Dell U2711

I wonder if it can do sRGB in game mode... looks doubtful cause it'll require the LUT which gets disabled in it...

The new A01 firmware on the U2410 actually fixes the sRGB mode according to some users on this forum plus some screenshots, plus the CNET 'review' said that the 2711 had a non-broken sRGB mode. This at least means there's some hope that the 2711 has a usable sRGB mode.

The new A01 firmware on the U2410 actually fixes the sRGB mode according to some users on this forum plus some screenshots, plus the CNET 'review' said that the 2711 had a non-broken sRGB mode. This at least means there's some hope that the 2711 has a usable sRGB mode.

I wouldnt bank on it though. I wouldnt consider this monitor if I had to work in srgb all day. a little risky... but i love the 27" screen size though:mad:

is there a way to download the A01 firmware? My u2410 could use a better color scope. loooks like crap when used as a secondary monitor with my mbp

is there a way to download the A01 firmware? My u2410 could use a better color scope. loooks like crap when used as a secondary monitor with my mbp

The only fix in the A01 firmware for the u2410 is for the dithering in sRGB and adobeRGB modes.

The links are in the thread for the u2410 to download the firmware.

Please release these today, I need 2 of them ASAP!

Not likely; Apple is having problems with Yellow tinted screens amongst other things: http://www.dailytech.com/Apple+Delays+27Inch+iMac+Shipments/article17477.htm

LG just cannot seem to get quality under control at all. With the exception of the Dell 2209WA, some of which had issues too. Of course Samsung has done absolutely nothing about input lag in their S-PVA panals either.

So here we sit waiting for something that is actually worth buying.

Dave

Not likely; Apple is having problems with Yellow tinted screens amongst other things: http://www.dailytech.com/Apple+Delays+27Inch+iMac+Shipments/article17477.htm

LG just cannot seem to get quality under control at all. With the exception of the Dell 2209WA, some of which had issues too. Of course Samsung has done absolutely nothing about input lag in their S-PVA panals either.

So here we sit waiting for something that is actually worth buying.

Dave
maybe the HP ZR24W that are about to be released are good enough. I'm looking at that too. :D they say its SRGB and none of this wide gamut nonsense....

maybe the HP ZR24W that are about to be released are good enough. I'm looking at that too. :D they say its SRGB and none of this wide gamut nonsense....

I am interested in the HP ZR24W. I wonder if LG will have a less aggressive coating yet.

It almost seems that LG is doing zero feedback of defects into their design process to fix the issues with their IPS panels. Practically every line of LG IPS monitors has been plagued with:

A) Harsh AG coatings.
B) Panel uniformity
C) screen tinting

A) should be trivial, just use a different coating, this has nothing to do with the IPS technology.

Uniformity and tint changes across the screen, should be fixable after a few years if they actually are working on it.

It almost seems that LG is doing zero feedback of defects into their design process to fix the issues with their IPS panels. Practically every line of LG IPS monitors has been plagued with:

A) Harsh AG coatings.
B) Panel uniformity
C) screen tinting

A) should be trivial, just use a different coating, this has nothing to do with the IPS technology.

Uniformity and tint changes across the screen, should be fixable after a few years if they actually are working on it.
Well, most of LG's business is TV's which have different requirements to computer screens (Consumers are rarely looking at plain backgrounds on a TV for long, and that's where you'll spot most uniformity problems), so I wouldn't get my hopes up on it being a big priority for them. LG can also offer (for a price) panels without significant uniformity issues, as they'll cherry pick the best ones for those willing to pay enough.

However the most viable option (until either LCD manufacturing processes improve or a new technology emerges for computer desktop screens) is to place corrective controls within the monitor, such as NEC does with its Colorcomp feature. Whilst that still means some panels will be better than others (because they won't need to use Colorcomp as they are uniform without its help) it does at least mean there's a way to correct the duds if you do lose in LG's panel lottery.

As far as gradation tint is concerned, I think part of the reason it's been so obvious on some of the current LG panels is due to the very wide gamut of some screens. So it'll be interesting to see whether it's any harder to spot on a screen with a more limited gamut like the HP ZR24W.

I don't know; The Dell 2209WA is standard gamut and some of them had tinting issues too. It seems like it was a smaller percentage. Not much help for those that ended up with them. Mostely in europe I think.

We are not talking about TVs here; many computer screens have had the tint issue. Most notable the Dell U2410. Now we are hearing that the 27 in iMac has issues with yellow tint, (at least it is a different color).

Dave

A grand, not bad. I'm very curious to see how NEC's version measures up in terms of quality and price.

Just as a reference point, I play WoW, TF2, L4D2, Dragn Age and more on a 2709W, and even though I know there is input lag, it has absolutely no impact on my gaming. The only time I notice it is if I have a faster display next to it showing a cloned or spanned desktop, and I intentionally shake the camera/window between the two. However, when using only the single display, my mind instantly adjusts. Maybe I'm just weird, but it is great for me.

