Dell U2711

That's how I understand it anyway. Even if you buy secondhand, the warranty becomes yours because the service tag IS the warranty.
I just didn't want to get an open box or something like that, that is why the Ebay sellers that go straight through Dell appealed to me. Exact same experience, much lower price.

DP cable appears to be approx 5' to 7'.

So I've now had this monitor for exactly a week and a day. I'm very impressed, no issues to speak of other than when I wake up the computer after a long day at work or in the mornings I find my browser window resized and not where I originally left it when I turned the monitor off before leaving the computer.

Seems to only happen if the display has been off for a while.

I also hear the windows hardware connect sound play whenever I turn the monitor on or off. It is connected via DisplayPort. I'm a bit of a newb with DP so far, I've been using DVI for an extremely long time.

No biggie really but any tips or tricks to keep my browser windows from resizing after the display has been off for a few hours? :D

DP cable appears to be approx 5' to 7'.

So I've now had this monitor for exactly a week and a day. I'm very impressed, no issues to speak of other than when I wake up the computer after a long day at work or in the mornings I find my browser window resized and not where I originally left it when I turned the monitor off before leaving the computer.

Seems to only happen if the display has been off for a while.

I also hear the windows hardware connect sound play whenever I turn the monitor on or off. It is connected via DisplayPort. I'm a bit of a newb with DP so far, I've been using DVI for an extremely long time.

No biggie really but any tips or tricks to keep my browser windows from resizing after the display has been off for a few hours? :D

The same thing happens with the nec 23 inch monitor with displayport. It's annoying, I think it just might be a trait of the displayport connection, at least for now. But if anyone has any suggestions to keep it connected, let us know.

At least it's only resized because your comp gets the new resolution right... mine sticks at 800x600 or something when I bring it back. I just leave it in standby all the time now.

anyone knows what would happen if I connect my PC to this monitor and my 1080p TV, and clone the display? would it output only 1920x1080 on both the monitor and the TV?

If anyone finds a reseller that is willing/able to sell the U2711 with completecare warranty
and not just the regular warranty, let me know?

If anyone finds a reseller that is willing/able to sell the U2711 with completecare warranty
and not just the regular warranty, let me know?

IIRC, CompleteCare isn't offered on monitors though it is for Dell's LCD TV's.

The problem is unless you sit unusually close or have super vision, it is likely that you will have to turn up the DPI in windows, largely defeating the resolution advantage.

I have sharp vision and at work people look at my screen and say "Can you read that?" because I use high res and small fonts.

But on a Dell 3007 I found the pitch a little tight, if I wasn't using XP I would have turned up DPI a bit. This monitor has even tighter pitch.

Here I have a 2007WFP and Semsunga T220, and I sit 70cm away from them. I used to use glasses for myopia, and I've made surgery to take it down. Before these monitors I used 2 Samsung CRT 997MB @ 1600x1200 and 795MB @ 1280x960.

I clearly see letters in standard DPI in 2007WFP. In the past when I moved a window from 1 monitor to another I noticed the size difference, today all I notice is the increadible color and sharpness difference among them. Now I tested reducing DPI to 82 and I barely can see letters in 2007WFP, "i" is almost invisible, bit still I can read them without going closer.

Usually I use FireFox in T220, and in some sites I increase zoom a bit to read them, it's a bit uncomfortable to read and I do it as an inconditional reflex when needed. But I don't bother so much because normally paragraphs end before the line is finished, so I don't lose much space at all. Sites with fixed width get some wasted space in their sides, and on those sites I also increase zoom to use that space, it's incredible how webdesigners seem all to use 14" CRT monitors @ 800x600!!

I also like to lay on bed to read, and in this case I do a huge increase in zoom and use my mouse to scroll down.

I believe it will happen a bit more often with U2711, but I doubt I'll be concerned with it.

I would either get a 24" U2410 for much less money or I would get a 30" with more resolution and slightly larger pitch to make use of it.

I wonder if Dell will be coming out with a U3011?

I'm also thinking between U2711 and 3008WFP, but their difference in price and U2711's apparent better image quality take 3008WFP out.

