Dell U2414h

It looks to me that you have a perfect display. No backlight bleeding is great. Mine has slight bleeding all the way around the display. The IPS glow is no different than every other IPS display I've ever owned.

What was your previous display?

One of those early BenQ 120hz monitors, I don't recall the model name. It had a TN panel, and didn't glow like this monitor.

Today I received a BenQ VA monitor I had planned to return, but I figured I'd try it, now that I'd been so disappointed by the Dell monitor. The result is obvious, with only very little glow from both lower corners: http://i.imgur.com/Uuk2BsW.jpg

One of those early BenQ 120hz monitors, I don't recall the model name. It had a TN panel, and didn't glow like this monitor.

Today I received a BenQ VA monitor I had planned to return, but I figured I'd try it, now that I'd been so disappointed by the Dell monitor. The result is obvious, with only very little glow from both lower corners: http://i.imgur.com/Uuk2BsW.jpg

I'll be glad when OLED tech is available so we can get rid of the glow, but until then, IPS is the only panel type I've found acceptable. I tried a VA panel a few months ago and found the gamma shift to be much more noticeable in daily use than the glow of an IPS display. There are tradeoffs to all panel types: You just have to find what works best for you.

This model is on sale for $269.99 on Dells website, if anyone was on the fence about it.

I have a feeling the price cut is do to the fact there is quite o few problems with this current revision. The display port not putting out the full color range with nvidia GPUs is what kept me away.

Just grabbed two with the $269.99 price, thanks.

I have a Dell 3008WFP and it will be in the middle and two U2414H on either side as portrait mode.
Not sure if this setup will look good or not but I need those space for some other applications/web pages for references.

Please keep in mind that not all DP cables are built equally. I have a bin full of bad ones, or at least "less good" ones to know. I don't trust cables that come in the box to be anything more than what they cost. I have more than once changed cables and gotten a complete change in behavior. Just keep it in mind before you toss a possibly perfectly working monitor.

The problem of RGB range covered with Nvidia card how depends ? Is it fixed now ?
Why anyone talk about ? I think a serious problem of this monitor.

The problem of RGB range covered with Nvidia card how depends ? Is it fixed now ?
Why anyone talk about ? I think a serious problem of this monitor.

No, the 16-235 color range over HDMI/DP issue is a long-standing Nvidia problem that they refuse to fix. Who knows why they won't fix it (seriously, does anyone know?) but you can fix it for HDMI with this simple tool:

http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=83

Edit: Thanks to Lava Lamp Freak (next post) for an excellent explanation of the DP part of this issue.

Last edited:
No, the 16-235 color range over HDMI/DP issue is a long-standing Nvidia problem that they refuse to fix. Who knows why they won't fix it (seriously, does anyone know?) but you can fix it with this simple tool:

That only fixes it with HDMI, but it doesn't fix it with DP. To fix it with DP you have to make a custom resolution. I didn't want to do that, so I used HDMI and that tool. And that doesn't really fix it for DP anyway since some games ignore custom resolutions and will still send it as 16-235 to the display. With HDMI and the fix it is truly fixed.

No, the 16-235 color range over HDMI/DP issue is a long-standing Nvidia problem that they refuse to fix. Who knows why they won't fix it (seriously, does anyone know?) but you can fix it for HDMI with this simple tool:

Edit: Thanks to Lava Lamp Freak (next post) for an excellent explanation of the DP part of this issue.

That only fixes it with HDMI, but it doesn't fix it with DP. To fix it with DP you have to make a custom resolution. I didn't want to do that, so I used HDMI and that tool. And that doesn't really fix it for DP anyway since some games ignore custom resolutions and will still send it as 16-235 to the display. With HDMI and the fix it is truly fixed.

You can alternatively just use a HDMI to DVI cable and the GPU will recognize it as a PC only connection.

I don't know what issues of quality can come from using converters, somone else would have to inform you of that.

Makes you wonder why they just didn't opt to use a DVI over hdmi in the first place.

Hello guys! I'm considering buying this monitor. It'll be used mainly for office work and some graphic design and photo editing (especially once I'll get a new digital camera). Seems like this should suit my current needs quite well.
However, I'm concerned about the RGB color range issue. Currently I have only Macbook Pro mid-2009 with NVIDIA GeForce 9400M. Do you think I'll have this problem with my current setup using the mini displayport?

