524? How? :)

Dell had a promotion where you buy a $400 gift card, and they give you a $75 gift card. I tried to get them to match the Australian sale like azalex86 was able to, but the best I could get was $599. The $75 is applied at the end after tax. My total was $566 shipped after taxes. :) Both promotions have ended, but they'll have it again.

How did you get them to price match from $799 to $599? That's still a pretty solid discount!

How did you get them to price match from $799 to $599? That's still a pretty solid discount!

I called them, but the first person I spoke to was unwilling to budge, so I tried again on another day and was told the same thing ($799 was the price). I did mention to him that someone online had gotten one for $600 (here), so maybe he had to research it. In any event, I had given up hope, when he called me back and gave me the deal I wanted. It depends who you talk to, I guess.

Can someone comment on the practicality of using this monitor in portrait mode? I am considering purchasing 2x of these - one in landscape, the other in portrait mode - but wonder if it is too tall when rotated.

I do a lot of reading, a bit of writing (code, documentations, emails, etc.), and have many remote server sessions open. So alt-tabing between windows to find something is really annoying. I have a 1920x1200 24" on another computer, but it's insufficient to have a browser, editor, and an RDP session open at the same time. It looks like one monitor at 2560x1440 would be only slightly better.Thoughts?

Why not cut out a piece of cardboard and use that as a scale model? That's what I did before ordering one.

Everybody's eye sight height when sitting is different. This way you can answer your own question with certainty.

Thanks for the suggestion, the monitor in portrait mode should be fine for me. Just hope that there's a good deal on it soon. Otherwise, Costco it is...

Joined this forum because of the excellent posts around this monitor. I will acquire this by Sunday and contribute a full analysis. Purchased from US by pricematching Costco from $799 -> 650. Then bought a $500 gift card that comes with a complimentary $75 gift card and used them both on the one purchase. Essentially final price: $575.

If you do this, be sure to have the gift cards ready at the time of purchase so they can process it without waiting for the gift-card activation. Cheers.

@Landmine: I will be testing Far Cry 3 on it. Will let you know framerates etc.

So how exactly did you get Dell in the US to honor a coupon from their Australian site?

I just got off the phone.. wouldn't do $560 :( They offered me $100 off the US price though. Not worth it, IMO. Good luck to everyone else, let me know if you succeed!

So how exactly did you get Dell in the US to honor a coupon from their Australian site?

Just called US Dell Small Business, and told them their Australian site had a 30% coupon. Advised the lady on the phone where to find it (u2371hm in Google will return the AU site at the top) and she obtained mgr approval within a few seconds.

If people are having issues --

Call Small Business order line instead of Personal/Home Office -- I used my name as DBA since it's for freelance graphic design things. You don't need a registered business to go through them.

If the first person you get can't honor it, try calling back.

Followed azalex86's instructions and got it for 559.30 (30% off) +tax today. Lady on the phone asked a few questions about where I saw the price and I answered as briefly as possible (e.g. first link on Google). Took all of 5 minutes.

FYI, the discount in Australia disappeared over the weekend, but it's back now.

I don't really understand Dell's logic in this - why is it so much cheaper in Australia than the US? Of course, Australians usually get shafted with high electronics prices in comparison to people in the USA, so I'm happy for once they've got the discount :)

they're catching on. i've called three times now.. best i could do is 599. but whatever. i feel good enough about saving $200.

they're catching on. i've called three times now.. best i could do is 599. but whatever. i feel good enough about saving $200.

Completely agree. I had actually decided yesterday I was ready to buy at $600 + tax. Just got lucky with the 30% coupon match today.

damn wish i could swoop on this right now. i need to be smart and wait though

559 Australian dollars = 583.1488 US dollars

So really, you are almost getting the deal as is.

Back