Dell U2711

I saw the embarrassing contrast ratio rating of 1000:1 and quickly moved on. But hey at least Dell is honest.

1000:1 is a very good CR.
However, it says little without viewing angles and measured black.

Last edited:
CNet didn't say that.

Interesting to compare with the iMac 27": similar panel? WG or not? LED BL or not? What LED with what gamut?
BTW iMac has glow.

I have seen the iMac and it does have white glow, but it is much less then a 3008wfp. Not bad considering it does not have an ATW polarizer.

Here is the quote from the CNet artical and you are right they did not finish whatever they were trying to say.

On the Dell U2410, when viewing dark gray in the SRGB and Adobe RGB presets, we noticed apparent static dithering. We didn't see this dithering at all on the U2711 in either RGB mode or in any of the other presets. This should come as a relief to consumers that viewed this flaw as a major sticking point on the U2410.

The optimal viewing angle for a monitor is usually directly in front, about a quarter of the screen's distance down from the top. At this angle, you're viewing the colors and gamma correction as they were intended. Most monitors are made to be viewed only at that angle. Depending on its panel type, monitor picture quality at nonoptimal angles varies. Dell used an H-IPS panel to make the U2711, which usually shows only minimal color shifts with angle changes. On the U2410, we noticed a faint white glow when viewing dark images at off angles and a dark shadow when viewing light images in the same way, about 120 degrees to the left or right and even less from above. The shift isn't as dramatic as with a TN panel, but it was slightly more dramatic than with the 2408WFP; however, its color didn't shift as much as the perceived brightness did.

We will know alot more when somebody actually gets there hands on one.

Dave

$1049? lolno.

I got my 3007WFP-HC form the Dell Outlet for $750 last year. Brand-spanking new monitor, sealed cables,manuals, and all.

$1049? lolno.

You think that's bad? Try the UK, the U2410 is listed as £499 (ex tax & delivery), in the US it is $499 . Now with the current exchange rate of ~1.6 and Dells math's, that would make the U2711 go for the equivalent of $1678.

Thanks Dell but I think I'll just buy the bloody iMac or the Nec.

Ps: I refuse to take part in Dells panel Lottery

You think that's bad? Try the UK, the U2410 is listed as £499 (ex tax & delivery), in the US it is $499 . Now with the current exchange rate of ~1.6 and Dells math's, that would make the U2711 go for the equivalent of $1678.

Thanks Dell but I think I'll just buy the bloody iMac or the Nec.

Ps: I refuse to take part in Dells panel Lottery

Omg...that's ridiculous. For $1678 the panel better cook, clean, and dance.

Wide-gamut, probably another terrible "sRGB" mode, way overpriced, and probably the same dirty looking anti-glare coating...

Might as well buy a 27" imac and use it as a display at this point..

edit; actually, the NEC's with this panel might be priced about the same, and will probably be a lot better. Does Dell really think they can compete with NEC?

Hi,
are you sure that NEC will make an LCD with this panel? Do you know it’s price?
In this thread you are comparing the Dell with an hypothetical NEC that does not exist…..what's the point?

I totally agree.

-Ugly display
- Important Depth ( for a 27" you can't use it at 30cm)
- No LED...
- Wide Gamut
- Grainy Coating
- 1050$ ! (and 1050 € according to dell conversion)

Now we have to wait for an hypothetical 27" Apple Cinema Display (Imac is great but it's not really cheap when you don't want to change your computer...)

Omg...that's ridiculous. For $1678 the panel better cook, clean, and dance.

DELL prices changes during time, the new 27 will have a lower price than $1000 or EUR 1000, like the U2410 we’ll find interesting offers for this monitor, it’s always the same.

Regarding the hypothetical Apple 27, please consider the actual price of the Apple Cinema 30 (same panel of the 3007WFP without HC: three or four years old) and tell me an hypothetical price of a brand new hypothetical Apple Cinema 27 (that does not exists).

So, I’ll wait for some useful reviews and tests of this monitor before speak, moreover I’ve never saw any official specification about the U2711.

Sorry but this is my point of view.
Bye!!

Hi,
are you sure that NEC will make an LCD with this panel? Do you know it’s price?
In this thread you are comparing the Dell with an hypothetical NEC that does not exist…..what's the point?

Bye!!

Yes, it has been confirmed. NEC released a pdf a month ago or so listing off one, or possibly two displays that are going to be using this panel. It was posted in a thread here, you can dig it up if you want to confirm.

Yes, it has been confirmed. NEC released a pdf a month ago or so listing off one, or possibly two displays that are going to be using this panel. It was posted in a thread here, you can dig it up if you want to confirm.

Ok sorry, I’ve not saw it, when it will be released?
Bye.

I saw the embarrassing contrast ratio rating of 1000:1 and quickly moved on. But hey at least Dell is honest.