IMHO, what LG did was take its "new" H-IPS technology and bring it to 2560 pixels, but to make it a bit less expensive they used 1440 pixels, decreased pixels size and made a panel just a bit bigger than their 24". Doing so we have a panel almost twice the price of 24" and with 2560x1440, but still way cheaper than its old 30".

Maybe in the near future we'll have a LG H-IPS 2560x1600 30" panel, but if they develop it, it will be way more expensive than 3008WFP's panel, since their specs are equal and have better quality.

My bet it that they'll way 1 or 2 years for it, since they already have a few new releases ATM and may be more interested to produce them to more companies than to bring more news to Apple and Dell.

And I hope that, 2 years after its 30" H-IPS panel is released, they develop a 32"-35" version of it, since 30" is still small to 2560x1600 and we need something really new on this marcket.

At that time we should be already definetily on LED and 120Hz monitors, and then we hopefully can start getting OLED panels :)

I also got disappointed when I saw U2711's size compared to U2410 and 3008WFP, but we can't directly compare monitors with different aspect ratio based on their diagonal. 16:10 is much better and more productive to me, I use height more than width, but unfortunately we'll have to live with it.

The sad thing is that, with a lower height, U2711 would be perfect to be used in portail, it SHOULD have pivot. Anybody knows if there's any kind of base/support that can be bought and used on it to use it in vertical? 3008WFP also doesn't support it and it's a bit old, maybe some company comercialized a custom base for it and we can use in U2711.

The sad thing is that, with a lower height, U2711 would be perfect to be used in portail, it SHOULD have pivot. Anybody knows if there's any kind of base/support that can be bought and used on it to use it in vertical? 3008WFP also doesn't support it and it's a bit old, maybe some company comercialized a custom base for it and we can use in U2711.

With the Ergotron MX Desk Mount LCD Arm, you can pivot the monitor into portrait mode.
I am actually looking at the LX Dual Side-by-Side Arm model for dual U2711's:p

Ergotron MX Desk Mount LCD Arm
http://www.ergotron.com/Products/tabid/65/PRDID/56/language/en-US/default.aspx

Ergotron LX Dual Side-by-Side Arm
http://www.ergotron.com/Products/tabid/65/PRDID/354/language/en-US/default.aspx

Thanks Livestrong7, I'm gonna look for a store that I can import it from.

Ops, too expensive to me! Isn't there anything cheaper? :(

I just got my u2711. I'm seeing a green to reddish tint from right to left. The whites are definitely different from side to side. Its pretty easy to see but I circled two areas where you can see the different tints. Anyone else have this problem?

u2711tint.jpg

Where is this test available? I'd like to test it too.

Another thing was that it didn't always look clear to me. At the time, I didn't even know about the AG coating. I thought the panel had poor viewing angles but didn't understand because it should have the best viewing angles as it is an IPS panel. The best description for this AG coating effect that people use is "sparkle". It's like glitter sand thrown into the screen. Your eyes are always trying to focus. And I think the effect is made worse if you wear glasses.

I also think the U2410 has some of the most aggresive AG coatings. I looked at the equivalent 24" HP IPS monitor and it seemed much better. But it was also very noticeable. For this reason, I'm not going to buy an IPS monitor until they reduce the AG coating effect. I'll stick with my SPVA and CPVA screens.

BTW. The Samsung F2380 has an extremely smooth look. One professional review stated the AG coating is minimal on this model.

I have always had lighting under control and went from a 20wmgx2 to a 3007wfp-hc and was really disheartened with the AG....finally just had to pull the trigger on the 27" iMac after seeing it in person and I don't regret it for a second. There really needs to be some middle ground between these two options.

Sorry I'm not able to understand what you guys are talking about. Is it some kind of product that's passed over the screen so that it doesn't reflect light, and as a side effect text gets harder to view?

So, U2711 is better when we can't control enviromental light, and iMac is better when we control it? That's sad, because I keep curtains closed during day to control sunlight in my room.