I am using sRGB, tried 10k, but look badly bluish and still way of. Some colors are more less of, for etc, blue green, but grey is completely different color.

Hi guys, can you please give some feedback about output quality of HDMI sources at 1080i or 720P, such as Xbox or sky-box?

I guess 1080p is perfect but I'd like to know more about up-scaled sources.

Thanks

I am using sRGB, tried 10k, but look badly bluish and still way of. Some colors are more less of, for etc, blue green, but grey is completely different color.

Did you install the monitor driver from the dell website? If so, check your color management settings to see if it defaulted the proper color profile. There is also a self-diagnostic test you can do on the monitor. I believe it's by holding the first and fourth button at the same time, excluding the power button. It should display a few colors as you press any button to cycle through them. You can use this to check the color tones without any color profiles or software interfering which should help determine if the monitor is the culprit.

Hello guys! I'm considering buying this monitor. It'll be used mainly for office work and some graphic design and photo editing (especially once I'll get a new digital camera). Seems like this should suit my current needs quite well.
However, I'm concerned about the RGB color range issue. Currently I have only Macbook Pro mid-2009 with NVIDIA GeForce 9400M. Do you think I'll have this problem with my current setup using the mini displayport?

There is a way to fix it on a Mac.

http://www.ireckon.net/2013/03/forc...ix-the-picture-quality-of-an-external-monitor

I am starting to think that the problem is not in monitor, but in computer. I did a test, took the photo of the grey part of the dell manual and on the monitor it looks like the real life color and on Dell E5530 and HP Probook 4530s it is a way different color. And the white color is not as white because of that the monitor is 250 max brightness and E5530 is above that. Can it be like that ?

It seems I am going full circle and am considering buying three of these in an nvidea sound setup. I went from this monitor as my original choice, then decided to waiting for 3 x Rog Swift 27" screens. To push 3 x 27" ROG Swifts at 1440p and 120hz needs an enormous amount of GPU power (I don't think 2 water cooled Titan Blacks couldn't even handle it on ultra settings).

A few questions please:
1) What GPU or GPUs can push 3 of these monitors on ultra settings (bf4...)?
2) I am hoping that I can build a good value rig for now with a view to upgrade it when the new Maxwell GPUs come out.
If I went with with:
x79 motherboard
4930k CPU
3 of these screens
A good gpu to last till the end of the year (based on question 1 above)

Would this set me up perfectly for an end of year upgrade to the Maxwell GPUs? Then I can pickup the ROG Swifts or the best 4k monitor at the end of the year and use these screens in my office setup.

4) Does this sound like a solid plan? Any advice or other components that I should wait for due to big spec improvements over the year?

5) Are there any areas that these Dell screens better the ROG Swifts?

THANKS!

This U2414H is good for gaming ?
Its one of fastest IPS ?

Fastest than previous models ? and against FS2333 ?

It seems I am going full circle and am considering buying three of these in an nvidea sound setup. I went from this monitor as my original choice, then decided to waiting for 3 x Rog Swift 27" screens. To push 3 x 27" ROG Swifts at 1440p and 120hz needs an enormous amount of GPU power (I don't think 2 water cooled Titan Blacks couldn't even handle it on ultra settings).

A few questions please:
1) What GPU or GPUs can push 3 of these monitors on ultra settings (bf4...)?
2) I am hoping that I can build a good value rig for now with a view to upgrade it when the new Maxwell GPUs come out.
If I went with with:
x79 motherboard
4930k CPU
3 of these screens
A good gpu to last till the end of the year (based on question 1 above)

Would this set me up perfectly for an end of year upgrade to the Maxwell GPUs? Then I can pickup the ROG Swifts or the best 4k monitor at the end of the year and use these screens in my office setup.

4) Does this sound like a solid plan? Any advice or other components that I should wait for due to big spec improvements over the year?

5) Are there any areas that these Dell screens better the ROG Swifts?

THANKS!

If you don't mind 1080p max resolution you can go with nVidia GPU but if you want to do more and with Display port you'll need to go AMD. An R290x is killing it these days on triple setups and display ports. My GTX770sc would not do ANY display ports and only HDMI outputs to get my 3 U2414H monitors working in surround. They work and look great in iRacing using HDMI so no complaints here.

OH and thin bezels KICK ASS!