There are no IPS monitors with a contrast of significantly > 1000:1. TN and PVA monitors can crack like... 1200:1. You know those 50,000:1, 100,000:1 to numbers you see? They are all 'dynamic contrast' marketing BS, the panel is still only capable of ~1000:1 (in most cases, less).

There are no IPS monitors with a contrast of significantly > 1000:1. TN and PVA monitors can crack like... 1200:1. You know those 50,000:1, 100,000:1 to numbers you see? They are all 'dynamic contrast' marketing BS, the panel is still only capable of ~1000:1 (in most cases, less).

Oh I know about all this I guess I'm just spoiled by the CR of my Plasma. (tested 2,700:1 ANSI contrast) but I could've sworn newer LCD's achieve 1,500 - 2,000 actual CR as well.

EDIT: Ok I found one, the Dell 2408WFP was tested @ 2568:1 CR / 0.06 Blackpoint using it's Dynamic Contrast ratio feature (auto adjusts backlight brightness) I guess this feature is sort of a "trick" to achieve these numbers but TFT Central says the feature works well with movies & games. But It's a shame the 2408 has the worst avg. input lag results of any monitor. (64ms!).

Oh I know about all this I guess I'm just spoiled by the CR of my Plasma. (tested 2,700:1 ANSI contrast) but I could've sworn newer LCD's achieve 1,500 - 2,000 actual CR as well.

EDIT: Ok I found one, the Dell 2408WFP was tested @ 2568:1 CR / 0.06 Blackpoint using it's Dynamic Contrast ratio feature (auto adjusts backlight brightness) I guess this feature is sort of a "trick" to achieve these numbers but TFT Central says the feature works well with movies & games. But It's a shame the 2408 has the worst avg. input lag results of any monitor. (64ms!).

Dynamic contrast ratio is a crock. Static is what matters most. And the hard limitation of 1000:1 static is the ceiling even for top of the line current gen monitors.

Too bad this monitor doesn't pivot. I'll also be interested in seeing how the new NEC 27" compares to this one.

I wish they had actually run the input lag tests instead of saying it had no noticeable input lag. I'd rather have an objective measurement than a subjective statement.

Last edited:
This is true with all S-PVA panels; better blacks and worse input lag. The static CR of the Dell 2408 is still 1000:1. The static CR of the new U2711 will be the same, so the difference is minor at best.

Dave

PS: Try testing the input lag on your plasma...

The dynamic backlight dimming is very noticeable in normal computer use. The ANSI contrast is still close to 1000:1.

Anyways, you are right the newest LCD panels on LCD TVs can now crack 2500:1 ANSI, but these panels are not employed on monitors. Another reason why my next gaming monitor may be a 32" 1080p TV.

This is true with all S-PVA panels; better blacks and worse input lag. The static CR of the Dell 2408 is still 1000:1. The static CR of the new U2711 will be the same, so the difference is minor at best.

Dave

PS: Try testing the input lag on your plasma...

I did when I first bought the plasma and it averages around 30ms lag vs. my CRT (clone mode). Not to bad, at least I haven't noticed while gaming on it over the last 2 years.

it can be handy for movies if you like the technology. some do like it, some dont at all. TFT Central do say "In office use, the changing backlight levels can be annoying and distracting, but in movies and games it can be handy to help bring out detail in darker scenes and brighten the lighter scenes."

I wish they had actually run the input lag tests instead of saying it had no noticeable input lag. I'd rather have an objective measurement than a subjective statement.

assume you mean on the U2711 comments and early reviews rather than the 2408WFP review which did have input lag measurements? :)

I'm gonna go ahead and call it early. Best. LCD. Ever. Because I absolutely trust CNET reviews 100% :D But seriously, it's looking pretty good so far, isn't it? 27" IPS, highest res in a 16:9 (would prefer 16:10, but 2560x1440 softens the blow), matte, dual DVI and DisplayPort. It's like they reached into my brain and made almost exactly the monitor I wanted.

I'm gonna go ahead and call it early. Best. LCD. Ever. Because I absolutely trust CNET reviews 100% :D But seriously, it's looking pretty good so far, isn't it? 27" IPS, highest res in a 16:9 (would prefer 16:10, but 2560x1440 softens the blow), matte, dual DVI and DisplayPort. It's like they reached into my brain and made almost exactly the monitor I wanted.

Except for the price :D ? I hope in your wishlist at least, you were hoping for all that AND a sub $700 price.

I can't call it Best.LCD.Ever until it's on my desk and I've played MW2, Borderlands, Mass Effect 2 and then watched Star Trek on DVD, some video rips, and HDTV sports on it.

I'm torn between this and the U2410 for a triple LCD EyeFinity setup. I can't wait until some units are put through their paces and compared with a U2410 A01, which evidently is now shipping new with A01 firmware.

