Dell U2711

Haha that Viewsonic drawfs it!

Which I think is great, where I plan to put the monitor could not fit a 30" monitor which had the highest resolution. Seeing the 27" being smaller than the 28", I know the 27" will replace my 24" with no problems.

You can really see the difference between the 16:9 Dell and the 16:10 Viewsonic in that pic!

.__480_360_CIMG0168.JPG

sick resolution :) is anyone at [H]ardForum going to do a formal review?
Are you guys all ordering at the $1100 pricepoint?

Through my dell reseller who has an account Rep. at Dell, I was able to get U2711, 5 yr warranty and an AY511 Sound bar for $929 total, without Tax. Expected Fedex Delivery 2/09.

HEY everyone. Is the price of the 2709w gonna DROP after major release of the U2711 worldwide? What do you think.

I'm curious, is there any advantage to using the Displayport vs. DVI inputs in picture quality? I'm pretty sure they are exactly the same.

The displayport is exactly the same quality wise, just that the cord is thinner/more flexible so easier to route.

Interested in finding out what the AG coating like on this.. specifically in comparison with the 3007wfp-hc

The FlatpanelsHD U2711 review is online now with calibration reports and U2410 comparison.

Link: Dell U2711 review - FlatpanelsHD

I continue to be reminded how small this monitor is. Look at the shot next to the U2410. It is only a little bigger, and IMO, should only cost a little more.

Most people will likely have to change the DPI setting in windows in order to see things without eye strain, negating most of the benefit of the higher resolution (unless you sit REALLY close).

I continue to be reminded how small this monitor is. Look at the shot next to the U2410. It is only a little bigger, and IMO, should only cost a little more.

Most people will likely have to change the DPI setting in windows in order to see things without eye strain, negating most of the benefit of the higher resolution (unless you sit REALLY close).

Your right. I think now I'll wait for the new NEC 30" 16x10 model.

Your right. I think now I'll wait for the new NEC 30" 16x10 model.

I think I may cancel my order with my 2 from Dell. They are horribly tiny compared to a 30" 16x10 screen... The price difference between that and a 24" 16x10 which is close in size is almost laughable...

Actually it isn't. The pixel pitch is much smaller (too small for a monitor this size IMO) than on a 30" panel, so it isn't as wide, it about 2" narrower than 30".

Ignoring the pixel count for a moment. It is more like 24" 16:10 with more width.

16:10 is a more productive ratio. 16:9 is more of an entertainment ratio. Other than in a TV I would always prefer 16:10.

Huh, what do you know--you're right. I should've done the math first before assuming, so I went to the always helpful tvcalculator.com to check out the numbers. While you're absolutely right that the 30" is wider, the pixel pitch isn't really that much different. It's 10126 pixels / sq. in. for the 30" vs. 11845 pixels / sq. in., so you really wouldn't have to sit much closer to get the same effective pixel size. It'll probably bite me in the rear again, but since I'm too lazy to do the math I'm estimating that once you consider the slightly closer viewing distance required to make the 27"'s pixels the same size as the 30", you'll have about the same effective horizontal viewing angle on both from edge to edge.

I sit about 1.5' - 2.5' away from my 26" 1920x1200 (7582 pixels / sq. in.!) right now depending on if I'm leaning forward, sitting upright or leaning back. As attractive as the higher res is, I'm not sure that I'd be able to maintain a comfortable viewing distance for coding. Then again I have my programming IDE font size down to 8 pts to fit in more, so maybe I could still get away with sitting at the same distance and keeping the font size at a standard 10 pts while also getting more on the screen at the same time. Definitely need to get off my rear and do the math for this since there's nobody and nowhere around that I can try out the 27" or 30" to see in person.

Somebody needs to make an lcdcalculator.com site that also take as input font size :)

I think I may cancel my order with my 2 from Dell. They are horribly tiny compared to a 30" 16x10 screen... The price difference between that and a 24" 16x10 which is close in size is almost laughable...

This 27" is never going to be about absolute size. The real draw is the high resolution. If you don't need the 2560x1440 then yeah best to save a bunch of money and get a 24" 16:10 instead. Or if you just want size, your best bang-for-the-buck will be an LCD TV. You can get a 40" 1080p now for, what, $700-$800? Can't beat that price-per-inch.

Id say its already dropped quite a bit, you can get one on ebay for about 640 shipped after bing cashback

It's been that price for a long time on Ebay (~$729 before cashback). Ebay prices have no correlation to Dell's MSRP. I got my 2709W last year with the 25% Bing cashback for less than $600 and even then the Dell price was >$900. I think what we're all waiting for is for Dell to permanently drop the price which will make the Ebay 2709's go down even more and become that much more enticing.

I know if the price drops some more and there's a decent enough CB, I'll go 2709W eyefinity :D

This 27" is never going to be about absolute size. The real draw is the high resolution. If you don't need the 2560x1440 then yeah best to save a bunch of money and get a 24" 16:10 instead. Or if you just want size, your best bang-for-the-buck will be an LCD TV. You can get a 40" 1080p now for, what, $700-$800? Can't beat that price-per-inch.

What im looking for though is a 16x9 monitor with a resolution higher than 1080p... This seems to be the only one that can higher than 1920x1080 without going 30". Considering I just got a 3008wfp, I might return these and get 2 more 3008wfps...

Last edited:

Correct. Also the size of the monitor, I can't purchase a 30" due to its size so this was the perfect solution. I probably will not have any complaints with the size of the monitor or resolution of the screen.