Pic before adding the computer and connections. :eek:
DHYSQLa.jpg

Any recommendations for a video card to drive 6 of these?

The primary use will be desktop/windows where I need to be able to maximize windows on each screen (for stock charts, spreadsheets etc..). I also want to game occasionally.. just COD, Battlefield and SWTOR.

Can I daisy chain the display port using either AMD or Nvidia? This would allow me to use a Titan Black, 290X etc... right? (1xDP MST to 4 displays, 1xHDMI, 1xDVI)

Would games be mirrored on each display or would they get stretched across all the displays? Can I make them only stretch across the bottom 3?

I'm hoping I can use iShadow to manage screens when in windows, but not sure about games?

for those who were able to daisy chain 3 monitors (or more) which video card and driver are you using? Spent the last few days on this and got nothing. If i did get it to chain the mouse stuttering was so terrible it wasn't practical for real use.

It's on sale again. It's around $220 now with the 10% off coupon. If you ordered in the past 30 days, do a live chat and they will refund the difference. Must be quick before the price changes though.

What is the consensus on these?

I am in the market for a new monitor around 24", and am looking for a good all-around gaming monitor. I was looking at the ASUS VG248QE, but it seems like it has pretty terrible colors and darks.

I just want an all-around GOOD looking and performing monitor with good/decent blacks for under $300.

Hello guys!
I bought one of these also, but it seems it has a weird glow on 2 of the edges.
In the picture below on the left is a LG 23EA63V-P wich has little glow and on the right is the U2414H. The picture is a good aproximation of what it looks like in real life.
ol1u.jpg

And mine too has the upper bezel a little bit bent and i can see the backlight thru it.
I love it's white, it's just gorgeous, and those thin bezels.... but is the glow low enough to keep? I find it a little disturbing.

Hello guys!
I bought one of these also, but it seems it has a weird glow on 2 of the edges.
In the picture below on the left is a LG 23EA63V-P wich has little glow and on the right is the U2414H. The picture is a good aproximation of what it looks like in real life.

And mine too has the upper bezel a little bit bent and i can see the backlight thru it.
I love it's white, it's just gorgeous, and those thin bezels.... but is the glow low enough to keep? I find it a little disturbing.

The glow on mine doesn't seem to be any worse than any other IPS display I've had. The bleed on mine is the only thing I don't like. I can see it easily at the left and bottom when watching a movie.

0vyp.jpg

If you don't mind 1080p max resolution you can go with nVidia GPU but if you want to do more and with Display port you'll need to go AMD. An R290x is killing it these days on triple setups and display ports. My GTX770sc would not do ANY display ports and only HDMI outputs to get my 3 U2414H monitors working in surround. They work and look great in iRacing using HDMI so no complaints here.

OH and thin bezels KICK ASS!

Pic before adding the computer and connections. :eek:
DHYSQLa.jpg

great set up lol I guess you only play racing...

The glow on mine doesn't seem to be any worse than any other IPS display I've had. The bleed on mine is the only thing I don't like. I can see it easily at the left and bottom when watching a movie.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/23/0vyp.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if re-seating the frame or the tape mod would fix it. There are some tutorials like this one that show some success. The only problem is the u2414h frame is very unique and would probably be a pain to disassemble.

Last edited:
Just a note for anyone on the fence about this monitor...

I have gone from a FW900 to a V2400W and now the U2414H. For the money it's really an excellent monitor for office work and gaming. Colors are excellent and the contrast is above average IMO. I am also using it for my 360 and it's worked excellent via HDMI for that. I am going to be doing a tri-monitor setup in the near future (not for gaming) and am leaning towards buying two more of these instead of going 120hz with the new BenQ's. I'm likely going to stay 1080p as even at 27" the higher resolution I'm just not a fan of due to eye strain. 24" 1080p is small enough. If you are OK with 1080p and no 120hz this monitor is great for gaming... motion blur IMO is OK and input lag (I'm very picky here) is very low and feels more responsive than my previous V2400W which was a good monitor on it's own. The sub <15ms input lag figures I've seen floating around are accurate

I have bough a Dell u2414h because dell claim its flicker free (my eyes are very sensitive to flicker). The problem is that i have done a video with my iphone 5 and the screen flicker from 0% to 100% brightness. Do you think it is from the iphone camera or there is a problem with the monitor? I connect the monitor with hdmi cable to a 5 year old laptop. I also install u2414h latest drivers for windows 7 64.