I have the U2711 sitting right next to the 2209WA. Is it normal for the U2711 screen to look "wet" (for lack of a better term to describe what I'm seeing)? The 2209 produces a cleaner looking picture, and I'm wondering -- given the many complaints in this thread about one thing or another -- if I have a defective unit.

I have the U2711 sitting right next to the 2209WA. Is it normal for the U2711 screen to look "wet" (for lack of a better term to describe what I'm seeing)? The 2209 produces a cleaner looking picture, and I'm wondering -- given the many complaints in this thread about one thing or another -- if I have a defective unit.

Do you mean the AG coating?
Yeah that's pretty normal.

What does Dell do about the dead pixel monitors it receives back? Do they just put them back on the shelf and ship them off to another customer or does it go back to manufacturing to be repaired?

I better not get a single dead/stuck pixel on my u2711, paying enough for this quality that's for sure.

In Brasil what they do is send them to ppl that asks for RMA. When your new monitor has any problem and you ask a replacement, they send you these refurbs. Some refurbs can be fixed (in exemple if it's some piece broken and can be replaced) and are as if they were new, others come with some kind of problem like dead pixel (they trying to send these wastes to somebody hoping it to be accepted).

Then we start the "dance", asking to replace until you get a perfect one... or accept one with a "small" issue they pushed on you, tired of changing it over and over and fearing receiving one that's even worse.

If they just used a finer, less grainy coating for AG - LG would have the market sewn up.

All it'd take is to get someone like 3M who know what they're doing to formulate a decent anti-glare coating for them, I am really suprised why LG allow this to continue.. AG coatings do not need to look that way.

But isn't Apple's version better? I believe it's Dell who makes the coating... or they tell LG how to do it.

anyone knows what would happen if I connect my PC to this monitor and my 1080p TV, and clone the display? would it output only 1920x1080 on both the monitor and the TV?

For cloning, you are forced to use the same resolution in both monitors. If the primary one is U2711, your TV won't show extra pixels. If the TV is pripary, U2711 will be used in 1080p. It's look similar to those pics comparing it to 2707:

http://randyd.zenfolio.com/img/v8/p269482633.jpg
http://randyd.zenfolio.com/img/v11/p227314759.jpg

For you, it's better to use independant desktops handled by Windows + GPU driver (DualView for nVidia). Then you set as primary display the monitor you use for gaming and video and leave the other as second. In nVidia drivers, at least a few years ago when I tried, 3D gets very ugly and slow on second display, it must always be used in primary.

BTW, looking on nVidia Control Panel now, I noticed a feature I never saw before. "Change flat panel scaling", with options "Use nVidia scaling", "Use nVidia scaling with fixed-aspect ratio", "use my display's built-in scaling", and "Do not scale". It also has "Native resolution" and "Current resolution".

Ppl that tested U2711 @ 1280x720 and noticed those problems, or anybody with the monitor and a GeForce, could please test 1280x720 using nVidia scaling, to see if it works better than U2711 scaling?

Last edited:
My first u2711 had green tint i right upper corner. The replacement, second u2711 had warm yellow tint in the middle of the display. I returned and got my money back.

My friend also bought u2711 and his had the even worse yellow tint in the middle of the screen.

Just bought mine, it will arrive in 5 weeks :D

I paid R$2719 with 5 years warranty and CompleteCare. It's US$1550, taking out government thievery it's US$970 I think. :D

Dell BR is really great for monitor, we get less problems (RMA) than US, and considering there's still freight, they sell it the same price offered to USA customers, with very little profit!

The seller also said that if I user RMA, they'll send a new unit to me. Dell BR doesn't work with refurbished because they don't fix monitors. Refurbs are sold to employees!

Now waiting :rolleyes:

BTW, looking on nVidia Control Panel now, I noticed a feature I never saw before. "Change flat panel scaling", with options "Use nVidia scaling", "Use nVidia scaling with fixed-aspect ratio", "use my display's built-in scaling", and "Do not scale". It also has "Native resolution" and "Current resolution".

Ppl that tested U2711 @ 1280x720 and noticed those problems, or anybody with the monitor and a GeForce, could please test 1280x720 using nVidia scaling, to see if it works better than U2711 scaling?
I forgot all about this back when we were doing the testing.
Anything is possible with software scaling... they could quad-pixel it, or do weak/strong interpolation... options to adjust these settings yourself!