I can't call it Best.LCD.Ever until it's on my desk and I've played MW2, Borderlands, Mass Effect 2 and then watched Star Trek on DVD, some video rips, and HDTV sports on it.

Cool! Once the Dell U2711 is release please purchase it and do an awesome review for us with lots of pictures! :D

Wide-gamut, probably another terrible "sRGB" mode, way overpriced, and probably the same dirty looking anti-glare coating...

Might as well buy a 27" imac and use it as a display at this point..

edit; actually, the NEC's with this panel might be priced about the same, and will probably be a lot better. Does Dell really think they can compete with NEC?

I agree, and I reckon I'll get the NEC version when it comes out, secondary display for my 27" iMac and primary for my gaming PC. The 27" iMac display is incredible, can't wait to multiply that goodness. It'll probably cost almost as much as an iMac by itself but it'll be worth it. :)

Took a look at a 27" iMac next to a 30" Apple Cinema Display at the Apple store the other day. The 30" still seemed to have significantly more screen size to me. The 27" didn't look much bigger than my 24" (Dell 2407). However, the 27" iMac with it's glossy display really blew me away compared to the matte Cinema Display. I can't imagine Dell's 27" will have a glossy display which has me leaning back towards the 3008. Sigh.

Took a look at a 27" iMac next to a 30" Apple Cinema Display at the Apple store the other day. The 30" still seemed to have significantly more screen size to me. The 27" didn't look much bigger than my 24" (Dell 2407).

Its just your eyes doing funny things to your brain because the difference in screen size/screen real estate between the 30" and 27" is actually much smaller than the difference in screen size between the 27" and 24".

But I'll agree with you that the glossy imac displays really should be the poster childs for glossy displays in general, because hot damn they simply look amazing (provided you can control the lighting, and provided you're not using it for professional color work).

Its just your eyes doing funny things to your brain because the difference in screen size/screen real estate between the 30" and 27" is actually much smaller than the difference in screen size between the 27" and 24".

Nope, he is right. You are forgetting. The 27" is 16:9 and that makes it much smaller.

The 27" is barely bigger than the 24" except in width. While the 30" is a big jump in both dimensions.

And it just isn't in vertical, total area is +20% 24" vs 27", but +30% 27" vs 30".

Check it out:
http://tvcalculator.com/index.html?b6099e4f60a5ee33e7c6cec0278bdac0
Edit: Add image:
sizecompare.png

Last edited:
Nope, he is right. You are forgetting. The 27" is 16:9 and that makes it much smaller.

The 27" is barely bigger than the 24" except in width. While the 30" is a big jump in both dimensions.

And it just isn't in vertical, total area is +20% 24" vs 27", but +30% 27" vs 30".

Check it out:
http://tvcalculator.com/index.html?b6099e4f60a5ee33e7c6cec0278bdac0

Thank you very much for pointing this out. My wife has the new 27" iMac and whenever I use it I always thought I was going a little crazy since it didnt seem that much bigger than my 24" Samsung 245bw. I was contemplating getting the new Dell 27" when it came out but now that I see the difference in size is not that big, I might hold out still for a nice 30" monitor.

Maybe Apple will re-release the 30" Cinema display with the new updated specs of its other monitors?

Uh are you talking about physical monitor dimensions or actual useable on screen space? Because if you're talking about the latter the difference between 24 and 27 is much more than the difference between 27 and 30...

Uh are you talking about physical monitor dimensions or actual useable on screen space? Because if you're talking about the latter the difference between 24 and 27 is much more than the difference between 27 and 30...

Clearly it has a lot more resolution, But I think it is pretty clear we are talking about physical size of the LCD panel itself as indicated by several posts so far. It isn't much larger physically than a 24".

IMO, the resolution is overrated at this density. You pretty much have to lean in, to resolve that resolution.

Even a 30" has a very small pixels (I had one for a while).

If anything I would much rather have 2560 resolution at 32", than 27".

The physical monitor dimensions. Another downside to bumping the resolution so high on the new iMac's without really increasing the screen space is that tiny dot pitch on the monitor. At first I thought I really liked how tight and accurate it looked, but it can start to wear on you through extended periods of use.

I think the 30" monitor is still the sweet spot in terms of size/pixel density.

Yes. I have a 27" iMac and a NEC 2490WUXi as its secondary display.

The 27" and the 24" are roughly the same physical height, with the 27" obviously being much wider.

The main difference is in pixel density. When I drag a window from the 27" to the 24" it gets absolutely massive. The 27" gives you much more desktop real estate due to the increase in pixel count. I actually don't need to run Final Cut Studio in dual monitor mode like I did with my old 24" iMac.

If you don't like the pixel density then it can be a problem, but then again it is very easy to resize text to be more comfortable for reading. I personally love it and look forward to buying NEC's 27" for my iMac secondary display and PC primary display whenever it comes out. A 30" would be just a notch too big for my desktop but another 27" would be perfect.

Back