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=3725&cp=2#comments

The reviewer said the following:

"Again, I'm not sure how having a wider gamut is supposed to oversaturate colors. Just because a display has a potentially wider gamut doesn't mean you have to use it. Oversaturated reds and blues is a calibration problem, not something inherently wrong with having a higher gamut."

Some people should be forbidden to even go near computers, much less use them, and most definitely not write reviews.

What a joke.

If you're a professional image or video editor, it's possible that the U2711 will fall a bit short. Specifically, we've seen better color accuracy, especially after calibration.
sigh and by the looks of it they were easily impress by the overly saturated colors from wide gamut.

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=3725&cp=2#comments

The reviewer said the following:

"Again, I'm not sure how having a wider gamut is supposed to oversaturate colors. Just because a display has a potentially wider gamut doesn't mean you have to use it. Oversaturated reds and blues is a calibration problem, not something inherently wrong with having a higher gamut."

Some people should be forbidden to even go near computers, much less use them, and most definitely not write reviews.

What a joke.

"Just because a display has a potentially wider gamut doesn't mean you have to use it." Uh huh. Right. And how do I "not use it" when the app isn't color aware? That's what I thought.

You're right. A joke indeed. People who don't know any better shouldn't be reviewers.

Ugg I clicked on the shopping links, and got excited before I realized it was not this model. Release it already!

If this monitor was $750 or less I would buy 3 of them for Eyefinity right now!

Probably not that cheap for a while, but you can sometimes get a good deal off msrp at dell with coupons.

The review mentions that "Processing lag (a.k.a. "input lag") is definitely present, and it appears to be due in part to the digital scaler." I remember when I was first looking for 24" monitors and decided on the Gateway FPD2485W. It was the worst monitor ever, input lag sucked and I could see trails of my mouse and it had some inverted problem which I don't remember. If I recall, the Gateway had a digital scaler and I believe some people blame that for the problems.

So do you think this "digital scaler" that is referred to in the review will be just as bad as the Gateway? This would suck big time, I might as well just save more and get the NEC since that is probably going to be more expensive. Ugh. :(

The review mentions that "Processing lag (a.k.a. "input lag") is definitely present, and it appears to be due in part to the digital scaler." I remember when I was first looking for 24" monitors and decided on the Gateway FPD2485W. If I recall, the Gateway had a digital scaler and I believe some people blame that for the problems... So do you think this "digital scaler" that is referred to in the review will be just as bad as the Gateway?

Graph with input lag

Supposedly it will be on-par. However, their lack of testing it versus a CRT is annoying (even if getting that res is PITA). It looks like it might have a two-three frames of lag, I would guess - to the [H]ardcore that's unacceptable, for noobs like me its kay. EDIT - of course that is a native resolutions. I expect that using a 1080 resolution with it would tack on more lag like a madman.

I would like to see a more scientific review, such as one from ToastyX.

Last edited:
That reviewer should not be anywhere writing reviews for any monitors.

He knows nothing about any of the AG issues or wide gamut problems.

He is clueless.

That reviewer should not be anywhere writing reviews for any monitors.

He knows nothing about any of the AG issues or wide gamut problems.

He is clueless.

Especially at AT, where they usually have some very knowledge writers. This was a disappointment.

Never said anything about White Glow either. The review sucks, trying to measure input lag by compairing to another LCD is rediculas. The pictures are from Dell; none with the display turned on. When are these guys going to learn to do a darkroom blacklevel test?

This guy is clueless

Dave

"RE: High Gamut displays by JarredWalton, 3 hours ago
This is not correct. A high gamut screen has the potential to display a wider range of color, but it doesn't inherently do so."

He's an idiot.

the fact that he does not know what wide gamut does all already proves that his review is fail. i applaud him for his effort though.

Well, I'll research Dell's return policy - I may actually pick one of these up in June, and give it a better test - I know its a long ways off from what the supposed release date actually is, but I'll try to give the correct justice on it.

Last edited:
I don't know; The Dell 2209WA is standard gamut and some of them had tinting issues too. It seems like it was a smaller percentage. Not much help for those that ended up with them. Mostely in europe I think.

We are not talking about TVs here; many computer screens have had the tint issue. Most notable the Dell U2410. Now we are hearing that the 27 in iMac has issues with yellow tint, (at least it is a different color).

Dave

Correct, my 2209wa has horizontal uniformity issues, although I was one of the very first to receive my display on these forums. For the price of the 2209wa, to me, this is kind of acceptable. For the price of the U2711? Absolutely not.

I'm disappointed that this monitor doesn't come with Portrait mode ability. I'll be waiting for the NEC 27" to see if it has that. Also the monitor's high input lag is an issue for gaming.

Back