But if it's anything like everything else,
the limitless possibilities of software will be ruined, and I will be let down by lazy developers.

How is the AG coating and sparky effect on this monitor vs the 3007 and 3008?

Any one makes a 30" screen without AG coating and sparky effect?

Has anyone tried the PnP (Picture in Picture)?

I'm using that to show my PS3 and computer screen. But their format isn't 16:9, more of like 4:3 for both.
I can't find any settings to change in the menu.

Any ideas to force that ratio?

I didn't even know it had PIP, lol

seems to be more like picture by picture, useful but not something I would want to have on most of the time

I don't think you can really adjust the size of each windows, which is too bad because they don't take up nearly the whole screen.

Last edited:
It looks like the U2711 has been pulled off of Dell's US web site.
Does anyone know why? Is it in shortage or did they find some defect?

It looks like the U2711 has been pulled off of Dell's US web site.
Does anyone know why? Is it in shortage or did they find some defect?

I noticed this as well. Hopefully they are fixing issues. I want to buy one but it doesn't seem like it's in a good production spot.

It would have been pulled on all Dell sites simultaneously if there was indeed a manufacturing defect to warrant such action. No idea what Dell US is up to.

Maybe it was cutting into their sells of their 3008 given that U2711 is a better monitor.:D

Is there any compatible soundbar that actually uses the power connector on the back of this monitor instead of a seperate ac adapter like the AY511?

Just got mine, the native res text is extremely small / blurry. I don't think it's the coating the only way to make it manageable is by using 200+ dpi. Definitely not digging it so far.

EDIT: I'm a tard, I was using my u2410 cable that isn't dual link dvi, I switched to the one that came with the u2711 and all the issues are gone. This thing is amazing and gaming on it ROCKS

Last edited:
Just got mine, the native res text is extremely small / blurry. I don't think it's the coating the only way to make it manageable is by using 200+ dpi. Definitely not digging it so far.

EDIT: I'm a tard, I was using my u2410 cable that isn't dual link dvi, I switched to the one that came with the u2711 and all the issues are gone. This thing is amazing and gaming on it ROCKS

Hah, go fig.

Glad you like it. if only i could muster the money to get 3 :(

so I have read a lot of good reviews on this monitor and a lot of bad things about the AG coating on it.

I am coming from a 24" Samsung 16X10 TN panel, so even with heavy AG coating will this monitor look better than my current one? I am talking about color vividness, clarity, I know the angles will be much better.

my other choice is waiting for the new Apple Cinema 27" in June but that will probably be around $1200-$1400, and I can get the Dell from a friend for $800 delivered with warranty (he works for a company similar to CDW).

I dont know how aggressive the AG is on U2711 but you might want to check in person first, I bought a Panasonic plasma couple years ago which had heavy AG coating and I ended up taking it back because of it (drove me nuts, made the screen have a "dirty" effect, especially when a lot of solid color was present).

Apparently Panasonic listened to everyone's complaints because they haven't used that type of AG ever since.

Last edited:
just bought it and everything's ok. My only concern is how to connect it with my macbook pro 13.3 (late 2009) in order to have the full resolution. I have 2 adapters, hdmi to mini display port and dvi to mini display port. The hdmi one, recognize the monitor as a tv and don't give me good resolutions. The maximum resolution I get from dvi adapter is 1920x1200.

Is there any other trick I could use or even better, a minidisplay to display port cable ?

just bought it and everything's ok. My only concern is how to connect it with my macbook pro 13.3 (late 2009) in order to have the full resolution. I have 2 adapters, hdmi to mini display port and dvi to mini display port. The hdmi one, recognize the monitor as a tv and don't give me good resolutions. The maximum resolution I get from dvi adapter is 1920x1200.

Is there any other trick I could use or even better, a minidisplay to display port cable ?

HDMI Processor in the monitor doesn't support the full resolution of the monitor; sucks but it is what it is. Use a mini-displayport to displayport cable.

Back