Video from my new u2414h flickering.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNIC4Z5WQY8&feature=youtu.be

Another video at 50% brightness and 60% contrast..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuHd_WYaa50&feature=youtu.be

REV A00
Date of mfg October 2013

Sorry about my poor english. Thanks!

Last edited:
So, I got a U2414H the other day at Microcenter. Unfortunately, I seem to be having the issue where it will randomly just turn off. A couple times it's actually turned itself on, too. I haven't had any issues with the menus coming on, though. It just changes its power state. The input dialog does come up when I turn it back on after it powers off.

I'm wondering if there's something that's somehow interacting with the capacitive button, like if there's something going on with that. I've noticed that if I lick my finger and wipe around the button (all mom-style cleaning LOL) that it won't change power state for quite a while. I haven't tried, yet, cleaning it with something like a water or windex dampened paper towel, though.

So, I got a U2414H the other day at Microcenter. Unfortunately, I seem to be having the issue where it will randomly just turn off. A couple times it's actually turned itself on, too. I haven't had any issues with the menus coming on, though. It just changes its power state. The input dialog does come up when I turn it back on after it powers off.

I'm wondering if there's something that's somehow interacting with the capacitive button, like if there's something going on with that. I've noticed that if I lick my finger and wipe around the button (all mom-style cleaning LOL) that it won't change power state for quite a while. I haven't tried, yet, cleaning it with something like a water or windex dampened paper towel, though.
Not many people have this problem, eh? It's still going on for me. I'd have exchanged it by now but the Microcenter where I bought it has been out of stock.

Just got 3x of these straight from the factory last week. They are rev A01. I don't see any fixes with this revision, still having issues with daisy chaining as well as Nvidia cards not recognizing these as monitors, outputting limited RGB to them both via HDMI and DP.

Anyone else pick these up recently with A01 or higher? See any differences? Tempted to return these and go for the LG UM95 instead

Just got 3x of these straight from the factory last week. They are rev A01...

What's the manufacturing date? I saw one from march and that was still A00. Maybe what they fixed is the issue where it turns off (and sometimes on) by itself.

I had two P2414H and one U2414H from march and for some reason they all had a high pitched noise problem. For the U2414H you could hear it no matter what (even in standby), and for the P2414H's I could provoke it by visiting the langom.nl clock and phase test but not hear it otherwise.

What's the manufacturing date? I saw one from march and that was still A00. Maybe what they fixed is the issue where it turns off (and sometimes on) by itself.

I had two P2414H and one U2414H from march and for some reason they all had a high pitched noise problem. For the U2414H you could hear it no matter what (even in standby), and for the P2414H's I could provoke it by visiting the langom.nl clock and phase test but not hear it otherwise.

My order was delayed 2 weeks because they were being manufactured, so my guess is late April (I don't have the boxes in front of me).

Had a weird issue where one of them would randomly lose signal and go into energy savings mode when they were used as 3 separate, extended desktop monitors (3x 1920x1080) via HDMI. Didn't have this issue when running them in Nvidia surround (1x 5760x1080) via HDMI. Daisy chaining via DP was the most frustrating, would not receive signal after a reboot, and when it was working (after unplugging the monitor and re-plugging), it would lag like crazy. I am not having any issues with high pitch noises, however.

Does anyone has any solution on the random on and off problem yet? Was considering a 5 x 1 portrait but now this...... Gonna be awkward if one of the monitor suddenly die on me when my friend is around.

Does anyone has any solution on the random on and off problem yet? Was considering a 5 x 1 portrait but now this...... Gonna be awkward if one of the monitor suddenly die on me when my friend is around.
My Microcenter finally got more in stock last week so I exchanged mine. The new one is working just fine. Might be as simple as that for you.

I certainly hope that the defect is related to a bad batch of monitors and hopeful the new batch which most probably is what you have received is problem free.

I certainly hope that the defect is related to a bad batch of monitors and hopeful the new batch which most probably is what you have received is problem free.

I'm pretty certain it is, because my current one doesn't have that problem and is from December 2013.

One observation: I had another one from December 2013 before which had the on/off problem and also didn't properly go into standby when the video signal disappeared. It always wanted to wait 5 minutes before giving up and going into standby. Maybe those problems are even related.

Back