Dell U2713 coming soon

Dell always charge a load more than most retailers in the UK. PCBuyit seem to be trying to cash in on an exclusive. When it hits Amazon and the likes then we'll see some proper prices.

LOL. So I'm guessing the UK just seems to get screwed over on electronics?

The U2713 is £144 less than the U2711 on the UK site. That's about a $200 difference in U.S. dollars. The U2711 on the U.S. site is $999, so I'm guessing it'll be $799 for the U2713 and go on sale for ~$700. Eww.

The U2711 is $700 now in the U.S. on Newegg, and a few days ago there was a 10% coupon that brought it down to $630. I'lll wait to see what the official price is, but it looks like I might have to go a different route than with Dell.

Eh, that's not Dell's site, so I don't give much weight to the price they have.
I refer you back to my earlier comments on the retailer: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039018561&postcount=146

I've no doubt the best EU prices will be 10%-20% lower than PCBuyIT. Dell direct are rarely the cheapest this side of the pond, and the vouchers offered in the small business sales area are never as good as the vouchers Dell USA offer.

The U2713 is on the uk site now at £610.80.
Probably not as much as I expected, hopefully that means there is still plenty of scope for the pile 'em high sell 'em cheap type sellers to get more competitive deals. HP's ZR2740W & the U2711 are both available for less than £450. The cheapies (Hazro & Digimate) are £380, and the Korean imports are sometimes even less.

UK just seems to get screwed over on electronics?
Usually. Sometimes computer components aren't too bad, but Dell monitors in the past have been grossly over priced vs USA.

Looks like 27" is going to become the standard for high(er) end gaming in the near future. I wonder what that'll do to the 30" 2560x1600 resolution. And what about 4k x 2k?

Question is, would a GW2 and TF/ CS player notice 22ms input lag? Coming from a Nec 20WGX2, I mean, I would guess this already has 10-30ms of input lag?

But I think the U2713 will be my next screen anyway :)

Question is, would a GW2 and TF/ CS player notice 22ms input lag? Coming from a Nec 20WGX2, I mean, I would guess this already has 10-30ms of input lag?

But I think the U2713 will be my next screen anyway :)

Your NEC doesn't have any input lag, all of input lag measurements from the 20WGX2's era are wrong. The U2713 has 15ms of input lag when measured with an oscilloscope. It will feel a tincy bit slower if you are sensitive to input lag.

Your NEC doesn't have any input lag, all of input lag measurements from the 20WGX2's era are wrong. The U2713 has 15ms of input lag when measured with an oscilloscope. It will feel a tincy bit slower if you are sensitive to input lag.

I don't think I will notice it at all actually. Realistically my choice of screens boil down to U2412M, S27A850/ B970 and the U2713. My GF's U2211 just got replaced with a U2212HM and that has a lot less aggressive anti-glare than her U2211 had, so I think I would be happy with that found on the U2412, assuming it was the same as its 22" counterpart :)

Seriously considering this screen to upgrade my U2412 when it's more readily available in Canada.

I've grown to love the look and feel of the 2412, but the lack of I/O ports (specifically HDMI in and Audio out) just kills me. Also I purchased a new desk which puts me almost 3ft away from the screen so the 27" might be a better fit.

Seriously considering this screen to upgrade my U2412 when it's more readily available in Canada.

I've grown to love the look and feel of the 2412, but the lack of I/O ports (specifically HDMI in and Audio out) just kills me. Also I purchased a new desk which puts me almost 3ft away from the screen so the 27" might be a better fit.

Hope you have good eyesight. Text is going to be pretty small at that distance.

Hope you have good eyesight. Text is going to be pretty small at that distance.

I usually view from 2 - 2.5 feet away from display and I can clearly read this message while keeping IE 100% zoom. I can even read welcome message on top while staying 2.5 - 3 feet away

Wow this thing weighs almost exactly the same as my 24"--it's 12.35 lbs. vs. 12.2 lbs. so only a tiny bit more. Good to know that my existing LCD mount arm would work with it.

sRGB gamut, light AG coating, power efficient--it's got a lot going for it. Now if we can just find out the price in the U.S. we'd be good.

I usually view from 2 - 2.5 feet away from display and I can clearly read this message while keeping IE 100% zoom. I can even read welcome message on top while staying 2.5 - 3 feet away

I am with MentatYP on this one, and being able to read something, is a far cry from comfortable for long periods.

I also sit about 3 feet away from my monitor, and while that is in my comfort zone with my 24", when I had a Dell 3007-HC for a week I constantly found it tiring to read small text from the smaller pitch, and found myself leaning in closer a lot. That pitch is larger than one the 27" screens. I have better than 20:20 vision. It wasn't blurry, it was just small.

But I think most people sit closer than 3feet so less of an issue for them.

I am with MentatYP on this one, and being able to read something, is a far cry from comfortable for long periods.

I also sit about 3 feet away from my monitor, and while that is in my comfort zone with my 24", when I had a Dell 3007-HC for a week I constantly found it tiring to read small text from the smaller pitch, and found myself leaning in closer a lot. That pitch is larger than one the 27" screens. I have better than 20:20 vision. It wasn't blurry, it was just small.

But I think most people sit closer than 3feet so less of an issue for them.

I keep toying with the idea of a 27" since they're relatively cheap for the high res you get, but yeah--realistically the resulting text would be too small for me for all day use. I'm usually at about 2 feet away from my monitors. I'd probably just about get away with a 30" 2560x1600 though since it's almost exactly the same pixel pitch as my 20.1" 1600x1200. Now if only those would drop under $1K :rolleyes:

800$ ? ?

hopefully dell has a sale. i'd like to see it hit 700 or so before i swoop and sell my u2412m

EDIT:

I bought the u2412m in December of 2011.. and it has been awesome. I love it and i will never use anything but IPS monitors and ill probably stick with dell tbh just because i love the monitor so damn much. the AG coating doesnt bother me.. but it sounds like they are perfecting it, by preventing the glare and sacrificing less and less sharpness every couple years with these new models.

anyways. already got somebody lined up to buy my u2412m for 200$. I'll probably pick one of these up. In the u2412m thread you can see a lot of people called and haggled the sales reps down to a good price some getting the monitor for as low as 289$ which at the time the msrp was 400$. so i will probably be calling and hagglin myself

Last edited:

Sounds nice. That testing shows it has no PWM. This seems to confim (assuming it uses the same technology for brightness) that I found with a May 2012 made U2312HM - I found no PWM in my testing even at 0% brightness.

Per article:

"Interestingly the Dell U2713HM appears to not use PWM at all for dimming of the backlight. Even at 0% brightness there was no sign of the usual splitting of the white line that you'd expect to see in these tests. We carried out the checks at an even slower shutter speed which returned the same result. This is great news for those who are affected by flickering backlights and suffer from eye fatigue and eye strain."

Back