Correct. Also the size of the monitor, I can't purchase a 30" due to its size so this was the perfect solution. I probably will not have any complaints with the size of the monitor or resolution of the screen.

Well, it may be too late, Dell say's my order is shipped :-p (even though no tracking number yet) I'm still excited, except for the fact that that last review said the gaming quality on these wasn't so great, but I will be the judge of that.

What im looking for though is a 16x9 monitor with a resolution higher than 1080p... This seems to be the only one that can higher than 1920x1080 without going 30". Considering I just got a 2008wfp, I might return these and get 2 more 2008wfps...

Might be waiting a while for that then. AFAIK this 27" 16:9 is the only one with higher than 1080p. Most 24" and above in 16:10 do 1920x1200, but that's not what you're looking for. Can't say that I'm crazy about the 16:9 trend since it usually means less resolution than a comparable 16:10 (this 27" excepted, of course), but I hope you have more options soon.

You're considering going to 2 x 2008wfp instead? But those are 16:10 and much lower resolution (1680x1050). Are you sure you need both 16:9 and higher than 1080p? Sounds to me like you're happy without either. Maybe you could look into something in the 24"-27" range with 1920x1200?

Might be waiting a while for that then. AFAIK this 27" 16:9 is the only one with higher than 1080p. Most 24" and above in 16:10 do 1920x1200, but that's not what you're looking for. Can't say that I'm crazy about the 16:9 trend since it usually means less resolution than a comparable 16:10 (this 27" excepted, of course), but I hope you have more options soon.

You're considering going to 2 x 2008wfp instead? But those are 16:10 and much lower resolution (1680x1050). Are you sure you need both 16:9 and higher than 1080p? Sounds to me like you're happy without either. Maybe you could look into something in the 24"-27" range with 1920x1200?

Whoops, I totally mean to say I got a 3008wfp...

I find the u2711 better for gaming than my Viewsonic 28" (which supposedly has a 3ms response time). On the Viewsonic I would see white ghosting (due to overdrive) all over the place. On the u2711 I don't know see anywhere near as much ghosting.

A part of me would rather the 3008. However, I love the color and number of inputs. I was a little put off about how small the monitor was but so far I am happy with the monitor.

Also, the 30" monitors tend to have severe blacklight bleed, this monitor has none. The speckle effect is a lot lighter too compared to the 3007 I have at work.

Huh, what do you know--you're right. I should've done the math first before assuming, so I went to the always helpful tvcalculator.com to check out the numbers. While you're absolutely right that the 30" is wider, the pixel pitch isn't really that much different.

I sit about 1.5' - 2.5' away from my 26" 1920x1200 (7582 pixels / sq. in.!) right now depending on if I'm leaning forward, sitting upright or leaning back. As attractive as the higher res is, I'm not sure that I'd be able to maintain a comfortable viewing distance for coding.

It doesn't sound like much difference on paper, but I tried a Dell 3007 and I found that pitch quite small, and I have XP so the DPI setting doesn't work that great.

I find my 24" loads better. We are talking about .27mm vs .25mm here, going down to .23mm, pointless for me.

If anything I would like that resolution on a 32" panel. I think .27 pitch is perfect for me in a desktop monitor.

Last edited:
I just called and cancelled my order for two of them and ordered 3 u2410s instead. I saved $700 in the process as well.

Still undecided about this monitor, need more reviews. I hope the new NEC and HP displays are something to shout about... or maybe I'll be buying myself an EIZO ColorEdge CG243 afterall.
Being in Europe, the price difference between an EIZO and a NEC ain't even that much.

LG, please! Give us non-grainy AG coatings, 16:10 aspects and bring back the A-TW polarizers!

LG, please! Give us non-grainy AG coatings, 16:10 aspects and bring back the A-TW polarizers!

The coating on the 2209wa was great, much better than my Samsung 245bw. Not sure if the coating on the U2410 is worse though.

Also this monitor is a billion times better than the 30 inchers because the black level is way better and no backlight bleed. You would have to be a fool to order the 30inch over this.

Last edited:
Quick question on ghosting, i currently have dell 2407 which i use to play all my games. Does this monitor have worse ghosting issue's then the 2407? cause i cant even tell on that one.

I find the u2711 better for gaming than my Viewsonic 28" (which supposedly has a 3ms response time). On the Viewsonic I would see white ghosting (due to overdrive) all over the place. On the u2711 I don't know see anywhere near as much ghosting.

Hey Ulrick28,

i loved your wallpaper. Where did you download it? :cool:

Best wishes

It's actually an animating wallpaper for deskscapes. I had it frozen at the time for taking pictures.

I have two U2410 Dell's Rev a01.

Price isn't a concern.

Should I buy a 3rd U2410 or should I buy the new U2711 and make that middle monitor ?

24x24x24 or 24x27x24 ...

I want to be able to use eyefinity to game on all 3 at once, but I would guess 80% of the time I will be using each monitor for different things, 1 a TV, 1 to browse the web and 1 to play games on.

I am worried that 24x27x24 might look funny in a game.

If I did add the 27 I would just run at 1920x1200 for eyefinity to run on all 3 together.

DzNuts, buy a third U2410 for the sake of symmetry. Even if price wasn't a concern, that money is better spent on something else like a better video card, etc.

Last edited:
@Ulrick28: Can you provide me with a hyperlink where I can purchase / download it?
I found the website http://www.stardock.com but i didn't find your animated wallpaper there.

General question: How can i find out the differences of the revisions of Dell 3008WFP and how can I find out which Revision (A1-A3) it actually has?

Best wishes

Back